You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Toxygene

Stuck in Bronze ranked

50 comments in this topic

[O2]
Members
457 posts
10,034 battles

I must have played 60+ games now in ranked and have managed to get to rank 4 or so in bronze. I conclude that I will not be able to advance out of bronze. Partially because I am only an average player, partly because I get on teams that are not really very good. I kinda wish I could draw 3-4 good teams in a row and make it to the top. I think the conclusion is that ranked is not for me - which kind of defeats the purpose as there will have to be average players to beat for the good or lucky ones to advance. Whatever WG. Whatever.

• Cool 1

[1984]
Members
4,482 posts
21,506 battles

To succeed in ranked you need to be the reason you have a good team. You cant depend on others. What you need to know/learn to succeed in ranked is very simple: you need 2 caps to win, first team to 1000 pts wins so prioritize capping/cap control over farming, kill dds, they are the most dangerous ship and lead to wins by their ability to cap, focus fire, and remove low health ships from the game.

if you look at your games objectively you will find that in games where you win you/team will have done all those things, the opposite is true in a loss. 

Also all the maps play the same way so if your numpty teammates say hurr d durr let’s stick together and all go A! You need to sack up and go to the other cap to delay. Late in the season you will even find both teams had the same monocap deleruim and you can even cap solo. Basically you cant play like randoms because it isnt.

• Cool 6
  • Thanks 2

[SALVO]
Members
7,102 posts
5,569 battles

If you want the format to change, don't play to Rank  out (you can play some games just for the rewards tho) and give them detailed feedback on what you don't like or enjoy. Remember the mode is still subject to changes. If you don't enjoy it, help them change it.

• Cool 1

[WOLFG]
Members
32,398 posts
10,021 battles

I managed to get through the Bronze ranks pretty easily yesterday, but I don't think I have the patience to qualify for Silver. 6 games, and ended up right where I started 

[TF16A]
[TF16A]
Members
173 posts
16,910 battles

Ranked doesn play like Randoms or expecialy like co-op. you need to work with others as a team to be sucessful. If you are usto clan wars that will help. Guys that like co-op seem to have a very hard time to adjust to ranked as co-op everyone on your team is basicaly in comp against you.

[INTEL]
Members
3,464 posts
19,190 battles

One of the big keys to making it through ranked is staying alive as long as possible.  It's especially important if you are a DD and almost as important if you are a radar cruiser.  I main DD and when I'm playing well, I play passive-aggressive.  Hit and run and set myself up to only attack another DD when I have a clear advantage.  I try not to put myself in a situation I can't get out of.  And often that means just harass and delay at times.  Earning caps is great, but not if it costs your ship.

If you are playing a BB, you need to tank for your team but also have a way out if you are being focused.  Don't throw your ship away too early and not at all if you can avoid it.  If the Reds are shooting at you, they are not shooting at your cruisers and DDs.  But don't let yourself die early.  Read the flow of the game and be aggressive when your team has an advantage and push to create panic on the red side.  If you take yourself out of the battle by hiding behind an island or the back of the map you are hurting your team.

• Cool 1

[OO7]
Members
684 posts
8,099 battles

I find that if I buy anything from the premium shop right before ranked with cash, I get about 1 hour of good match making.  So I try to do all my ranked games after I top up on my doubloons, then do the qualification after buying early access for the italian bb.

I am into silver now.

• Funny 3
  • Haha 3

[G-O-W]
Volunteer Moderator Coordinator, Supertester, Privateers
1,440 posts
16,176 battles
1 hour ago, mixmkz said:

I find that if I buy anything from the premium shop right before ranked with cash, I get about 1 hour of good match making.  So I try to do all my ranked games after I top up on my doubloons, then do the qualification after buying early access for the italian bb.

I am into silver now.

Well, as a whale myself, I would like to say that this is true. Unfortunately, it is not. Doubs do not improve MM in the slightest, and some of the best Ranked players don't spend money on the game. 

Best of luck to everyone, anyways!

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
2,614 posts

Spending does not improve crappy skills.

I can handle a 18 wheeler in the worst of mountains and extreme weather situations, particularly ice. But hand me a NASCAR race car? Ha I would make a fool of myself and burn up in 15 minutes (No air conditioning etc)

I played about 100 or a little less in bronze ranked over two days flat. Rank 7 is as far as it goes. As stated before when a team suffers a loss or even two losses the game is lost already. If a team scatters, they get hunted by groups of ships able to sink anything fast. If a team takes one objective but fails to push, they lost already. When half the Team BB goes to the back wall on game start at ranked (Aka Dead eye 20 mile shooting in BB random etc) the team is lost already.

