You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
spiritslay

offensive screen names

30 comments in this topic

[JEEP]
Members
12 posts
25,980 battles

it's not alright to post offensive screenames I know if you rerfence km leader you can;t get the name but you allow offensive names against native americans , unless they have a tribal card block all refrences to native tribes just in a game with navahobrave as a screename and they're alot of others that use names that are offensive to real natives remove their accounts or make them change names it's an embarrisment to wg to let this happen 

\

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
  • Boring 4
  • Meh 15

[CK5]
Members
1,524 posts
16,305 battles

Would a Navajo tribal member be allowed to use Navahobrave as a user name?  

• Cool 1

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
3,919 posts

why is it only offensive if the person doesn't have a "card"  

if you see offensive names and can provide justification then report them...   

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
9,663 posts
25,144 battles
27 minutes ago, spiritslay said:

it's not alright to post offensive screenames I know if you rerfence km leader you can;t get the name but you allow offensive names against native americans , unless they have a tribal card block all refrences to native tribes just in a game with navahobrave as a screename and they're alot of others that use names that are offensive to real natives remove their accounts or make them change names it's an embarrisment to wg to let this happen 

So now you are taking offense for other people? How do you know what others find offensive? Sounds like privilege to me, maybe you should check it. 

• Cool 5

[VORTX]
Members
584 posts
7,678 battles

And here I thought this was going to be about players sneaking c0ck_and_baIIs and d1ck_slay3r into their names. 🤣 

I sort of agree with you? There absolutely shouldn’t be any racists terms in players names, but there is a lot of gray in there for what is offensive to one person and not another, also considering these are players  potentially from around the world. Different words for different folks and such. 

Is there even an easy way to report an offensive name? 

• Haha 1

[SALVO]
Members
6,954 posts
5,510 battles

You can report IGNs that you find offensive, is quite easy. I've done it some times, kids being kids like to have their fun using very out of line spanish/portuguese slang that is quite easy to get overlooked by the mods.

[COOP2]
Alpha Tester
361 posts
34 minutes ago, PrairiePlayer said:

Would a Navajo tribal member be allowed to use Navahobrave as a user name?  

I'm sure the OP would say that's racist.

[A-I-M]
Members
3,855 posts
14,863 battles
40 minutes ago, spiritslay said:

\

For someone who is offended by language, your post is an ironic offense to language.

• Funny 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 4

[COOP2]
Alpha Tester
361 posts
16 minutes ago, Taylor3006 said:

So now you are taking offense for other people? How do you know what others find offensive? Sounds like privilege to me, maybe you should check it. 

I found a picture of the OP (and other SJWs):

Daenyrus.png

• Cool 1
  • Haha 3
  • Meh 1

[PVE]
Members
10,914 posts
18,892 battles

I think OP that you are being over sensitive. Words are just words and it is you yourself, that puts the power behind them.

• Cool 3
  • Meh 1

[P-V-E]
Members
1,649 posts

but what about all the things in the world have native American tribal names

Apache, Black Hawk, Iroquois  Kiowa, Lakota, Comanche helicopters, Navajo aircraft

or ships like the Powhatan class of fleet ocean tugs (Powhatan, Narragansett, Catawba, Navajo, Mohawk, Sioux, Apache) or the USNS Saginaw Ojibwe Anishinabek

• Cool 1

[SCREW]
Members
57 posts
13,041 battles

well known WW2 warcriminals are quite often used ... wargaming doesnt care ... they reset the name ... why u ask wouldnt they pay more attention and would prefent ppl in creating those names in the first place u ask? ... cause otherwise wargaming coudlnt charge ppl 8000 gold for a new name

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
9,663 posts
25,144 battles

You know, there are people who use almost universally offensive words in their names in online games. I think we can agree there are some people who just like doing stuff like that and they need to be dealt with. Finding offense in names where none is intended or virtue signaling on behalf of other peoples is just stupid. When people do this, they are literally treating the "marginalized/oppressed" as children who can not take care of themselves and require protection. That is offensive by anyone's metric. It is a disgusting habit of people nowadays and human beings as a group, need call it out for what it is. 

Notice the OP did not mention that he chatted with the person to find out if maybe he was someone who because of history or culture, is entitled to actually use the "offensive" word. Instead he appeals to the mob for "justice" for this transgression. It is petty, it is repugnant, and I find real offense that we allow these pathetic individuals to dictate what others can say.

As a human being with a soul, I find the word "sprit" in the OPs name to be offensive since it is an important word for my culture. I find the word "slay" offensive since it triggers the family of victims of homicide. We can play this silly little  game all day long if the OP wants to. 

Edited by Taylor3006
  • Cool 5
  • Thanks 4

[PVE]
Alpha Tester
639 posts
16,921 battles
1 hour ago, spiritslay said:

\

Your name is offensive to me for "spirit", wg should make you change it.

