Jump to content
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
RHUBARB_DIFFERENCE

Ranked is terrible and unbalanced, and other jokes we like to tell ourselves

42 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Members
207 posts
5,072 battles

A new season of ranked is upon us, and as with every single new ranked season, the incessant complaining about the game mode. Forum post after forum post complaining about bad teammates, matchmaking, not having enough irrevocable ranks, ranked isn't fun, bad teammates, and more.

Well, I have found an end-all be-all solution to this problem: git gud.

 

Now, before you get your skirts in a twist and bring out all the downvotes and the comments about elitism, give me a chance to explain what I mean, with some context.

In the ranked season immediately preceding the first test season, I had a sub 50% winrate and only got to rank 10. I was the typical guy who complains incessantly about bad teams, RNG, and pretty much anything that justified my star losses. Fast forward a few months and 1 clan battles season; this last test season, I ranked out 5 times (once in bronze and 4 times in silver) with an overall winrate of 60%. I believe I actually had a 65% winrate before the final sprint, but I used that last sprint to focus more on farming directive progress rather then getting wins (still managed to rank out). Having been both a 50%er and a 60+%er (in ranked), I wanted to give a little bit of perspective on how my mindset and my skill differs from last season, and also some tips and tricks that I used to make my progress easier and less frustrating.

First, let us talk about what differed between the two seasons. I believe what helped me the most was clan battles. Clan battles helped me learn a lot of different skills that are hard to learn in randoms, such as win conditions, agression control, and adapting my play based on the movements of both my team and the enemy team (situational awareness). I also learned a lot about each specific map, about which spots or locations are strong or weak. All of these skills carry over heavily to ranked.

Out of all of these skills, I think learning how to judge win conditions was the most important. What I mean by a win condition is to analyse based on information in the minimap what events must occur in order for you to win the game. Some examples are that we must take a cap faster then the enemy team pushes through to our home cap, or that we must kill this destroyer that is lodged into an island, or that we must take this position in order to make a crossfire. Once you have a win condition in mind, you can work backwards from it and think about what steps you must take in order to secure this win condition. One more important thing to understand is that win conditions are volatile, and can change multiple times over the course of a battle. As an example, every time either an enemy ship dies or one of your ships die, I advise you to take a look at the minimap and reasses your win condition. This could mean that you need to turn around to support home cap, or that you must push more agressively, or that you just need to survive for longer, etc, etc, etc. Thinking about a match in terms of win conditions is a really big part of each and every ranked match.

Other than this, another obvious thing is that my mechanical skill improved, making it easier for me to trade well against other players.

 

 

Now onto the issue of having bad uncarryable teams. The solution is very very simple. If your team is so bad that despite your knowlege of win conditions and all of your skill you still lose, then you should be saving your star, as you are likely a better player than every person on your team. Let's do some math.

I ranked out 4 times in silver and 1 time in bronze (where I also participated in qualifiers). This gives us about 12.2 stars gained per sprint.

As per my stats, I had 88 wins and 59 losses, giving us an average of 17.6 and 11.8 wins and losses respectively per sprint. Let us assume for a moment that I starsaved 0 times. This means that per sprint I would have earned 5.8 stars. We must make up 12.2-5.8 = 6.4 stars of discrepancy. This means that on average per sprint I saved 6.4 stars. This means I saved my star more times then I lost it! This also means that in over 80% of my games, I did not lose a single star.

Note that in practice my actual amount of games per sprint is in fact less than 29.4. As you may have noticed, I was not able to rank out on one of the sprint due to irl issues but I had played some x amount of games in it. This is also why my math doesn't quite add up perfectly.

Note #2 if you notice my math is incorrect feel free to lmk in the comments :P.

So what does this mean? This means that as long as you "git gud" as referenced earlier, in 80% of your games, the match outcome is decided by you and only you!