Team loses very easy on mistakes. Add that to incessant losses in stars.... the two week period between reward harvesting (For half the steel vs last ranked season when sprints were a week long) And the [edited] quals that need a perfect string of stars in victory in numbers to advance etc. Gold is already proven to be toxic. Silver is the best because some like me do well with T10 in ranked, CB etc. Bronze is not bad for many.

But this ranked season is a steaming hot mess. I literally gain nothing playing ranked this week now. The Italian Battleships stage one and two are finished, a 5 day wait until the third stage opens for progression. A 6 day wait for new steel into next week's sprint two in this ranked... leaves me with nothing to gain. And a real experience of ending back up at ranked 10. Over and over and over.

Skill? Nothing changed. Ive been to Ranked Gold 8 last ranked season after about 150+ games. I caught it early on and managed to rank out, qual out etc relatively fast. Now? Forget ranking out, forget qualing out forget it.

A lucky few will rank and qual out. The greater mass of players will still be at bronze. And by now or towards this week they will get fed up and quit. Its human nature. I already did for the week. Next week another 12 wins and whoo hoo done. (Thats about 4 hours play with the same old rank 7 or whatever. No advancing.)

Everything I have seen since the old ranked system changes from the beginning years ago has been designed to go AGAINST the ability to farm rewards, farm ranks farm anything. Finally there is no point. Wows is willfully obtuse and blind sticking to the "Approved" narrative designed to soothe players that you need to get good, gain skill and play better AND be diverse in ships when most of the ships in game wont survive a true ranked battle. For example the Atlanta. Its too little. Too small in HP total to survive a batch of BB shells etc. Poof sunk. But by all means get the Somlesk or the Tallin or the petro. Anything Russian in nature. Those ships will survive Ranked. The rest of it is crap. Thats part of the problem, I dont own any high teir russian ships just yet. I will be buying some at some point to stay revelant.

• Thanks 1

[WPE-2]
Members
123 posts
1,201 battles

working as intended If you are having a hard time getting out of bronze you belong in bronze  league.  Sadly they made it easier by giving people more time .

• Cool 2
  • Meh 1

[SOBA6]
Members
288 posts

You think that's bad, wait till you rank out and then have to win 5 games in a row to qualify for Silver. I think they made it hard on purpose this go round because they want to weed out the lower win percentage people in each subsequent league. So as you move up, your playing with Captains more on your level. Some will still make it through that don't play well, that's just math and getting lucky but with more and more stars in between games it does tend to weed out the afk'rs, the suiciders, etc as you advance. By the time you reach Gold, you should be among some decent and top level individuals. 

[SALVO]
Members
7,102 posts
5,569 battles
1 minute ago, Lord_Argus said:

You think that's bad, wait till you rank out and then have to win 5 games in a row to qualify for Silver. I think they made it hard on purpose this go round because they want to weed out the lower win percentage people in each subsequent league. So as you move up, your playing with Captains more on your level. Some will still make it through that don't play well, that's just math and getting lucky but with more and more stars in between games it does tend to weed out the afk'rs, the suiciders, etc as you advance. By the time you reach Gold, you should be among some decent and top level individuals. 

Though I Agree, I don't like this approach. They are basically twisting my arm into going up the ladder, and for any number of reason, going up the ladder might not be what I want to do or how I want to play. I prefer much more the previous system with some sort of "voluntary" participation in whichever league you wanted to play.

Now if I want to remain in Bronze, I'll be stuck with a lot of frustrated and salty people who can't progress further and are more prone to ruin the experience of other players. I really liked the relaxed atmosphere of Bronze last season, now I see that environment will be probably lost to frustration. 

Members
208 posts
5,131 battles
12 hours ago, Toxygene said:

I must have played 60+ games now in ranked and have managed to get to rank 4 or so in bronze. I conclude that I will not be able to advance out of bronze. Partially because I am only an average player, partly because I get on teams that are not really very good. I kinda wish I could draw 3-4 good teams in a row and make it to the top. I think the conclusion is that ranked is not for me - which kind of defeats the purpose as there will have to be average players to beat for the good or lucky ones to advance. Whatever WG. Whatever.

It is almost never because of bad teams; for every uncarryable bad team there is an equal amount of good teams. Every player has the same MM. It is player skill and player skill only that determines whether or not you will rank out. If you are skilled, you will rank out in less games. It really is that simple. As for how to improve the situation? Keep practicing and improving your gameplay. 

