You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
dechion

Looking for cruiser builds post rework

16 comments in this topic

[WOLFX]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,519 posts
5,337 battles

So many of the cruiser skills post rework seem very meh, or situational at best. Kind of curious what you folks have figured out for builds.

Grease the gears seems decent at tier 1, though it depends on the ship I suppose. 

Tier 2 has priority target, which is helpful.

Tier 3 has super heavy AP, better HE (with a concealment tradeoff), and adrenaline rush.

Concealment expert at tier 4 is always going to be a go to skill. The faster reload skill seems pretty situational (and actually works worse with concealment expert if I read it right)

Anyhow, for now I'm mostly just doing a 10 point build of grease the gears, priority target, tier 3 is ship dependent, and concealment expert while I wait for the dust to settle from the rework. How about you folks?

[WORX]
Members
16,968 posts
22,074 battles
48 minutes ago, dechion said:

So many of the cruiser skills post rework seem very meh, or situational at best. Kind of curious what you folks have figured out for builds.

Grease the gears seems decent at tier 1, though it depends on the ship I suppose. 

Tier 3 has super heavy AP, better HE (with a concealment tradeoff), and adrenaline rush.

Concealment expert at tier 4 is always going to be a go to skill. The faster reload skill seems pretty situational (and actually works worse with concealment expert if I read it right)

Anyhow, for now I'm mostly just doing a 10 point build of grease the gears, priority target, tier 3 is ship dependent, and concealment expert while I wait for the dust to settle from the rework. How about you folks?

Regular cruisers...

• The skills are the same as the previous system..

Heavy cruisers...

• Really all ships with high calibers guns benefited from the change.. You really have options to work with

Light cruisers,,,

• Got the torp in the fantail... Some of my LC are mothballed..
    • Mainly, the gun range is just so useless, its below the range minimums for their tier.. Its basically gun fodder for high caliber ships...
    • Light cruisers are the lowest in HP in the match..
      • they cant survive at mid range..

That is my review if the Cruisers cpt rework...

Bottom line IMO..

WG dont want the "jack of all trades" type cruisers to live long...

They do want to high caliber cruisers to live longer to justify their

• Long gun reloads
  • Their BB level DPM

Therefor, the cruiser role in the match, has clearly changed/evolved to something I disagree with... If cruisers are no longer going to fulfill the role they''re meant to play..

The other classes are going to have to fill the void.. (BB with cruiser tools)...

Edited by Navalpride33

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
6,534 posts
29,623 battles

I am waiting to see what LWM proposes in her Angry You Tuber review. She has covered BB and DD so far, next is Cruisers. Might be a while because of the "situational" nature of the cruiser skills.

[KAG2]
Members
2,248 posts
36,990 battles

Just put them in port until Dead Eye is worked out, if there is a CV and 5 BBs running Dead Eye they're not worth playing. Unless you play very far back or are a Russian Cruiser that starts with P

Edited by vikingno2
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 2

[SALVO]
Members
16,358 posts
10,152 battles

My standard 10 pts build is:

IFA 

PT 

Superintendent 

CE 

On some cruisers I swap tier 3 for IFHE. On 14 pt builds I'm using extra AA T4 skill if base value is significant, else AR and GtG usually

[WOLFX]
1,519 posts
5,337 battles
15 minutes ago, vikingno2 said:

Just put them in port until Dead Eye is worked out, if there is a CV and 5 BBs running Dead Eye they're not worth playing. Unless you play very far back or are a Russian Cruiser that starts with P

I avoid the dead eye snipers and back row campers by playing co-op. Eventually the meta will sort itself out.

• Cool 4

[-THG-]
Members
2,609 posts
7,990 battles
1 hour ago, dechion said:

Common radar CA:

- gun loader> Priority target> Superintendent > concealment expert> Consummable enhancement> Heavy AP, the rest is yours.

Anti concealment build (do no take the concealment module, take the rudder).

-gun loader> priority target> Heavy he> Too grade gunner> The rest is yours.

Common CL: grease the gear> priority target> consumables expert> Superintendent > top grade gunner/ radio location, the rest is yours (could go for torps or aa skills for the british, ifhe and pyro for the US).

Edited by Karstodes

[WOLFX]
1,519 posts
5,337 battles
20 minutes ago, Khafni said:

I am waiting to see what LWM proposes in her Angry You Tuber review. She has covered BB and DD so far, next is Cruisers. Might be a while because of the "situational" nature of the cruiser skills.

I've been waiting to see her take on things as well. Her reviews of this game make it more accessible and more enjoyable. WG should be paying her for all the work she puts in.

• Cool 2

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Banned
16,985 posts
57 minutes ago, Khafni said:

It's probably taking a while to get through the mess.  I don't know if there are enough worthwhile cruiser skills to recommend full builds.   Of the four types, cruisers took the biggest downgrade in the skill rebork. 

