You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Lord_Argus

Ranked Toxic I Got Chewed Out For Bringing In a Cleveland :(

36 comments in this topic

[SOBA6]
Members
281 posts

I woke up today and decided I needed a bit more xp on my Cleveland for a line I been grinding and you get that bonus for first game won. I decided why not take it into Ranked and get some rewards while I level. Apparently people tend to get mad about bringing in a Tier 8 instead of maybe a premium or rare ship. Guy griped for 2 minutes about how we already lost cause someone brought a Cleveland. All you can do is play your best :P

But yes the Cleveland is honestly a bit weak let's not kid ourselves. The range is not great and although it fires fast, it doesn't hit all that hard. You can still do ok in her if you use the ambush tactic which is how I play it. I sit and wait for an enemy ship to fire it's guns on someone else and then I slip out from behind an island and begin wailing on them. I can usually get off several volleys before they fixate on me and by that time I'm slipping back behind the rock/island again. They hate on you so hard lol

Cleveland.jpg

Cleveland2.jpg

Cleveland3.jpg

• Cool 3
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 4

[WKY04]
Members
3,880 posts
24,924 battles

Toxicity in Ranked? What is this you speak of?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

[FORM]
Members
310 posts
2,194 battles
4 minutes ago, Lord_Argus said:

I woke up today and decided I needed a bit more xp on my Cleveland for a line I been grinding and you get that bonus for first game won.

The Cleve is a fine ship. Great fire starter and as good an AA ship as any at her tier. Solid radar, good for helping DDs at caps... Of course, you aren't always going get a CV, but hey, if that guy's such an expert he should be able to carry ya, right? ;)

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
27,934 posts
14,885 battles

Toxicity in Ranked. I am shocked, shocked I tell you.

• Funny 1
  • Haha 2
  • Boring 1

[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,843 posts
4,285 battles

You are putting yourself at a disadvantage bringing a T8 to Ranked, you're going to be bottom tier. But Cleveland is a perfectly fine ship and I'd much rather have a competent player in a T8 than someone who just bought himself a premium T9 to try out Ranked. Are you the sole cause of the team losing? If you are it's not because of the Cleveland. Could you bring a better option to help the team win? Probably. Is it worth getting salty about? No, not really. My opinion is that if you play Ranked you should play to win, Ranked is not the place to do your random grinding or try out new ships. So you take the ship that gives you the best chance to win.

That said, if you know how to play that cleveland I'm not going to complain (also I think I'd rather take cleveland than seattle). You take a Kansas I'm going to be a bit more worried, but in the end the chances are our winning or losing probably isn't coming down to what ship you brought. Performance talks, if you feel you can do best in a Cleveland then that's what you should bring.

Also you should know that A) you're going to get salt in Ranked regardless, and B) usually it's the loudest guy in chat who knows the least about what's going on.

• Cool 3
  • Funny 1

[BUOY]
Members
1,218 posts
16,267 battles

Cleveland is stronger than the Seattle when played correctly and is arguably the strongest T8 cruiser you could bring into ranked as you demonstrated. You also get matched up exactly by tier so it's not like the red team gets an AK / Kronk or etc.

So far ranked hasn't been that toxic aside from one game where all three of our BB's were worthless deadeye snipers who all got taken out (or near enough to be focused down easily) by a red Asashio since they congregated in one square.

Edited by lloyd1701

Members
1,542 posts

Coming from Co-Op to Ranked was an eye opener. 

I brought my Tirpitz and won handily my first time in.

Next battle I brought in my Georgia Lost so hard it hurt.

Needless to say to stopped going into Ranked.

• Haha 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
27,934 posts
14,885 battles
20 minutes ago, AJTP89 said:

You are putting yourself at a disadvantage bringing a T8 to Ranked, you're going to be bottom tier. But Cleveland is a perfectly fine ship and I'd much rather have a competent player in a T8 than someone who just bought himself a premium T9 to try out Ranked. Are you the sole cause of the team losing? If you are it's not because of the Cleveland. Could you bring a better option to help the team win? Probably. Is it worth getting salty about? No, not really. My opinion is that if you play Ranked you should play to win, Ranked is not the place to do your random grinding or try out new ships. So you take the ship that gives you the best chance to win.

That said, if you know how to play that cleveland I'm not going to complain (also I think I'd rather take cleveland than seattle). You take a Kansas I'm going to be a bit more worried, but in the end the chances are our winning or losing probably isn't coming down to what ship you brought. Performance talks, if you feel you can do best in a Cleveland then that's what you should bring.

Also you should know that A) you're going to get salt in Ranked regardless, and B) usually it's the loudest guy in chat who knows the least about what's going on.

Bottom tier in a two tier match really isn't a handicap and the OP not only survived, he won and topped the team.

• Cool 2

[PVE]
Members
7,905 posts
23,881 battles

Wow... there's a lot of people browsing this thread (a lot of the usual forum regulars I see).

I don't get the problem...if the red team gets a mirrored T8 if you've nerfed your team you've nerfed theirs too..& by the exact same amount (all same tier ships theoretucally being equal anyway)...so what's the big deal?

