You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
IfYouSeeKhaos

Skills rework...Is it just me...

17 comments in this topic

[PVE]
Members
7,856 posts
23,816 battles

...No...it's not...

& it's not just you either...

The skills are the same for everybody...so just your ship didn't get nerfed by so & so changes... everybody's did.

You don't need to post a thread (or keep posting numerous threads) explaining how your ship doesn't have the same abilities it did before or how the extra 2 points didn't help but actually ended up w/less abilities than it had before...we all know because it happened to us all too...

& just to dispell the "Deadeye is so OP" rumor...it sucks when I use it...so it's not the skill... it's only the people w/very good predictive skills that will benefit by it (that's right...perfect aim is irrelevant as any maneuver after you aim & shoot exactly where the ship would have been will still result in all misses... it's about being able to predict where they will maneuver to by the time your shells get there...10-15 seconds after you fire them if you stay in the back w/it).

Although if you advance w/it as the closer ships die it's quite more effective at the edge of your detection ranges I did discover...in the 4 or 5 battles I played w/it in my shiny new Thunderer.

Edit: Any advice on what works for you is appreciated by those looking to figure out workable builds...but we all know what doesn't work in comparison to what used to.

Edited by IfYouSeeKhaos
  • Cool 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 3

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
3,919 posts

to be fair alot of the complaints are about the impact it has on the overall game play...

by encouraging back row play etc...   i bet even if deadeye was 5% and not 10% the effect on the player base would be the same...

• Thanks 1

[-VT-]
Members
803 posts
35,812 battles

Agreed.  Everybody has the same number of skill points and access to the same skill set.  Nobody has an advantage.

Me? I like the rework.  My captains can be specialized to a finer degree to suit my play style.  And, I have seen my win rate push up 0.15% since 10.0 dropped.  That may not sound like much but given my total battles it is actually quite nice.

As to Dead Eye?  The skill does promote BB sniping.  Does this work at times?  Yes.  Does it hurt the team most games?  Yes as well.  BBs in the back can't hit a DD in a cap and therefore can't support their team's DDs.  That leads to a lot of losses, though the BBs in the back may rack up some nice damage totals.

• Meh 1

[WOLFA]
Members
853 posts
7,652 battles

Destroying any chance of players like myself who bought ships because they were marketed as "strong secondary" ships and then ruining any brawling gameplay completely turned me off to this game.

They are turning it into a WOT dumpster fire. They ruined the meta with dead eye and drastically dropped fire chance for all ships and they did this all because of reasons.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[NAVAL]
[NAVAL]
Members
239 posts
13,802 battles

so your advice is it's all a chit sandwich and we all have to take a bite?

Members
2,069 posts
12,694 battles
18 minutes ago, CorradoG60 said:

drastically dropped fire chance for all ships

wut?

[OO7]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
242 posts
9,900 battles
1 hour ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

...No...it's not...

& it's not just you either...

The skills are the same for everybody...so just your ship didn't get nerfed by so & so changes... everybody's did.

You don't need to post a thread (or keep posting numerous threads) explaining how your ship doesn't have the same abilities it did before or how the extra 2 points didn't help but actually ended up w/less abilities than it had before...we all know because it happened to us all too...I really wish this would end, its been an entire patch cycle people. We did the math 3 months ago and are all in the same place now :/.  

& just to dispell the "Deadeye is so OP" rumor...it sucks when I use it...so it's not the skill... it's only the people w/very good predictive skills that will benefit by it (that's right...perfect aim is irrelevant as any maneuver after you aim & shoot exactly where the ship would have been will still result in all misses... it's about being able to predict where they will maneuver to by the time your shells get there...10-15 seconds after you fire them if you stay in the back w/it).  It has made Kansas noticeably more consistent for me, albeit in some very minorly noticeable ways, but nowhere near the level of the outcry and panik everyone's been throwing at it.  

Edit: Any advice on what works for you is appreciated by those looking to figure out workable builds...but we all know what doesn't work in comparison to what used to.

