Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Slenderdude1

Vermont Playstyle

12 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

35
[TZU]
Beta Testers
233 posts
3,083 battles

Looking for some advice, just researched USS Vermont and I'm currently grinding the credits to buy her, just curious what the preferred playstyle would be for her? Currently, with USS Minnesota, I play her as a mid-range support Ship, and I only get in close range if either the enemy is low health or I have allied support with me which tends to work well. In my experience, she is far from a brawler, and I would assume the same is true for the Vermont. Any tips or advice you could give?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,497
[TSG4]
[TSG4]
Volunteer Moderator
3,369 posts
17,012 battles

Mini map awareness, take advantage of the surrounding to hide your gun bloom. Take your shots considerably

learnt armor type and pen value to know who you can shoot at and which amo type to use

youtube search for replay is another good place to look

44 minutes ago, Slenderdude1 said:

advice you could give? 

 

  • Boring 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35
[TZU]
Beta Testers
233 posts
3,083 battles
14 minutes ago, ObiphanKenobi said:

Mini map awareness, take advantage of the surrounding to hide your gun bloom. Take your shots considerably

learnt armor type and pen value to know who you can shoot at and which amo type to use

youtube search for replay is another good place to look

 

Yeah I bought her and took her in a few co-op battles to get a feel for her and I've been looking over some review and gameplay videos. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
234
[SWOLF]
Beta Testers
807 posts
8,555 battles

start off the match passive, staying centrally located angled away from where the main fighting is. kite and dodge in the center till mid game when everyone is low health. then push a weak flank with your team. biuld it for accuracy, and survivability specifically fire proofing with high action time on your damage control (get the dmg control mod in slot one for coal).

 

its a fun ship, but it takes a little bit of time to get used to. those guns though are amazing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
754
[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
2,524 posts

You are too slow to get into the fight before it's over.


Stay where you are in spawn. There will be something to shoot at soon enough when the smoke clears.

 

Don't come too far foward. I salviate at the potential adding of the 100,000 obese hull points to my rack.

Edited by xHeavy
  • Cool 1
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
537
[SOBA6]
Members
281 posts

The perfect playstyle is to park it in your port and just look at it once in a while. I own a lot of BB's and she is the absolute worst by FAR. I played maybe 20 games in it before I decided it was not fun.

  • Boring 3
  • Meh 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,846
[DOTM]
Beta Testers
2,028 posts
14,013 battles
3 hours ago, Lord_Argus said:

The perfect playstyle is to park it in your port and just look at it once in a while. I own a lot of BB's and she is the absolute worst by FAR. I played maybe 20 games in it before I decided it was not fun.

The Vermont isn't a bad ship, though I won't argue that it doesn't need buffs. I'd say bare minimum two more knots to base speed and 5 seconds off reload.

Even with the painfully slow reload, the Vermont is still firing 12 457mm shells, the same shells the Georgia and Ohio shoot. You hit someone with those and they are going to feel it; I scored a triple citadel on a Thunderer the other day in it and took off 50,000 HP from him.

  • Boring 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
537
[SOBA6]
Members
281 posts
10 hours ago, Zaydin said:

The Vermont isn't a bad ship, though I won't argue that it doesn't need buffs. I'd say bare minimum two more knots to base speed and 5 seconds off reload.

Even with the painfully slow reload, the Vermont is still firing 12 457mm shells, the same shells the Georgia and Ohio shoot. You hit someone with those and they are going to feel it; I scored a triple citadel on a Thunderer the other day in it and took off 50,000 HP from him.

but the Georgia is shooting those shells every 26 seconds and can fly around the map at 40 knots

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,514
[ALL41]
Beta Testers
2,407 posts
10,647 battles
23 hours ago, Slenderdude1 said:

Looking for some advice, just researched USS Vermont and I'm currently grinding the credits to buy her, just curious what the preferred playstyle would be for her? Currently, with USS Minnesota, I play her as a mid-range support Ship, and I only get in close range if either the enemy is low health or I have allied support with me which tends to work well. In my experience, she is far from a brawler, and I would assume the same is true for the Vermont. Any tips or advice you could give?  

