Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Oldschool_Gaming_YT

Is "Heavy HE/SAP" and "IFHE" skills good combo?

8 comments in this topic

Members
755 posts
72 battles

On low caliber cruisers like Smolensk, Atlanta, Colbert and the other Atlanta clone (cant remember the name...)? I mean they should synergize somewhat, right? Better pen and higher alpha? That said you kill of your fire chance a whole lot.

Or is it more viable to just go for Heavy HE/SAP and maybe Pyrotech to build for more fires?

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers
3,377 posts
10,227 battles

IFHE on Smolensk and Colbert does very little for them at tier 10 games.

Heavy HE is simply a damage buff with no penalties unlike the larger caliber cruiser guns.

So more HE damage with increased fire chance is a sound build for rapid firing low caliber gun cruisers.

• Cool 1

Members
755 posts
72 battles
17 minutes ago, Vader_Sama said:

IFHE on Smolensk and Colbert does very little for them at tier 10 games.

Heavy HE is simply a damage buff with no penalties unlike the larger caliber cruiser guns.

So more HE damage with increased fire chance is a sound build for rapid firing low caliber gun cruisers.

Sweet, will probably go with that. What is your take on the IJN gunboat DDs? The sam? No IFHE and instead build for fires.

[WOLF5]
Members
1,361 posts
10,472 battles
16 minutes ago, Oldschool_Gaming_YT said:

Sweet, will probably go with that. What is your take on the IJN gunboat DDs? The sam? No IFHE and instead build for fires.

General consensus is to take IFHE on 100 mm main battery-equipped IJN DD gunboats as this allows you to then penetrate 32 mm armor with HE.....

Please refer to this posting by LWM who is the really expert on selection of IFHE

Edited by DJC_499
  • Cool 1

[WOLFC]
Members
2,548 posts
11,027 battles
6 hours ago, Oldschool_Gaming_YT said:

The IJN 100mm has the same HE penetration as the 152mm guns found on CLs at that tier - 30mm. This means the only reason to take the skill is to pen the hulls of tier VIII+ battleships. I would apply the same reasoning to these ships that you do to your CLs when deciding whether or not to take IFHE. In general, at tier VIII it’s a toss-up because you will see a lot of tier VI and VII BBs, and as you move up the tiers IFHE becomes more valuable.

Edited by Nevermore135
  • Cool 1

[ALL41]
Beta Testers
2,407 posts
10,647 battles
6 hours ago, Oldschool_Gaming_YT said:

On low caliber cruisers like Smolensk, Atlanta, Colbert and the other Atlanta clone (cant remember the name...)? I mean they should synergize somewhat, right? Better pen and higher alpha? That said you kill of your fire chance a whole lot.

Or is it more viable to just go for Heavy HE/SAP and maybe Pyrotech to build for more fires?

Fire starting is really a function of number of shells per second. The % rate is irrelevant when it comes to practical application.

It was already tested that smolensk with IFHE still started triple fires on ships just as fast as without IFHE. 

Therefore, putting it on a smolensk or colbert would up your damage. An Atlanta on the other hand don't because it just does not have the number of barrels to roll the dice a hundred or times in a few seconds. 

[SCK]
Members
171 posts
23,271 battles
1 hour ago, Skyfaller said:

Fire starting is really a function of number of shells per second. The % rate is irrelevant when it comes to practical application.

It was already tested that smolensk with IFHE still started triple fires on ships just as fast as without IFHE. 

Therefore, putting it on a smolensk or colbert would up your damage. An Atlanta on the other hand don't because it just does not have the number of barrels to roll the dice a hundred or times in a few seconds. 

In my personal experience, I didn't find this to be true. We had a mission one time to get 20 fires or something like that and I took IFHE off the Smol to achieve this. I would typically see 8 - 12 fires a match with IFHE and I did 32 fires without it. 

• Cool 1

[WOLF9]
Members
455 posts

I tried both ways on my smoly with &  without IFHE.  You do get more fires without IFHE.   The extra damage from your improved pen using IFHE isn't enough to offset the fire damage you do not running it. (and you have extra capt points to squander elsewhere!)

Sign in to follow this