You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Taylor3006

New German DD Line in Super Test, Should We Prepare?

16 comments in this topic

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
9,672 posts
25,163 battles

I got to thinking last night about the new German DDs in testing. They start out at tier 7 so I would think they would branch off of the Gaede at tier 6 and looked at her in my port. I only have 1700 xp on the ship (she has elite status) so was thinking I should play her for a daily win for a bit and get that number up to around 60-70k so I can unlock the tier 7 when they get into the game. Does anyone have any thoughts or see any error in my thinking? Figured it would be better to work on it over time than to wait until the last minute and try to rush it. 

[Y0L0W]
Beta Testers
353 posts
9,035 battles

you might want to look into them more before ya spend time trying to farm for them, they look pretty bad stat wise.

• Cool 1

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
9,672 posts
25,163 battles
Just now, EraserNZ1 said:

you might want to look into them more before ya spend time trying to farm for them, they look pretty bad stat wise.

Oh I have no interest in playing the ships. For me, the tech tree ships only represent the coal & steel you get for snowflake events. The tier 7 seems to be low hanging fruit in this regard so I wanna pick it without putting in too much effort grinding. 

[DEV_X]
Alpha Tester
2,737 posts
26,285 battles

Well there is advance you'll be able to get the Tier 7 as an "early release" with tokens or whatever like we are with the Italians BBs.

This brought a random question to mind, will Z23 still have its 150mm option?

[SALVO]
Members
26,149 posts
29,241 battles
9 minutes ago, Skuggsja said:

Well there is advance you'll be able to get the Tier 7 as an "early release" with tokens or whatever like we are with the Italians BBs.

This brought a random question to mind, will Z23 still have its 150mm option?

Ditto for the Gaede.  Honestly, I prefer the smaller guns, since they're more "destroyer" guns, while the larger ones are better for engaging cruisers.

[SALVO]
Members
26,149 posts
29,241 battles
47 minutes ago, Taylor3006 said:

Oh I have no interest in playing the ships. For me, the tech tree ships only represent the coal & steel you get for snowflake events. The tier 7 seems to be low hanging fruit in this regard so I wanna pick it without putting in too much effort grinding. 

I'm not particularly interested in the new German gunboats,  since they're armed with larger, anti-cruiser guns that aren't particularly well suited to anti-DD engagements.  Also, Flamu recently did a video where one of the things he discussed was the new German DDs.  And those  DDs looked very bad.  Weak hydro, weak, short ranged torps, no smoke, not much speed, and were armed with the larger 150mm guns and had lots of HP.    While the French and Swedish DDs also didn't have smoke, they seemed pretty well suited to fighting without smoke. I just don't see how these new German gunboats are supposed to succeed with the stats they have.  They seem sort of like slow Khabas.  If they had smoke or speed, they might have a chance.  But as they  currently are, they seem like slow moving targets, just waiting to get spanked by the enemy.

[DEV_X]
Alpha Tester
2,737 posts
26,285 battles
34 minutes ago, Crucis said:

Ditto for the Gaede.  Honestly, I prefer the smaller guns, since they're more "destroyer" guns, while the larger ones are better for engaging cruisers.

I believe it would make sense for Gaede to keep its 150mm option as both branches will split from it. It seems like a clever way to create a sort of "flow" between the lines. It's also a clever way to have a new player decide which line to pursue first. Of course, that's if these new DDs arent the worst new tech tree line yet...

[SALVO]
Members
26,149 posts
29,241 battles
4 minutes ago, Skuggsja said:

I believe it would make sense for Gaede to keep its 150mm option as both branches will split from it. It seems like a clever way to create a sort of "flow" between the lines. It's also a clever way to have a new player decide which line to pursue first. Of course, that's if these new DDs aren't the worst new tech tree line yet...

A very fair point, Skuggsja.  :cap_like:

• Cool 1

[WOLF9]
Members
1,150 posts
23,210 battles

Not really looking forward to grinding another smokeless DD line, but I will add it to my list.  I am currently grinding the EU DDs and the MN DDs, and those 2 lines are fighting me every inch of the way (at T8 on both of them right now).

I would put the KM DDs at approximately mid May at the earliest.

10.2 - RM BB early access part 2 - mid March

10.3 - RM BB full release - mid April

10.4 - KM DDs ?? - mid May

[SALVO]
Members
26,149 posts
29,241 battles
1 hour ago, kyesac said:

Not really looking forward to grinding another smokeless DD line, but I will add it to my list.  I am currently grinding the EU DDs and the MN DDs, and those 2 lines are fighting me every inch of the way (at T8 on both of them right now).

I would put the KM DDs at approximately mid May at the earliest.

10.2 - RM BB early access part 2 - mid March

10.3 - RM BB full release - mid April

10.4 - KM DDs ?? - mid May

I don't have that much of a problem with smokeless DDs, per se.  I do fine in the French and Euro DDs because, in large part, their meta meshes well with the smokeless playstyle.  The problem I see with  the German Large gunboat DD is that its apparent playstyle doesn't appear to mesh well with being smokeless.

[PVE]
Members
1,144 posts
9,609 battles

If you enjoy Gaeda enough then I would go for it. We have a good amount of time so you can go about it at a comfortable pace. If there is an early release event where you could get it for tokens or whatever, then that will be chill and comfortable as well since you could essentially nope out of it and still get the T7.

[PVE]
Members
13,441 posts
28,236 battles

This line SCREAMS FXP at the moment.

I am not sure I have it in me to finish grinding the new T9 BB Lepanto to have the XP ready for the T10 when it is released let alone take up a new line of nothing but suck immediately after (or start now) when those new KM DD's come out.

A bad BB is no fun to play but a bad DD is just 10X worse. 

I am reaching the point of no longer caring about doing every line to T10 whether I like them or not.

WG broke me. :Smile_amazed:

Edited by AdmiralThunder

[CO-OP]
Members
2,874 posts
28,581 battles

I've got XP on the Shchors, Colorado, and Danae from the previous Russian cruisers, US battleships, and RN cruisers splits.  If WG continues the trend, you'll be able to get the first couple of DDs as early access without having to spend any time on Gaede.

[ARGSY]
Members
23,462 posts
17,427 battles
22 hours ago, Taylor3006 said:

I only have 1700 xp on the ship (she has elite status) so was thinking I should play her for a daily win for a bit and get that number up to around 60-70k so I can unlock the tier 7 when they get into the game. Does anyone have any thoughts or see any error in my thinking?

That sounds fair. Play her first every day if you've got no higher priorities, pick up the extra 500 XP a day, and by the time actually releases, you should be able to unlock and play it.

I went back and power-ground the Gaede back up to about 70,000 XP so I could "set and forget", and she's got a 10 pointer in her right now ready to move into the new line. I want to play the new line and see what it's like without being tied down to doing the event.

I don't like the numbers on paper, but I suspect there's something about them in-game which doesn't show in the stats. Alas, until the NDA lifts, we can't know for sure.

• Cool 1

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
29,912 posts
25,782 battles
22 hours ago, EraserNZ1 said:

I remember the thread talking about them when WG put out the announcement and initial stats.  Other than German ship fanboys, the excitement wasn't there.  But PVP is a very different ballgame from what players can get away with here in PVE.