 

Now I will give some tips and tricks for ranked that I have heard from friends, clanmates or streamers that have really helped me:

1. If you lose a star 2 games in a row, close the game and dont come back to it for at least 5 hours. Playing while frustrated just makes you play worse

2. Pace yourself. You dont need to make a big long spreadsheettm of which rank you will reach per day, setting a reachable goal for each session will suffice

3. Always have a plan. There shouldnt be even 1 moment in a match where you don't know exactly why you are doing what you are doing, and what you hope to achieve

4. Play to your strengths. Except for some outlier cases, it really doesnt matter what ship you play. Play the ships you feel the most comfortable in.

5. Try to limit yourself to playing similar ships/classes per session. I have had bad experiences where I play a whole lot of matches in a the alaska, then I play a shimakaze and completely fail because my mind is still in alaska mode. 

6. Learn from each and every match, no matter how well you did. Reflect on what desicions were good and which were bad. I reccomend being very harsh on yourself in games where you lost a star. Players (including myself sometimes) have a tendency to excessively blame thier team when they lose. To counteract that, overcorrect and be actively harsh on your own play.

 

So, as opposed to all the vitriol seen on the forums, I actually enjoy ranked much much more than I enjoy randoms. Because the spawns are set, and the amount of players is smaller, it gives me a better chance to carry each match. For me personally, winning a match in which I carry is one of my favorite experiences :D. I hope this helps, and let me know what you think in the comments.

Edited by Battleship_PrinceOfWales
  • Cool 22
  • Thanks 4
  • Boring 4
  • Meh 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
332
[V_V_V]
Members
966 posts
17,000 battles

^This- a Civil and Constructive post.  +1.

Edited by Charon2018
add text

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,846
[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,488 posts
22,872 battles

I will not hear you,[na-na-na]....

It's NOT ME over-extending, it's my team not supporting my aggressive destroyer play.

It's NOT ME pushing in [YOLO], in my battleship....

It's NOT ME pushing in my cruiser to smack destroyers early.....

It's my team sitting in spawn.

......

Note:

Overall random stats show 48% potato.

Last 2 clan battle seasons show 68%.

Last rank test showed 63%.

I know I can do very well, but...

I cannot force early game home runs - I generally strike out...

.....

I noticed the team that sticks in 2 groups usually wins...

Be the turttle, not the rabbit...

GREAT OBSERVATIONS OP.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,642
[RLGN]
Members
15,645 posts
27,371 battles

What Charon said.

I don’t generally complain about anything but my own suckage as far as Ranked is concerned.

That I lack the motivation to improve, means that; a: I effectively never did more than the absolute minimum required to get the season flag in old Ranked; and b: took the change in format as the perfect excuse to permanently say goodbye to a format I found little enjoyment or fun in.

Many swear by ranked; to me it was never anything more than a chore.

Edited by Estimated_Prophet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
496
[TFLT]
Members
292 posts
14,066 battles

This isn't Ranked. Ranked ended a few months ago. Now they have round the clock "Sprint". Sprint is the mouth breather cousin of what Ranked used to be. I know this because just about every game I play 3/4 of the people on both teams are in the top 3 or 4 ranks. Rank 1 is a dime a dozen. 

Ranking out used to mean something. Especially if you did it in just over or under 100 games. What they have today...this never ending Spring thing is for the masses to feel good. It actually used to be rare to see players in real ranked with Ranks in the single digits. Below 5th to 1st Rank in the Premiere League was pretty rare. Now every 43% has Gold level high Rank or whatever unimpressive bobble is next to their name.

Rank used to be an ordeal that forced you to really play well to advance....and you usually ended up right where you belonged in competitive play. If you saw someone with Rank 1 you knew they could play. All that [edited] about players with 43% WR's knocking out 9,000 games to get Rank 1 was almost all [edited]. Heard of it. Never saw it. If you looked before at a Rank 1 players stats they were a good player. It's not worth  anything now that they dumbed it down and found a way to keep the gerbils on the treadmill year round no break....and  take away all the good prizes because anyone can do it so we can't devalue the Steel giving a lot away year round to anyone with a pulse.

No interest. For me ranked ended and I'm not the least interested in this laughable dumbed down for the masses free for all. Ranks now are just participation trophies and don't reflect skill. Don't take my word for it. Just check the stats of some of these window lickers that are ranking out now in this perma Sprint. Designed for your lowest common denominator. None of that hard and frustrating competition where a Rank 15 stays at Rank 15 until they ltp.