& you brought a radar cruiser to boot...

Too bad it would be naming & shaming to tell us how far down the XP list the guy that declared the loss was (now that you've showed all the other players anyway).

[WOLFC]
Members
2,585 posts
11,084 battles
51 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

Bottom tier in a two tier match really isn't a handicap and the OP not only survived, he won and topped the team.

Matchmaking is mirrored as well.

23 minutes ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

I don't get the problem...if the red team gets a mirrored T8 if you've nerfed your team you've nerfed theirs too..& by the exact same amount (all same tier ships theoretucally being equal anyway)...so what's the big deal?

Yup. Everyone forgets that taking a lower tier ship puts one on the other team as well. If you can play your tier VIII well, it’s much more valuable than a tier IX ship.

[SOLOH]
[SOLOH]
Beta Testers
4,294 posts

Just tell them to fornicate themselves

• Cool 1

[SHOOT]
[SHOOT]
Beta Testers
4,207 posts
12,777 battles
1 hour ago, Lord_Argus said:

Cleveland is honestly a bit weak let's not kid ourselves. 

Cleveland has the same range as Seattle and exponentially better firing arcs. The only thing better Seattle has isn't radar; its her heal. T9 cruisers aren't really upgrades to their t8 counterparts. Cleveland was a fine choice.

[RLGN]
Members
15,674 posts
27,410 battles
1 hour ago, BrushWolf said:

Toxicity in Ranked. I am shocked, shocked I tell you.

Had to do it...

• Funny 2
  • Haha 1

Members
31 posts

I played in a ranked battle earlier in Bronze league where I killed 2 enemy ships, and did 111k damage.  And got reported by at least two people for playing badly because my karma went down by that amount.  I was the only person who actually killed anything on my team, didn't speak in the match, and didn't camp.  

Don't feel badly for bringing in any ship you choose to play in.  A lot of the player base have no clue what is going on, what they should be doing, and think you're doing something wrong regardless.

[WPORT]
Members
8,142 posts
13,187 battles
2 hours ago, Lord_Argus said:

I woke up today and decided I needed a bit more xp on my Cleveland for a line I been grinding and you get that bonus for first game won. I decided why not take it into Ranked and get some rewards while I level. Apparently people tend to get mad about bringing in a Tier 8 instead of maybe a premium or rare ship. Guy griped for 2 minutes about how we already lost cause someone brought a Cleveland. All you can do is play your best :P

But yes the Cleveland is honestly a bit weak let's not kid ourselves. The range is not great and although it fires fast, it doesn't hit all that hard. You can still do ok in her if you use the ambush tactic which is how I play it. I sit and wait for an enemy ship to fire it's guns on someone else and then I slip out from behind an island and begin wailing on them. I can usually get off several volleys before they fixate on me and by that time I'm slipping back behind the rock/island again. They hate on you so hard lol

Cleveland.jpg

Cleveland2.jpg

Cleveland3.jpg

Spoiler

Congratulations.
Play what you want, when you want.
The *armchair admirals* can ponder whether they want a medal or a chest to pin it on, eh?

[WOLF4]
[WOLF4]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
934 posts
14,300 battles

Nice game. 

Want to have fun the next something like that happens. Message whoever it was that was causing  grief (which is really stupid seeing as there was three tier 8's) and you have a game like that or similar and the them "you're welcome for carrying your [edited]". Sort of stooping to their level, but just might get lucky and they might just lose the attitude for the next person.

[CRUEL]
Members
529 posts
9,427 battles
2 hours ago, AJTP89 said:

You bring in an 8 and you bring a red 8 in as well. Could you bring in a ship with a heal...sure but at least it has radar. That is always a plus.

• Thanks 2

[WOLF1]
Members
122 posts
5,978 battles
3 hours ago, Lord_Argus said:

Guy griped for 2 minutes about how we already lost cause someone brought a Cleveland.

I would have PM'd him after the match. Something about an aching back because you carried his [edited]in that so called terrible ship.

[RBMK]
Members
2,204 posts
35,045 battles
3 hours ago, Lord_Argus said:

Cleveland.jpg

Cleveland2.jpg

Cleveland3.jpg

1 hour ago, Triela50 said:

Just tell them to fornicate themselves

What he said....and the horse they rode in on.

• Cool 1

[SCK]
Members
172 posts
23,411 battles
47 minutes ago, Darmokattenagra said:

You bring in an 8 and you bring a red 8 in as well. Could you bring in a ship with a heal...sure but at least it has radar. That is always a plus.

Exactly! Who cares if you are bottom tier. If you are better than their T8, then you already gave your team an advantage. Sometimes I disable chat, except for the hotkeys. The toxic whine gets on my nerves. 

[FERAL]
Members
95 posts
6,743 battles

The Massachusetts can bring in 400,000+ credits if I am able to get about about 90+k damage (maybe a bit more) with just the zulu flag and win. Ranked can earn some coins as a free-to-play player. Been playing that pretty much every battle trying to knock out the weekend token missions.