Vermont is a sniper ship with poor close range performance due to its armor layout and massive superstructure (HE magnet)...and it is extremely slow so being in close range is basically an invitation for anything to sail right up to you and nail you. 

As a sniper though, the V is far superior to Yamato/Musashi/Shikishima and almost as good as Slavabias. 12 guns with excellent dispersion and relatively high arcs for a BB shell give it amazing punching power upon anything it targets. 

 

Things to remember as a Vermont are: 

1- You are slow. You will never be able to keep up with the flow of a battle nor even support a push nor respond to a team losing a flank. You HAVE to be at the center of the map..not on the right, not on the left. 

2- Vermont with range module reaches out to 28.something km's. With spotter plane it becomes 34km. Yes, you WILL hit hard even at 34km. Guns and their accuracy are EXCELLENT. 

3- Shells travel slow so you need to learn the gun before you start pulling high numbers. It takes a week or so to 'get it' so don't get discouraged. 

4- Because of the shell's high arcs, Vermont can lob shells over a lot of terrain which other BB's cant. You're almost a USN cruiser in terms of lobbing shells over mountains. 

5- Because of shell's high arcs, Vermont has a very good chance of landing deck-penetrating citadel hits on bow or angled cruisers and since they are 18 inch shells, many BB's as well. Above 20kms you do need to aim around deckling.. under 18 aim for the traditional waterline. 

6- You will be the Reaper of Citadels ... but don't forget you are also the B-slapper of upper side armor. A T10 german or french or USN BB will take horrendous damage from your full salvo if it hits the upper side belts. There will be times you will want to hit the side belt more than try for a citadel if the target is slightly angled...as it is better to land a consistent 45k+ damage a salvo than a single citadel with a few pens (less than 20k). 

7- Your armor is good but its not the best. You do not have cheektadels like Yamato has but you still need to sail and angle as if you did...because the fat bulge at the waist of the ship tends to let other BBs land high damage upper side armor hits if you angle just enough for secondaries to fire. This would be suicide in Yamato but Vermont just needs to angle a tiny bit more bow-on than when you trying to give secondaries a line of fire at your target (~20 degrees?).. and you will be rewarded with shells bouncing off the waist curvature rather than penetrating it. 

8- Positioning is everything. You are a lumbering piece of floating artillery. Know the spots cruisers usually sit and hide behind, learn the 'clearance arc' distance of your shells to said island and get to a spot where you will get that distance, angle and clearance.

9- BE PATIENT. With a 40 second reload you are not going to be adding up DPS and long range fire is usually ineffective against constantly maneuvering ships. Your targets are whoever is unfortunate enough to be in your gun range and who chose to slow down or stop or hug an island. Rain pain on those fools and help the team out. 

vmontpow.jpg

  • Cool 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,514
[ALL41]
Beta Testers
2,407 posts
10,647 battles
1 hour ago, Lord_Argus said:

but the Georgia is shooting those shells every 26 seconds and can fly around the map at 40 knots

Georgia does not have the accuracy vermont has..not 12 barrels. 12 barrels plus high accuracy/low dispersion add up to a sledgehammer to the forehead upon anything you hit. 

Also, when you can reach out to 34km (practically the whole map in most cases) your speed becomes irrelevant. Georgia does not outrun an AP shell ;) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,846
[DOTM]
Beta Testers
2,028 posts
14,013 battles
5 hours ago, Lord_Argus said:

but the Georgia is shooting those shells every 26 seconds and can fly around the map at 40 knots

The Georgia is always squishy as balls. Not saying the Georgia is a bad ship but she doesn't have the armor or health to really make the most of her secondary battery.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,067
[5D]
Members
1,140 posts
15,113 battles

it all about map awareness in about 3 min i had around 100k in that match with ended up to be a 230k+ game , Vermont does well as long you can get broadside , so be in a place were you can get broadside ,

shot-21_02.03_21_43.17-0082.thumb.jpg.b39e3640a9c0e6a166a682f0be641765.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×