You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
slokill_1

Emergency Repair Expert or Fire Prevention?

24 comments in this topic

SuperTest Coordinator, Beta Testers
6,813 posts
12,634 battles

If your average survival time is ~10 minutes, then ERE. If you're getting burned down a lot and survive less, then FP.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
29,893 posts
25,782 battles
On 2/23/2021 at 8:21 AM, MisterFlounder said:

Not to be a smart [edited], but probably both.

Players have to make a hard choice.

The meta is Stealth Build + Dead Eye for Battleships.  It takes a bare minimum 14 points.  A lot of people still have 19pt captains at best, so that's 5 points to do something with, probably why the OP asked which is better, FP or ERE.  Can't have both.  Even if he somehow has a 21pt captain, still can't have both FP & ERE.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
5,745 posts
21,845 battles

FP is mandatory unless you want to take double fire damage every round. And yes, it's double because most shells hit amidship and FP reduces the 2 fire zones there into 1.

ERE's 10% extra heal time and 20% extra charges will never make up for that, even if you live long enough to use them all. You only take ERE in addition to FP, if you take it at all. And right now, most people don't, they take Deadeye instead.

[A-I-M]
Members
3,877 posts
14,907 battles
5 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Players have to make a hard choice.

The meta is Stealth Build + Dead Eye for Battleships.  It takes a bare minimum 15 points.  A lot of people still have 19pt captains at best, so that's 4 points to do something with, probably why the OP asked which is better, FP or ERE.  Can't have both.  Even if he somehow has a 21pt captain, still can't have both FP & ERE.

Bare minimum 14, or do you take second 1-pointer?

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead
15,804 posts
4,771 battles

Emergency Repair Expert or Fire Prevention?

For a Russian (limited DCP charges) or self-printers (who don't care about fire), ERE.  For everyone else, FP first (special circumstances aside).  I wouldn't take Dead Eye ahead of your choice of either of these (again, special circumstances aside).

• Cool 2

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
2,561 posts

You are going to burn anyway, 3 fires, 4 fires who cares.

Try to put it out first. Thus repair.

[A-I-M]
Members
3,877 posts
14,907 battles
1 minute ago, iDuckman said:

For a Russian (limited DCP charges) or self-printers (who don't care about fire), ERE.  For everyone else, FP first (special circumstances aside).  I wouldn't take Dead Eye ahead of your choice of either of these (again, special circumstances aside).

This.

The limited supply of DCP on Russian BBs doubles the tangible benefit of Emergency Repair Expert.

The 10% reduction in cooldown time of DCP and RP is also a benefit, but can be a double-edged sword.

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
2,561 posts
1 minute ago, crazyeightyfive said:

Dump Deadeye, take both.

We did across the board, total dump of deadeye for a few other goodies more useful. One is the manual secondaries, lock it onto the incoming anklebiter and proceed to shoot big stuff.

• Cool 1

[FORM]
Members
2,227 posts
13,258 battles
1 hour ago, slokill_1 said:

What's better for a BB build?

Fire. 

And Dead Eye is only good on some ships, but it is really really really good on those ships. 

[CAAT]
Members
1,038 posts
4,626 battles
1 hour ago, slokill_1 said:

Personally, I'd go for Fire Prevention. The reduction from 4 fire spots to 3 means you'll be taking three fires a LOT less, as well as two fires. You'll usually have 1-2 fires max.

[O7]
Supertester
393 posts
13,178 battles

FP > ERE for most BBs. FP significantly reduces overall fire damage taken as you only take 1 fires worth of damage from your superstructure. 

ERE is very useful for RN BBs as they prefer the extra enhanced superheal over FP. 

• Cool 1

[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,849 posts
4,285 battles

Fire prevention, it only says -10% chance but it's the reduction from 2 to 1 superstructure fires that makes it so valuable, that's a significant decrease in how often you'll be on fire. I consider FP mandatory on pretty much every BB

ERE is definitely nice to have, and I try and pick it up if I have room, but it comes after FP.

[MAHAN]
Beta Testers
1,603 posts
7,195 battles

FP if you can only take one imo, which is most people as CE + Deadeye are standard on most BBs these days.

Members
2,360 posts
33,402 battles

Thanks for the feed back guys.  Consensus seems to be ERE for RN and Ruskies, and FP for the rest.  Sounds good.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
29,893 posts
25,782 battles
On 2/23/2021 at 8:34 AM, MannyD_of_The_Sea said:

Bare minimum 14, or do you take second 1-pointer?

You're right, I miscounted, edited my post.

[-K-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,697 posts
10,138 battles
On 2/23/2021 at 11:11 AM, slokill_1 said:

FP, unless you're specking a captain for Conquerer (and maybe Massachusetts) 

[WOLF9]
[WOLF9]
Members
234 posts
12,317 battles
On 2/23/2021 at 11:11 AM, slokill_1 said:

Which BB?  Its not a binary choice.   I take FP on Iowa/Montana, though on Lion/Conqueror I instead take repair.

Abbye

[DOTM]
Beta Testers
2,029 posts
14,057 battles

I use CE, FP and ERE on my Kremlin. Your long range dispersion is bad in Russian BBs and so you're not going to get much use out of Deadeye on an RU BB so you're better off going for full survivability.