Many of the skills are situational in ways that make them hard or even foolish to activate, or come with built-in poison-pill nerfs.   

Cruisers with some combination of main gun, secondary, and AA that made AFT and/or BFT worthwhile suffer, and all cruisers suffer from loss of PM and BOS as potential offsets to fragility.   Small gun cruisers and supercruisers took even bigger hits than their brethren, with the small-gun cruisers losing AFT and BFT (main battery range and ROF), and supercruisers losing survival skills to offset their silly DOT characteristics.  

Plus, cruisers are the most varied, you'd need at least three or four "suggested builds" just to get started -- small-gun cruisers, light cruisers, heavy cruisers, supercruisers -- and then there's a lot of variation inside each of those. 

Edited by KilljoyCutter
  • Cool 1
  • Boring 1

Members
1,060 posts
4,636 battles

To be honest, I have found the cruiser skills to be completely uninspiring, especially for lower to mid tier CL's.  Instead of playing I spend my time these days in port staring at a bunch of meh choices all the time a tiny voice inside my head is saying "Well?...PICK SOMETHING!!!"

• Cool 1

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Banned
16,985 posts
1 hour ago, dechion said:

GTG works backwards -- right now it gives the most benefit to the ships that need it the least. 

Superheavy AP is not worth 3 points on most ships, look at how little effect it has in real damage done on non-citadel hits. 

Adrenaline Rush, despite being increased to 3 points, becomes more viable in the rebork because there are fewer worthwhile skills competing for those points. 

Top Grade Gunner is great for PVE, and nearly useless for PVP (doubly so in the increasingly static and max-range meta post-rebork), not worth 4 points unless you play a lot of PVE. 

Members
7,122 posts
26,403 battles

Cruisers that are heavily dependent on consumables probably should go with Superintendent, Most other skills should be used to help avoid detection or be prepared for it.

Because of the sniper mechanics an unsuspected detection can be devastating, I use RPF (RL) every chance I can afford it. I also use incoming fire Alert, Just because your PT shows 3 ships looking at you doesn't mean they are firing at you. For one point, it's nice to know if shells are actually in the air. I also use Gun Feeder. Cruiser play is all about taking advantage of your opportunities  and then running like hell. having the right shells loaded can make a huge difference.

Adrenal Rush is always nice to have, especially if you have a longer loading shell.

• Cool 1

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
6,121 posts
27,944 battles

The basic one is the same as it always was, SE/SI/CE plus whatever. You can sneak or shoot.

The alternative ones are all gimmicks. You can combo +HE/SAP and TGG on certain open water friendly ships like Venezia, and troll builds like UU Henri. Creeping smoke ships stack those talents.

Honestly, there's not a lot of viable build diversity among cruisers, largely because one of the key 4-point slots is taken up by Outnumbered, which is a useless POS due to its activation conditions being impossible to satisfy before the game is over.

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
6,534 posts
29,623 battles
52 minutes ago, dechion said:

I've been waiting to see her take on things as well. Her reviews of this game make it more accessible and more enjoyable. WG should be paying her for all the work she puts in.

WG may not pay her but she has a Patreon link for us to contribute as individuals.

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
6,534 posts
29,623 battles
45 minutes ago, KilljoyCutter said:

GTG works backwards -- right now it gives the most benefit to the ships that need it the least. 

Superheavy AP is not worth 3 points on most ships, look at how little effect it has in real damage done on non-citadel hits. 

Adrenaline Rush, despite being increased to 3 points, becomes more viable in the rebork because there are fewer worthwhile skills competing for those points. 

Top Grade Gunner is great for PVE, and nearly useless for PVP (doubly so in the increasingly static and max-range meta post-rebork), not worth 4 points unless you play a lot of PVE. 

GTG is the one skill that has stopped my play. I want to see if WG addresses this skill, specifically, before I login to the client again and play. I am completely confounded by this skill's change because it nerfs those DD (and CL) that need it most.

Unconscionable, WG!

Edited by Khafni

[WOLF9]
Members
661 posts
2 hours ago, Pura__Vida said:

Cruisers that are heavily dependent on consumables probably should go with Superintendent, Most other skills should be used to help avoid detection or be prepared for it.

Because of the sniper mechanics an unsuspected detection can be devastating, I use RPF (RL) every chance I can afford it. I also use incoming fire Alert, Just because your PT shows 3 ships looking at you doesn't mean they are firing at you. For one point, it's nice to know if shells are actually in the air. I also use Gun Feeder. Cruiser play is all about taking advantage of your opportunities  and then running like hell. having the right shells loaded can make a huge difference.

Adrenal Rush is always nice to have, especially if you have a longer loading shell.

I’ve found RPF to be a great addition to my Smolensk build.