  • Haha 1
  • Meh 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
569
[O7]
Supertester
392 posts
13,168 battles
39 minutes ago, CyberKnife said:

This isn't Ranked. Ranked ended a few months ago. Now they have round the clock "Sprint". Sprint is the mouth breather cousin of what Ranked used to be. I know this because just about every game I play 3/4 of the people on both teams are in the top 3 or 4 ranks. Rank 1 is a dime a dozen. 

Ranking out used to mean something. Especially if you did it in just over or under 100 games. What they have today...this never ending Spring thing is for the masses to feel good. It actually used to be rare to see players in real ranked with Ranks in the single digits. Below 5th to 1st Rank in the Premiere League was pretty rare. Now every 43% has Gold level high Rank or whatever unimpressive bobble is next to their name.

Rank used to be an ordeal that forced you to really play well to advance....and you usually ended up right where you belonged in competitive play. If you saw someone with Rank 1 you knew they could play. All that [edited] about players with 43% WR's knocking out 9,000 games to get Rank 1 was almost all [edited]. Heard of it. Never saw it. If you looked before at a Rank 1 players stats they were a good player. It's not worth  anything now that they dumbed it down and found a way to keep the gerbils on the treadmill year round no break....and  take away all the good prizes because anyone can do it so we can't devalue the Steel giving a lot away year round to anyone with a pulse.

No interest. For me ranked ended and I'm not the least interested in this laughable dumbed down for the masses free for all. Ranks now are just participation trophies and don't reflect skill. Don't take my word for it. Just check the stats of some of these window lickers that are ranking out now in this perma Sprint. Designed for your lowest common denominator. None of that hard and frustrating competition where a Rank 15 stays at Rank 15 until they ltp.

You didn't need to play that well to rank out in the old ranked system. Seen lots of R1 players with 400+ games that would struggle to beat bots. 

Ranked was hardly a good indicator of skill unless you constantly ranked out in less than 150 games.

 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,598
[CYNIC]
Members
2,911 posts
7,800 battles

Team dies too quick to use CV -- switched to pasta bote, pasta bote good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,089
[WOLFC]
Members
2,341 posts
11 hours ago, Battleship_PrinceOfWales said:

1. If you lose a star 2 games in a row, close the game and dont come back to it for at least 5 hours. Playing while frustrated just makes you play worse

 

The vast majority of players (not people on this forum, there is a difference)  would be asleep 5 hours later.  

 

You play in a different world then many who play this game   &  this tones your opinions in ways you probably do not realise.

Edited by Anonymous50
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
566
[-TKS-]
[-TKS-]
Members
1,321 posts
13,169 battles
11 hours ago, Battleship_PrinceOfWales said:

1. If you lose a star 2 games in a row, close the game and dont come back to it for at least 5 hours. Playing while frustrated just makes you play worse

2. Pace yourself. You dont need to make a big long spreadsheettm of which rank you will reach per day, setting a reachable goal for each session will suffice

3. Always have a plan. There shouldnt be even 1 moment in a match where you don't know exactly why you are doing what you are doing, and what you hope to achieve

4. Play to your strengths. Except for some outlier cases, it really doesnt matter what ship you play. Play the ships you feel the most comfortable in.

5. Try to limit yourself to playing similar ships/classes per session. I have had bad experiences where I play a whole lot of matches in a the alaska, then I play a shimakaze and completely fail because my mind is still in alaska mode. 

solid tips for ranking out. you have verbalized my unconscious decisions when I am on the home stretch to rank out.

2 more tips,

watch the cue for skewed ship counts and then counter it.     (ex. 34 BBs - bring a torp DD)  

minimize your salt  - stay light hearted. if your being salty, your distracting  yourself out of the game and running towards the edge of tilt. When Green players salt you. its best not to respond, because it distracts the whole team. Green salt leads to losses. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
566
[-TKS-]
[-TKS-]
Members
1,321 posts
13,169 battles
4 hours ago, Your_SAT_Score said:

You didn't need to play that well to rank out in the old ranked system.

