Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Do_Doch_Nicht

Deck Poets Society Mistake?

43 comments in this topic

[FDS]
Members
200 posts
13,568 battles

Pertaining to the Valentines Contest to award the best Poet the Premium Ship of their choice, there appears to have been a terrible error.   All one can do as a neutral observer is point out the injustice by posting the content of the submitted poems.  One of these poems was the winner, the other was not. Which was better, Bourgogne or Missouri? Is it even close? What do you think? 

Bourgogne:

I was sailing over the North Atlantic Ocean...
I met Miss Bourgogne and her cannon in poor weather
First she took my steering and then she took my engine...
She said, "Be still, let me kiss you, you'll never have one wetter"

She took all my lovin...
and it hardly made impression
She took all my lovin...
and left me with this lesson

She swore that she loved me
and never would she leave me
But Neptune take that woman
Yeah ya know she tricked me easy!

Being wet and weary...
I knew not Bourgogne's nature
Moving always closer...
I never saw the danger

Priority Target Alerted...
and ever closer to my vessel
Her cannon locked upon me...
and she fired with all her barrels!

Mucho Rain... Rain a do... Rain a da
Whack for her Daddy-o
Whack for her Daddy-o
There's water in her kisses

Now some men like a fishin
and some men like the fowling
Some men like to hear...
hear the cannon ball roarin
Me, I liked seeing Miss Bourgogne at her finest
But here I am without her...
in the deep and darkest water

Mucho Rain... Rain a do... Rain a da
Miss Bourgogne made a fool of me
Miss Bourgogne made a fool of me
There's water in her kisses

Missouri:

You see all those ships available in the tech tree,
Yet tucked away, there you are, main batteries getting rusty.

You envy all those ships getting battle scars on their hulls,
While your own only keeps getting dirtied by those nasty seagulls.

You miss the sounds of those hard hits on the enemy citadels,
Those frantic moments that happen when rings the alarm bells.

You sigh, at the nostalgia of a busy bridge,
But, currently, nothing's happening, not even a smidge.

It's just a matter a time, don't be too preoccupied,
I promise, I will not let your hull get all oxidized.

Maybe one day, i'll be able to coast beside your waterline,
But it seems for now, I can only watch you from the sideline.

Hopefully, you'll still be sitting right there at tier nine,
And when an enemy ship see us, we'll send shivers down it's spine.

Until then lovely Missouri,

Our story only gets even more legendary.

[WORX]
Members
12,640 posts
19,907 battles
33 minutes ago, Do_Doch_Nicht said:

Which was better, Bourgogne or Missouri?

Are you asking for a specific lvl of critique ???If so what level would like ???

I can tell you right now.... When it comes to literature, few of us know our mocking bird from a Capulet.

I am just trying to set your expectations to normal... If they're to high, expecting us to be "judges" or above...

I mean, it would not get pass an opinion lvl...

[ARGSY]
Members
23,419 posts
17,347 battles

I reckon they're about even.

If I were the ship to which they were addressed, I think I'd fire a full HE broadside at both poets. :Smile_trollface:

• Haha 1

Members
7,363 posts
17,418 battles

The Missouri is way better. The Bourgogne poem is just weird even though one might think it's more flowery, it's not. 

The Missouri poem has good cadence and rhyming and is easy to read. 

Not even close

• Cool 1
  • Haha 1

[SALVO]
Members
7,060 posts
5,529 battles

Bourgogne is "Whiskey in a Jar" repurposed. 

Missouri afaik looks like an original composition.

[KWF]
Members
5,806 posts
7,013 battles

The first one is more like a tavern song than a poem.

The Missouri one follows more traditional styles and could pass for an actual poem.

For anyone wondering by the way, the Missouri one was the one that won.

https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/sales-and-events/valentines-poem-contest/

Does the Bourgogne submission belong to the OP?

Edited by warheart1992

[WORX]
Members
12,640 posts
19,907 battles
33 minutes ago, warheart1992 said:

The first one is more like a tavern song than a poem.

Speaking a song... Could the first poem be plagiarized from a song??? Was that was the OP is alluding us too ?

Edited by Navalpride33

[SALVO]
Members
7,060 posts
5,529 battles
5 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

Speaking a song... Could the first poem be a plagiarized from a song??? Was that was the OP is alluding us too ?

[ARGSY]
Members
23,419 posts
17,347 battles
1 hour ago, DuckyShot said:

The Missouri is way better. The Bourgogne poem is just weird even though one might think it's more flowery, it's not. 

Not even close

You haven't read enough of what passes for poetry these days.

