Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Sabot_100

Bots behaving more like humans?

25 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

1,380
[CVA16]
Members
6,189 posts
19,067 battles

Had a green bot Montana (in a match with 5 green bots) make a 90 degree turn out of spawn and cruise slowly along the spawn line. It spent almost the whole game  cruising around the backfield. 

Do bots get deadeye or just play like they do?

  • Funny 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
46 posts
199 battles
5 minutes ago, Sabot_100 said:

Had a green bot Montana (in a match with 5 green bots) make a 90 degree turn out of spawn and cruise slowly along the spawn line. It spent almost the whole game  cruising around the backfield. 

Do bots get deadeye or just play like they do?

Bots have captain skills and captains, yes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,303
[WOLFG]
Members
11,814 posts
10,972 battles
35 minutes ago, Sabot_100 said:

Had a green bot Montana (in a match with 5 green bots) make a 90 degree turn out of spawn and cruise slowly along the spawn line. It spent almost the whole game  cruising around the backfield. 

Do bots get deadeye or just play like they do?

Every now and then, The bots will sail from one far cap to the other for no apparent reason.  Not including the all 9 bots zerg rush the only cap a DD went to behavior.

So yeah, they do on occasion play like (some) humans.

Edited by DrHolmes52

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,380
[CVA16]
Members
6,189 posts
19,067 battles
11 minutes ago, The_Jolly_Scourge said:

Bots have captain skills and captains, yes.

I know they auto get certain skills, like RPF, but I have never seen one that has CE (comparing concealments at the team screen). They do mount the concealment module I believe. They always seemed to have DE back in the old days  (or a special bot skill version- Ronson-"Lights first time, every time"). I  think they still get this now.

Many skills (like deadeye) would (should) be wasted on the bots as nobody at WG would have bothered to program them how to use them. They have no programming to even allow them to effectively use their consumables. (never use radar, randomly pop hydro, spotters and fighters). 

Unless WG has stepped up the bot programming, which seems unlikely given their track record.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,380
[CVA16]
Members
6,189 posts
19,067 battles
10 minutes ago, DrHolmes52 said:

Every now and then, The bots will sail from one far cap to the other for no apparent reason.

Another game this AM. Lots of green bots but we were winning (barely). Ended with 4 greens (human BB, my Salem and a bot CA and CV) vs the Red CV in the far corner from me . So I stopped to finish capping before joining the chase (never made it).  But as I charged after the CV, the bot CA came sailing past me heading away from anything of import.

Must be some randomizer in the programming that diverts them from chasing the closest enemy ship. Sometimes that override seems to last the whole game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,150
[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
3,922 posts

not sure but i think at least in Narai the bots are finally using their smoke much better instead of just trailing it behind them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10,733
[PVE]
Members
13,436 posts
28,193 battles

This is something that has been going on now for quite a few patches (ie; the 1 or maybe 2 ships that sail the back line and run away all game). It is reminiscent of the Chicken Bots from the update where the AI was "Improved" LOL. But it is just 1 or 2 vs all or most of them so not the same hassle it was.

However, and this is just a guess on my part, I "think" it might be tied into WG trying to deal with the Mercy Rule issue in Co-op. By having that 1 or 2 ships hang back it helps keep the bots with more pts so the MR doesn't kick in so easy.

Might not be the case but I noticed this behavior starting around the time they went to 9v9 to stop the MR problem. Think I started noticing it the very next patch. I have mentioned this behavior a few times in various threads here.

Edited by AdmiralThunder
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,131
[CO-OP]
Members
2,849 posts
28,463 battles
1 hour ago, Sabot_100 said:

Another game this AM. Lots of green bots but we were winning (barely). Ended with 4 greens (human BB, my Salem and a bot CA and CV) vs the Red CV in the far corner from me . So I stopped to finish capping before joining the chase (never made it).  But as I charged after the CV, the bot CA came sailing past me heading away from anything of import.

Must be some randomizer in the programming that diverts them from chasing the closest enemy ship. Sometimes that override seems to last the whole game.

That worked out to be to my advantage, since the cruiser started in a better position to sink the CV than I was.  I think that in the endgame the bots are programmed this way to give the human players the chance to get the final rewards.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,380
[CVA16]
Members
6,189 posts
19,067 battles
25 minutes ago, SKurj said:

not sure but i think at least in Narai the bots are finally using their smoke much better instead of just trailing it behind them.

I think the bots may be speed jinking randomly.  If they happen to slow down at the same time they pop smoke, they would actually seem to be using the smoke.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9,757
[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Banned
16,985 posts

AFAIK, the bots don't get captain skills, they get other things that blur the line with outright cheats.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
273
[KREW]
[KREW]
Members
477 posts
20,732 battles

I would have to agree, the behavior of bots has been getting more complex.
Though thankfully, I have noticed bots aren't miraculously avoiding every torpedo fired in their direction with this patch.

