You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
slider37

Team compositions from a ranked battle today

31 comments in this topic

[SLDR]
Members
319 posts
12,392 battles

Here was the result of a 1-sided ranked battle. It lasted less than 9 minutes.

839617482_Screenshot2021-02-22193716.thumb.jpg.dcf06dd5f57cdd4cea43c54b6df62589.jpg

Below are the win rates of each player in the current ranked season:

Musashi 53.57% --- 48.15% Soviet Soyuz

Pommern 53.57% --- 0% (2 battles) F. der Grosse

Missouri 46.27% --- 54.55% Georgia

Alaska 59.46% --- 58.33% Riga

Neptune 46.25% --- 58.33% Ibuki

Z-46 67% --- 34.78% Ostergotland

Kidd 53.19% --- 46.43% Benson

I don't use MatchMakerMonitor. This is the first time I took the time to manually look into each player's stat after a battle. Obviously I've been on winning AND losing ends of 1-sided battles. Given the lopsidedness and the shortness of this particular battle, I think it's clear that a better arrangement of the teams could have resulted in a more even battle.

• Cool 1
  • Sad 1
  • Boring 1

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
8,816 posts

Except the match maker doesn't account for skill or stats, on purpose.

• Boring 1
  • Meh 1

[PSV]
Supertester, Wiki Editor
859 posts
6,653 battles

Teams aren't actually that unbalanced on WR,  you just have one less bad player than them. 

Members
1,208 posts
1,707 battles

Only in this forum will someone complain that they won a match in 9 minutes. Not 4. Not 5. Nine.

Dear gods...

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
26,149 posts
29,241 battles
21 minutes ago, slider37 said:

I don't use MatchMakerMonitor. This is the first time I took the time to manually look into each player's stat after a battle. Obviously I've been on winning AND losing ends of 1-sided battles. Given the lopsidedness and the shortness of this particular battle, I think it's clear that a better arrangement of the teams could have resulted in a more even battle.

I wouldn't get too bothered by the FDG.  Clearly, this player is using Ranked to grind out a new ship, so his low WR is not unexpected.

As for the 2 DDs, there's more to complain about there, I suppose.

[W-P-E]
Members
369 posts
25,139 battles

From the video on MM,  first player enters battle gets picked into a team, then will wait for an other player with same type and tier for opponent.  When enough pairs made then battle starts.

[PVE]
Members
7,921 posts
23,939 battles
2 hours ago, slider37 said:

839617482_Screenshot2021-02-22193716.thumb.jpg.dcf06dd5f57cdd4cea43c54b6df62589.jpg

So go through them all again & post their overall random stats & see if everything is the same.

Just the ranked stats of 1 battles players doesn't show much really...& just out of curiosity...out of your 67% WR in this season of ranked...why did you choose just this 1 battle to post the stats for...

Were they all blowouts?

Was just this 1 battle a blowout?

How many battles did each of the others have this season to account for their WRs?

& just out of curiosity...how many battles do you have this ranked season that accounts for that 67%?

& How do you know it is just from this ranked season? My ranked WR in my clan screen shows 200+ battles & I haven't played but a dozen or so in the latest ranked season...is there an actual place to check ranked stats for just this season? (I don't know for sure... that's the place I checked mine & it shows last seasons also...just checking to see if you have an actual place to check them for just this season or if you might have mistaken the overall stats for just this season).

[RAGE]
Members
2,004 posts
9,099 battles

The "bad" players are distributed randomly enough that I usually don't let it bother me, but this was my team in one of my battles yesterday.  It was so bad I actually went and grabbed screenshots. (spoiler - we lost). 

Spoiler

wr.thumb.png.0f69e956f76a883c1341501b7d719e31.png

I got my 9th star for all the bronze rewards and am staying there.  I'd rather play my favorite premium T9s at top tier, and not have to deal with T10 carriers.  The rewards in silver are only marginally better anyway and require more stars. 

