Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Ahskance

0.10.1 Flak Change Explanation

6 comments in this topic

[KSC]
WoWS Community Contributors
1,152 posts
12,295 battles

WarGaming got back to me and confirmed the change noted in the patch notes was in reference to the planes that flew too fast for flak to interact with. 

Some folks asked about what that meant on the stream, so I did a quick presentation over what the change is supposed to address.

Note: Language Warning - I doth do swears~

Raw video link: https://youtu.be/z1QffEN59q8

Edited by Ahskance
  • Thanks 2

[STORM]
Members
17 posts
2,559 battles

So instead they make flak hit planes when it shouldn't? And now desync the graphic to when it actually does damage?

I am having my planes blown out of the sky by *no visible flak* on the regular. I also SEE this happening when I play my Oland. I nuked three different squads of planes, and there was ZERO flak in the air visible.

Edit: After more digging, this is supposedly related to Latency. I consistently have a 30-50 ping (NA). I do notice, however, some players network manipulating (there's a few clans specifically I see it from often), and I wonder if that is why sometimes its rampantly apparent that flak is not working properly.

Edited by VincentArasin

[KSC]
1,152 posts
12,295 battles
2 hours ago, VincentArasin said:

So instead they make flak hit planes when it shouldn't? And now desync the graphic to when it actually does damage?

I am having my planes blown out of the sky by *no visible flak* on the regular. I also SEE this happening when I play my Oland. I nuked three different squads of planes, and there was ZERO flak in the air visible.

Edit: After more digging, this is supposedly related to Latency. I consistently have a 30-50 ping (NA). I do notice, however, some players network manipulating (there's a few clans specifically I see it from often), and I wonder if that is why sometimes its rampantly apparent that flak is not working properly.

I'll be honest, I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to say.

Can you try to describe the interaction in a more step by step manner?

[STORM]
Members
17 posts
2,559 battles
2 minutes ago, Ahskance said:

I'll be honest, I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to say.

Can you try to describe the interaction in a more step by step manner?

Sure.

There is a discrepancy between flak clouds not appearing, yet still doing damage. The instance I see, both receiving on my CV, and what I witness my DD doing, is the same.

Take my Oland, vs say a Lexington (to my knowledge, what CV is irrelevant. I've had this happen to me on every CV I have, including t6's. Oland is my only DD with notable AA). I can be boating along, and spot attack planes coming at me from their say, 10km range. Oland AA Is ~6km. It does not matter if I leave my AA on, allowing my flak to begin when they breach my outer AA Ring, or if I turn my AA off until they are closer than my AA ring and "surprise them". Does not matter if I am using defensive AA, or priority select. Sometimes, flak will obviously do damage to a squadron of planes, without having the visual graphic of flak. Meaning: The planes run along taking constant damage, and then spontaneously take a huge chunk or are outright destroyed. With emphasis on zero visible flak.

To the DD, they just nail a bunch of planes, and the plane damage jumps up by the thousands in one bump.

To the CV, your squad spontaneously takes thousands of damage with *zero* visual indicators of flak. HP constantly is dropping due to constant AA damage, then just plummets. 15k down to 5, or so. 

I have successfully nuked entire squadrons of planes when this happens. My highest point of damage was 19k to a FDR's bomber squad, with zero flak visible.

Obviously, its a graphics bug or something along those lines, because the damage scales properly with priority and defensive AA active vs not. It's simply a ghost shot, and is not consistent.

The patterns I have noticed when this happens as a CV, tend to be when I am confident there is a latency issue. Often times, in these games, take the Oland again for example. 6km AA. I will start taking fire at 6km, but often that Oland will not appear until I am ~4.5km away (assuming I flew straight at them). THOSE are the instances where flak appears to "ghost" more often than not.  It *consistently* happens from the same player within a game, and happens *consistently* from game to game with that same player.

I have also heard one of my clanmates remark on this happening. For reference, he is in Europe and says his ping is between 80-130.

Does that help? When I can figure out how to send working replays, I can do so. I also was going to send in a CV gameplay for commentary, unrelated

[--DA-]
Members
35 posts
1,524 battles

This change doesn't seem like it would effect me much as I never relied on speed to ignore flak anyways.  I was honestly unaware it was a thing until recently when another player told me, I just made sure to dodge the clouds and juke.  Sounds like I will be continuing to do this, those I've mostly been playing BBs atm.

[KSC]
1,152 posts
12,295 battles
4 hours ago, VincentArasin said:

Take my Oland, vs say a Lexington (to my knowledge, what CV is irrelevant. I've had this happen to me on every CV I have, including t6's. Oland is my only DD with notable AA). I can be boating along, and spot attack planes coming at me from their say, 10km range. Oland AA Is ~6km. It does not matter if I leave my AA on, allowing my flak to begin when they breach my outer AA Ring, or if I turn my AA off until they are closer than my AA ring and "surprise them". Does not matter if I am using defensive AA, or priority select. Sometimes, flak will obviously do damage to a squadron of planes, without having the visual graphic of flak. Meaning: The planes run along taking constant damage, and then spontaneously take a huge chunk or are outright destroyed. With emphasis on zero visible flak.

So firstly, whether you visually see flak while in a surface ship doesn't matter.  Any flak you do see is simply a visual prop that's placed there for representational purposes.  You are not actually seeing the real flak/placement that the CV is interacting with.  So that's just a graphical design choice by WarGaming and isn't going to be circumvented.

-----

As to the CV getting nailed by invisible flak, that is likely also a graphic/latency oriented issue.  I do stream for many hours over many days a week, and while rare occasions of "That really hit me?" happen... for the most part any flak I interact with is correctly represented in game by visuals while I'm in plane-mode.

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this