You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Lord_Argus

Which DD Is The Best DD Hunter At Tier 9 and 10?

20 comments in this topic

[SOBA6]
Members
278 posts

As title says, which DD is the absolute best at hunting other DD's at tiers 9-10? I know there are several with fast firing guns but what do you think is the best? I don't care about how well it spots, torps, speed, etc. Just which DD do you think can win 1v1 against most other DD's if they were in a ring by themselves and had to go head to head. 

• Boring 1

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
25,203 posts
20,998 battles

T9: Friesland

• Cool 1

[KWF]
Members
5,771 posts
7,007 battles

You can't go strictly by DPM, there's loads of factors to consider, most importantly vision control. Kleber or Mogador with Reload Booster and the unique saturation mechanic would absolutely wreck almost any competition, no trouble. Thing is these things will be spotted far earlier than they can spot an enemy DD.

Now, in a proper scenario where spotting plays it's role. I'd go for Smaland due to Radar, DPM, Repair and strong Engine Boost to mess with aim. Alternatively, Friesland at tier IX when you catch opponents unawares can be disgusting. Obviously Kitakaze is a strong competitor as well; 8 guns with excellent DPM and flat trajectories at close range are absolutely devastating.

One of my personal favorites however is Daring, not because of the strong DPM, but because of the incredible AP that can chunk anyone barely showing broadside for 3 or even 4k damage.

Bottom line, the premium pleb's choice in my books would be Smaland but due to it being pulled Friesland. The casual tech tree pleb's choice would be Kitakaze as it's so damn flexible and equally strong versus all classes. Patrician's choice however goes to Daring as dynamic ammo switching transforms this ship from a good flamethrower to a mini-Minotaur at a moments notice, with incredible potential.

Edited by warheart1992
  • Meh 1

[RLGN]
Members
15,645 posts
27,355 battles
50 minutes ago, Lert said:

T9: Friesland

Was a bit hesitant to say so, but if Dutch Cat approves, I’ll throw my vote in with Friesland as well.

(For full disclosure; I broke down and got Smaland. I did decently well in my test battles with it, but I hardly ever had need for the radar. I don’t dislike it, but I like Friesland’s hydro and smoke combo more.)

[INTEL]
Members
7,755 posts
36,915 battles

There are several good choices that other DDs do not want to see close by:

T9 -  Mogador, Friesland, Kitakaze, Fletcher

T10 - Smaland, Daring, Kléber, Marceau

Members
28 posts

Best t10 DDs for enemy DD fighting in my opinion

DDs: Smaland, Marceau, Kleber with main battery reload booster, Harugumo, Daring, Yueyang, Halland and Gearing

Edited by MidwayBestWaifu
  • Boring 2

[O_O]
Members
6,966 posts
16,968 battles

Kitakaze.

It has wicked DPM, even without a reload booster.  Don't forget you can SHRED any DD or CL that gives you a broadside with her AP.

She doesn't have a reload booster, but she does have a Torpedo reload booster...and if used strategically that also makes her a viable battleship killer.

Best of all...she is a free tech tree ship.  I may have other DD's that I would rank slightly above her, but they are all Specials or Premiums.

[USN]
Members
1,511 posts
20,411 battles

T9: Mogador (if played correctly) Jutland, Kitakaze, Friesland, Ostergotland
T10: Daring, Marceau, Smaland, Kleber (if played correctly)

[JHF]
[JHF]
Members
298 posts
5,078 battles
2 hours ago, Lord_Argus said:

As title says, which DD is the absolute best at hunting other DD's at tiers 9-10? I know there are several with fast firing guns but what do you think is the best? I don't care about how well it spots, torps, speed, etc. Just which DD do you think can win 1v1 against most other DD's if they were in a ring by themselves and had to go head to head. 

I would lean towards the new DDs.  Euro and French.  Leave it to the player skill though to decide the outcome.  How many times have you seen a DD gunboat miss almost every shot while a fleeing DD makes short worth of them with fewer guns. but actually hits. 

[CS7]
Members
290 posts
5,099 battles

Surprised no one has mentioned USS Black at T9.  I don't have her (yet), but I've been sunk by them enough to know she is quite powerful DD vs DD.

• Cool 1

[CYNIC]
Members
2,911 posts
7,791 battles

There are no 'best' ships that a player can get and be good with.  The best ship is always the one you're best at using.  While tools have limits, it's the craftsman, not the tool, producing the work. 

[BOMBL]
Members
1,220 posts
15,730 battles

Kitakaze and Daring. Kit has good concealment and stupid dpm. Daring has dpm, AP, acceleration and good concealment 

[ARGSY]
Members
679 posts
10,851 battles

Neustrashimy. But you are going to play it completely different than other dds. You have to have your superheal up before entering a knife fight. But if you use it correctly you can beat most dds that have higher DPM. You win because of your amazing healing ability-not because you are the best gunboat. 

Black is still the best dd killer. Radar and smoke. Nuff said. 

Truth be known tier 9 and 10 has a bunch of great DDs. Anyone of which when played right can do the job. 

• Cool 1

[-K-]
[-K-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,691 posts
10,099 battles

T9 - Friesland

T10 - Smaland

Members
28 posts
On 2/20/2021 at 7:59 PM, Maddau said:

Surprised no one has mentioned USS Black at T9.  I don't have her (yet), but I've been sunk by them enough to know she is quite powerful DD vs DD.

Black is good against DDs like smaland because she has a radar

[FFLY]
Members
138 posts
On 2/20/2021 at 4:35 PM, Lord_Argus said:

You can do it with a CV. That way you can eat pizza and watch YouTube at the same time. 

• Boring 1