You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
_Thanagor_

The length measure doesn't add up.

20 comments in this topic

[SEAST]
Members
71 posts
11,173 battles

It takes about 13 seconds for a shell from Kansas to reach a distance of 20km. It would require a 1.53km/s horizontal speed to do so, and even a much higher speed since the shell goes a curve. Meanwhile, the initial shell speed is only 768m/s, and it will decrease rapidly due to air friction.

Also, 1 knot is roughly 0.5 m/s, or 30 m/Minute. 20 knots is 600 m/Minute. Slow as Kansas, I still travelled 60 km in a 20 minutes' game. 

So, what is 1 meter in game?

[O_O]
Members
6,966 posts
16,961 battles

I have read several posts throughout the years discussing scale in this game.  To be fair, I don't believe WG ever claimed scale was accurate.

Members
399 posts
26 battles

YES MY TIME TO SHINE! 

Posted about this back in October. It's an obsessive topic of mine.

Short Answer:
Ships are twice as big as they should be, but scaled to each other.
Ships & torpedoes travel x5.22 faster than reality.
Shells fly x2.61 faster than reality. Half of the speed multiplication of ships and torpedoes.

This is from finally finding an official WG answer. (I think it was originally a RU Q&A back in September 2016):

The Q&A by BadPreacher and Sub_Octavian dated September 13 2016

Q: I heard that the ships move five times the real speed and the shells fly twice as fast. Have you increased the speed, or shrunk the distances? How does doubling the speed of shells influence their ballistics?

A: Let me explain this in some detail. 1. There are two types of distance measures in the game, the ship meter (relevant to the ships) and the ballistic meter (relevant to the shells in flight).

2. One ship meter equals two shell meters, which means that the ships are twice their real size.

3. The ballistics trajectories are computed with maximum realism, but are flattened to make tracing shots and aiming easier.

4. The speeds of ships, torpedoes and planes are increased by a factor 5.22 relative the ballistic meter.

5. The speeds of shell are increased by a factor 2.61 relative to the ballistic meter.

6. The detonators on the AP shells are modelled based on gameplay considerations.

The *really* weird thing however is I am *pretty sure* dispersion formula are also doubled. So when it says a US battleships has horizontal dispersion of "210m" when firing at 15km away then if you use the in game range finder it would actually match to 420m.

I attempted to confirm this with some really dubious copy/pasting in this thread.

@hanesco and @LittleWhiteMouse could confirm this.

Edited by SoothingWhaleSongEU
  • Cool 2
  • Thanks 3

[SEAST]
Members
71 posts
11,173 battles
8 minutes ago, SoothingWhaleSongEU said:

YES MY TIME TO SHINE! 

Short Answer:
Shells fly x2.61 faster than reality. Half of the speed multiplication of ships and torpedoes.

This is from finally finding an official WG answer. (I think it was originally a RU Q&A back in September 2016):

The *really* weird thing however is I am *pretty sure* dispersion formula are also doubled. So when it says a US battleships has horizontal dispersion of "210m" when firing at 15km away then if you use the in game range finder it would actually match to 410m.

. @hanesco and @LittleWhiteMouse could confirm this.

That is a very interesting post to read! Thanks a lot!

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
3,919 posts

sounds like a good excuse for a "how it was" event... scale all ships, size, speed and dispersion values to more accurate values for a temporary  event...  i'd expect the roi on that would be a big negative, but still something i would love to see to get a closer idea of what it looks like from onboard a rl ship in combat...

• Cool 1

[O_O]
Members
6,966 posts
16,961 battles
Just now, SKurj said:

but still something i would love to see to get a closer idea of what it looks like from onboard a rl ship in combat...

I would also like to have a ship view from atop the bridge, that can pivot 360.  As is, there is a bow view and a stern view that swing on an arc rather than a fixed point on the ship...and, if you try to look aft from the bow view, it automatically switches to the stern view.  I find it quite annoying, so I remain zoomed out.  I would like that view of battle from atop the bridge, though.

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
3,919 posts
1 minute ago, desmo_2 said:

I would also like to have a ship view from atop the bridge, that can pivot 360.  As is, there is a bow view and a stern view that swing on an arc rather than a fixed point on the ship...and, if you try to look aft from the bow view, it automatically switches to the stern view.  I find it quite annoying, so I remain zoomed out.  I would like that view of battle from atop the bridge, though.

a "rangefinder" view perhaps.. using the actual ships main fire control range finder location... hell even toss in moving you to a secondary in the event the primary was damaged ...  the current zoomed in when firing almost feels like we are at deck level... (i could be way off... based on scale etc..)