• Meh 1

[WORX]
Members
12,640 posts
19,907 battles
27 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

@KARMAT1KA

Can you enlighten us with the contest rules... Do plagiarizing a song count as a "poem" ??? 

These are serious allegations, only you can clear up... For the further integrity of the contest... As well as piece of mind to those who think this ^^^ was wrong and against the rules... 

[-Y-]
Members
843 posts
61 battles

I prefer the Missouri effort anyway, but the Bourgogne plagiarism of entire lines from a well known song kind of merits some sort of punishment

[ARGSY]
Members
23,419 posts
17,347 battles
13 minutes ago, DuckyShot said:

Kanye West > Walt Whitman? 

In the eyes of some, unfortunately yes. :Smile_sad:

[SALVO]
Members
7,060 posts
5,529 battles
29 minutes ago, WhereAreTheIndianCaptains? said:

the Bourgogne plagiarism of entire lines from a well known song kind of merits some sort of punishment

there's a fellow forumer well known for making "covers" of songs and movie scenes for comic relief and laughs. IF this was one of his efforts, it shouldn't be mistaken a lighthearted parody with vile plagiarism. 

[-Y-]
Members
843 posts
61 battles
6 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

there's a fellow forumer well known for making "covers" of songs and movie scenes for comic relief and laughs. IF this was one of his efforts, it shouldn't be mistaken a lighthearted parody with vile plagiarism. 

I don't think this is the same style, or the same author, or with the same intent.

[WG]
Administrator, Community Department, WG Staff
150 posts
982 battles
On 2/20/2021 at 8:42 AM, Navalpride33 said:

@KARMAT1KA

Can you enlighten us with the contest rules... Do plagiarizing a song count as a "poem" ??? 

These are serious allegations, only you can clear up... For the further integrity of the contest... As well as piece of mind to those who think this ^^^ was wrong and against the rules... 

I'm not sure I understand the question here. In case there is confusion from the OP, the Bourgogne submission he posted was not the winning entry. While I applaud everyone's efforts for participating in this contest, and there were a lot of really amazing submissions, we had an internal vote which deemed the winning entries the best for each platform. I believe that we did a great job at selecting the final winners, but we all must understand that something like this is subjective and not everyone will agree. 

Please don't be discouraged if you didn't win this time, there will always be another social media giveaway/contest in the future. 

To see all the winning entries:  https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/sales-and-events/valentines-poem-contest/

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead
15,792 posts
4,771 battles
On 2/20/2021 at 7:29 AM, DuckyShot said:

Not even close

I disagree.  'Bourgogne' is initially easier to read, though might be a little sing-song and I could improve on a couple of the phrases ("cannon ball roaring"?).  'Missouri' has some rather unfamiliar meters. I think it's got some cheat beats, too, and if the transcription is correct, there's at least one grammar error.  I'd have to spend some time with them before declaring one better than the other.

Okay, I have to give the nod to 'Missouri'.

Edited by iDuckman

[WORX]
Members
12,640 posts
19,907 battles
3 hours ago, KARMAT1KA said:

In case there is confusion from the OP, the Bourgogne submission he posted was not the winning entry.

The question was answered for the OP... IMO, Its not a poem contest but more of a remix/mush up San Valentine version  of a song contest...

So if this is allowed by the judges for contestants pick a song and rewrite the words...  Then

@Do_Doch_Nicht Its allowed according to the head event staff herself.

There is your answer..

Members
682 posts
220 battles

On 2/21/2021 at 3:03 AM, Navalpride33 said:

Speaking a song... Could the first poem be plagiarized from a song??? Was that was the OP is alluding us too ?

I wanted to copy 'The German guns' and call it something like The Texas guns.  I didn't bother as I suspected plagurism wasn't in the spirit of the contest

On a +ve.  Looking at the winners, at least these poems were about ships.... :Smile_medal:     Unlike that Victory at Sea story contest.   

I asked several questions to the admins about that contest,  like what are the chances of all 3 winners being CC's?  

and

If it was a Victory at Sea contest, why was one of the winning stories about a Woman in a House answering the door to a Soldier, while her husband sat in a Taxi?!?!?!?!     :Smile_izmena:

Funny enough, I never got any answers because no correspondence was to be answered, and the judge's decision was final. :Smile_sceptic:

[WORX]
Members
12,640 posts
19,907 battles
3 minutes ago, Laser_Beam said:

On a +ve.  Looking at the winners, at least these poems were about ships.... :Smile_medal:     Unlike that Victory at Sea story contest.   

