Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.

8 comments in this topic

[FLTF1]
[FLTF1]
Members
186 posts
5,219 battles

While there are only a handful of Battlecruisers in the game, and most of them are premiums, I enjoy their playstyle. The British and Germans are known for their battlecruisers, the USN spent a long time tinkering and toying with the idea of Battlecruisers, and they took a variety of approaches. The line I have presented here follows the latter developments of the quest for a Lexington-Class Battlecruiser up to tier 8. The tier V and VI are interesting designs, but are more optional and there to help fill the line. Their weak armor might lend them better to being super-cruisers are high tiers. Thoughts?

Pros
+High Speed
+Responsive Rudder
+Quick Acceleration
+High Health Pool

Cons
-Weak Armor
-Wide Turning Circle
-Easily Knocked Out Engine
-Long & High Citadel
-Poor AA

Unique Line Consumable
Acceleration Boost- Short Duration, Short Cooldown, High Charge Count. While active, the Acceleration Boost drastically reduces time required for the ship to reach either it's top speed to or come to a halt. This is useful in long range dueling to avoid incoming fire, while brawling to avoid torpedoes, or even to initiate or avoid a ram. Engine performance can be improved between 33%-50%, depending on tier, balancing, ect, and would last between 10-20 seconds at the most. Charges would be about 5-7, after skills. It does not improve top speed, only the time to reach it.

The Line is entered through researching the USS New York's Upgraded Engines.

Tier V
Battle Cruiser 8/25/15

s584082.jpg

Displacement: 35,500t
Health Points: 52,800
Length: 745 ft @ water line
Beam: 100 ft
Speed: 30 kts
Belt: 5-inch (127mm)
Main Armament
4x2 14"/45 Mk 8 (356mm)

Secondary Armament
12x1 6"/53 Mk 15 in Casemate (152mm)
4x1 3"/? AA guns (76.2mm)
x .50 cal machine guns (12.7mm)

Consumables
Damage Control Party
Repair Party
Acceleration Boost

With a High citadel, a high speed, and weak belt, she will begin training players in how to play the agile-but-fragile USN Battle Cruisers. Those who were expecting a brawlly battleship will be quickly cured of these notions, as these ships have less armor than even their British counterparts.

Tier VI
Battle Cruiser 6/16/16
USS Constitution

s584102.jpg

Displacement: 33,500t
Health Points: 50,400
Length: 850ft at water line
Beam: 90ft
Speed: 35 kts
Belt: 5-inch (127mm)
Main Armament
2x2 14"/45 Mk 8 (356mm)
2x3 14"/45 Mk 8 (356mm)

Secondary Armament
18x 5"/51 Mk 7 (127mm)
4x1 3"/50 Mk 22 AA guns (76.2mm)
x .50 cal machine guns (12.7mm)

Consumables
Damage Control Party
Repair Party
Acceleration Boost

Probably the most interesting looking ships in the line, with her forest of smoke stacks, she can reach a blistering speed of 35 kts, meaning she can run down even destroyers. For sake of the players taking her out of port, the raised boiler rooms won't count as citadel, but will still count towards disabling her engines. She'll make a fine flanker, but her long size will mean that she has a wide turning circle, even with the inclusion of a responsive rudder.

Tier VII
USS Constellation

H41961.jpg

Displacement: 44,200t
Health Points: 63,000
Length: 874ft overall
Beam: 105ft 4in
Speed: 33kts
Belt: 7-inch (max) 178mm
Main Armament
4x2 16"/50 Mk 2

Secondary Armament
14x1 6"/53 Mk 15 in Casemate (152mm)
8x1 3"/50 Mk 22 AA guns
x AA Machine Guns

Consumables
Damage Control Party
Repair Party
Acceleration Boost

A little slower than the preceding class, this is the Lexington-Class as she was laid down. She'll still be fast, and would mount guns slightly better than those found on the current tech tree USN BB, the Colorado.

