Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
LunchCutter

Skane Torps? Skane in general...

23 comments in this topic

Members
1,022 posts
3,050 battles

They reload fast and are very quick.. But man they SUCK!!!!!!

My last game was a face palm of frustration... 3 torps into a crippled Kitakaze DD at close range, does 9k damage??? 6 torps at a North Carolina, he easily dodges them all. 2 hits into a Tirpitz, barely 5k damage, no flooding from any hit.. Why do I bother? This boat can be fun but its torps are so low damage they are like secondary guns on a mid tier BB, a bonus if they hit something but unlikely to do much damage. Yet the Skanes short range guns are hardly powerful. Also no smoke, slow guns and subpar speed, this boat is a serious chore to play. Its only decent point is ok AA for a DD.

• Cool 1
  • Meh 1

[TIMT]
Members
1,365 posts
4,910 battles

Yeah, I felt similar. The EU DDs are pretty meh (at best) in low to mid tiers, they get better at T8 and beyond because you start to get better guns and the torpedoes become more usable. But even Östergotland did not feel that powerful, though the guns are pretty good when you get the range upgrade and spec into more turret traverse.

In general a lot of DD lines that have strong T10 have mediocre mid tier DDs, at least in my experience. Just hang in there, Öland is already an upgrade and from there on it only gets better.

[KIVA]
Members
160 posts

Unfortunately, Skane sits in a bad position in the line- after you lose the strengths of the low to mid tier ships (speed and agility, mainly), but before you gain the strengths of the higher tiers (uber-fast, long-range torps, good AA, progressively better main battery fire rates, and eventually even decent turret traverse with Halland).

Push through, because the higher tier ships represent progressive upgrades that will make the experience better as you go, and Halland especially is a very strong ship- one of the best overall DDs in the game. They're worth suffering through Skane for.

• Cool 1

Members
1,022 posts
3,050 battles

Cheers for the help, it's strange how I really loved the tier 6 Vasteras. Just seems so much harder to enjoy the Skane.. it's torps are fast but everything seems to be able to dodge them..

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
23,378 posts
17,307 battles

Skane blows rabid goat, but what blows rabid goat even worse is stock Oland... because suddenly you face Tier 10 with Skane's upgraded torps. However, once you get the upgraded torps, you get about 50% better damage on them (7K and change up to 10K and change) and start being able to influence more.

I feel a lot better in the Oland than I ever did in the Skane, and unlike every other Euro tech-tree DD I played to that point, she's even good to go in co-op. The downside of the Oland is that you're going to want to take the turret rotation mod; someone slipped molasses into the turret bearings at the builders' yard.

[4HIM]
Beta Testers
2,251 posts
16,107 battles

Yeah agree, Vis and Vat good ships, Skane meh, but starts getting good again at Oster

[CVA16]
Members
6,171 posts
19,033 battles

Aren't these boats good candidates for the extra 30% flooding chance skill?

Or has that skill been ruled bad by the way WG is calculating it?

[Y0L0W]
Members
374 posts
9,101 battles
23 minutes ago, Sabot_100 said:

Aren't these boats good candidates for the extra 30% flooding chance skill?

Or has that skill been ruled bad by the way WG is calculating it?

It's more just that there are better skills to take with your points beforehand. Once you get through PM(1),  LS(2), SE(3), CE(4), FtT(3), and AR(3), you're already at 16 pts. Then most would either take RPF(4) or SiS(4) which leaves you 1 point for Liquidator (flooding skill), or you could take Superintendent(3) and have 2 points left. I would take all of those skills before I take a +30% flooding chance skill.

[NSEW]
Members
467 posts
4,139 battles

Yeah the torps on the line are so trash Im going to invest in guns instead

I found that to be the best parts of Oland and Skane

Can't count on these torps for anything

Edited by TaxDollarsAtWork

Members
540 posts
20 battles

I quite like Skane, it's one of the very few tech tree ships at tier 7 I have kept.  Visby was good too, but I found Vasteras quite underwhelming (although I somehow managed to not lose a game while grinding through it, despite thinking it was a pretty average ship).  Skane's torps and AA are both really nice to use, the torps go from the 10km/65kt tier 6 torps, to the first really decent torps in the line, at 12km/76kts.  That's a massive jump, and is one of the reasons Skane is where the EU DD line really starts to shine, and actually feel like the higher tier ships.

Overall the EU DD line is one of the best of the last couple of years, the main issue being they are a bit too user friendly, having everything a DD captain could possible want to make their lives as comfortable as possible, apart from smoke - particularly the tier 10, which is why they are so incredibly popular.

Having said all that, my absolute favourite EU DD's are both premiums - Friesland and Smaland, which are superb ships.  I personally prefer gunboats to torp boats though, so that's why I particularly like these two ships.

