You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Whiskey_Rebel

Is Nelson worth the 375k?

60 comments in this topic

Members
518 posts
3,003 battles

I was able to resist the urge to spend my free xp on getting to 21 points for my captains, and so I'm within striking range of Nelson at around 320k. Is she worth it? I feel like trying to get to 1m fxp is probably not realistic (for the tier 9s). 

[NUWES]
Members
3,385 posts
12,287 battles

Yes. It's a fun ship and it is historic as well.

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
13,429 posts
28,176 battles

Personally I never connected with Nelson. It is slow with bad armor and trolly guns. BUT with that said the price is really good for a T7 Premium. With FXP inflation these days the 375K is a steal.

• Cool 3

[FML]
Members
4,157 posts
16,067 battles
3 minutes ago, Whiskey_Rebel said:

I was able to resist the urge to spend my free xp on getting to 21 points for my captains, and so I'm within striking range of Nelson at around 320k. Is she worth it? I feel like trying to get to 1m fxp is probably not realistic (for the tier 9s). 

I would say that it is definitely worth it.

You need to play the Nelson a little counter-intuitively, as you would expect with all that forward firepower you would go bow in, but given so many of its opponents can overmatch your fat nose that gets you killed. Instead, you should kite away and fire over your shoulder, taking as many hit as you can on an obliquely angled belt. So go to the weak flank and go defensive. Remember to switch between HE and AP - both are good.

The Nelson will be fun and is a good captain trainer. I also prefer the mid-tier game a lot more because of the dynamic mix of chaos, but some players only like T10s so if you are one of those then maybe keep saving. But 350k free XP actually won’t take that long to recover with the right mix of signal flags and camos that you can get through playing the game, so you will have a solid fun ship whilst you are going for your top target. 

Plus, all the good T9 premiums have been removed anyway. 

• Cool 2

[_BDA_]
Members
141 posts
3,659 battles
10 minutes ago, Whiskey_Rebel said:

I would say yes but in only if you know how to play her/ like her play style. She is not an easy battleship to play with her poor speed, very exposed citadel, and slow shell speed. However, when played correctly she can tank like no other tier 7 bb (except for maybe Sinop) and dish out the punishment. 

[O_O]
[O_O]
Members
5,231 posts
22,836 battles

Nothing more fun than to have HE loaded up, knowing a DD is coming your way, then blapping her into near non-existence. And Nelson's HE pens/cits many CL at her tier and lower. She is hella fun to sail!

• Cool 1
  • Thanks 1

[GPORT]
Members
221 posts
13,200 battles

Nelson was the first ship I got with fxp, and it's a blast to play. Well worth it.......just pay attention to EVERYTHING about her .

• Cool 1

Members
1,917 posts
27,804 battles
36 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

It is slow with bad armor and trolly guns. BUT with that said the price is really good for a T7 Premium. With FXP inflation these days the 375K is a steal.

^^^This. So much ^^^^THIS!

[4HIM]
Beta Testers
2,256 posts
16,130 battles

Very solid ship... don't underestimate the AP, but HE 80% of the time.  She can't get away with showing a broadside too often, and cannot tank vs higher tier BBs...but in her tier she's pretty good.  Very worth the Fxp

• Cool 1

[IND8]
[IND8]
Members
1,161 posts
11,305 battles
37 minutes ago, UltimateNewbie said:

Plus, all the good T9 premiums have been removed anyway. 

*cough* Friesland *cough*

Seroiusly, though, Nelson is a great premium ship once you figure out to fire over your shoulder and not bow in.

Edited by Shannon_Lindsey

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
3,922 posts

it is worth all 375k of those exp...

I have a thing for the ships with the guns front mounted...  they are fairly easy to play (even more so in coop) turret traverse speed is rarely a problem.  Just angle and pew pew...

and Nelson has some glorious heals, for those chucking fire at you...

It is a bit slow... and be careful showing the broadside...

and along side the HE vs DD's... i got a detonation on a DD in coop with Nelson this week, with a single 2ndary round. 

• Cool 1

[DOTM]
Beta Testers
2,028 posts
14,039 battles

Not really. It's been power crept very badly.

[GOB]
Members
2,709 posts

I love threads like this... I got her out of a container and never played her but for the snowflake...  Going to pay her some attention now.

• Cool 3

[CRF]
Members
975 posts
8,966 battles
37 minutes ago, SKurj said:

it is worth all 375k of those exp...

I have a thing for the ships with the guns front mounted...  they are fairly easy to play (even more so in coop) turret traverse speed is rarely a problem.  Just angle and pew pew...

and Nelson has some glorious heals, for those chucking fire at you...

It is a bit slow... and be careful showing the broadside...

and along side the HE vs DD's... i got a detonation on a DD in coop with Nelson this week, with a single 2ndary round. 

I got my first det on a DD at range last night on first volley - in the ROMA, and I fired about 12 kms out, and didnt expect to hit anything.  And then as I am reloading, DING, ship destoryed - with a single pen....kind of nice to see RNG smile on me for once.

As for the NELSON - don't have it yet, but approaching 1.5M FXP, so maybe...

Edited by sonoasailor

[TARP]
Members
96 posts
4 minutes ago, Zaydin said:

Not really. It's been power crept very badly.

Not very badly, and its also been free xp inflated so it’s a great deal. Personally like it a lot better than the Strasbourg.

I would recommend it.

• Cool 1

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
3,922 posts

Here is the thread i started for this very question last year:

[IMP]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
451 posts
6,257 battles

It's a solid and fun ship to play, suffers when there are CVs because Nelson's AA is trash. Armor is "bad" (Considering Nelson has the same armor plating as other BBs of that tier..) yes but there are 32mm of armor amidships, you wouldn't know how many times I trolled things like Georgias into shooting at it, only to bounce all their shells. It also shatters some HE.

[BNRJ]
Members
148 posts
6,455 battles

first ten games or so I really struggled in Nelson, but lately it seems the ship is really working for me. Relatively speaking, its a better investment at 375k than any of the super cruisers at more than twice that amount after the latter were nerfed by the skill change. Get the ship.

• Cool 1

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead
15,790 posts
4,771 battles
2 hours ago, Whiskey_Rebel said:

I like Nelson.  And I can take her into Ops.  The only RN BB I like so far (jury still out on Thunderer).

Otoh, ECXP has become quite hard to get and FXP can be used in its stead if you run out.  I'd say if you can get a 21 pt CO that you will play the heck out of, you might consider spending it there.

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
3,922 posts

and this week is Narai....  good time to buy it and try it in the OP