I honestly found myself really enjoying the freedom of respec'ing all the time.  Could slap on a non concealment build for a few games and meme around, and I didn't have to pay for it.  Opened up a whole new avenue of the game for me, one that I hadn't even realized could be a thing.  I still don't know what the best builds are and I'm one of the people who helped write a lot of the suggestions!

The meta was always horrendously passive people just didn't pay attention to it and now are reinforcing their beliefs that DEADEYE is causing all of it (its not even close to all of it).  Yes, secondaries are worse but they were *never* a primary source of damage anyways.  

Sure, we're missing out on some stuff, but meh, that's how it is and no amount of complaints will get us anywhere at this point.  
P.S. nice seein ya yesterday, sorta out of my normal habitat :D

• Cool 1

[WOLFG]
Members
32,288 posts
9,988 battles
1 hour ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

... just to dispell the "Deadeye is so OP" rumor...it sucks when I use it...so it's not the skill... it's only the people w/very good predictive skills that will benefit by it (that's right...perfect aim is irrelevant as any maneuver after you aim & shoot exactly where the ship would have been will still result in all misses... it's about being able to predict where they will maneuver to by the time your shells get there...10-15 seconds after you fire them if you stay in the back w/it).

One way to look at that is, players were asking for years for their aiming skill to pay off more and be less RNG.

Looks like they got it..... :Smile_trollface:

Edited by Skpstr

Members
2,069 posts
12,694 battles
5 minutes ago, ToxicSymphony said:

The meta was always horrendously passive people just didn't pay attention to it and now are reinforcing their beliefs that DEADEYE is causing all of it (its not even close to all of it).

It's not that it causing all passive play but that it's causing a specific type of passive play. Bad dead eye players will fall back from any push to keep their buff making it very hard for a team to hold ground. I think many aggressive players are starting to notice this and push hard early leading to total map control in a few minutes and a steamroll.

[OO7]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
242 posts
9,900 battles
2 minutes ago, Rouxi said:

It's not that it causing all passive play but that it's causing a specific type of passive play. Bad dead eye players will fall back from any push to keep their buff making it very hard for a team to hold ground. I think many aggressive players are starting to notice this and push hard early leading to total map control in a few minutes and a steamroll.

The thing is people were doing this LONG before deadeye came out, its just been more noticed and exacerbated since then with people calling Deadeye as the sole reason for it.  

Yolo pushing early is a great way to just die, that's not exactly a winning strategy either.  

• Thanks 1

[PVE]
Members
7,856 posts
23,816 battles
1 hour ago, SKurj said:

to be fair alot of the complaints are about the impact it has on the overall game play...

by encouraging back row play etc...   i bet even if deadeye was 5% and not 10% the effect on the player base would be the same...

(Sorry all...should have broke this into a few different posts instead of 1 long 1...now that it's all typed out it got pretty big)

Too true on the 5-10% analogy...but as toxic points out below back row camping has always been a thing (almost like they're going to make you repaint the camo after each battle if it gets scratched...but...

1 hour ago, Sabene said:

Agreed.  Everybody has the same number of skill points and access to the same skill set.  Nobody has an advantage.

Me? I like the rework.  My captains can be specialized to a finer degree to suit my play style.  And, I have seen my win rate push up 0.15% since 10.0 dropped.  That may not sound like much but given my total battles it is actually quite nice.

As to Dead Eye?  The skill does promote BB sniping.  Does this work at times?  Yes.  Does it hurt the team most games?  Yes as well.  BBs in the back can't hit a DD in a cap and therefore can't support their team's DDs.  That leads to a lot of losses, though the BBs in the back may rack up some nice damage totals.

It doesn't necessarily lead to any more losses because the other team is doing it also...& it's basically down to how many players on each team don't use it & support their team which is also random & probably about 50/50 overall...

But glad to hear about your stat boosts... especially w/your battle count .. that's huge.

47 minutes ago, CorradoG60 said:

Destroying any chance of players like myself who bought ships because they were marketed as "strong secondary" ships and then ruining any brawling gameplay completely turned me off to this game.

They are turning it into a WOT dumpster fire. They ruined the meta with dead eye and drastically dropped fire chance for all ships and they did this all because of reasons.

