You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Lert

Why is there an outhouse on my Andrea Doria's #2 turret?

23 comments in this topic

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
25,204 posts
21,009 battles

2Y8k9tF.jpg

Is this some sort of localized back-up fire control? It's not part of the hit box.

[O_O]
Members
6,970 posts
16,974 battles

How else to you get the dookie to the gunners to sling poo at your foes?

[WOLFG]
Members
32,288 posts
10,008 battles
5 minutes ago, Lert said:

2Y8k9tF.jpg

Is this some sort of localized back-up fire control? It's not part of the hit box.

I think it's a wine vat. As it takes hits in combat, the grapes get crushed.

• Funny 1
  • Haha 2

[ARGSY]
Members
23,385 posts
17,307 battles

With the vision slits around the circumference, it looks for all the world like an armoured conning tower - as if someone decided that the best place to put it was on one of the turrets. 

Compare the Fiji, where the designers elected to graft the aft main rangefinder onto X turret.

• Boring 1

Members
514 posts
2,990 battles
53 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

I think it's a wine vat. As it takes hits in combat, the grapes get crushed.

Gotta be the brig. Imagine a tiny room that spins while sitting over two 320mm guns firing, all while being a prime target for the reds.

[TORCH]
Members
697 posts
17,905 battles
1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

With the vision slits around the circumference, it looks for all the world like an armoured conning tower - as if someone decided that the best place to put it was on one of the turrets. 

Compare the Fiji, where the designers elected to graft the aft main rangefinder onto X turret.

Yeah, I'd agree.  It looks more like an auxiliary conning station than anything else I can think of.  Don't think it's fire control, since the turret already has it's own local fire control, including a local range finder, and I don't see anything that looks like openings for gun sights or the like.  And the structure only appears on that one turret - no similar structure aft.

It appears to have been part of the reconstruction of the ship prior to WW2.  In a VERY brief search, I didn't find it in any illustrations of the ship as originally built, but as someone else already pointed out, it's definitely there in later pictures.

[TDR]
[TDR]
Members
1,109 posts
11,800 battles

God bless those stationed there during an actual salvo firing. That vibration must be rather exciting

[WOLFG]
Members
11,796 posts
10,943 battles

Fire Control

The firing control mechanisms and apparatus was completely replaced and substituted with modern equipment which proved itself up to the task for the duration of the conflict. The equipment itself and the space allocated to the operator & was vastly improved over the Cavour Class. The main telemetry system was housed in a movable compartment located 23 meters above the waterline and positioned above the main control tower. There were two telemetry systems each 7.20 meters wide. The telemetry station was connected to the firing station which could control all guns automatically and fire them at once. In case of failure of the automated system, there was a failover station situated on top of turret number 2 (forward) and a 9 meters wide telemeter. Another similar station was also placed atop turret number 3 aft. The 135 mm turrets had their own centralized stations, but could also operate independently. Smaller guns and antiaircraft guns had their own independent aiming and fire control mechanisms.

I found this in a thread from @Tanz from 2012 (off of google)

• Cool 3

[WOLFB]
Members
1,022 posts
36,882 battles
2 hours ago, Lert said:

2Y8k9tF.jpg

So the Ork's can make the "wadding" for the guns?

Now we know why they shoot like $^^#

Edited by fbrrhd

[SIM]
Members
5,787 posts
9,263 battles

That’s what eventually Poke Evolves into the Roma’s Beer Can, just level it up more. 

• Funny 1

[VRR]
[VRR]
Members
1,282 posts

That's a mini keg like the beer keg on the Roma cept for a smaller ship. Lol.

[ARGSY]
Members
23,385 posts
17,307 battles
1 minute ago, Versili said:

That's a mini keg like the beer keg on the Roma cept for a smaller ship. Lol.

Lower tier, lesser beer. :Smile_hiding:

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1
  • Haha 1

[VRR]
[VRR]
Members
1,282 posts
Just now, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Lower tier, lesser beer. :Smile_hiding:

Exactly :cap_tea:...lol

[TFFOX]
Members
1,089 posts
2,801 battles
4 hours ago, Lert said:

2Y8k9tF.jpg

Looks like a Fire control system to me at least

[USN]
Members
1,513 posts
20,411 battles

Ran out of room in the turret to store the pizza oven, so they put it on top.

In all seriousness, it’s probably the fire control for the A and B turrets.

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
2,523 posts

The andrea dora in the operations scenario today is just crap. SAP does not, AP bounces, engine is 100 horse made in korea, rudder does not exist, needs constant repairs like a junky in rehab and is too dependant on the rest of the team such as it is. Scattered all over chasing phantoms while three BB's sit half a mile blasting Ranger to oblivion. I sunk a few but only waiting until enemy hull is less than 8000 then shooting.

I dismissed the commander. All three Italians so far will be sold next month for a few piddling credits. Its underwhelming at best. I knew there was a reason we did not get into too much Italian junk after 5 years in this blessed game.

That makes the rest of the Italian ships missions meaningless. It will constantly crank out crap. Just like a Italian outhouse when the cook is sick.

[A-I-M]
Members
3,860 posts
14,874 battles

It’s gonna get a beer can camo.

And wherever you have beer, you gotta have a place to dispose of the used beer.

Trees and wooded areas are scarce on the high seas.

Edited by MannyD_of_The_Sea