You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Lord_Argus

Ranked Is Too Easy With The Right Ships so Is It Fair For Casuals?

33 comments in this topic

[SOBA6]
Members
281 posts

I didn't have a lot of time this week like I thought I would and I was getting impatient leveling tech ships in Bronze League of ranked where we would lose like 2 games then win one, then lose 2-3 and repeat. So I just started using Georgia exclusively for ranked and it made it so much easier by far! Even when we lost the Georgia could save a star about 75% of the time. Do you think these special ships are a bit unfair to the casual player that doesn't get to play 5+ days a week? I accumulate credits, coal, steel, etc on a large scale because I play honestly about 7 days a week. What about the family man that can't afford to buy doubloons or play enough to earn coal on a consistent basis? Do you think they miss out on a big part of the game because they can't compete? I mean honestly trying to rank out in tech ships is doable but it sure takes a lot of work above those with OP type ships. To put in that work you'd need a lot more time than most family oriented men have. 

Is there even an answer to this problem of is it just that life is unfair and that's all there is to it? As always, I love your opinions so type away :)

Ga.jpg

Georgia.jpg

RankOutBronze.jpg

• Boring 2

Beta Testers
912 posts
14,448 battles

I've seen a lot of people in Georgia's, JB's, etc in ranked that I wouldn't let lick windows...

• Funny 1
  • Haha 1
  • Meh 1

Members
880 posts

you must have the special georgia....unless they fixed it..let me try this one more time....

Edited by arch4random
no reason

[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,849 posts
4,285 battles

No. I played a bunch of games last night, Georgia, Missouri, and Lexington. Couldn't get a win to save my life, probably 5 games in each of the T9s and one in the CV before I finally got a win with the Lex. 

Are some ships better than others? Sure. But no ship is so good that the player skill isn't far more important. The only reason a casual would be at a disadvantage would be because he might not play as much. I play GA because it's fun, not because it's that much better than other ships I have.

[WORX]
Members
12,659 posts
19,907 battles

Just pick any tier 9 (or top tier BB for its league) BB and you'll rank out with %50 less battles then anyone else using any other ship class.

In fact, Any High caliber ship for the class.

• Cruisers
    • Heavy No light or regular..
  • DDs
    • GErman DD 150 caliber...

You'll do well with the 7 vs 7 format..

I would conclude, at least for this installment of Rank... Ships with high calibers or top tier for their league... Will rank out faster then those who dont fit into the criteria.

• Meh 4

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
27,938 posts
14,888 battles
25 minutes ago, Lord_Argus said:

I mean honestly trying to rank out in tech ships is doable but it sure takes a lot of work above those with OP type ships. 

It all depends on if that ship clicks with that player. If someone is really good in the Bismarck and only so so in the JB or Georgia they are handicapping themselves if they are not playing the ship(s) that they are best in.

Members
7,122 posts
22,103 battles
8 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

It all depends on if that ship clicks with that player. If someone is really good in the Bismarck and only so so in the JB or Georgia they are handicapping themselves if they are not playing the ship(s) that they are best in.

if you are really good in the Biz you will be fine in the JB or Georgia, I get your point but make a better one.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
27,938 posts
14,888 battles
2 minutes ago, Pura__Vida said:

if you are really good in the Biz you will be fine in the JB or Georgia, I get your point but make a better one.

They are different enough, the JB more so because it needs to angle off instead of bow tanking, and I used them because the OP mentioned them

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
2,561 posts

There is no special ship that magically gets you ranked out.

We sink georgias all the time. They get stupid and yolo straight to us at 38 knots and run into 50 torpedos. BOOM next.

I actually got a little bit excited and had fun against TWO georgias plus a Alaska one ranked fight. I had three DD's with me and all three were eventually dispatched. But not that easily. In the end we lost because we pushed too much as a scattered team. Just another same old story of throwing ranked away. But for a few minutes in that fight it was... interesting and I got predatory. I think all of us DD's did too. We were trying to be the ones to kill all three.

We made it so that the Alaskas' Radar did not matter and stayed about 7 km around them. No running away and used the small islands to endless armor absorbing the Georgia incoming. Once the radar burned off we started stalking inbound and they would turn and flee. So... it was a hunt to complete the kill.

I am very happy I bought a georgia for doubleloons. In some situations with Boost going, damn she is fast. Faster than some DD's

Edited by xHeavy

[-TKS-]
[-TKS-]
Members
1,321 posts
13,178 battles
1 hour ago, Lord_Argus said:

Do you think these special ships are a bit unfair to the casual player

no. they are not off base un balanced. you can still put a georgia in the hands of a new player and it would under preform. 

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
2,561 posts

Yea a new player with Georgia. Driving ahead of everyone else at 38 knots.

Enemy Red team destroyers of which there are up to 5. They see you coming for dozens of miles. Plenty fo time to arrange a ocean wide deployment of so many dozens of torps coming at you shortly... so the new player experiences JOY at such speeds and power and then experiences that really low sinking AW *&^% at so many torps coming in and not a damn thing to do in time.

KABOOM.

Followed by well dones from your entire team and Newbie gets to burn and roast knowing those well dones are the opposite intended message for you threw away the ship and gave the reds a free kill. Awesome. Not.

[FFG33]
Members
38 posts
6,963 battles
36 minutes ago, xHeavy said:

There is no special ship that magically gets you ranked out.

