You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
GambitHG

Rudder Destruction?

16 comments in this topic

Members
409 posts
11,832 battles

I was just playing a game of ranked in my Amalfi, got focused and took a couple of hits and was told "Rudder Destroyed!" I was dead in another 30 seconds as I could only WS and no AD and my engine got knocked out for good measure.

Has anyone ever had their ship's rudder destroyed in a match before? Of course I've had rudders knocked out, but never destroyed. Is that a new damage mode from the new patch?

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
29,893 posts
25,782 battles

Rudder, Engine Modules never get destroyed.  They can get damaged where their performance drops severely, but never outright destroyed with the ship doing a Bismarck or permanently dead in the water.  Eventually those modules will autorepair on their own.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
27,938 posts
14,888 battles
13 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Rudder, Engine Modules never get destroyed.  They can get damaged where their performance drops severely, but never outright destroyed with the ship doing a Bismarck or permanently dead in the water.  Eventually those modules will autorepair on their own.

They are destroyed in that unless you have Last Stand they are inoperable for a period of time. Last Stand is pretty much a must on both Italian and French cruisers because they lose the rudder & engine if someone looks at you in a mean way.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
29,893 posts
25,782 battles
51 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

They are destroyed in that unless you have Last Stand they are inoperable for a period of time. Last Stand is pretty much a must on both Italian and French cruisers because they lose the rudder & engine if someone looks at you in a mean way.

"Destroyed" implies the damage being permanent.  A module being out for a period of time and then returning isn't what I'd call "Destroyed."

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
27,938 posts
14,888 battles
18 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

"Destroyed" implies the damage being permanent.  A module being out for a period of time and then returning isn't what I'd call "Destroyed."

Yeah, they chose the wrong term but there are more important things to fix.

[CO-OP]
Members
2,856 posts
28,505 battles

As other have said, you can't destroy your steering:

Damage to Modules

Modules have three possible states:

1. Undamaged (functions normally)
  2. Critically damaged or disabled (temporarily not functioning)
  3. Destroyed (does not function for the remainder of the battle)

Damage to a module can occur when a ship receives damage; the fewer surviving hit points a module has, the higher the chance of receiving critical damage. Modules that are already critically damaged that receive large additional amounts of damage are more likely to be destroyed. Any modules that are disabled will repair automatically, which takes a certain amount of time, or they can be immediately repaired via the Damage Control Party (When activated, instantly repairs fires, floods, and incapacitations, and prevents more for the duration.) consumable. In both cases, only the disabled state of the module is corrected; any hit points lost by the module are not restored.

Type Can be Damaged Can be Destroyed Found on Number of modules on the ship
Hull - Ships of all classes One
Engine - Ships of all classes One
Steering Gear - Ships of all classes One
Magazine - Ships of all classes, except aircraft carriers Several
Main Battery Guns Ships of all classes, except aircraft carriers Several
Fire Control System - - Ships of all classes, except aircraft carriers One
Anti-Aircraft Guns - Ships of all classes, depending on tier Several
Secondary Battery Guns - Most ships of all classes and some destroyers Several
Torpedoes All destroyers, many cruisers, and some battleships Several
Flight Control - - Aircraft carriers One
Aircraft (attack planes, dive bombers, and torpedo bombers) - Aircraft carriers Several
  • Cool 1

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Banned
16,985 posts

IMO, AA and secondaries should be harder to destroy, but some of that "space" in which they're destroyed now should instead be a damaged status.

Would resolve some of the issues with the AA system. 

[REKTD]
Members
533 posts
10,828 battles
2 hours ago, GambitHG said:

I was just playing a game of ranked in my Amalfi, got focused and took a couple of hits and was told "Rudder Destroyed!" I was dead in another 30 seconds as I could only WS and no AD and my engine got knocked out for good measure.

Has anyone ever had their ship's rudder destroyed in a match before? Of course I've had rudders knocked out, but never destroyed. Is that a new damage mode from the new patch?

Most likely as others have mentioned it was on a timer and had you not been sunk would have restored rudder control.

I have, on a single occasion in over 8k matches, had a glitch where my engine was permanently destroyed. Queen Elizabeth, at open sea, and after a torpedo hit I was dead in the water, with red engine controls. As I sunk the offending destroyer, I was left on the east side of Two Brothers (infernal & detested map) with no targets and no engine to even get into the cap. It simply stayed red, no timer, and repair party would not work. 7 minutes went by until an enemy sailed into range and I got to play target practice. Had I known of replays at the time...

Edited by SuperComm4

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
2,561 posts

I have not had rudders pernamently destroyed yet.

What I do is use last stand and sometimes engine protection on little ships that suffer excessive damage.

To be stopped dead in battle means to be sunk summarily. Forget repairing anything. You don't get to float long enough to do that.

Since this is your generic arcade game your alternatives such as dividing engine power port and starboard etc to manage the rudder loss is not availible to you.

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
6,356 posts
19,364 battles

Never seen it destroyed.  It can be damaged making it useless until restored(either via timeout or DCP).

Last stand....ALL of my DD (captains) and ALL of my CA/CL (captains) have it.

• Cool 1

Members
400 posts
26 battles

Since update 0.10.0 last month everyone has a discount last stand when it comes to Engine damage.

I'm not sure but I don't think it applies to rudder damage. If you don't have your DCP ready it should however always eventually be repaired.

Engine damage

When a ship's engine is critically damaged, it now continues to function at 20% efficiency instead of stopping entirely.

Edited by SoothingWhaleSongEU

[WOLF7]
Members
876 posts
13 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Playing Scharn or Tirp, you hear that a lot. "Torpedo tubes destroyed!!" Those don't get repaired. 

[SGSS]
Members
5,787 posts
17 hours ago, BrushWolf said:

Dont forget about NO.

[REVY]
Members
2,640 posts
14,485 battles
18 hours ago, GambitHG said:

have you a replay you could post?

The replay would provide us with the evidence of rudder destruction.

In all the time I have been playing, I have never had, nor heard of a rudder being destroyed and would really like to see this.

[STRM]
Beta Testers
31 posts

It happened to me once a long time ago. Engine was down with no way to repair and no timer on my Hawkins. I think it's a really rare bug.