• Cool 1

[NFJF]
Members
707 posts
10,918 battles
37 minutes ago, Taylor3006 said:

You know, there are people who use almost universally offensive words in their names in online games. I think we can agree there are some people who just like doing stuff like that and they need to be dealt with. Finding offense in names where none is intended or virtue signaling on behalf of other peoples is just stupid. When people do this, they are literally treating the "marginalized/oppressed" as children who can not take care of themselves and require protection. That is offensive by anyone's metric. It is a disgusting habit of people nowadays and human beings as a group, need call it out for what it is. 

Notice the OP did not mention that he chatted with the person to find out if maybe he was someone who because of history or culture, is entitled to actually use the "offensive" word. Instead he appeals to the mob for "justice" for this transgression. It is petty, it is repugnant, and I find real offense that we allow these pathetic individuals to dictate what others can say.

As a human being with a soul, I find the word "sprit" in the OPs name to be offensive since it is an important word for my culture. I find the word "slay" offensive since it triggers the family of victims of homicide. We can play this silly little  game all day long if the OP wants to. 

Frankly, I'm just tired of all these little snowflakes being offended by everything. It was nice and peaceful for a few years. Now though since they have their daddy Biden in charge, I guess they feel emboldened again. I'm a young guy, but I was raised by boomers and I learned the reality that in the real world nobody cares about your "feelings." I'm quite embarrassed to be a millennial TBH. Most people my age need to learn how to grow thicker skin and deal with stuff they don't like.

Edited by admiralsexybeast
  • Cool 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Meh 6

[VOP]
Members
955 posts
1 hour ago, spiritslay said:

\

I don't see how Navahobrave would be offensive.

Navaho - Native American

brave
/brāv/
adjective
ready to face and endure danger or pain; showing courage.
noun DATED
a North American Indian warrior.
verb
endure or face (unpleasant conditions or behavior) without showing fear.

So, a Navaho brave is a warrior using a dated term. But, considering the other definitions of brave, I always construed Native American "braves" to be courageous. So, to me the name Navahobrave means a courageous Navaho warrior, a compliment in my eyes.

• Cool 4

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
3,919 posts

i have no issue with ppl getting offended. there are mechanisms to deal with it in place, it doesn't need to turn into a discussion about what each of you does or doesn't find offensive.  this crap doesn't need any more screen time.. it just fuels the fire...

hope i didn't offend, but if i did... you know what to do...

• Meh 1

[SALVO]
Members
6,954 posts
5,510 battles
2 minutes ago, SKurj said:

i have no issue with ppl getting offended. there are mechanisms to deal with it in place, it doesn't need to turn into a discussion about what each of you does or doesn't find offensive.  this crap doesn't need any more screen time.. it just fuels the fire...

hope i didn't offend, but if i did... you know what to do...

on that note, this would be a good time to close this thread before the flames are fanned, there's already gasoline spilled on the floor...

[SIM]
Members
5,787 posts
9,263 battles

Adulthood and the real world are going to be serious obstacles for you. 

• Thanks 3

Members
7,360 posts
17,400 battles

I was going to rename to vikingwarrior, but I don't want to be offensive to Scandinavians and their descendants. My family doesn't even live in Minnesota anymore, so I wouldn't be able to produce a card if asked for it and I don't want to get banned, so I guess I won't. 

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
6,954 posts
5,510 battles
3 minutes ago, DuckyShot said:

I was going to rename to vikingwarrior, but I don't want to be offensive to Scandinavians and their descendants. My family doesn't even live in Minnesota anymore, so I wouldn't be able to produce a card if asked for it and I don't want to get banned, so I guess I won't. 

Your name is offensive to ducks, as living things they have rights...

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[5D8]
Members
193 posts
20,463 battles

I just ignore stupid names. More people should give it a try instead of getting their panties in a bunch.

• Cool 1

[RBMK]
Members
2,203 posts
34,938 battles
2 hours ago, spiritslay said:

\

I know my screen name is offensive to plumbers because I'm denigrating something that is quite useful and no doubt dear to their trade. So I've thought about it and....

I don't care.

Have a nice day.

Members
1,559 posts
10,681 battles
1 hour ago, admiralsexybeast said:

Frankly, I'm just tired of all these little snowflakes being offended by everything. It was nice and peaceful for a few years. Now though since they have their daddy Biden in charge, I guess they feel emboldened again. I'm a young guy, but I was raised by boomers and I learned the reality that in the real world nobody cares about your "feelings." I'm quite embarrassed to be a millennial TBH. Most people my age need to learn how to grow thicker skin and deal with stuff they don't like.

It has nothing to do with Biden. That road has gone both ways for years. Both sides of the argument need to grow a thicker skin *and* maybe care just one iota about anything other than themselves. This entire post is just an excuse justifying the childish back and forth that's been going on outside of the game for decades.

• Funny 1
  • Thanks 1