• Boring 1

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
2,614 posts

Gold is not populated with top elite players.

More than likely is a obese trash talking sneering long nose look down slob who criticizes every little mistake you exhibit or worse, fail to meekly comply with directives by square highlight spam on your map. Everything else in game such as chat becomes weaponized against you if you do not immediately ignore the incoming DD's and come about to take a intermediate objective now being squatted by two red petros backed by three georgias.

Such a toxic evironment.

Members
208 posts
5,131 battles
5 minutes ago, xHeavy said:

Gold is not populated with top elite players.

More than likely is a obese trash talking sneering long nose look down slob who criticizes every little mistake you exhibit or worse, fail to meekly comply with directives by square highlight spam on your map. Everything else in game such as chat becomes weaponized against you if you do not immediately ignore the incoming DD's and come about to take a intermediate objective now being squatted by two red petros backed by three georgias.

Such a toxic evironment.

I disagree. I think it is easy to separate the potatoes from the good players when it comes to chat. Sometimes when I notice an opportunity early game ill ask a friendly to move to a specific square and if he listens then no harm done. If there is someone overtly toxic in chat then literlaly ignore that, how hard can it be.

[RAGE]
Members
427 posts
7,296 battles

Someone told me  " you will win 40% and lose another 40% of random games no matter how you play. What really matters is how you play the other 20%".

Stop blaming your team mates.

• Cool 3

[COSTA]
Members
220 posts
7,989 battles

I don’t know if it’s matchmaking but I had a much more difficult time this week in ranked.  Last test season I stayed in bronze and 57 games was enough to rank out 3 times.  It took 55 games this week.

The only thing that helped push from rank 5 to 1 was star-saving as my win rate didn’t improve.

Only played 1 qualification game which was a 1600 base xp loss.  I’ll try again but it can be so discouraging.

[PSV]
Supertester, Wiki Editor
858 posts
6,653 battles

You are playing ranked with Monarch. 

If you bring sub-optimal ship picks to ranked, the results will be sub-optimal. 

[SALVO]
Members
7,102 posts
5,569 battles
2 minutes ago, mrmariokartguy said:

You are playing ranked with Monarch. 

Oh, that one could be actually worse than Albemarle... I need to try it!

• Funny 1

[-HUGS]
Members
106 posts
4,741 battles

So I am apparently no alone feeling it might have gotten more difficult... Last season seemed so easy but now, I really need to put in some major efforts. For some reasons, I can't seem to save my star very often when I'd need to. I know I need to improve but the difference is brutal; not sure how I can adapt as it is killing my motivation to play ranked.

[FFG33]
Members
38 posts
6,995 battles

Lots of great advice in this thread. If you want to take matters into your own hands, play a cap contesting DD such as smalland / Z-52 or DD killing cruisers such as Vanezia / Nevsky. That way the only one to blame will be yourself. 

[O2]
Members
457 posts
10,034 battles

I managed to get through bronze!!! Now I have to win five in a row to make it to Silver. I appreciate all the comments with one note: There's little I can do when in a game 2-3 of my team mates die in first 4-5 minutes and we're down 0-3. My own skills will not change that outcome and I am yet to witness anyone so good that they can win it on their own. But I am happy to finally get out of bronze.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
5,758 posts
21,874 battles
3 minutes ago, Toxygene said:

There's little I can do when in a game 2-3 of my team mates die in first 4-5 minutes and we're down 0-3.

Farm harder than the remaining 3 guys so you save your star pretty much. You will get good teams and bad teams for sure. A lot of ranked progression is about stemming the bleed from the bad MM games.

23 hours ago, Lord_Argus said:

You think that's bad, wait till you rank out and then have to win 5 games in a row to qualify for Silver.

I mean, it's not "in a row", it's just +5 net. Requiring a 5-win streak would just be cruel.

[SALVO]
Members
7,102 posts
5,569 battles
1 hour ago, Toxygene said:

But I am happy to finally get out of bronze.

Not to be a killjoy but... you'll team up with many of those guys next week in Silver. You better hold fast!

Members
31 posts
On 2/24/2021 at 2:43 AM, Toxygene said:

I'm an average player in all respects myself.  I hit rank 1 in 34 games (and 7 games to finish quals to silver) and had some terrible teams, and some good teams.  Either you have had an extraordinary run of bad luck or there's something else afoot.  Ship choice means a lot in small scale competitive, but you don't mention what ships.  Could you be playing an underperforming ship(s)?