Tier VIII
Battle Cruiser 1919 Scheme B

s584135.jpg

Displacement: 45,000t
Health Points: 64,000
Length: 850ft at waterline
Beam: 99ft
Speed: 33 kts
Belt: 8-inch (203mm)
Main Armament
4x2 16"/50 Mk 2

Secondary Armament
14x1 6"/53 Mk 15 in Casemate (152mm)
4x1 3"/50 Mk 22 AA guns
x AA Machine Guns

Consumables
Damage Control Party
Repair Party
Acceleration Boost

An improved version of the Lexington-Class. As the ship stands, she'd probably be a Tier 7.5, and would require more than a little work to get her up to a suitable tier 8. The issue lies in the gap present in the Battlecruisers and the Battleship Cruisers (Fast Battleships) designed around the same time, and the lack of connection between the two.

Tier IX
Battleship Cruiser Scheme "D"

s584137.jpg

Displacement: 49,500t
Health Points: 69,300
Length: 900ft at waterline, 924ft overall
Beam: 106ft
Speed: 30kts (can be improved via modernization)
Belt: 12-inch (304.8mm)
Main Armament
4x3 16"/50 Mk 3

Secondary Armament
16x1 6"/53 Mk 15 in Casemate (152mm)
4x1 4"/? AA guns
x AA Machine Guns

Consumables
Damage Control Party
Repair Party
Acceleration Boost
Catapult Fighter

I dislike the jump from the Battlecruisers to the Battleship Cruisers, but I am lacking in material, as the Volume 2 of the Bureau of Ships' Spring Styles is missing, presumed destroyed. If anyone has a better idea of what to put here, I am all ears. Originally, USS New Jersey (with her 1968 engine refit) was to fill this spot, but for better continuity of design, this ship was chosen instead. Ideally, a 3x3 16" Battleship Cruiser would sit here, instead, but I was unable to find any appropriate. Obviously, as a Tier 9, this ship would need to undergo extensive modernization.

Tier X
BB-Y3 (Montana Prelim)
USS Maine

[Picture Unavailable]

Displacement: 73,700t
Health Points: 97,900
Length: 1000ft 
Beam: 115ft
Speed: 34knts +
Belt: 14.2-inch (360.68mm)
Main Armament
4x3 16"/50 Mk 7

Secondary Armament
10x2 5"/54 Mk 16 on Mk 41 Mount DP
x AA Machine Guns

Consumables
Damage Control Party
Repair Party
Acceleration Boost
Catapult Fighter

Quite a large jump from the Tier 9, I again run into the problem of having a smooth transition from one tier to the next. This ship will differentiate herself from the Montana by being larger and faster, but having slightly less armor on the belt, having the citadel above water, and having an engine more prone to being knocked out.

These are two other ships considered for the Tier 10 slot, but was ultimately passed over for BB-Y3.

Spoiler

Tier X
Proposed Fast Battleship Scheme C
USS Maine

s584134.jpg

Displacement: 54,500t
Health Points: 75,200
Length: 900ft at waterline, 924ft overall
Beam: 106ft
Speed: 30kts (can be improved via modernization)
Belt: 12-inch (304.8mm)
Main Armament
4x3 16"/50 Mk 3

Secondary Armament
16x1 6"/53 Mk 15 in Casemate (152mm)
4x1 4"/? AA guns
x AA Machine Guns

Consumables
Damage Control Party
Repair Party
Acceleration Boost
Catapult Fighter

Tier X
BB65-2 (Montana Prelim, March-July 1940)
USS Maine

dcvec1r-ee8915f0-7e62-43fb-8485-20fdd616

Displacement: 53,500t (63,000 Trial Displacement)
Health Points: 85,300
Length: 980ft 
Beam: 111ft
Speed: 34.5knts
Belt: 15.75-inch (360.68mm)
Main Armament
3x3 16"/50 Mk 7

Secondary Armament
10x2 5"/38 Mk 12 on Mk 32 Mount DP
x AA Machine Guns

Consumables
Damage Control Party
Repair Party
Acceleration Boost
Catapult Fighter

I need some external input for this line, as it is one of the more challenging ones I've put together. Feedback is greatly appreciated.