It seems that you have a widely different perspective, I recognize you are a player that is in a top clan and participated in the most competitive areas of the game, you consistently play against the top 5% of the game.  much respect. your comment just spits at the skill level of the server.  

The stats of a Ranked season support that a players had to indeed play well to rank out. the players who ranked out with 400+ games were exaggeratingly in the minority of total players. sure there were "many players" but in relative terms, they were outliers.

I always appreciated when WG would create the post ranked summary as seen below. In ranked season 8 (the first summary I could find) Consider that there were over 271K global participants, and only 2% ranked out. and over half of the total players (53%) did not rank past R12. R12 being the irrevocable, it means player hit the skill wall. These stats certainly do not reflect your perception about the ease to rank out. 

If I recall correctly of the first season I ranked out, less than 10% of the players reached R5 or lower. 

image.thumb.png.fa9a89cbea60f6c94d950876fbf60a31.png 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
0
[M0F0S]
Members
11 posts
27,899 battles

I'm a DD player, want play DD and want win with DD, so it's not easy

Remember a season where i play more than 600 games, finish to R5, want reach R1, After that, i get a better level.

what i learn: 

-always keep an eye on who is where on the minimap, friend/cover, ennemi/radar, dd

-communication and sight, who need support or do i..

-radars/hydro range

-ships detection range

-hotspot on a maps

-torp range

Thats it, all u have to know, in many situations the MM will challenge you, bad teaming, cvs in ranked, premium vs reg. may you have to anticipate your friends

ships.

you will see greats players, and one thing a great player use its his own ship characteristics, you know it , you beat it.

i play :

T8 Fantasque,Olland

T9 Mogador,

t10 Shima, Kleber, Halland depending of the meta.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
207 posts
5,072 battles
On 2/19/2021 at 1:05 AM, Your_SAT_Score said:

You didn't need to play that well to rank out in the old ranked system. Seen lots of R1 players with 400+ games that would struggle to beat bots. 

Ranked was hardly a good indicator of skill unless you constantly ranked out in less than 150 games.

 

Yeah this is pretty true. Anyone can rank out given that they play enough games. The ranked rework didn't really change that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
0
[LOTD2]
Members
10 posts
9,921 battles

Nope. By adding T9 into Bronze the pain of grinding to silver last season now extends to all of bronze.

It has made it worse. Doesn't matter how hard you try, the plebs in their top tier T8 researchable ship ends the game fast.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
569
[O7]
Supertester
392 posts
13,168 battles
On 2/19/2021 at 5:53 AM, skillztowin said:

It seems that you have a widely different perspective, I recognize you are a player that is in a top clan and participated in the most competitive areas of the game, you consistently play against the top 5% of the game.  much respect. your comment just spits at the skill level of the server.  

The stats of a Ranked season support that a players had to indeed play well to rank out. the players who ranked out with 400+ games were exaggeratingly in the minority of total players. sure there were "many players" but in relative terms, they were outliers.

I always appreciated when WG would create the post ranked summary as seen below. In ranked season 8 (the first summary I could find) Consider that there were over 271K global participants, and only 2% ranked out. and over half of the total players (53%) did not rank past R12. R12 being the irrevocable, it means player hit the skill wall. These stats certainly do not reflect your perception about the ease to rank out. 

If I recall correctly of the first season I ranked out, less than 10% of the players reached R5 or lower. 

image.thumb.png.fa9a89cbea60f6c94d950876fbf60a31.png 

You misinterpreted my statement. 

To rank out requires time, mental fortitude, and skill in that order. Skill does make it easier to rank out, but many players can just spam games until they reach R1, assuming they have enough time and don't play like a complete bot. 

Many people do stop at R12, but I would argue it's not due to skill. The grind from 23-15 is relatively easy with generous rewards, likely WG's incentive for players to play ranked.

Past R12, the grind is considerably longer as you don't earn extra stars on ranking up. Rewards are also meh considering how much effort is required to get them. At this point, players ask themselves if the next hundreds of games and mountain of salt is worth the R1 rewards. Unless you are going for R1, most players don't consider it worth their time or sanity to rank out. I stopped at ~R10 a couple seasons because school kept me too busy for playing ranked.

