You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Admiral_Thrawn_1

Could Wargaming Servers Go Down From Power Loss?

21 comments in this topic

Members
12,597 posts
14,320 battles

Out of curiosity does WG North America have back up generators that can run indefinitely in case of power loss? Or do I need to check weather / Texas power grid status before playing WG games in case power / server failure happens?

Had heard news now that last Sunday Texas power grid  had been a mere 60 seconds away from total power grid system failure which would have cause complete black out for few days until they could get the system reset and back up and running. Hence the cause for my concern about WG NA servers keeping power. If for what ever reason WG does not have a plan in place for local power failure that could last for days or weeks it might be something they would want to look into.

[WORX]
Members
12,659 posts
19,907 battles
2 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Out of curiosity does WG North America have back up generators that can run indefinitely in case of power loss? Or do I need to check weather / Texas power grid status before playing WG games in case power / server failure happens?

The server is in Chicago... Not Texas...

They're only in Texas for the tax breaks...

Members
12,597 posts
14,320 battles
1 minute ago, Navalpride33 said:

The server is in Chicago... Not Texas...

They're only in Texas for the tax breaks...

Ok then shift the question to Chicago as same thing could happen any where in the US.

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
8,783 posts

I wouldn't, not buy a game or a thing I wanted in a game, because of a power outage. If the servers were to go down (which happens in online games), they will be back when they can.  The game company isn't going to just say welp I guess that's that and close up shop, just because the power went out.

On a side note, if you are worried about YOUR power, inverter generators are awesome.  Not only can they keep your furnace/fridge up and running, they are safe to run electronics on like computers and routers, (do not run your expensive computers on conventional raw power generators). So you can still game while your power is down. :Smile_Default: 

Personally I recommend the Hondas. 

On a side side note, Chicago is a lot better prepared for cold than Texas, just due to location.  Here is a picture from a blizzard in Chicago, 10 years ago.  Note that the power is still on.

VYHX5NQBRFGPLHUI2CB5R4HZGI.jpg

[WOLFG]
Members
11,816 posts
10,979 battles
14 minutes ago, Burnsy said:

I wouldn't, not buy a game or a thing I wanted in a game, because of a power outage. If the servers were to go down (which happens in online games), they will be back when they can.  The game company isn't going to just say welp I guess that's that and close up shop, just because the power went out.

On a side note, if you are worried about YOUR power, inverter generators are awesome.  Not only can they keep your furnace/fridge up and running, they are safe to run electronics on like computers and routers, (do not run your expensive computers on conventional raw power generators). So you can still game while your power is down. :Smile_Default: 

On a side side note, Chicago is a lot better prepared for cold than Texas, just due to location.  Here is a picture from a blizzard in Chicago, 10 years ago.  Note that the power is still on.

VYHX5NQBRFGPLHUI2CB5R4HZGI.jpg

Who takes a Winnie out in a snowstorm?

[A-D-F]
8,783 posts
Just now, DrHolmes52 said:

Who takes a Winnie out in a snowstorm?

I think it's a city bus.  Chicago has a massive public transportation system.

• Cool 1

[WOLFG]
Members
11,816 posts
10,979 battles
Just now, Burnsy said:

I think it's a city bus.  Chicago has a massive public transportation system.

Probably.  I think the white color brought me to the Winnebago conclusion.

[PUMA]
Members
1,113 posts
10,775 battles
33 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Hence the cause for my concern about WG NA servers keeping power. If for what ever reason WG does not have a plan in place for local power failure that could last for days or weeks it might be something they would want to look into.

Server farms usually have backup generators ( mine has) to keep them going in case of even extended power outages. However, if their backbone connection to the net goes down than all those running servers are still 'offline' as far as the world is concerned despite them running perfectly.

Members
12,597 posts
14,320 battles
26 minutes ago, Burnsy said:

It’s not that I would expect the game to totally be over. But let’s say you loaded up a ship with rare flags and camo to make a lot of XP and credits you get into a battle, power fails for WG. And I’m out that batch of signal flags and camo...

