You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Col_Nasty

Atago... why don't we hear more about it?

22 comments in this topic

[GOB]
Members
2,709 posts

I saw one in COOP today... it was a death machine.. even in COOP.  I remembered that I got one on Black friday.  

Set it up with Yamamoto and took her out in Coop.

WHY is this not considered the KING( or at least a Prince )  of COOP?

I have many premiums.. if I need stacks of kills I use so many great ships in COOP to get them

This ATAGO is an all around Death star.

First time out topped the board with kills XP etc.. with all the Death Blossom torps it has... the Gunz!  I was killing a CL one second then dev striking a BB with the mass of torps the next.

I REALLY like this thing.

One of the problems of going crazy and collecting too many ships too fast is that you miss Gems like this.

At least I did.

When I get a handle on her shes going into Randoms... 

With her speed , rudder, gunz and wall of torps it should be a great DD hunter.

Ambush Killer too.

I know I wouldn't want to have one chasing me in mine!

Edited by Col_Nasty
  • Haha 1
  • Boring 3

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
8,746 posts

I have the ARP version (because it was free).  Haven't taken it out in forever but your thread inspired me to dust her off and play a match.  Nothing spectacular in my match, big map and lots of BBs so I ended up staying long range and slinging HE, but she is a good ship.

shot-21.02.23_00.00.50-0414.jpg

[BNKR]
[BNKR]
Members
264 posts
4,299 battles

Ninja Assassin, thats what Atago is. Great ship, fun to play, powerful guns and hard to kill when played well. She is a great value!

Insane stealth values for a cruiser couples to hard hitting torps and heavy HE damage. She is one of the beat IJN cruisers you can get.

Edited by RonJamesDio

[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,812 posts
4,278 battles

Been around forever, always has been a good ship. Aside from the heal there's nothing really outstanding about here, good torps, very solid guns, stealthy, hits hard, a bit fragile. Not many ships are left which are just good all round performers without some gimmick. And I think that lack of gimmick is why she goes unnoticed. The first thing people ask about a new ship now is what is the gimmick, what is her specialty. Atago has none, but like many of the original ships doesn't need one because she's not min-maxed, she's just very good all around.

• Cool 2

[O7]
Supertester
391 posts
13,162 battles

Atago has been around since the start of WoWs. She doesn't get as much attention as newer ships, but she is still considered a solid investment even after all these years.

Also, Co op is a poor indicator of a ship's strength in randoms as bots are very predictable. 

Also, she isn't effective at hunting DDs due to lack of radar. She can certainly hit them hard if they are spotted, but she usually requires allied spotting to find the DDs.

• Cool 2

[PVE]
Members
10,910 posts
18,866 battles

It was the second or third Premium that I purchased and I hated it, never did we get along, I didn't realize playstyle back then.

[GLF]
Members
51 posts
25,601 battles

I have the ARPTakao version, always enjoy taking her out, but poor positioning gives cits to red.  I do like kiting the t9 t10 secondary bbs and watch them run into my torps.

Members
2,069 posts
12,691 battles

Atago is still a good ship but I think the 15.8km range and no spotter hurts it in the current meta. Like today I had a match on shatter where I was literally sitting inside A cap on the red side and still didn't have range to shoot half the reds, but they definitely had the range to shoot me. Or another match where I pushed up to the mid line on the flank and the only thing in range to shoot was a single Stalingrad. People camp so far back these days it's painful. 

[SOBA6]
Members
277 posts

Atago is a beast! First premium ship I ever bought and I used her this week to farm the token missions because she is amazing. She has a lot of torps and they hit hard as well as having decent speed. She also tears up DD's with her large HE volley's. Also cruisers should never underestimate her AP as I've punched many citadels on a broadside that thought I was still firing HE. Overall I don't play her as much as I used to but she is still great. I just don't play Tier 8 all that much anymore

[KWF]
Members
5,738 posts
6,985 battles

She's one of the few ships that stood relatively well the test of time and is still definitely capable in the right hands. Also one of the most beautiful ships in the game in my opinion, always find myself looking at her in port :fish_cute_2:.

If she had an extra kilometer of range she would be with ease a constant premium recommendation.

Edited by warheart1992

[BWC]
Beta Testers
2,002 posts
7,774 battles

I think the main reason you don't hear much said about Atago is, as others have said, she has been around since the early days of the game.  Everyone knows about the ship, so talking about it seems like rehashing old threads.  Aside from her heal, the Atago is a well-rounded ship without anything that stands out next to other ships with less-obvious or more drastic features.  In a way, Atago is the standard for what is a 'good but not exceptional' Premium ship, so people don't see anything to talk about.  

Of course, that balanced nature means the ship -is- one of the best T8 heavy cruisers in the game, and always has been.  Effective-range torpedoes with great firing arcs, the mentioned heal, great speed, good concealment, and good guns all make a ship that can deal with any situation, and it has enough torpedoes to function as though it had a DD strapped to either side.  In many ways, the Atago is a torpedo cruiser, and there are few opponents that survive a close pass on her.

It remains one of my favorite ships in the game, and if I had to pick only one ship to use for anything in the game, the Atago would be in my top five ships to consider (if not top two).

Edited by Jakob_Knight
  • Cool 1

[AK-49]
Members
415 posts
9,133 battles

It's my base credit earner. I'm only in premium mode a few times (weekends, holidays) and when I want to be consistent in earning credits, its my go-to ship (Prinz Eugen, too). Atago was my first premium ship purchase in the game.