I asked several questions to the admins about that contest,  like what are the chances of all 3 winners being CC's?  

and

If it was a Victory at Sea contest, why was one of the winning stories about a Woman in a House answering the door to a Soldier, while her husband sat in a Taxi?!?!?!?!     :Smile_izmena:

Funny enough, I never got any answers because no correspondence was to be answered, and the judge's decision was final. 

If you have questions about the poem event... PM @KARMAT1KA
She can give you the clarification/answers to your question regarding the event...

Members
682 posts
220 battles
8 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

If you have questions about the poem event... PM @KARMAT1KA
She can give you the clarification/answers to your question regarding the event...

Thanks but nanh.  Having to post on social media to enter a contest is reason enough not to enter.  In addition, I fundamentally believe WG contests are rigged, biased and unfair. Another reason not to enter.

Other examples include "design a ship camo" where we had a ship outline to 'camo in'.  The winner on that painted the whole thing black.  Or the design a Wows movie poster failure.  The list is too long, and goes back too many years.  I'm amazed I still give a crap.  

• Meh 1

[PVE]
Members
7,896 posts
23,881 battles
On 2/20/2021 at 6:42 AM, Navalpride33 said:

@KARMAT1KA

10 hours ago, Navalpride33 said:

The question was answered for the OP... IMO, Its not a poem contest but more of a remix/mush up San Valentine version  of a song contest...

So if this is allowed by the judges for contestants pick a song and rewrite the words...  Then

@Do_Doch_Nicht Its allowed according to the head event staff herself.

There is your answer..

But...did you miss the 1st line of her response to you?

13 hours ago, KARMAT1KA said:

I'm not sure I understand the question here.

Your question of whether plagiarism of song lyrics was allowed went right over her head...all she did was clarify that the Bourgogne poem wasn't 1 of the winners.

KARMAK1TA...to clarify the question...the Bourgnone entry was a parody of song lyrics...

On 2/20/2021 at 6:09 AM, ArIskandir said:

(Specifically that song)

The question (moot point for this competition as the winners have already been chosen ..but as a clarification for potential future contests) is whether parodying song lyrics is permitted or does it disqualify you from the contest?

[WORX]
Members
12,640 posts
19,907 battles
3 hours ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

Specifically that song)

The question (moot point for this competition as the winners have already been chosen ..but as a clarification for potential future contests) is whether parodying song lyrics is permitted or does it disqualify you from the contest?

This^...

TY for cleaning it up...

I was going by what the OP was describing in his Thread...

Was parodying song lyrics permitted constituted as a poem OR not??Does it disqualify you from the contest?

I think that was the concern of the OP as I understood it. The Boug was not one if the winners but I think it was not the only one to parody a song to pass as a poem.( I am thinking the OP just picked that one out as an example).

Lets not kid ourselves here... If It was me, with my infinite knowledge of music from around the world, (I am not a fan of Kpop or Jpop but I know they coexist). I, would rearrange a song lyric and pass it as a poem...

It would be gaming the system...in his turn, draw the disagreement of the OP...

Hope this clears it up..

Edited by Navalpride33

[-Y-]
Members
843 posts
61 battles
52 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

This^...

TY for cleaning it up...

I was going by what the OP was describing in his Thread...

Was parodying song lyrics permitted constituted as a poem OR not??Does it disqualify you from the contest?

I think that was the concern of the OP as I understood it. The Boug was not one if the winners but I think it was not the only one to parody a song to pass as a poem.( I am thinking the OP just picked that one out as an example).

Lets not kid ourselves here... If It was me, with my infinite knowledge of music from around the world, (I am not a fan of Kpop or Jpop but I know they coexist). I, would rearrange a song lyric and pass it as a poem...

It would be gaming the system...in his turn, draw the disagreement of the OP...

Hope this clears it up..

I think parody is fine, if the source of parody is clearly identifiable. But parody is NOT copy/pasting entire lines of verse, and then publishing without crediting the author(s) for their composition, this is not parody, but plagiat by the most elementary of definitions. Parody mimics style and makes it easy to identify the authors (without having to use google), not word for word copy pasting. 

But WG has always had a very low moral threshold on the most basic concepts of decent and respectful behaviour, whether as regards game balance, gambling, copyright, fairplay or other issues, so it would not surprise me if the above distinction is too fine for their sense of judgement.

Edited by WhereAreTheIndianCaptains?
  • Meh 1

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
2,555 posts

Poetry is a mindless exercise in attempting to dispose of common writing and use of simple words just so.

I can reduce that thought further but don't want to demean the heavy lifting some people engage in hopes of getting a ship or something.

Sign in to follow this