You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
tm63au

The Tale Of Two Ships

8 comments in this topic

[K-POP]
Members
3,069 posts
24,588 battles

It amazes me how WG can create 2 ships from the same nation that are just 1 Tier deference but can be worlds apart.

When the Russian Cruiser split was announced a sickness took over and decided to grind through the line to get Moskva, i am still asking myself why I did it.

However  i was pleasantly surprised when I got to Shchors and Chappy I actually enjoyed them, I am still in a state of shock about it.

DM Donskoi

And then there is The Don, this ship is UTTER TRASH, its so painful to grind through even with IFHE its horrendous to play.

The first time round I painstakingly scrapped through to get to Moskva, that was a relief.

So after moving my fairly well trained Captain to Moskva, The Dom had been languishing in her berth rusting.

Anyway after the Russian split line came out live and we weren't given Nevsky and had to regrind The Dom, the Russian cruiser line was mothballed.

Then in late 2020 I had another moment of madness and thought " Oh hell " Ill just throw on one of many reserve Captains on the ship and casually grind the thing coop and get the Nevsky and finish the line off once and for all.

Realising that would take 5 years i started mixing it up and playing randoms that was a mistake.

I don't know what ammunition WG gave The Dom but even with IFHE on, the AP cant even punch through a wet sheet of paper, punching through steel armour just aint going to happen.

I am just under half way through the grind to get to Tier 10.

Petropavlovsk

And now we come to the tail of the other ship.

The Petro, this ship has to go down along with Kremlin and Slava as the biggest TROLL ships WG has produced.

Its a joke played on the community.

Played 2 random games in The Dom, one had Petro in it which seemed to be able hit me and any other ships in this particular match with pin point accuracy parked on the moon.

While my shells when I managed to hit the Petro didn't even scratch the paint work. 

These are only 1 tier difference it does not make sense the disparity between them.

Anyway we were leading in both matches and were on track to win but as usual there was a collapse in both games and we ended up getting steam rolled as is the norm in high Tier matches.

So once again the Russian cruiser line combined with lopsided high Tier matches has crushed all enthusiasm to A. finish the line and B. play any matches above tier 7.

Unless its absolutely necessary to use high Tier for events which I will doing in Coop, its back down to the mid Tiers.          

[TDR]
[TDR]
Members
1,109 posts
11,803 battles

Well I think yes they are a tale of 2 ships because they are different tiers, in different lines, with different play styles. Playing the donkey like a petro in almost any situation will end very badly. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t think donkey is a great ship but she’s not horrible. I played her twice in a row for moskva and then Nevsky and imho the most success I had in her was to kite and spam he with situational at best use of ap. Best of luck captain

Edited by ditka_Fatdog
  • Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
23,385 posts
17,319 battles
20 minutes ago, tm63au said:

don't know what ammunition WG gave The Dom but even with IFHE on, the AP cant even punch through a wet sheet of paper, punching through steel armour just aint going to happen.

If you're expecting IFHE to help the Armour Piercing ammo performance, I have some disappointing news for you.

I did like you did, grinding the Moskva like mad to get her as a premium, and while I liked the Donskoi (she's one of the ships I have a Kraken in), I didn't like her enough to put on the grinding pants and get the Nevsky ASAP.  Ditka's right about how to play her; burn stuff down and take situational broadside shots when offered.

• Cool 1

Members
1,913 posts
27,771 battles

I found (and still find) the old Donkey rather enjoyable to play. I don't use IFHE because I don't believe in asking some ammo to do what other ammo can do, while hobbling the ammo I'm repurposing from doing what it's meant to do. I kite (alot) and have all steering modules for maximum maneuver. It's not a good 'tip of the spear' boat, but I'm never sorry I'm in it when I'm in it.

• Cool 1

[KWF]
Members
5,792 posts
7,007 battles

The thing with Donskoi is that it suffers the same way most tier IX cruisers suffer. It shines when kiting on a falling flank, to a lesser extent than Roon, still alot, and can't be aggressive that often.  I found the ship to be ok, but nothing to go crazy over. At least it offers a logical progression in playstyle along the CL line, so there's that.

Edited by warheart1992
  • Cool 1

[ARS]
Beta Testers
5,760 posts
6,009 battles

I ground through the Russian line so that I'd get Moskova as a Special Ship for free.  I then redid the grind in Dimitri Donskoi to get the Alexander Nevsky.  Due to doing two grinds for Tier X in it I have more matches played in Dimitri Donskoi than any tech tree ship other than Yamato, in which I have two more battles.  In the 92 battles I did in Donskoi I got a 58% win rate, markedly higher than my 52-53% overall win rate.  I didn't want Nevsky that much and if I had found Donskoi to be painful to play, like Lion for example, I would not have bothered.

Dimitri Donskoi is a fine ship for Tier IX. 

• Cool 1

[SGSS]
Members
5,758 posts
5 hours ago, theLaalaa said:

I found (and still find) the old Donkey rather enjoyable to play. I don't use IFHE because I don't believe in asking some ammo to do what other ammo can do, while hobbling the ammo I'm repurposing from doing what it's meant to do. I kite (alot) and have all steering modules for maximum maneuver. It's not a good 'tip of the spear' boat, but I'm never sorry I'm in it when I'm in it.

Easiest grind I ever had was in Don.

5 krakens in 1 night

• Cool 1

[CANUK]
Members
90 posts
5,351 battles

Just like Helstrem I ground through Donskoi twice, and I plan on doing it again (since I reset the line). All of my play time is pre dead eye, but I figure a mostly long range HE spammer with high velocity guns won't suffer too much from the new meta. I did play her with IFHE, both because I still had it from the earlier 152 mm cruisers and didn't have enough elite commander xp to reset it, and later because I preferred to have reliable damage over situational fires. I quite enjoyed my time in her, since the HE spam was quite effective, and when you got people's broadsides the AP was great. The 12 km radar still feels slightly ridiculous with how much map it covers, and speaking as a DD it's always deeply annoying to face. In certain positions you can almost zone out two entire caps, and you know that with such high velocity guns the person playing the ship is going to nail you with at least several shells. Additionally, the heal, as with pretty much all T9 cruisers, feels like such an improvement over the T8 counterpart. I never actually played the Nevsky that much, but from what I vaguely remember, I think I actually preferred the Donskoi in certain aspects. For example, with Donskoi's greater number of guns but slower reload, you can more easily turn to shoot, then turn back out, while Nevsky has to have her guns pretty much always ready to fire if you want to take advantage of the fire rate. Donskoi is also one of those ships that really feels capable of late game impact, since the radar can bully DDs and RN CLs, while actually having torpedoes lets you threaten bigger ships if you can surprise them.

• Cool 1