[-TKS-]
[-TKS-]
Members
985 posts
7,941 battles

I hate the line outside of Halland. Never resetting that one again lol

[FORM]
Members
2,206 posts
13,218 battles
13 hours ago, LunchCutter said:

EU torps are about a fear factor as much as anything else. If RNGesus blesses you with a flood, than just thank your lucky stars!

Personally I'd prefer them 10km slower and doing a good bit more dmg. They're a pretty silly outlier in the meta as it is now IMO. 

Members
674 posts
5,358 battles
12 hours ago, LunchCutter said:

Cheers for the help, it's strange how I really loved the tier 6 Vasteras. Just seems so much harder to enjoy the Skane.. it's torps are fast but everything seems to be able to dodge them..

you should check the torpedo detection radius, EU torps are not exactly stealthy and it gets worst as you go up the tiers.

unfortunately WG got the bad habit of making mid tiers mediocre at best, is not until the t8/t9 when the torp speed and AA start to truly shine.

[WOLFC]
Members
2,341 posts

I loved Skane but I had to approach it as a support vessel - think of it as cruiser with decent torps & bad guns & great concealment. 

Most importantly, if you like torp boats, Halland is worth this grind.  In the current meta, that boat sings.

[WOLFG]
Members
32,288 posts
9,989 battles
12 hours ago, LunchCutter said:

I agree. Vasteras also had, for me anyway, more usable guns, very similar to IJN 127mm DDs. Those guns were useful right out to their max range.

[REKTD]
Members
533 posts
10,774 battles

I have ran into several Skäne drivers that made my game experience a nightmare due to there skill. So far, I’ve not even gotten decent with Vasteras, so I cannot speak on Skäne directly, but I hate fighting them.

[SRBL]
Members
541 posts
14,236 battles
15 hours ago, LunchCutter said:

My last game was a face palm of frustration... 3 torps into a crippled Kitakaze DD at close range, does 9k damage??? 6 torps at a North Carolina, he easily dodges them all. 2 hits into a Tirpitz, barely 5k damage, no flooding from any hit.. Why do I bother? This boat can be fun but its torps are so low damage they are like secondary guns on a mid tier BB, a bonus if they hit something but unlikely to do much damage. Yet the Skanes short range guns are hardly powerful. Also no smoke, slow guns and subpar speed, this boat is a serious chore to play. Its only decent point is ok AA for a DD.

Are you running Jerzy with a full torp skill build? It makes a noticeable difference.

Members
1,022 posts
3,050 battles
On 2/22/2021 at 3:21 AM, Tom_Greg said:

Are you running Jerzy with a full torp skill build? It makes a noticeable difference.

No I missed out on that guy...☹️

Members
1,022 posts
3,050 battles

Well after around 30 games with Mr Skane I'm still not sure what type of boat it's trying to be?

It's not a torp boat, it's torps are fast and long range but do minimal damage and it only has 2 narrow triple launchers. 2 hits into a Benson yesterday only did 7k damage.. 

It's definitely not a gun boat with 2 slow turrets and a slow rate if fire and a 10k range. Most other DDs easily out gun it.

It's not an effective scout DD, too slow, no smoke and average detection rating even with captain skills and Camo.

It's only positive is above average AA, which generates no real score bonus. Yet can be a support boat for more effective DDs.

It really needs smoke.

Members
522 posts
17,359 battles

It’s fine? Despite the advice above, I take the flood boost. Skane reloads about the same time torps impact, meaning you can stack floods and fires on reds. She’s not great at much of anything, but is a generalist/all-around dd. Tier 7 isn’t great for any dd...

[WOLF3]
Members
508 posts
11,733 battles
13 minutes ago, Telastyn said:

It’s fine? Despite the advice above, I take the flood boost. Skane reloads about the same time torps impact, meaning you can stack floods and fires on reds. She’s not great at much of anything, but is a generalist/all-around dd. Tier 7 isn’t great for any dd...

One of the reasons I am staying at T6 in that class. You avoid radar but get punished with CVs though and the DDs at that tier seem to be good representations of what the lines highlights are.

Edited by Drifter_X

[WOLF7]
Members
875 posts
1 hour ago, LunchCutter said:

It's definitely not a gun boat with 2 slow turrets and a slow rate if fire and a 10k range. Most other DDs easily out gun it.

According to the wiki, Skane has a faster rate of fire and more shots per minute than Mahan even though Mahan has 5 guns to Skane's 4.

https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Destroyers

Members
1,022 posts
3,050 battles
2 hours ago, HamAndCheez said:

According to the wiki, Skane has a faster rate of fire and more shots per minute than Mahan even though Mahan has 5 guns to Skane's 4.

https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Destroyers

I found the Mahan to be a vastly better gunboat. IT easily smokes Japanese DDs and most other (non French) DDs at medium range. Just let down by it's crappy torps.

Edited by LunchCutter

Sign in to follow this