You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
black_hull4

So This Is Why People Keep Going Into The Map Border(Speculation)

21 comments in this topic

Members
1,178 posts
1,681 battles

I tried to attack this Hermes with HE bombs today.1070172373_2021-02-24(1).thumb.png.d619c5c6be515ca865fa0a1fd15c48dc.png

Flak ahead, bank left, bank right, steady on target, climb, dive, flaps out, yaw right, aim for the island, steady on tar-WHAT THE :etc_swear:?!?!?

As soon as the bulls-eye passes over the arrester wire all planes do a snap roll to port and pull out of the dive. Turns out the border avoidance system screwed me over. Is this why so many people hug the map border when the game is almost lost? So you can't bomb them? Luckily one bomb did hit the flight deck edge, but since the Royal Navy puts armored decks on their aircraft carriers all it did was do ~2400.

Wargaming, can you please extend the plane avoidance to 1 km outside the map? This is blatant abuse of a mechanic in the game since the beginning.

Edited by black_hull4
wrong direction

[ICOP]
[ICOP]
Members
450 posts
2 minutes ago, black_hull4 said:

I tried to attack this Hermes with HE bombs today.1070172373_2021-02-24(1).thumb.png.d619c5c6be515ca865fa0a1fd15c48dc.png

Flak ahead, bank left, bank right, steady on target, climb, dive, flaps out, yaw left, aim for the island, steady on tar-WHAT THE :etc_swear:?!?!?

As soon as the bulls-eye passes over the arrester wire all planes do a snap roll to port and pull out of the dive. Turns out the border avoidance system screwed me over. Is this why so many people hug the map border when the game is almost lost? So you can't bomb them? Luckily one bomb did hit the flight deck edge, but since the Royal Navy puts armored decks on their aircraft carriers all it did was do ~2400.

Wargaming, can you please extend the plane avoidance to 1 km outside the map? This is blatant abuse of a mechanic in the game since the beginning.

What it should be is a hard map edge.  If you go over this line for x seconds you are considered disengaged and booted back to lobby.

• Cool 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 1

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
2,512 posts

You can hang a ship over the edge wall line by more than half it's length. We discovered this last year when we were engaging (Four of us were BB's at 5 km range and one was a DD with us) against a human carrier who was using FULL power driving STRAIGHT out or off the map itself by more than half his length.

ALL OF OUR SHOOTING and torps DO NOT do any material damage to that ship in such a situation.

There has been times Ive allowed my shima to hang off the edge of the map accepting the engine penalty in exchange for being inside what I think is a Null Equipped server imposed boundry itself so that most of the incoming fire from humans who have turned around to sink me does not have a effect.

As knowledge spreads of this, more and more people will deliberately try this out. I think it's a exploit or a cheat. But when you think about it, the Wows Developers who built the game failed to incorperate a sort of endless tiles. Like in Novalogic First Person Shooters, you could run or fly or drive far enough to be off the original tile and the server will issue you a new tiled world to continue your journey in any direction. It became possible to generate 2500 meter sniper shots while being a faint black dot to anyone who can see you with sufficient optics. You needed a High DPI mouse at that point (Which was new and early with the new laser scanning) to calm the aiming enough to hit a dinner plate sized dot at 2500 meters game distance.

In Wows the immediate problem is you have effing 8000 miles by 6000 of pacific ocean to fight in and sometimes the battle situation in the game spills out of the 30 by 50 box that we fight in. No wonder people started hanging off edges.

Edited by xHeavy

[SGSS]
Members
5,743 posts
1 minute ago, Ramagar_RoK said:

What it should be is a hard map edge.  If you go over this line for x seconds you are considered disengaged and booted back to lobby.

The boarder has been a problem for a long time.

• Haha 1

[WOLFG]
Members
11,782 posts
10,933 battles
2 minutes ago, Ramagar_RoK said:

It should be like a lumberjack match.  You ship is tossed back in to face the music.

[LOU1]
Members
4,249 posts
12,713 battles

It actually used to be more pronounced, but WOWS made some changes.  One change was to add the engine power penalty.  Supposedly, they also made it so that you could still be damaged.

