You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
jags_domain

WG can you do something with getting steel.

43 comments in this topic

[SGSS]
Members
5,772 posts

I know you don't want many of these ships out there, however.

If you get the 40 steel per day, 44 if you have a clan.

That's 1320 a month.  Ships are 33k that's 25 months.

If you have a coupon ship drops to 24,750.  That's still almost 20 months.

You can do rank. I got through bronze but cannot get into silver.  There is the Christmas thing but spending 2 years having to play every day is a bit much.

The PEF thing a few years ago was fun.  Maybe more of thoughts.

• Funny 1
  • Haha 1

Supertester
4,177 posts
4,643 battles

The main way you should be getting steel is clan wars and ranked battles. If you're wanting premium ships, then the dockyards are great opportunities.

• Cool 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Meh 1

[SGSS]
Members
5,772 posts
1 minute ago, Noshiro_ said:

The main way you should be getting steel is clan wars and ranked battles. If you're wanting premium ships, then the dockyards are great opportunities.

I am trying to get into silver.

My clan does not do clan wars.

Members
1,559 posts
10,681 battles

You can always convert it to coal for a coal ship. Wouldn't recommend it...but it's "something".

Supertester
4,177 posts
4,643 battles
1 minute ago, jags_domain said:

If you're wanting steel, then you should find a clan that does clan wars

• Cool 1
  • Meh 3

[SGSS]
Members
5,772 posts
3 minutes ago, Noshiro_ said:

If you're wanting steel, then you should find a clan that does clan wars

Yes, better plan!

[LOU1]
Members
4,249 posts
12,713 battles

The reason they came up with Steel was to get people to play Clan and Ranked. The original Steel ships were actually Clan reward ships, IIRC.  It was surprising when they allowed some other methods and the 20 or so you get from Daily Missions is an indicator of how they feel about earning outside of the "competitive" modes.  If it weren't for needing that incentive they would have stopped with Coal...

Edited by ExploratorOne

[BB35]
[BB35]
Members
536 posts
15,596 battles

Start playing Ranked, you'll get steel.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
5,739 posts
21,830 battles

They created the currency to get people to play Ranked and Clan Battles. It shouldn't be surprising that the main ways to get them are through Ranked and Clan Battles.

• Thanks 1

[JHF]
[JHF]
Members
298 posts
5,078 battles

Just play clan battles.  If your clan does not play those, then try being a fill in 'mercenary'.  I mean last clan battle back in October for example, : The Clan Battles "Northern Waters" Season.   You could get up to 11,000 Steel.

Clan battles may require you to be social.  It's not for the unfriendly or toxic types.  However you can make more steel than you would otherwise if you can manage wins.

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
26,136 posts
29,173 battles
24 minutes ago, ArtfulNothing_ said:

Can't you get steel playing clan battles as a mercenary now?  

Yes, but if you're looking to maximize steel earned in CBs as a merc, you probably need to be a pretty good player.  Good enough that a better clan would be willing to use you as a merc.

[SALVO]
Members
26,136 posts
29,173 battles
1 hour ago, jags_domain said:

You can do rank. I got through bronze but cannot get into silver.  There is the Christmas thing but spending 2 years having to play every day is a bit much.

2 or 3 years back, they sold a "steel campaign" for real money.  It was kind of pricey, in the $60 range, IIRC.  I'm a bit surprised that they haven't repeated this, as there are plenty of whales in your situation who might be willing to buy a campaign to earn steel.  

[PUDEL]
Members
375 posts
2,021 battles

I am a terrible player, so I have a clan of my own [PUDEL], that few want to join. I get some of the benefits, without the hassles of clan politics.

I get steel through play, and consider myself lucky when I get it. It will be a long, long time before I can afford a steel ship. I am OK with this.

• Cool 2

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
27,930 posts
14,885 battles
1 hour ago, Noshiro_ said:

Both Ranked and Clan Battles can be frustrating and a grind to get the most out of them and you need a clan that is interested in doing CB which many of us do not have. There is the mercenary route but that is not really a viable path for average or less players.

• Cool 1

Members
7,363 posts
17,418 battles
2 hours ago, jags_domain said:

People have been whining about reward ships for ranked and the steel economy it morphed into. 

Well, all the whiners got what they wanted and not only can steel for the reward ships be earned from ranked or clan battles without finishing them, it is also earned for free from daily missions and yearly events like snowflakes and yet people are still sitting here whining about how sufferin hard it is to get steel. 

Would you like a tissue? 

Edited by DuckyShot
  • Cool 2
  • Funny 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Meh 6

[UNC]
Members
909 posts
6,322 battles

I am only playing ranked to try to earn steel, but if there was an easier way to get it I would do it in a heartbeat.  I hate ranked with a passion, but its the only feasible way for me to earn steel so I do it.  I am ok with steel being a rare resource that is difficult to earn, even if it means that I may miss out on a ship or two that I might want.