 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
31 posts
3,522 battles
On 2/18/2021 at 8:21 PM, Battleship_PrinceOfWales said:

A new season of ranked is upon us, and as with every single new ranked season, the incessant complaining about the game mode. Forum post after forum post complaining about bad teammates, matchmaking, not having enough irrevocable ranks, ranked isn't fun, bad teammates, and more.

Well, I have found an end-all be-all solution to this problem: git gud.

 

Now, before you get your skirts in a twist and bring out all the downvotes and the comments about elitism, give me a chance to explain what I mean, with some context.

In the ranked season immediately preceding the first test season, I had a sub 50% winrate and only got to rank 10. I was the typical guy who complains incessantly about bad teams, RNG, and pretty much anything that justified my star losses. Fast forward a few months and 1 clan battles season; this last test season, I ranked out 5 times (once in bronze and 4 times in silver) with an overall winrate of 60%. I believe I actually had a 65% winrate before the final sprint, but I used that last sprint to focus more on farming directive progress rather then getting wins (still managed to rank out). Having been both a 50%er and a 60+%er (in ranked), I wanted to give a little bit of perspective on how my mindset and my skill differs from last season, and also some tips and tricks that I used to make my progress easier and less frustrating.

First, let us talk about what differed between the two seasons. I believe what helped me the most was clan battles. Clan battles helped me learn a lot of different skills that are hard to learn in randoms, such as win conditions, agression control, and adapting my play based on the movements of both my team and the enemy team (situational awareness). I also learned a lot about each specific map, about which spots or locations are strong or weak. All of these skills carry over heavily to ranked.

Out of all of these skills, I think learning how to judge win conditions was the most important. What I mean by a win condition is to analyse based on information in the minimap what events must occur in order for you to win the game. Some examples are that we must take a cap faster then the enemy team pushes through to our home cap, or that we must kill this destroyer that is lodged into an island, or that we must take this position in order to make a crossfire. Once you have a win condition in mind, you can work backwards from it and think about what steps you must take in order to secure this win condition. One more important thing to understand is that win conditions are volatile, and can change multiple times over the course of a battle. As an example, every time either an enemy ship dies or one of your ships die, I advise you to take a look at the minimap and reasses your win condition. This could mean that you need to turn around to support home cap, or that you must push more agressively, or that you just need to survive for longer, etc, etc, etc. Thinking about a match in terms of win conditions is a really big part of each and every ranked match.

Other than this, another obvious thing is that my mechanical skill improved, making it easier for me to trade well against other players.

 

 

Now onto the issue of having bad uncarryable teams. The solution is very very simple. If your team is so bad that despite your knowlege of win conditions and all of your skill you still lose, then you should be saving your star, as you are likely a better player than every person on your team. Let's do some math.

I ranked out 4 times in silver and 1 time in bronze (where I also participated in qualifiers). This gives us about 12.2 stars gained per sprint.

As per my stats, I had 88 wins and 59 losses, giving us an average of 17.6 and 11.8 wins and losses respectively per sprint. Let us assume for a moment that I starsaved 0 times. This means that per sprint I would have earned 5.8 stars. We must make up 12.2-5.8 = 6.4 stars of discrepancy. This means that on average per sprint I saved 6.4 stars. This means I saved my star more times then I lost it! This also means that in over 80% of my games, I did not lose a single star.

Note that in practice my actual amount of games per sprint is in fact less than 29.4. As you may have noticed, I was not able to rank out on one of the sprint due to irl issues but I had played some x amount of games in it. This is also why my math doesn't quite add up perfectly.

Note #2 if you notice my math is incorrect feel free to lmk in the comments :P.

So what does this mean? This means that as long as you "git gud" as referenced earlier, in 80% of your games, the match outcome is decided by you and only you!

 

Now I will give some tips and tricks for ranked that I have heard from friends, clanmates or streamers that have really helped me:

1. If you lose a star 2 games in a row, close the game and dont come back to it for at least 5 hours. Playing while frustrated just makes you play worse

2. Pace yourself. You dont need to make a big long spreadsheettm of which rank you will reach per day, setting a reachable goal for each session will suffice

3. Always have a plan. There shouldnt be even 1 moment in a match where you don't know exactly why you are doing what you are doing, and what you hope to achieve

4. Play to your strengths. Except for some outlier cases, it really doesnt matter what ship you play. Play the ships you feel the most comfortable in.