As to consumables, the bots certainly don't use them efficiently, but I've been spotted by radar in COOP, as recently as last night.
It's just difficult to tell because of the way the indication for "spotted by" mechanics work.
Usually when within a detection range of radar, a player is already spotted by some other means.
Let me see if I can find which game it was and post a screenshot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
794
[CO-OP]
Members
2,083 posts
27,618 battles

Can someone verify that bots used to cause team damage, on the red team that is. I've noticed in the last few days incidences of red torp hits on red ships inflicting absolutely no damage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
952
[USCC]
Members
3,120 posts
14,656 battles
2 minutes ago, Efros said:

Can someone verify that bots used to cause team damage, on the red team that is. I've noticed in the last few days incidences of red torp hits on red ships inflicting absolutely no damage.

I say no team damage on their end is better for us! If they kill each other, that less points for us to get.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
322
[VOP]
Members
961 posts
21 minutes ago, Efros said:

Can someone verify that bots used to cause team damage, on the red team that is. I've noticed in the last few days incidences of red torp hits on red ships inflicting absolutely no damage.

Red bots do not cause team damage to each other. I have watched red ships take red torps with the binos and suffer no ill effects. This has been going on for quite a while. In the past, they used to cause damage to each other.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,303
[WOLFG]
Members
11,814 posts
10,972 battles
21 minutes ago, Airjellyfish said:

Red bots do not cause team damage to each other. I have watched red ships take red torps with the binos and suffer no ill effects. This has been going on for quite a while. In the past, they used to cause damage to each other.

I haven't paid attention in a while.  On one hand it is disappointing.  On the other, it is good they aren't taking two ships away from the red farming pool.  :cap_rambo:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,380
[CVA16]
Members
6,189 posts
19,067 battles
1 hour ago, Admiral_Kartoffel said:

but I've been spotted by radar in COOP, as recently as last night.

Never noted this before. I've been hydro'd regularly but never radared. I have never seen a green bot announce it was using radar either. I may just have missed it though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,380
[CVA16]
Members
6,189 posts
19,067 battles
2 hours ago, HamptonRoads said:

I think that in the endgame the bots are programmed this way to give the human players the chance to get the final rewards.

Not sure. I've seen red bots sail away from battle at the end to so you have to find them and chase them down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10,733
[PVE]
Members
13,436 posts
28,193 battles
52 minutes ago, Airjellyfish said:

Red bots do not cause team damage to each other. I have watched red ships take red torps with the binos and suffer no ill effects. This has been going on for quite a while. In the past, they used to cause damage to each other.

They used to take it but have noticed for a while now they don't

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,131
[CO-OP]
Members
2,849 posts
28,463 battles
14 minutes ago, Sabot_100 said:

Not sure. I've seen red bots sail away from battle at the end to so you have to find them and chase them down.

I was referring to allied bots.  In the endgame they tend to shy away from the red bots.  I've seen them camping in caps, and sailing in random directions away from combat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
794
[CO-OP]
Members
2,083 posts
27,618 battles
21 hours ago, Sabot_100 said:

Never noted this before. I've been hydro'd regularly but never radared. I have never seen a green bot announce it was using radar either. I may just have missed it though.

I've been hydro'ed and radared, I've seen bot DDs stopping in smoke in the last few weeks, could be situational but they do seem to use it for cover. My detection when entering smoke seems to take far longer to kick in from the point of view of the shells that keep pummeling me long after I've gone dark.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
650
[WOLF7]
Members
876 posts

Twice this weekend (once with Hill and once with Fubuki) I had half my HP removed in the opening 90 seconds of a match by a full spread of rockets from bot CV attack planes. Never had that happen before. It was unexpected, to say the least.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,380
[CVA16]
Members
6,189 posts
19,067 battles
1 hour ago, HamAndCheez said:

Twice this weekend (once with Hill and once with Fubuki) I had half my HP removed in the opening 90 seconds of a match by a full spread of rockets from bot CV attack planes. Never had that happen before. It was unexpected, to say the least.

It surprised me the first time it happened. Even caught me when I turned in and tried to evade. Used to be safe to ignore the rockets. Seems some bot CVs are now quite good while others can still pretty much be ignored. Never know which one will show up. Best to dodge until you know which one you are facing.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
794
[CO-OP]
Members
2,083 posts
27,618 battles

Not noticed it early in the game but I have seen improved accuracy from them later on with rockets and bombs although their torp skills are pretty terrible.  Pre CV rebork getting torped by a CV was usually a ticket to the port, better accuracy and much higher damage from the torp hits.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×