You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Big_Ape

Base xp

14 comments in this topic

[APES]
Members
158 posts
1,393 battles

What is base xp and how do you get it, plus can some explain to me how to understand ship stats and to know what is good and bad about a ship.

Screenshot_10.png

[CO-OP]
Members
2,822 posts
28,397 battles

Base XP is the sum of what you accomplish in a battle.  This is an UNMODIFIED number which your rewards are based. If you look at the post battle screen, your base XP will be displayed in the "Team Score" tab.  (NOTE: the experience shown in the "Personal Score" tab is your modified total.)

https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Base_Earnings#Base_Experience

Ship stats are largely subjective evaluations that you can use to compare various ship traits against other ships.

• Cool 1

[PELTS]
Beta Testers
2,111 posts
28,760 battles
16 minutes ago, Big_Ape said:

What is base xp and how do you get it, plus can some explain to me how to understand ship stats and to know what is good and bad about a ship.

Screenshot_10.png

Here is a very good explanation of base xp and base credit earnings:  https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Base_Earnings#Earning_Credits_and_Experience

I would compare the actual ship stats you are interested in since those summary numbers shown in your post aren't necessarily that accurate in terms of what makes for "good".

• Cool 1

[BTLST]
Members
125 posts
4,165 battles

Base XP is just the base value on which your final XP in a battle is calculated. So it's not a ship stat, it's a battle stat. Check out the "Credits and XP" tab on the results screen after a battle. Base XP is the starting XP value shown for a "non-premium" account, so premium account and any flags, camos or signals are not considered.  See also: https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Base_Earnings#Base_Experience

[O_O]
Members
6,969 posts
16,974 battles

Base XP is the XP you earn for a game, and it isn't increased with flags, camo, or premium time.  The ONLY modifier to increase Base XP is a victory (the winning team gets more XP than the losing team).  There may also be a very few premium ships (Sims, Sims B) that give a bump to Base XP, but that hasn't been confirmed by WG to still be the case.  In the after battle screens, you can find your Base XP either on the Team screen, or on the Credits and XP screen (the Base XP will be shown on the left side, "without premium".  The premium time modifiers on the right side of the screen DO NOT affect Base XP.

You increase your Base XP by doing damage to enemy ships (more XP for ships higher tier than you), capping, and defending caps.  You may also get smaller bumps to Base XP by spotting enemy ships for your team, shooting down enemy aircraft, and other battle contributions.

If you click on those ship stats (Survivability, in your example above) you will open a drop down menu with more details.

Ships are very different, depending on type (cruiser, battleship, destroyer, or aircraft carrier), tier, and nationality.  Watch videos or do a bunch of reading to learn about specifics, as there are far too many ships for me to break them down for you in this post.

Edited by desmo_2

[WOLFG]
Members
11,787 posts
10,933 battles
3 minutes ago, HamptonRoads said:

Base XP is the sum of what you accomplish in a battle.  This is an UNMODIFIED number which your rewards are based. If you look at the post battle screen, your base XP will be displayed in the "Team Score" tab.  (NOTE: the experience shown in the "Personal Score" tab is your modified total.)

https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Base_Earnings#Base_Experience

Ship stats are largely subjective evaluations that you can use to compare various ship traits against other ships.

Also to note, base XP for daily missions, naval battles, directive missions, etc is based on the left side total on the team results screen (second page of the post battle results).  This is true whether you have premium time or not.

Edited by DrHolmes52

[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,824 posts
4,285 battles

The wiki link others have posted is good. But essentially BXP is your "score" in the game. Actions in battle give you BXP. Percent HP damage to enemy ships, the tier of the ships you damaged relative to your tier, caps taken or defended, kills, plane kills, and I believe spotting and potential damage all go into your BXP score. WG doesn't tell us exactly how it's calculated, but we know what affects it. Finally everyone on the winning side gets a 50% BXP bonus. This is the total you see next to your name on the results screen. All other XP is then calculated from this. Credits btw are not linked to BXP, that's an independent calculation that's more damage focused apparently. Getting more BXP is simple, play better:Smile_teethhappy:. Yeah I know, but that's mostly it. Focus on caps and good damage (not farming, burning BBs doesn't get you as much XP as chunking DDs). Also play Randoms or Ranked, BXP for Coop is much worse.