Or in WOT Blitz you could have expensive consumables ect. In use and if server power loss good by credits and the other enhancements you might be using that battle. My power and internet connections are very good so it’s more of a concern about WG having equally good power and internet assets in place.

[A-D-F]
8,783 posts
13 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

It’s not that I would expect the game to totally be over. But let’s say you loaded up a ship with rare flags and camo to make a lot of XP and credits you get into a battle, power fails for WG. And I’m out that batch of signal flags and camo...

Or in WOT Blitz you could have expensive consumables ect. In use and if server power loss good by credits and the other enhancements you might be using that battle. My power and internet connections are very good so it’s more of a concern about WG having equally good power and internet assets in place.

I am not going to not play, or worry about playing a game and randomly losing $2 worth of stuff on the really off chance that the power happens to go out to the game servers while, I also happen to be in a match.

If that were to happen, my response would be "darn" and then I would wander off to go play something else.

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
3,922 posts
1 minute ago, Burnsy said:

I am not going to not play, or worry about playing a game and randomly losing $2 worth of stuff on the really off chance that the power happens to go out to the game servers while, I also happen to be in a match.

If that were to happen, my response would be "darn" and then I would wander off to go play something else.

nvm the infrastructure between you and the server... the break or power loss could happen anywhere along the path and on your side the experience would be the same.

[A-D-F]
8,783 posts
4 minutes ago, SKurj said:

nvm the infrastructure between you and the server... the break or power loss could happen anywhere along the path and on your side the experience would be the same.

Right.

Honestly even though I am far from Texas and my power is on, I am a lot more concerned about making sure that me and house are prepared for a long and very cold outage, than a video game and some lost pixel flags.

[PTRGT]
Members
445 posts
55,569 battles

Servers are pretty reliable, they have battery backups for 1 to 4 hours generally then many larger server suppliers have back up generators.

Generally they are pretty well covered but in my companies dealing with servers internal and off side suppliers, we have had servers catch fire, been unplugged so someone could plug in a coffee maker, a water pipe from the fire fighting system for the building flooded a server room and even lightning strikes.

Most of this stuff you probably wouldn't have noticed since servers  generally switch to a back up location very fast. However the one that happens at least 2 or 3 times a year in North America is some Yahoo with a back hole or similar type of machine digs without checking (call before you dig) and cuts a major Fiber optic internet cable.  Most don't make the news but the IT folks at my company find out through alerts and pass the word to everyone who needs to know.

• Cool 1

[GLF]
Members
1,152 posts
18,160 battles
30 minutes ago, freggo said:

Server farms usually have backup generators ( mine has) to keep them going in case of even extended power outages. However, if their backbone connection to the net goes down than all those running servers are still 'offline' as far as the world is concerned despite them running perfectly.

This.  

Cloud data centers are deisgned on an entirely different level than many realize.  Regional power outages and extreme weather are already taken into account.  

Here's a high level peek at amazon's preparation for things like that:   https://aws.amazon.com/compliance/data-center/controls/

Many smaller DCs won't have those levels of preparedness, but the huge big name providers will,  Amazon, microsoft, google, etc.  As long as you're not hosting your stuff out of Jed's backyard garage cloud systems, you probably dont have to worry about regional power outage, even extended.  Most datacenters are going to have enough fuel on hand to run the generators for months before needing more rail cars delivered.  

[WOLFG]
Members
11,816 posts
10,979 battles
16 minutes ago, AnimaL21 said:

This.  

Cloud data centers are deisgned on an entirely different level than many realize.  Regional power outages and extreme weather are already taken into account.  

Here's a high level peek at amazon's preparation for things like that:   https://aws.amazon.com/compliance/data-center/controls/

Many smaller DCs won't have those levels of preparedness, but the huge big name providers will,  Amazon, microsoft, google, etc.  As long as you're not hosting your stuff out of Jed's backyard garage cloud systems, you probably dont have to worry about regional power outage, even extended.  Most datacenters are going to have enough fuel on hand to run the generators for months before needing more rail cars delivered.  

