You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Willawaw

Cookie consent banner??

28 comments in this topic

[BINGO]
Members
145 posts
9,199 battles

This banner cannot be removed without consenting to cookies.  Sorry WG I gave you money for years and now you demand my cookies!  Sorry they are my cookies and if you can't play nicely you don't get them.  

Edited by Willawaw
  • Cool 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

[VAST_]
Members
164 posts
5,427 battles

I second that emotion. It's like they added insult to injury.

-Still a player, no longer a payer

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
13,192 posts
4 minutes ago, Willawaw said:

This banner cannot be removed without consenting to cookies.  Sorry WG I gave you money for years and now you want my cookies!  Sorry they are my cookies and if you can't play nicely you don't get them.  

I do believe there is software you can d/l which will block/prevent cookies. I stopped visiting using my mobile phone simply because I don't need them as much as they need me. I visit with my PC which is all blocked up. 

Cookies aren't new... they were doing it long before they prompted you about them. New laws and such require your permission now; before it was just nice of them to ask first, not mandatory. Now it's mandatory, if I read EU laws regarding such things correctly. 

Edited by Herr_Reitz

[UNHLY]
Members
4,858 posts
13,528 battles
43 minutes ago, Willawaw said:

This banner cannot be removed without consenting to cookies.  Sorry WG I gave you money for years and now you demand my cookies!  Sorry they are my cookies and if you can't play nicely you don't get them.  

Cookies?

Spoiler

14A43D77-6448-472B-A536-614E9EC0C5B5.gif.925c42efe3050bb5c870ee3e3ef430ca.gif

• Cool 1
  • Haha 1

SuperTest Coordinator, Beta Testers
6,819 posts
12,666 battles

You can manually set your cookies preferences at the bottom of the page. I have everything disabled except for the Strictly Necessary Cookies, which is so the forum knows I am logged in.

image.thumb.png.6a5020809964dc0079f50257e6a0392b.png

[PVE]
Members
13,441 posts
28,236 battles
6 minutes ago, Compassghost said:

You can manually set your cookies preferences at the bottom of the page. I have everything disabled except for the Strictly Necessary Cookies, which is so the forum knows I am logged in.

This ^^^

Click cookie settings and then scroll down making sure only the absolute bare minimum is enabled and hit save.

No way I am authorizing WG to use/sell my info for advertising and such.

[BEARS]
[BEARS]
Beta Testers
305 posts
8,936 battles

I have given access to the functional cookies, but the damn banner keeps popping up every time I visit the page.  I am using MicroSoft Edge as my browser and I had similar issues with the drop down every time I tried to place a code.

Just a pita.

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Banned
16,985 posts
6 minutes ago, Compassghost said:

Take a long look at those "strictly necessary cookies". 

Some of them are not strictly necessary, or even marginally necessary.  They're just more tracking garbage that WG is sneaking in. 

I recommend using Privacy Badger and NoScript addons for your browser -- ironically, they'll block the CookieLaw server that is running that banner and caused it to pop up. 

6,819 posts
12,666 battles
2 minutes ago, KilljoyCutter said:

Take a long look at those "strictly necessary cookies". 

Some of them are not strictly necessary, or even marginally necessary.  They're just more tracking garbage that WG is sneaking in. 

I recommend using Privacy Badger and NoScript addons for your browser -- ironically, they'll block the CookieLaw server that is running that banner and caused it to pop up. 

I already run script blockers. You can view exactly what the "strictly necessary cookies" are in devtools.

All are related to login, security, or CM.

image.thumb.png.de7cc9ae286069fc9bd9e125d67feffd.png

If you really want to fine-tune it you can start culling from this minimal list. I would recommend not bashing any csrf tokens though.

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Banned
16,985 posts

When it first started coming up, before I killed the nag-banner, the "strictly necessary" cookies included stuff for third-party providers with extensions like ".tv". 

6,819 posts
12,666 battles

I don't see any evidence of that on my end. Maybe I have strict cookie lockdowns, but the only cookie and cache storage I have are directly from the forums and the cm. I can cook up a VM to see what I get.

[RLGN]
Members
15,692 posts
27,458 battles

What hacks me off about more than anything else...

’HOW MANY DAMN TIMES DO I NEED TO ALLOW/CONFIRM YOUR COOKIES!?! ONCE SHOULD BE ENOUGH!!!’

• Cool 2

Members
1,552 posts
20 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

’HOW MANY DAMN TIMES DO I NEED TO ALLOW/CONFIRM YOUR COOKIES!?! ONCE SHOULD BE ENOUGH!!!’

Amen

[A-I-M]
Members
3,880 posts
14,916 battles
2 hours ago, Willawaw said:

You got it all wrong!!! WG wants to GIVE you cookies. So it’s all good....right?

Errr, .... right??

Joking aside, this is MONSTROUSLY irritating: the system logs me out of the forum every fews days, and I have to log back in. This is nothing new, But, EVERY TIME I GET LOGGED OUT, the frikking cookie preference prompt is back! Even if I log in again. And the only way to make it go away is is to complete it again.

[WPORT]
[WPORT]
Members
79 posts
11,471 battles

Guys, there are free app extensions that will 'AdGuard AdBlocker' that PITA banner.

[FML]
Members
4,160 posts
16,067 battles
32 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Strongly concur. 

Continuously getting the pop-up makes it feel like ‘strictly necessary cookies’ was the wrong choice and I should be punished for making it. 

[DSF]
Beta Testers
1,239 posts
16,093 battles

Is anyone aware how to access the settings after what was a miskey for me?

Tthe obfuscated wording and buttons sucked me into thinking there was a confirmation button press after changing settings.

[USRUS]
[USRUS]
Members
1,461 posts
20,742 battles

Cookie Consent is my rapper name

[NWOC]
[NWOC]
Members
1,056 posts
13,856 battles
On 2/19/2021 at 10:41 PM, Kraayt said:

I am using MicroSoft Edge as my browser

Get rid of it and use Brave browser. DuckDuckGo is a much better search engine than google.. neither tracks or keeps cookies..

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Banned
16,985 posts
6 minutes ago, Admiral_Hippo said:

Ya, about time they got rid of that banner!

The part that bugs me the most is what is (or was) included under "necessary" that can't be declined or blocked via the banner -- multiple third-party cookies with domains ending in ".tv" and the like. 

Members
312 posts
10,459 battles
On 2/19/2021 at 3:41 PM, Kraayt said:

I have given access to the functional cookies, but the damn banner keeps popping up every time I visit the page.  I am using MicroSoft Edge as my browser and I had similar issues with the drop down every time I tried to place a code.

Just a pita.

Same here.  It is really an annoying pain in the transom.