Yeah there is, the Yolo Emilio. 

Edited by Rambo__11

[PVE]
Members
10,930 posts
18,933 battles
1 hour ago, Lord_Argus said:

What about the family man that can't afford to buy doubloons or play enough to earn coal on a consistent basis?

They get to play for free and they have an excuse why they have a less than 50% WR.

• Thanks 1

Members
7,122 posts
22,103 battles
49 minutes ago, skillztowin said:

no. they are not off base un balanced. you can still put a georgia in the hands of a new player and it would under preform. 

that is just pure genius. an epic argument.

Members
546 posts
20 battles
2 hours ago, Lord_Argus said:

Do you think these special ships are a bit unfair to the casual player that doesn't get to play 5+ days a week?

So you're asking if overpowered ships give you an unfair advantage?  Ah yes, yes they do.

1 hour ago, skillztowin said:

Sure, but that new player would still do better in a Georgia than they would in an actually balanced ship, and so they'd be better off sailing it just like any other player.

[BOTO]
Members
1,460 posts
17,708 battles
2 hours ago, Navalpride33 said:

Just pick any tier 9 (or top tier BB for its league) BB and you'll rank out with %50 less battles then anyone else using any other ship class.

In fact, Any High caliber ship for the class.

• Cruisers
    • Heavy No light or regular..
  • DDs
    • GErman DD 150 caliber...

You'll do well with the 7 vs 7 format..

I would conclude, at least for this installment of Rank... Ships with high calibers or top tier for their league... Will rank out faster then those who dont fit into the criteria.

Move along folks, nothing to see here...........

• Meh 1

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,495 posts
22,925 battles
2 hours ago, Lord_Argus said:

I didn't have a lot of time this week like I thought I would and I was getting impatient leveling tech ships in Bronze League of ranked where we would lose like 2 games then win one, then lose 2-3 and repeat. So I just started using Georgia exclusively for ranked and it made it so much easier by far! Even when we lost the Georgia could save a star about 75% of the time. Do you think these special ships are a bit unfair to the casual player that doesn't get to play 5+ days a week? I accumulate credits, coal, steel, etc on a large scale because I play honestly about 7 days a week. What about the family man that can't afford to buy doubloons or play enough to earn coal on a consistent basis? Do you think they miss out on a big part of the game because they can't compete? I mean honestly trying to rank out in tech ships is doable but it sure takes a lot of work above those with OP type ships. To put in that work you'd need a lot more time than most family oriented men have. 

Is there even an answer to this problem of is it just that life is unfair and that's all there is to it? As always, I love your opinions so type away :)

Ga.jpg

Georgia.jpg

RankOutBronze.jpg

The solution to a Georgia player on a pedestal.....

Benham, I'll knock you down a few pegs....

Got so bored doing dds, I tried using thunderer to get to silver...my God the idiots I got...

[SALVO]
Members
26,141 posts
29,198 battles
15 hours ago, Lord_Argus said:

First of all, I don't play Ranked because I can't put up with the level of play from some players.

Secondly, this may seem harsh (and probably is), but I don't care about the casual player.  I'm sick and tired of casual players who don't take serious competitive modes for serious players seriously.    So, what about fairness to the serious player who isn't good enough to carry entire teams on his back but is still serious about the competition, but gets frustrated by players who don't take ranked seriously?

EDIT:  Note that I'm not asking for freebie wins for the serious players who aren't good enough to carry.  All I'd want was teammates who care as much about playing to win as I do, and try to play intelligently.    Players who don't show up to ranked just to grind their new tech tree ship, or just wanna shoot stuff and sink ships, and don't care about winning or losing.

Edited by Crucis
  • Cool 2

[WOOKY]
Beta Testers
1,830 posts

Ive seen plenty of people in these 'OP' ships get bottom of the team, and Ive seen just as many tech tree ships get top of the team.

[--K--]
[--K--]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
2,647 posts

Some ships are more powerful than others, but it is by no means the last word in success.  Life was never fair, if you don't want to make up for your ship in skill then just don't play ranked, nobody is forcing you to.  Otherwise, improve the most important aspect of your ship:  Yourself.

[KIA-C]
Members
3,688 posts
16,252 battles

If I had to be "a fair player" in this game, then I would just not play the game at all.

I mean the average in this game is 46%WR and red PR. It would be unfair to put these player against 58% and blue PR. If player A has no premium ship then it would be unfair for player B to play premium ship because he would have a better income. And the list goes on.

At some point you cant just trivialize the game so casual and unicum would be at the same level. First because that's impossible and second, there's no fun. 

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
3,922 posts

why wouldn't it be?

2 teams...  similar ships/abilities on both sides...

[WOLFC]
Members
2,349 posts
7 hours ago, Rambo__11 said:

Yeah there is, the Yolo Emilio. 

I am loving proof that this is false.

[WOLFG]
Members
32,359 posts
10,021 battles
8 hours ago, Pura__Vida said:

I realise that this is only my experience, but I found yesterday that Alsace won about as often as Georgia, and generally did more damage, including several HC achievements.

To be fair though, Alsace may be considered a cut above her tech tree peers.

Musashi though, that thing's beast mode. (assuming you don't just sit in one spot and restrict your firing angles) With fewer ships, getting flanked or focused is a lot less likely.