Again...all ships got the 2ndary nerf...& the DE fire chance nerf...so even though your 2nds efficiency & fire starting chances are reduced...so is all the 12 players on the red team using them against you.

49 minutes ago, syp_twiz said:

so your advice is it's all a chit sandwich and we all have to take a bite?

Didn't give any advice...& nobody is making anybody bite anything...

I just pointed out were all being served the same sandwich (& we all have the choice to not bite it)...& it's not as runny as most think it is...

Mines got some corn & peanuts...or maybe that's just corn nuts...

I'll try to update after I take another bite later.

39 minutes ago, Rouxi said:

wut?

Pyrotechnics is only 1% instead of the 2% (or even 3% back in the day) that Demolition Expert was.

34 minutes ago, ToxicSymphony said:

I honestly found myself really enjoying the freedom of respec'ing all the time.  Could slap on a non concealment build for a few games and meme around, and I didn't have to pay for it.  Opened up a whole new avenue of the game for me, one that I hadn't even realized could be a thing.  I still don't know what the best builds are and I'm one of the people who helped write a lot of the suggestions!

The meta was always horrendously passive people just didn't pay attention to it and now are reinforcing their beliefs that DEADEYE is causing all of it (its not even close to all of it).  Yes, secondaries are worse but they were *never* a primary source of damage anyways.  

Sure, we're missing out on some stuff, but meh, that's how it is and no amount of complaints will get us anywhere at this point.  
P.S. nice seein ya yesterday, sorta out of my normal habitat :D

Fortunately I heard early on that the rest all skills button was a 1 shot deal so I waited until the last moment (Sunday night) to use it so I could play w/builds & run my flakes & not be scrambling at the last minute to figure out what stupid builds I left on what ships...especially some of the odd builds I was using for dockyard missions...

Did you get your missions done in time...forget what it was again you were working on...just remembered you had finished the dockyard already.

I got the 6th dockyard complete...after getting Yahagi getting the extra draconics in the 6th set was all I was hoping for as I knew I didn't have time to grind 55k BXP for the 7th stage...the free T9 camo would have been nice but wasn't expecting it after my late start.

41 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

One way to look at that is, players were asking for years for their aiming skill to pay off more and be less RNG.

Looks like they got it..... :Smile_trollface:

:Smile_teethhappy:

40 minutes ago, Rouxi said:

The thing to realize is the red teams deadeye players are doing the same thing...unless there's a CV to help spot that out early most don't seem to realize that & only notice it from their team's perspective.

That aggressive play isn't a bad strategy as long as you use islands cover to keep their deadeye players neutralized & make them expose themselves to your deadeye players to try to flush you out...but I guess the map layout/your spawn would be determining factors on how well that works.

• Meh 1

[VOP]
Members
953 posts
2 hours ago, CorradoG60 said:

I don't know...all of my ships catch fire just fine.

[ARGSY]
Members
23,352 posts
17,307 battles
12 hours ago, CorradoG60 said:

and then ruining any brawling gameplay

So what you're saying is that you expect your secondaries to be unlimited death and destruction and that now they're less effective it's the end of the world?

Your main armament doesn't matter?

Your torpedoes, if you have them (e.g. Tirpitz, Odin, Pommern), don't matter?

I've brawled in the Minnesota - currently the equal slowest-reloading ship in the game. I took on two BBs at once (with a third firing on me from over a hill) and blew them both apart at a range of under 5km at the time of the kill shot. Don't you whine to me that brawling is now impossible, because I'm simply not going to believe you.

[WOLFG]
Members
32,288 posts
9,988 battles
11 hours ago, Airjellyfish said:

I don't know...all of my ships catch fire just fine.

Possibly he's thinking of the need to DE.

While that does "drastically" reduce fire chances for ships with small guns, (mostly DDs) it's minor for the rest of the ships.

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Banned
16,985 posts

Summary of opening post:  "If everyone gets stabbed in the eye, then there's nothing wrong with getting stabbed in the eye."  

:Smile_smile:

• Cool 1