We were doing the service entrance equipment for a data center one time and could not get the local utility to understand that they could not undersize the utility service transformer because there would be "down time" at night where lower loads would allow cooling.  In a meeting, the owner finally lost it and blurted out "THERE IS NO :etc_swear: DOWNTIME AND I WILL PAY FOR THE FULL SIZED SERVICE!!!!!!"

A good time was had by all.

• Funny 1

[WOLFG]
Members
32,359 posts
10,021 battles
2 hours ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Ok then shift the question to Chicago as same thing could happen any where in the US.

I'm going to say that extended loss of power due to weather they're well used to, is not something Chicago would have an issue with. Their utility companies are not going to try saving money by not installing cold-weather safeguards, when what Texas is getting could be weeks of Chicago's normal winter weather.

Plus, as you move north, you get more and more gas heat, which adds an extra set of shoulders to bear the load of a harsh winter 

[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,849 posts
4,285 battles

As people have pointed out, servers are in Chicago. Far better equipped to handle cold weather issues than TX.

Second, it's not like WG has the game servers sitting in some closet in their office somewhere (at least I hope not). I would guess that they've leased space in a facility designed to house servers, and which probably holds servers for multiple companies. That place is going to have significant backup power capabilities, maybe not weeks but definitely more than a few hours. And they'll be known to the power company as a priority customer (and if there's infrastructure critical equipment there even more so), so chances are they'll be well up the list of who get's power back first.

So yeah, I wouldn't worry about WG servers going down. And if they did, I suspect we might have bigger worries than losing access to WOWS:Smile_teethhappy:

• Cool 1

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
2,561 posts

I don't worry about Chicago or Texas or LA or wherever. We had quite the storm this last two weeks here in Arkansas. There are 9 data centers around Little Rock that I can traffic from but usually one that has 4 different supplies of power and data etc. None of that matters if the generation exceeds demand and they black us out. (And they will) which is why I dont Wows game in storm conditions because they are one of the only games to not only punish but briefly ban for DC through no fault of your own. So I don't risk it. I can provide my own Cyberpower Battery Backup 1500 AVR but with my current machine it's only good for about 25 minutes of power and is getting rather long in the tooth. Just enough to organize a proper quit and shut down without crashing. But either way you are leaving the game in progress and thats where the Wows imposes the penalties. Its punitive and unnecessary.

Years ago in battlefield online during violent battle with 64 people trying their best to eliminate one another with everything in the game world I did not hear two small tornados form, nor the sirens and they proceeded to rip 15 telephone poles carrying my data fiber to ISP and also my telephone and Power on my street. It was that violent outside and just as violent inside on the headphones. The computer battery started crying to be fed under the table and then only then I realized that we had no power due to storm conditions at that time. It took them 7 hours to replace the poles and another 3 to reboot us back online. (A few hundered customers including college etc)

That was when I learned to tether smartphone USB and get internet that way (Direct to fiber way faster than crappy router) but if the celluar towers have no power in the county and run out of fuel for their own generators no one is going to be making cell calls any time soon. Including me. Its been a good workaround temporarily. I use it in competition to reduce the lag and ping to almost nothing. A form of cheating. I am the one who lags pretty hard as a old man playing at computer games.

The new unlocked smart phone we bought is now fast enough hardware to match my old dinosaur. Im half tempted to load wows onto that damn thing and see if I can play it. 256 gigabyte storage for a 40 gig game. Not a problem. The main thing is video. Thats not a problem either if you can transfer or stream it to a monitor fast enough to do the work.

Edited by xHeavy

Members
857 posts
13 hours ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

They would be renting/leasing server capacity from a farm.

The farm is connected to an uninterruptible Power supply (typically *lots* of batteries).   The UPS is connected, by an automatic transfer switch, to the local utility & backup supply (usually a generator)

When the transfer switch detects loss of utility, it sends a command to start to the generator.  Once the generator is online, the ATS switches over to the generator.

As long as the customer/operator of the generator remembers to put fuel in the generator, it will run until the utility is back online.

• Cool 1