You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
_8V92_Detroit_

Iowa woes

8 comments in this topic

[SPTR]
Members
2,312 posts
2,802 battles

So I apparently do pretty good damage in my Iowa, but she just feels so lackluster in every way compared to pretty much any other T9 BB. FDG has great armor, hydro, secondaries, etc. Soyuz has Stalinium everything and railguns. Jean Bart has speed boost and MBRB, We don't talk about Minni-slow-ta, etc

Her armor doesn't seem to hold up (I've had cruisers take off 10k when I'm bow in), and citadels from the dumbest angles. Yes I know it's not as bad as it once was, but she still feels so flimsy. Not to mention how much SAP and HE hurts.

The maneuverability is downright tragic, forget dodging torps; if you do; it's purely down to luck. Yes I do have the C hull.

She can go fast but can't turn or get moving/slow down within a postal code, and struggles to be able to didge anything or get out of sticky situations

The guns are supposed to be great, but almost every time I pull the trigger they either all miss, or just shatter and bounce. No, I'm not sitting at 17km+, yes I'm running the dispersion mod, yes I'm trying to shoot what's broadside if I can. Still doesn't pay off. I've had so many 70-80k games that easily could have been 100k+ if the guns weren't so horribly unreliable...she feels like Littorio, without the stealth or great shell velocity. I've watched several videos to try to figure Iowa out, I'll usually try to go to a flank and stay at mid range. Focus cruisers and broadside BB's. But there's nothing like lining up the perfect shot so many times just to have the guns utterly fail in every way. The shells are so slow to get downrange that they're easy af to dodge.

I was slow to warm to NC, but I did end up liking her after a while. Iowa I just can't come to terms with. No matter what I try to do differently, I can't can't make this thing work for me....1898941537_Screenshot(1223).thumb.png.92aaa992a06d04a77475d6679740af8d.png

Edited by _8V92_Detroit_

Members
890 posts

im having the same problem with the georgia....started playing ranks and it was living up to its description 3 days later its a POS...

i think the only good  day was the first day i played it....shells seem really soft now ..got citadeled head on and detonated head on....

wonder where the great accuracy went ? 

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
10,932 posts
18,944 battles

Keep on trucking.

image.png.bdb8d8edb2a0db97d30eb9a6bb573c5f.png

Edited by Sovereigndawg
  • Cool 1

[META_]
Members
52 posts
1,668 battles

Hmm this is not the impression I get, I like and I think most content creators like her to. I don't want to go point by point explaining counter arguments (unless you want to) but maybe she just isn't your kind of ship. 

[TDR]
[TDR]
Members
1,116 posts
11,893 battles

I like my Iowa. I assume you must not have the hulls researched as she is actually quite fast and maneuverable for a bb.

[SPTR]
Members
2,312 posts
2,802 battles
2 hours ago, ditka_Fatdog said:

I like my Iowa. I assume you must not have the hulls researched as she is actually quite fast and maneuverable for a bb.

I have the C hull, should have mentioned that

[SPTR]
Members
2,312 posts
2,802 battles
5 hours ago, KilluaWalker said:

Hmm this is not the impression I get, I like and I think most content creators like her to. I don't want to go point by point explaining counter arguments (unless you want to) but maybe she just isn't your kind of ship. 

It's what I've heard, oddly though I loved all the US BB's up till her. I know she's different from the rest tho, and that's maybe why

Edited by _8V92_Detroit_

Members
1,744 posts
8,862 battles

It's fine if you don't get it — Iowa is a good ship, but not necessarily for everyone.

Iowa is a bit more of a jack-of-all-trades than the NC. It's not worse than the NC in any meaningful way (a bit less concealment, but still enough to be battleship-sneaky on occasion. It's slightly better-protected, with slightly improved guns and significantly more speed, so you can play it like a NC sometimes. Where it doesn't work like an NC is that at tier 9, it faces tougher enemies more often, and it just can't get away with the same sort of play all the time.

You need to adjust the Iowa to the situation. I uses a Close-Quarters build, but I will kite or snipe if that's what the situation requires, or I'll get in and push, or sneak up to 13 km and give  CA a surprise citadel.You just can't do the same thing all the time with it.