Members
1,178 posts
1,681 battles
6 minutes ago, DrHolmes52 said:

You ship is tossed back in to face the music.

A border that rejects ships? I like it! It would also solve that glitch where people get stuck on the border accidentally.

9 minutes ago, Ramagar_RoK said:

If you go over this line for x seconds you are considered disengaged and booted back to lobby.

A bit harsh on people who did it by accident, but perhaps it would lead to better situational awareness.

[KMS]
[KMS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,738 posts
12,615 battles

Ya, that is the reason we all go to the border.  If you getting pinned in the corner then you hit the wall.  I don't find this done a lot.

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
2,512 posts

We used to pin people down in the gym (Against the wall) during really aggressive game play.

Block the effectives off and whats left are the low speed slow dweebs you can then dominate and force the ball to the goal.

The Staff took notice of that. They took us outside and told us to play inside this football field. Any one going out is removed from recess and sent to detention for remainder of the time.

Edited by xHeavy

[SALVO]
Members
6,944 posts
5,502 battles

As long as the choices are the ropes or go broadside, the ropes will prevail.

[4HIM]
[4HIM]
Beta Testers
2,251 posts
16,098 battles

It happens every now and then, it is not a full proof method to avoid damage.  I actually do not recommend it if your trying to escape, unless there is literally no place to go.  CVs should be excused if you see this happens, I can't believe I am even making an excuse for CVs, but they usually are focused elsewhere than on their ship.

Members
680 posts
220 battles
3 hours ago, black_hull4 said:

Flak ahead, bank left, bank right, steady on target, climb, dive, flaps out, yaw left, aim for the island, steady on tar-WHAT THE :etc_swear:?!?!?

Your option while valid. here are 2 other options

1. WG should copy [edited] (like they have done before) with the bouncy borders.  e.g. all objects hitting the border are bashed back towards the middle. 

2.  Join the flat earth, anything on the border falls off.

Personally, I like option 2.

• Funny 1

Members
142 posts

Hard map borders are one of the more archaic features of WG's platforms. Open worlds have been pretty common among major MMO publishers for more than ten years now.

While some might fear an open sea would lead to over-long matches due to craven cowardice, the mere existence of caps makes staying near the center of action a good idea. The chicken$1ts kiters would contribute nothing to victory, because the undefended caps would be ripe for the picking.

• Cool 3

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
27,867 posts
14,882 battles
3 hours ago, ExploratorOne said:

It actually used to be more pronounced, but WOWS made some changes.  One change was to add the engine power penalty.  Supposedly, they also made it so that you could still be damaged.

Ships on the border can be damaged but you have to aim to hit parts of the ship that are not over the border. I have punished more than a few that tried to use the border for protection.

[GOB]
Members
2,709 posts

Needs to be serious before people will stop abusing it. 

We ALL have run into it in the heat of battle BUT like most other FPS if you stay too long it should kill you.

• Cool 1

[WHS]
Members
254 posts
4,044 battles

You can also dodge incoming shells well by doing some sideways sliding across the border.

Border should drain credits and XP from the battle, that'll make sure they stay away.

• Cool 1

[JHF]
[JHF]
Members
298 posts
5,078 battles

Funny, I never seen anyone do that with a CC.  Usually just another ship class but then seldom looks like its done on purpose.  Just makes targeting it a little tricky .  I do notice that using a CV (in a squadron) that you can make a squadron do quick reverse by flying into the border.  It sling shots you back rather fast.  So if done properly you can attack a ship thats near a border, sling shot off the border right back into another attack.

The trick is great when the enemy ship is running parallel about 10km from the border. It is situational but its also a way to get in an extra aerial torpedo attack close to the border line.

Members
1,178 posts
1,681 battles
12 minutes ago, wooserloop said:

Funny, I never seen anyone do that with a CC

CV?

Members
1,178 posts
1,681 battles
2 hours ago, Froggy_McFrogface said:

because the undefended caps would be ripe for the picking.

And this is why I get a cap if I see one. Even if the last enemy is AFK, stay in the cap, force anyone left on the enemy team to do something.