5. Try to limit yourself to playing similar ships/classes per session. I have had bad experiences where I play a whole lot of matches in a the alaska, then I play a shimakaze and completely fail because my mind is still in alaska mode. 

6. Learn from each and every match, no matter how well you did. Reflect on what desicions were good and which were bad. I reccomend being very harsh on yourself in games where you lost a star. Players (including myself sometimes) have a tendency to excessively blame thier team when they lose. To counteract that, overcorrect and be actively harsh on your own play.

 

So, as opposed to all the vitriol seen on the forums, I actually enjoy ranked much much more than I enjoy randoms. Because the spawns are set, and the amount of players is smaller, it gives me a better chance to carry each match. For me personally, winning a match in which I carry is one of my favorite experiences :D. I hope this helps, and let me know what you think in the comments.

The whole top scorer-keeps-his-star is a curse in plain sight. Come on, you know there are a LOT of players in WoW that won't even blink before deciding to throw their entire team under the bus just so they can make sure they get the points. 

But the biggest issue I am having is being stuck in Level 5 purgatory. Level 3 needs to be an irrevocable. 

It takes 8 FRIGGIN' WINS IN ROW to go from Level 5 to 1. You can be the incarnation of Horatio Nelson, and the odds of landing a team of knuckleheads at least once in 8 is pretty high. I didn't think Ranked could get any worse than the last time, but it did.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
207 posts
5,072 battles
1 hour ago, USN_Submariner_TM said:

The whole top scorer-keeps-his-star is a curse in plain sight. Come on, you know there are a LOT of players in WoW that won't even blink before deciding to throw their entire team under the bus just so they can make sure they get the points. 

The "playing for the starsave" mentality is a myth. People see players farming damage in ranked and think "this guy is only playing for the starsave and not for the win". However in fact damage farming will net you less base xp, due to the way base xp is calculated.

To maximize base xp one must do meaningful damage such as devastating damage to cruisers or destroyers, because base xp is calculated as %hp. Capping and defending also gives a lot of base xp. A person who does a lot of these two things has a huge positive impact on your team.  Most of the time the person who got first on your team on a loss actually deserves it. 

2 hours ago, USN_Submariner_TM said:

But the biggest issue I am having is being stuck in Level 5 purgatory. Level 3 needs to be an irrevocable. 

I disagree, ranked is the truest test of individual skill in this game at the moment and as such it shouldn't be made easier for the masses. 

2 hours ago, USN_Submariner_TM said:

It takes 8 FRIGGIN' WINS IN ROW to go from Level 5 to 1. You can be the incarnation of Horatio Nelson, and the odds of landing a team of knuckleheads at least once in 8 is pretty high. I didn't think Ranked could get any worse than the last time, but it did.

Thats literally why the star-saving mechanic exists. If you truly are skilled then as I said in my post you should have no trouble saving your star with a reasonable level of consistency.

Many players for some reason think that they are entitled to rank out. This couldn't be farther from the case. This game mode wasn't designed to award your average player, it was designed to award skilled players. Get it out of your head that ranked needs to be made easier.

  • Meh 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
496
[TFLT]
Members
292 posts
14,066 battles
On 2/19/2021 at 4:05 AM, Your_SAT_Score said:

You didn't need to play that well to rank out in the old ranked system. Seen lots of R1 players with 400+ games that would struggle to beat bots. 

Ranked was hardly a good indicator of skill unless you constantly ranked out in less than 150 games.

 

I only saw a few people that managed to Rank out by sheer number of games. About 99% of the players I saw with Rank 1 were Players that had very high win rates in regular games and were all around good players.