[D-PN]
Members
689 posts
4,535 battles

I also picked up one on Black Friday. Played a game in it and ... I don't wanna ruin it by playing another. :Smile_teethhappy:

Eh0R3Ji.jpg

[RLGN]
Members
15,615 posts
27,321 battles
3 minutes ago, Aurora_7 said:

It's my base credit earner. I'm only in premium mode a few times (weekends, holidays) and when I want to be consistent in earning credits, its my go-to ship (Prinz Eugen, too). Atago was my first premium ship purchase in the game.

Bought Atago pretty early, (2016?) and never really did any good in it, (average damage was like 26k?)

Hooray for no positioning sense.

Actually did better in it when I took the original captain out and put my ARP Kongo in it.

(Swore I’d never get Hipper until Eugen came out, and that’s what happened.)

[NUWES]
Members
3,377 posts
12,219 battles

Atago was the one that replaced the old Kitikami wasn't it? It's been around since shortly after the Big Bang. lol. 

You don't hear much about her because she's a good solid workhorse. She just does its job. I took her out in co-op yesterday myself to clear Italian battleship stages quickly. Specifically I used her for fires and floods. She's one of the better ways to generate those as long as you avoid getting citadeled by a CV or BB. 

[ARGSY]
Members
23,285 posts
17,234 battles
9 hours ago, Your_SAT_Score said:

Also, Co op is a poor indicator of a ship's strength in randoms as bots are very predictable. 

They may be predictable but they also have certain advantages over human players that need to be borne in mind, the most critical being that they are super-aware of torpedoes and supremely competent at dodging them (in part because they know exactly what course and speed to take to evade, with no hesitation in implementing it). It's a lot harder to torp a bot DD in its smoke than it is a human, for example - or even to force it out to be dealt with by gunfire. The bots aren't worried about losing and dying, which a human player confronted with a torpedo-spewing, potentially hydro-running heavy cruiser with a heal is going to be, and human DD players don't have that unerring ability to launch torpedoes on precisely the right heading to kill their aggressors, regardless of what evasion path the aggressor takes after completing the kill.

In some ways, his job is going to be EASIER in Randoms. In others, I agree it will be a fair bit harder. It will depend on the class of opposition he is facing, but I wonder if your membership of a high level clan with a lot of fighting time against other high level players hasn't skewed your perception. This isn't Clan Battles or KOTS we're talking about here (where I agree one would prefer to bring something else); OP might find himself farming his fair share of DD potatoes.

4 hours ago, MajorEnglush said:

Played a game in it and ... I don't wanna ruin it by playing another. 

I know that feeling. :cap_like: I feel the exact same way about the Omaha and - more recently - the Minnesota.

11 hours ago, Col_Nasty said:

WHY is this not considered the KING( or at least a Prince )  of COOP?

I bought the Black version for BF2020 at a significant discount, because I wasn't in this game early enough to pick up a free ARP Takao, and I fully agree; she's VERY useful against the bots. The only thing that handicaps her in Randoms is that range - there are a lot of cruisers which outrange her these days, and that can be a problem sometimes. One thing the prospective buyer should be aware of is that while she has MUCH better torpedo arcs forward than any of her tech tree cousins above Tier 5, it comes with the price that only one of the two launchers on each side bears significantly into the forward quadrant. There's some overlap abeam, but that's it. It's not like a Hipper, which can put all of its torps on one side out forward of the beam. 

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu
  • Cool 2

[KAPPA]
Members
1,442 posts
8,165 battles

In all honesty, I have all 4 of them, Atago, Atago B, ARP Takao, and ARP Maya, that's how much I love the ship. Each one has a different build, for example ARP Takao has a torpedo focus, while ARP Maya is a 'fire dancer'- she has the double rudder build combined with anything that can boost her fire chances or HE. Maya is by far my current favorite as her ability to dodge incoming fire at mid or long range means she tends to last longer in a battle than her sisters. I do miss the old stealth build she could pull in the early days when open water stealth fire was a thing, but I do get why that had to go away for cruisers at least (I still want my T8 Fubuki stealth gunboat back, best T8 DD this game has ever had in my opinion).

Beta Testers
907 posts
14,362 battles

I was hesitant about getting the Atago a while ago. Now it's my second most played ship! All round solid performer and good credit earner too. Slightly faster reload would be nice though...just a second or so.

[-K-]
[-K-]
7,684 posts
10,069 battles

Atago is still a solid cruiser. Not an OP ship by a long shot, but very solid, and always have been.

Great concealment, great maneuverability, best cruiser torpedo arcs and those IJN 8" rifles create an overall package that has been very resilient to meta shifts.

[-K-]
[-K-]
7,684 posts
10,069 battles
11 hours ago, Tzarevitch said:

Atago was the one that replaced the old Kitikami wasn't it?

If memory serves, Kitakami was available in CBT, Atago became available in OBT. By "replacement", do you mean that players with Kita in their ports got an Atago instead? Not sure if that was the case :-/

[A-D-F]
8,746 posts
21 minutes ago, vak_ said:

If memory serves, Kitakami was available in CBT, Atago became available in OBT. By "replacement", do you mean that players with Kita in their ports got an Atago instead? Not sure if that was the case :-/

When they removed Kita, they did a doubloon refund if I recall.

[ARGSY]
Members
674 posts
10,794 battles

A nice ship and fun to play. But creeped in my opinion. Her guns just don't have the range and she has no AA to speak of. Smart CV players will focus her early. If a CV is not around then she becomes much more viable.