Edited by 40902nd
  • Cool 5
  • Boring 1

[LOIN]
Supertester
851 posts

You've clearly put alot of thought to this so +1 for that (; 

However, I'm confused though is this line supposed to be cruisers a part of a cruiser split? becouse you called them battleship cruisers ( which yes there was indeed studies like that so you're correct on that) but some of them have 16 inch guns.  If they're cruisers these things have some pretty thick armor for a cruiser. If they are supposed to be battleships a part of a battleship line, then the 5 inch belt armor for the lower tier ones is way too thin for a battleship in this game, granted they're supposed to be fast but a 5 inch belt for battleship wont last that will die real quick. Overall though I like your glass cannon idea. Just a little confused on how would they fit in this game, as a cruiser with extreamly large guns or a battleship with extreamly thin armor and high speed? 

I'm thinking these guys would die way too quickly if their battleships especially with CVs around, you said they're supposed to have poor AA, yeah those wont last

Edited by Starfleet1701

[FLTF1]
[FLTF1]
Members
186 posts
5,219 battles

I can see where the confusion can come it, but I plan on these being 'Battleships' in game terms. Most Battlecruisers that are in-game already, at least those that don't fall into the super-cruiser category, are classed as Battleships.

The very reason I stated in the opening part of the post that I was unsure about the inclusion of the 1915 and 1916 designs was because of their weak armor. However, due to their size, they do have meaty health pools, which, coupled with Repair Party can assist their survivability. These ships would be good trainers for the ships to come, punishing player who show too much side to big guns.

Ultimately, though, this is one of the more difficult lines that I have put together, as there are a number of ideas that the USN worked with, and not all of them flow seamlessly together.

Long story-short, these are Battleship in terms of game mechanics, though they don't have the ability to take a hit like a Battleship, especially at the lower tiers.

[WOLFC]
Members
2,575 posts
11,067 battles

+1 for the work put into the proposal, but I suspect if we ever have a proper “battlecruiser” battleship line the USN won’t be near the top of the list. The obvious choices would be the UK and Germany. Both nations had plenty of CCs to populate low tiers, and the UK tree at least could easily be extended with proposed designs. There’s also the fact that we just received a USN BB split, so I imagine the next USN line (yet alone a USN BB line) won’t be for quite some time.

I do really want to see a Lexington-class at tier VII, albeit as a premium ship. I imagine she would need to be given a theoretical refit that included some up-armoring to make her viable, though, and I would expect her speed to drop slightly to account for the additional weight of armor and AA guns as well as for balance reasons. Also, 35 knots for a tier VI BB seems a bit excessive. She would be able to run down almost every cruiser in her MM spread, most of which can be easily overmatched by her guns, and I don’t think her handling or durability could be compromised enough to offset that advantage without making her too much of a glass cannon.

Edited by Nevermore135

[FLTF1]
[FLTF1]
Members
186 posts
5,219 battles

I already have RN and KM BC lines sketched out, with the RN Line splitting at Tier 8, with one being a more conventional style, while the other is built around the guns being carried in the forward half, while the machine space makes up the aft. I will post those on the same day, likely one after another. I plan on debuting my Secondary-Focused USN BB line first, though that may change if I can't settle on some of the lower tiers, first. Currently, I am using North Carolina Preliminaries, but I am not 100% set on them.

As for the actual balance of these designs, I've only posted them as they were designed, the finer adjustments would be undertaken by people who know how to do such things. I do see you point, however.

[PVE]
Members
508 posts
19,836 battles

I appreciate your hard work and research but, I think the game has enough paper tech tree lines and ships

[MUG-T]
Members
354 posts
3,840 battles
On 2/20/2021 at 7:17 PM, 40902nd said:

Tier XI
Battleship Cruiser Scheme "D"

Tier X
BB-Y3 (Montana Prelim)
USS Maine

1. Ah yes a t11 to go with the recently announced Iowa '84 and Kirov '77

2. https://yamato.fandom.com/wiki/Ginga BBY-03

Jokes aside, I like the proposal (even if only to get Lexington class battlecruiser)

Edited by frankfletcher_1

[FLTF1]
[FLTF1]
Members
186 posts
5,219 battles

Just you wait, I am working on the German BC line as we speak.

Sign in to follow this