The "anyone can get Rank 1" thing was definately started by people that never were able to reach Rank 1 and like to take a dump on the achievement they were unable to reach. "yea man, if I had time to play a bunch of games I could totally rank out"....yea sure. The one or two people I saw do it that were not good players...low to mid 40% it took them something like 800 to 900 games. The reality of Ranked is...you generally end up with the rank you deserve. If it's to exasperating and you quit at Rank 12,....that's the limit of your competitive ability in that specific measure.  If you're able to figure out how to save stars and advance in ranks you go further. The first 8 Seasons I had trouble getting to 15. Then one season it clicked and I made Rank 1  10 times and always from 115 ish to 250 battles. You saying if you can't rank out in 147 battles you suck is pretty funny. I know a lot of unicums who had tough years and it took them well into the 200 and even 300 battles. 

The Old Ranked System was vastly more difficult and required far more skill than Sprint. That was the entire point. To make it more easy and accessable for the masses which found competitive Ranked battle systems too difficult. Sprint is nothing more than a dumbed down, simplified and easier version of Ranked that runs all the time letting you easily keep that Sprint Rank up at 1 as long as you're willing to spent the time. I used to Rank out in Sprint in 1 game session. Real Ranked took me in the low 130s average games to get Ranked 1 10 times. It was frustrating. Difficult. Exposed you to better and better players as you got into the single digits and really intense blow Rank 5. I run WoWs Monitor and you could see the Win Rates and skill level of the players on the teams rise exponentially from Rank 6is to 1. Ranking out meant something. Today nearly every game you play both teams are fully stacked with players at Rank 1 and hordes just below 1. In real Ranked if you saw a Rank 1 on your team at the end of the game ...especially early in the Season...their stats in the game matched that rank. Today everyone and their brother is up there. Diluted. It's a tiny Participation Trophy for you sitting there on a table with tens of thousands of them anyone who cared to show up walks away with. It used to mean something when it was hard to earn. That "anyone could get it before" nonsense has been laughable for a long time. I found your Rank in the end screen in the old days matched up perfectly with your game performance...from Unicums top Player and Rank 1 to the first killed bottom of the list Rank 25 or 18 after the cut off the Ranks in the 20s. Nothing but a thing people who didn't have the skill or patience to compete tell themselves to avoid having face the fact that their inability to advance was due to their skill level and not something they chose not to due because "anyone could do it" so I didn't bother. I don't care what you say. That old Ranked was hard and required a moderately good player to really up and adapt their game to get to Rank 1. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
725
[TIMT]
Members
1,365 posts
4,910 battles
On 2/18/2021 at 5:21 PM, Battleship_PrinceOfWales said:

Out of all of these skills, I think learning how to judge win conditions was the most important. What I mean by a win condition is to analyse based on information in the minimap what events must occur in order for you to win the game. Some examples are that we must take a cap faster then the enemy team pushes through to our home cap, or that we must kill this destroyer that is lodged into an island, or that we must take this position in order to make a crossfire. Once you have a win condition in mind, you can work backwards from it and think about what steps you must take in order to secure this win condition. One more important thing to understand is that win conditions are volatile, and can change multiple times over the course of a battle. As an example, every time either an enemy ship dies or one of your ships die, I advise you to take a look at the minimap and reasses your win condition. This could mean that you need to turn around to support home cap, or that you must push more agressively, or that you just need to survive for longer, etc, etc, etc. Thinking about a match in terms of win conditions is a really big part of each and every ranked match.

This, very much this. With just 7v7 this is a huge thing. This, and the fact that you usually have only three caps makes tactics more important in my mind. I personally started to think like this after watching a bunch of the O7 folks play ranked on stream. In randoms you usually have two flanks that are mostly independent of each other and the match could be lost on the other side of the map without your input at all. Matches are rarely close enough for this to become a thing in randoms, so it is hard to train this type of thinking in randoms.

On 2/18/2021 at 5:21 PM, Battleship_PrinceOfWales said:

Now onto the issue of having bad uncarryable teams. The solution is very very simple. If your team is so bad that despite your knowlege of win conditions and all of your skill you still lose, then you should be saving your star, as you are likely a better player than every person on your team. Let's do some math.

I mean there is star saving and then there is "star saving". You can see that a battle is not going in your favor fairly early on sometimes, and trying to get a bit more base XP in by capping instead of farming damage on a BB is often the smarter move. Then again, a lot of people just resort to passive play and only farm damage in order to save a star. So I would qualify the statement of "just save your star".