[--K--]
Supertester
1,488 posts
14,249 battles

Clan battles are way more fun than ranked to me, not every clan has must attend 80%of CB sessions and practices while maintaining a 2500 PR etc. Find one and try out CB, you may be surprised how much you like it. 

[1984]
Members
4,482 posts
21,506 battles
3 hours ago, jags_domain said:

Then join a clan that does.

[1984]
Members
4,482 posts
21,506 battles
2 hours ago, Crucis said:

2 or 3 years back, they sold a "steel campaign" for real money.  It was kind of pricey, in the $60 range, IIRC.  I'm a bit surprised that they haven't repeated this, as there are plenty of whales in your situation who might be willing to buy a campaign to earn steel.  

They sold like 12k with hizen, and if you finished the max free stages you only paid like 7k dubloons. Only....

[RLGN]
Members
15,665 posts
27,399 battles

Then there's 'just don't care.'

Old Ranked since season 2; (Though Steel wasn't a reward until later,) various events rewards, dailies, and containers, and however long since Steel became a currency.

37,410 total. Haven't spent any, no real plans to do so at the moment. (Though, truth be told, I was surprised at which ships I might be able to afford, when I looked up how much Steel I had just now.)

Don't plan on playing New Ranked, and you couldn't get me to play Clan Wars if you dragged me kicking and screaming.

In fact, they kicked me out of my first clan because I refused to do so.

Edited by Estimated_Prophet

[SALVO]
Members
26,136 posts
29,173 battles
55 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Then there's 'just don't care.'

Old Ranked since season 2; (Though Steel wasn't a reward until later,) various events rewards, dailies, and containers, and however long since Steel became a currency.

37,410 total. Haven't spent any, no real plans to do so at the moment. (Though, truth be told, I was surprised at which ships I might be able to afford, when I looked up how much Steel I had just now.)

Don't plan on playing New Ranked, and you couldn't get me to play Clan Wars if you dragged me kicking and screaming.

In fact, they kicked me out of my first clan because I refused to do so.

I have between 50k and 60k steel, and am not interested in the current steel ships (i.e. Shikishima, FDR, Plymouth, and Bourgogne).   And I don't really feel like spending steel on the fancy steel perma-camo.

Not sure what your gripe is with CBs.  CVs in CBs is a recent thing.  The upcoming season is tier 9, which I'm not looking forward to.  I'll probably just play premium ships because there are very few tech tree ships for which I have well skill commanders and I'm not interested in spending resources to transfer over my good tier 10 CO's into tier 9 ships.  

[SOBA6]
Members
281 posts
3 hours ago, Ralph_Vargr said:

I am a terrible player, so I have a clan of my own [PUDEL], that few want to join. I get some of the benefits, without the hassles of clan politics.

I get steel through play, and consider myself lucky when I get it. It will be a long, long time before I can afford a steel ship. I am OK with this.

How many active people in your clan right now?

[WOLFX]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,164 posts
4,307 battles

Once upon a time I was also irritated about the difficulty of getting certain ships. First they were clan battles and/or ranked reward ships, then steel came along essentially serving the same function.

After a good bit of thinking on the subject I simply wrote off those ships as something I'll likely never get.

My daily life prevents me from committing the time needed for clan battles, and the scheduling of ranked means I'll get to play very few games of it, even with the reworked way it's set up now.

OP, you mentioned snowflake events, daily missions, and ranked at bronze level as your sources of steel. That's actually not too terrible in the big scheme of things.

In one two week season you can earn 600 for 9 wins in bronze league, as well as an additional 40 per day (560 for 2 weeks). 1160 steel for 2 weeks of play, never leaving bronze league. 

If you were able to do that consistently you could afford a steel ship about every 6 months.

(Yes, I know there are times ranked isn't available, certain clan bonuses will get you more, and there are also snowflake events a few times a year. This is just a rough estimation).

During the course of earning it you will also earn quite a bit of coal, which I personally use for premium ships and occasional signal flags if I run low on something, so that's an added bonus there.

Overall my advice would be to remember that this is a game, and a hobby, don't make it a job. Play in a way that you find fun, and enjoy whatever rewards come your way from your own playstyle. 

• Cool 1

[RLGN]
Members
15,665 posts
27,399 battles
3 hours ago, Crucis said:

Not sure what your gripe is with CBs.

Nothing in particular, too much a lone wolf perhaps?

A literally zero percent success rate with team coms initially, (none of the programs I tried in 2016 ever worked,) didn’t help things any.