On the stats, don't use the in game ratings for each group, those are useless at best and misleading or wrong at worst. Look at the actual numbers of what your interested in and use that to compare instead.

[PVE]
Members
7,858 posts
23,833 battles
45 minutes ago, Big_Ape said:

Screenshot_10.png

BXP had been covered well by others above...as for the ship stats they max out at 100 but only T10s get 100 ratings in some categories as it's a max amount possible.

The T10 that get 100 are only certain stats...

Only T10 BBs will get a 100 survivability rating (& not all of them) as it's based on HP/torp protection/ & only BBs get that much HP & torp protection...

Only DDs will get 100 on toros as only DDs (some) have that much high damage/fast moving/quick loading torps.

Guessing only CLs will be eligible for 100 maneuverability as they generally get the best stats for that.

Etc...

It's not something to get hung up on as each ship type/nation/etc has it's own perks that get higher as you progress through the tiers & different aspects of each stat could vary to where a ship w/lower numbers may be better in a certain aspect of the stat but have overall general worse numbers than 1 you compare it to...

Best to check all of the details on each ship to get an idea & mostly useful when applying upgrades to ships to compare what you're getting to what you have.

[APES]
Members
158 posts
1,393 battles

Thanks i have looked it over in the wiki witch i have done before i understand now

[FML]
Members
4,155 posts
16,067 battles
1 minute ago, Big_Ape said:

Thanks i have looked it over in the wiki witch i have done before i understand now

Great! 

If you are looking for some resources for new players to help get started, I have copied some info below. Hope that helps!

There are a range of great resources to help new players; both on these forums and on youtube etc; I strongly encourage you to read the following: 

• How to set up your game client to get the information you need to win: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSCb96CLCs4
  • (For brand New Players - a full comprehensive guide) iChase's How to get good at World of Warships - I wish this was around when I started!
  • (For New Players) - Wargaming's 'How It Works' series that explains the game's mechanics - important to learn these as it differs to real life.
  • (For New Players looking to become Intermediate) my Ship Role Quick Reference Guide to understand how to get the best out of your ship every battle and how to deal with enemy ships of the same type. 
  • (For Intermediate players) LittleWhiteMouse's guide to How to take control of your win rate:  https://forum.worldofwarships.com/topic/75077-how-to-control-your-win-rate/
  • For players at any level who are interested in personalised feedback on a particular battle, get in touch with Lord_Zath and his replay centre - its an amazing service that you should take advantage of.  
  • You are under absolutely no obligation to spend money on this game - it is entirely free to play including at high tiers. 
    • Understanding the economics of WoWS and tips for playing as free-to-play: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDgwH2w-k7U
    • Still, if you are interested in buying a premium ship, a discussion on what premium ships are good value for newer players can be found on my New Player Guide Premium Ships for New Players.
      • The second post in this thread has some good advice on how to rapidly become a better player through teamwork and positioning - see Section 3 - its worth a read!
  • Cool 1

[APES]
Members
158 posts
1,393 battles
7 minutes ago, HamptonRoads said:

@Big_Ape, shouldn't your profile picture be some sort of simian, not a dog?

What difference does it make lol ?

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
2,513 posts

Forget all that heavy lifting about the blessed BXP.

Understand two things.

1- FTP you get a tiny amount each game, whatever it is.

2- Premium time you might get a little more than the tiny amount each game.

Members
7,122 posts
22,043 battles
2 hours ago, Big_Ape said:

plus can some explain to me how to understand ship stats and to know what is good and bad about a ship.

Any individual ship by itself has meaningless stats. Once you start to accumulate several ships in the same class and tier you then start to compare all of those stats to help you identify strengths and weaknesses.

Some big ones are range and detection, how far can you shoot, and how close can you get before being detected.

For a seemingly easy game, there is much more detail than most people ever realized, especially starting out.

• Cool 1