Members
399 posts
26 battles
7 minutes ago, SKurj said:

sounds like a good excuse for a "how it was" event... scale all ships, size, speed and dispersion values to more accurate values for a temporary  event...  i'd expect the roi on that would be a big negative, but still something i would love to see to get a closer idea of what it looks like from onboard a rl ship in combat...

I definitely want to play an April's Fools REALISTIC MODE at least once.

Well probably exactly once.

Likewise, I feel it's a bit sad sometimes that the optimal way to steer is from maximum zoomed out which misses much of the detail, oddly I think I would prefer it if we had more fixed views linked to the bridge of the ship  (perhaps just above it) and the turrets for aiming rather than a birds eye view.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
5,711 posts
21,780 battles
1 hour ago, SoothingWhaleSongEU said:

You'd only get to play it once, the patch would be over by the time the battle was finished. :Smile_smile:

• Funny 3

[SALVO]
Members
3,090 posts
7,066 battles
1 hour ago, SKurj said:

There is this competing game which shan’t be named on the forums . As far as I’m aware it is true to scale.  Also the ballistics model is far more realistic because it takes your own ships velocity and angle of movement into account. Which are actually HUGE deals and very much change how aiming works. 

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
3,919 posts
2 minutes ago, eviltane said:

There is this competing game which shan’t be named on the forums . As far as I’m aware it is true to scale.  Also the ballistics model is far more realistic because it takes your own ships velocity and angle of movement into account. Which are actually HUGE deals and very much change how aiming works. 

pm so long as it doesn't have a 2 word name in which the first word starts with a W and the second begins with a T

[SALVO]
Members
3,090 posts
7,066 battles
15 minutes ago, SKurj said:

pm so long as it doesn't have a 2 word name in which the first word starts with a W and the second begins with a T

No PM needed , that is the one.  

• Thanks 1

[ARC]
Members
1,072 posts
11,453 battles
2 hours ago, SoothingWhaleSongEU said:

YES MY TIME TO SHINE! 

Short Answer:

The *really* weird thing however is I am *pretty sure* dispersion formula are also doubled. So when it says a US battleships has horizontal dispersion of "210m" when firing at 15km away then if you use the in game range finder it would actually match to 420m.

I attempted to confirm this with some really dubious copy/pasting in this thread.

@hanesco and @LittleWhiteMouse could confirm this.

I can confirm. Dispersion is scaled in the same proportion as ships. Thunderer's 210m dispersion is scaled in the same way as a enemy Atago's 215m, so the ship is slightly bigger than her enemy's horizontal dispersion axis

• Thanks 1

[WKY04]
Members
3,879 posts
24,854 battles

Space is highly compressed in the game. If you do the math for a run and gun Kleber game, the speed is on the order of a late biplane fighter plane. 

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
3,919 posts
1 minute ago, Pugilistic said:

Space is highly compressed in the game. If you do the math for a run and gun Kleber game, the speed is on the order of a late biplane fighter plane. 

well was it the battle against the bismarck, where the biplane torpedo bombers were flying into a headwind, and were actually overtaken by a destroyer?

[WKY04]
Members
3,879 posts
24,854 battles
1 minute ago, SKurj said:

well was it the battle against the bismarck, where the biplane torpedo bombers were flying into a headwind, and were actually overtaken by a destroyer?

Um, no :Smile_teethhappy:

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
3,919 posts
39 minutes ago, Pugilistic said:

don't make me pull out the anecdote!!  :) well ok i will anyways

damn but which.. Drachinifel video is it in...  

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
3,919 posts
On 2/24/2021 at 11:15 AM, Pugilistic said:

found it...  around 4:45 ish, no clue if it accurate or not.. this was the first time i have heard it.

https://youtu.be/mvUolod3aY0

[FORM]
Members
2,202 posts
13,198 battles
On 2/24/2021 at 8:36 AM, SoothingWhaleSongEU said:

I would love to try it too. Although since it is such an enormous change from the way the game plays currently, I suspect it would have to be an opt-in option only, even if it were just for April Fools. 

Edited by TheArc

[ARS]
Beta Testers
5,742 posts
5,992 battles
On 2/24/2021 at 6:57 AM, _Thanagor_ said:

It takes about 13 seconds for a shell from Kansas to reach a distance of 20km. It would require a 1.53km/s horizontal speed to do so, and even a much higher speed since the shell goes a curve. Meanwhile, the initial shell speed is only 768m/s, and it will decrease rapidly due to air friction.

Also, 1 knot is roughly 0.5 m/s, or 30 m/Minute. 20 knots is 600 m/Minute. Slow as Kansas, I still travelled 60 km in a 20 minutes' game. 

So, what is 1 meter in game?

The distances are correct, the speeds are exaggerated.  Ships move about 5 times faster than the indicated speed.  Ships are also about twice the size they really were.