My 'solution' for the uncarryable teams is to simply accept them as inevitable. It will happen, and you will lose a star. If you accept that and can move on without getting too upset or invested in a specific game then you will be happier long term. Ranked, even the short sprints, are just number games.

On 2/18/2021 at 5:21 PM, Battleship_PrinceOfWales said:

ow I will give some tips and tricks for ranked that I have heard from friends, clanmates or streamers that have really helped me:

1. If you lose a star 2 games in a row, close the game and dont come back to it for at least 5 hours. Playing while frustrated just makes you play worse

2. Pace yourself. You dont need to make a big long spreadsheettm of which rank you will reach per day, setting a reachable goal for each session will suffice

3. Always have a plan. There shouldnt be even 1 moment in a match where you don't know exactly why you are doing what you are doing, and what you hope to achieve

4. Play to your strengths. Except for some outlier cases, it really doesnt matter what ship you play. Play the ships you feel the most comfortable in.

5. Try to limit yourself to playing similar ships/classes per session. I have had bad experiences where I play a whole lot of matches in a the alaska, then I play a shimakaze and completely fail because my mind is still in alaska mode. 

6. Learn from each and every match, no matter how well you did. Reflect on what desicions were good and which were bad. I reccomend being very harsh on yourself in games where you lost a star. Players (including myself sometimes) have a tendency to excessively blame thier team when they lose. To counteract that, overcorrect and be actively harsh on your own play.

I would add to this, that having a secondary goal really helps. For example, I currently have only a single 21Pt captain (on my Smaland) so ranked is just an excuse to farm cXP and credits. Might as well do that in ranked instead of randoms, as ranked games are usually faster paced and the turnover is better. Definitely don't play tilted, and take frequent breaks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
487
[WOLFG]
Members
671 posts
14,271 battles

Ranked has been pretty decent this go around. Have only been in like one, maybe two blowout losses. Rest have been close, wins and losses. Some very exciting battles too. Come back from the edge of defeat wins and so on. It's been fun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,399
[WOLFC]
Members
2,560 posts
11,041 battles

The only real complaints I have regarding my experience in ranked so far is the prevalence of people complaining in chat about MM at the start, whether that be because of what MMM tells them or the distribution of radars, etc.

The latter case was especially amusing, because we went on to win handedly despite the “incredibly unfair” 5 to 1 radar ratio in favor of the other team. Said detractor declared the match lost 30s in and died rather early.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,327
[SALVO]
Members
6,951 posts
5,510 battles
1 hour ago, Nevermore135 said:

The only real complaints I have regarding my experience in ranked so far is the prevalence of people complaining in chat about MM at the start, whether that be because of what MMM tells them or the distribution of radars, etc.

Funny, I haven't got one complain about me dropping in Albemarle (I think I'm the only player using Albemarle this season), not even one. I was prepared to get some salt about it but so far seems people just don't care. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17
[MX]
Members
39 posts

I also significantly increased my WR in this clan battles, however for me it was much more simple. I had to find the ship I could contribute with best ( some people would call that carry, I still believe in team work). This was NOT the same ship I played better in randoms, I found out.

 

After struggling with even premium ships, the sweet spot for me was the Kitakaze. Somehow in this boat I was able to make a significant difference. Either the early DD kill, early cap, mid game BB harassments, etc. I had a WR of 65% with it. Not  amazing for many players but enough to qualify within  2 evenings. 

 

A fellow clan member was raging about bad players and how much he hated clan wars until he found his ship. Once he found it he went from 5 to qualify in a few games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4
[AFW_]
Members
37 posts
6,638 battles

Ranked IS terrible... So much so i can't stand to play more than 3 battles at one go. Why do the rules even allow for t8, if it is mixed in with t9? 

I'm not gonna go on a usual rant, but that is a punishing rule for anyone considering to be succesful with a t8 in predominantly t9 enviromnent. I dislike this iteration even more than the one before it, where at least bronze league was t8 only. 

Let them keep their steel, i'll keep my dollars.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×