[SALVO]
Members
7,102 posts
5,569 battles

I would gladly settle for less AFKs (2 out of 10 tonight)

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
27,960 posts
14,894 battles
1 hour ago, ArIskandir said:

I would gladly settle for less AFKs (2 out of 10 tonight)

I haven't really noticed that but the people that make me look like an unicum are frustrating.

• Funny 1

[SALVO]
Members
7,102 posts
5,569 battles
17 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

I haven't really noticed that but the people that make me look like an unicum are frustrating.

IKR, those matches when you get to save your star as an Albemarle you know your team was irredeemable...

7RXu4Xq.jpg

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
27,960 posts
14,894 battles
2 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

IKR, those matches when you get to save your star as an Albemarle you know your team was irredeemable...

7RXu4Xq.jpg

Try saving a star with sub 300 base experience.

[SALVO]
Members
7,102 posts
5,569 battles
1 minute ago, BrushWolf said:

Try saving a star with sub 300 base experience.

The horror... At least you saved your star

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
27,960 posts
14,894 battles
1 minute ago, ArIskandir said:

The horror... At least you saved your star

I haven't saved a star yet this season, I have only topped the charts in wins. I think I have the most games in ranked for me this time though. I usually play a couple and walk.

[SALVO]
Members
7,102 posts
5,569 battles
2 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

I haven't saved a star yet this season, I have only topped the charts in wins. I think I have the most games in ranked for me this time though. I usually play a couple and walk.

The trick is not taking it too seriously, just enjoy the game 

SuperTest Coordinator, Beta Testers
6,819 posts
12,666 battles

I wrote a program using these 14 players as inputs, and ran it several thousand times. Based on the ask here, the priority is to make sure the average of win ratesshould be as close as possible to the other team.

This is the absolute best match outcome that my matchmaker came up with. I colored in approximate PRs.

Player(shipName=Musashi, shipClass=BB, winRate=53.57)
Player(shipName=Soyuz, shipClass=BB, winRate=48.15)
Player(shipName=FDG, shipClass=BB, winRate=0.0)
Player(shipName=Kidd, shipClass=CA, winRate=53.19)
Player(shipName=Alaska, shipClass=CA, winRate=59.46)
Player(shipName=Z-46, shipClass=CA, winRate=67.0)
Player(shipName=Riga, shipClass=CA, winRate=58.33)
vs
Player(shipName=Pommern, shipClass=BB, winRate=53.57)
Player(shipName=Georgia, shipClass=BB, winRate=54.55)

Player(shipName=Missouri, shipClass=BB, winRate=46.27)
Player(shipName=Ibuki, shipClass=CA, winRate=58.33)
Player(shipName=Benson, shipClass=CA, winRate=46.43)
Player(shipName=Neptune, shipClass=CA, winRate=46.25)

Player(shipName=Ostergotland, shipClass=CA, winRate=34.78)

Team 1 Average: 48.53%
Team 2 Average: 48.60%

Difference is 0.07%, ergo almost perfectly balanced by WR.

So, Team 1 has a super-unicum, 2 great players, 2 good players, 1 below average player, and 1 bad player (with 0% WR).

Team 2 has 1 great player, 2 good players, 3 below average players, and 1 bad player.

Which team do you want to be on?

Because someone will point out the 0% is an outlier, I reran another 10K removing the top and bottom from average, i.e. only the middle weights matter

Player(shipName=Pommern, shipClass=BB, winRate=53.57)
Player(shipName=Soyuz, shipClass=BB, winRate=48.15)
Player(shipName=Musashi, shipClass=BB, winRate=53.57)
Player(shipName=Ostergotland, shipClass=CA, winRate=34.78)
Player(shipName=Neptune, shipClass=CA, winRate=46.25)
Player(shipName=Ibuki, shipClass=CA, winRate=58.33)
Player(shipName=Riga, shipClass=CA, winRate=58.33)

vs
Player(shipName=FDG, shipClass=BB, winRate=0.0)
Player(shipName=Missouri, shipClass=BB, winRate=46.27)
Player(shipName=Georgia, shipClass=BB, winRate=54.55)
Player(shipName=Benson, shipClass=CA, winRate=46.43)
Player(shipName=Alaska, shipClass=CA, winRate=59.46)
Player(shipName=Kidd, shipClass=CA, winRate=53.19)
Player(shipName=Z-46, shipClass=CA, winRate=67.0)
Team 1 Average: 50.43% (51.97% excluding best and worst player)
Team 2 Average: 46.70% (51.98% excluding best and worst player)

Does Team 2 actually look like it has a disadvantage in this scenario, even though it has the lower average WR?

• Cool 2

Members
130 posts
252 battles
2 hours ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

& How do you know it is just from this ranked season? 

Is this value correct?

Screenshot_20210223-065918.thumb.png.01a93c11309bde852fccbe42f115c553.png

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
27,960 posts
14,894 battles
44 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

The trick is not taking it too seriously, just enjoy the game 

Yep, that is what I always try to do. The constant whining that is the norm is what drove me out of ranked in the past but this time around it has been blessedly quiet so I will keep at it.

Members
176 posts
11,195 battles

It doesn't matter how often the topic of the skewed matchmaking system is discussed on these forums, you'll always have the "it's broken" vs the "sometimes if you're lucky it's broken for you too, so don't whine about the everlasting blowouts".

• Meh 1

Members
130 posts
252 battles
2 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

Yep, that is what I always try to do. The constant whining that is the norm is what drove me out of ranked in the past but this time around it has been blessedly quiet so I will keep at it.

Since the rework I play only for the win rewards, not for the stars. Makes the whole thing more relaxed. It's like a mission: Win 12 battles, reward 800 steel + camos.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
27,960 posts
14,894 battles
3 minutes ago, Lazy_Joe said:

Since the rework I play only for the win rewards, not for the stars. Makes the whole thing more relaxed. It's like a mission: Win 12 battles, reward 800 steel + camos.

I just let the stars fall as they will. I have no desire to advance into silver.

[PVE]
Members
7,921 posts
23,939 battles
23 minutes ago, Lazy_Joe said:

Is this value correct?

Screenshot_20210223-065918.thumb.png.01a93c11309bde852fccbe42f115c553.png

No...I'm at rank 4 already this season (all in the Kagero)...not sure why that's showing up like that...

But I just checked 3 other people  (Edit: Everybody) in this thread (including the OP) that say they've played ranked battles & it's showing the same thing for them (at least from my phone...not at computer presently).

Edited by IfYouSeeKhaos
  • Cool 1

[RAGE]
Members
2,004 posts
9,099 battles
7 minutes ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

No...I'm at rank 4 already this season (all in the Kagero)...not sure why that's showing up like that...

But I just checked 3 other people in this thread (including the OP) that say they've played ranked battles & it's showing the same thing for them (at least from my phone...not at computer presently).

Mine is the same way.  I noticed this yesterday.  Stopped at rank5 after getting the bronze rewards.  Checked my page to see how many battles I did but it says zero.  Wows-numbers has accurate stats. 

[SLDR]
Members
319 posts
12,392 battles
11 hours ago, black_hull4 said:

Only in this forum will someone complain that they won a match in 9 minutes. Not 4. Not 5. Nine.

Dear gods...

Not complaining because my team won too quickly. Like I said, I have just as often been on the losing end of a quick battle. I just find it's academically interesting, this match making thing.

WG repeatedly says that match making does not consider skill levels. While that algorithm could be ok for a random game, with only 7 players in a ranked team I'd say that algorithm would far more often produce an uneven battle.

Again, no whining on my part. I just want to put in 1 data point in this match making discussion.

[TCCN]
Members
79 posts
9,142 battles

I had a loss yesterday, Pommern on my team; player had 72 randoms with 35% WR, 17 ranked battles with a 29% WR. Needless to say he would have been more useful if he yoloed in to try to use his torps than what he did.