You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
QueenGaladriel

T8 Permanent Camouflage Advice

28 comments in this topic

[BURN1]
Members
8 posts
14,481 battles

If you had one T8 permanent camouflage, and could apply it to the Amagi, Azikuzi, Benson, Hipper, or Albermarle, which would you choose?

[TFFOX]
Members
1,089 posts
2,809 battles

Put it on the one you play most, therefore saving the most expendable camos

• Cool 3

[KWF]
Members
5,801 posts
7,013 battles

Strictly performance wise, Akizuki.  Strictly historicity wise, Hipper.

Edited by warheart1992
  • Cool 1

[WOLFC]
Members
2,575 posts
11,067 battles

Wait until you play them to find the one you like most, as only you can answer this question. What’s the rush?

Case in point: my terrible advice for you would be to get Hipper’s, but that’s because I’m weird and really like that ship. Most players consider her very subpar and would tar and feather me for making that suggestion.

Edited by Nevermore135
  • Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[SALVO]
Members
7,012 posts
5,525 battles

What are you looking for? performance, fun, a particular play style? are you interested in progressing the lines up to higher tiers? which one of those lines do you prefer?

[BURN1]
Members
8 posts
14,481 battles

I am playing all lines for fun, so the initial question is which of those ships immediately goes into my rotation, and the long term question is which might actually get used in PvP.

[SALVO]
Members
7,012 posts
5,525 battles
7 minutes ago, QueenGaladriel said:

I am playing all lines for fun, so the initial question is which of those ships immediately goes into my rotation, and the long term question is which might actually get used in PvP.

Akizuki is objectively the strongest for PvP, Amagi is OK, Benson just average but nice to play support DD, Hipper is fun (as fun as a T8 cruiser can be) but not really easy to have a meaningful contribution if you get uptiered, Albemarle is very squishy, try it at your own risk.

• Cool 1

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
3,920 posts
11 minutes ago, QueenGaladriel said:

after 12k games which do you play the most?  only you can answer that, regardless of which one is "best" if you don't enjoy playing it, the perma camo does you no favours

[GLF]
Members
1,151 posts
18,148 battles

Put it on whatever one you regrind the line on the most.  IMO, regrinding lines should really be chosen based on what t8-9 ships you enjoy the most since that is the longest part of any RB regrind.   Dump the T8 perma on that line unless its one that already has ample permacamos like biz.  

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
23,388 posts
17,330 battles
36 minutes ago, QueenGaladriel said:

I have none of them at this point, but have them all unlocked, and the resources to buy one. Advice appreciated.

Play a dozen battles in each at least. At the end of that, which one do you most want to keep playing until you drop from exhaustion? That's the one that gets it.

Ask yourself: "If there were no such thing as snowflakes and I didn't have an incentive to keep these ships around for the steel/anniversary camos, which one of them would I put it on? Which one will I continue to play the most when I've worked past it and moved on to Tier 9?"

• Cool 1

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
29,865 posts
25,782 battles
1 hour ago, QueenGaladriel said:

If you had one T8 permanent camouflage, and could apply it to the Amagi, Azikuzi, Benson, Hipper, or Albermarle, which would you choose?

If one is going to buy Perma-Camo for stats, none of them.  I would not waste the resources because the bonus for Tier VIII and below Perma-Camo is terrible compared to the consumable camo you acquire in abundance.

https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Camouflage#Permanent_Camouflage

As you can see, -10% servicing cost and +50% XP is worthless compared to what you'll see for Tier IX-X Perma-Camo or a bunch of consumable camo that for your 12.6k Battles, you should have an abundance of.

There are a few Tier VIII and below Perma-Camo that have abnormally higher bonus to them than what's typical.  They're an additional, separate purchase from the ship, however.  Examples:

VIII Prinz Eugen Adler Camo

• -3% to surface detectability range.
  • +4% to maximum dispersion of shells fired by the enemy at your ship.
  • -10% to the cost of ship's post-battle service.
  • +10% credits earned in the battle.
  • +50% experience earned in the battle.
  • +50% Commander experience earned in the battle.

uNps4PL.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

VII Ashitaka, VIII Kii, and VIII Roma Makoto Kobayashi Camo (It's actually Tier X Perma-Camo bonus)

• -3% to surface detectability range.
  • +4% to maximum dispersion of shells fired by the enemy at your ship.
  • -50% to the cost of ship's post-battle service.
  • +20% credits earned in the battle.
  • +100% experience earned in the battle.

Ashitaka

OD02DvQ.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

Kii

bd311b4a-997e-11e7-9c45-d89d6715223c.jpg

Roma

oj0kM3PWb5zGvJmXAhFEWZM_j8XBJXJnWNua-wkn

I used to buy a lot of Perma-Camo for a lot of Tier VIII and below ships over the course of my years with the game but have slowed down on that.  The returns just aren't there compared to Tier IX-X.  Nowadays if I buy Perma-Camo for below Tier IX, it's purely for the visuals, historical accuracy, etc.

While on the subject of Makoto Kobayashi Perma-Camo, there was one released for Yamato a while back and it cost a pretty penny for it.  Same bonus as typical Tier X Perma-Camo.

v5br7ecp42p21.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1

[KREW]
[KREW]
Members
477 posts
20,732 battles

Sounds like it's one of the linkable camo's, I'd put it on Akizuki.
But as others have said link it to the ship you play the most. 

• Cool 1

[SALTY]
Beta Testers
684 posts
8,030 battles
2 hours ago, Nevermore135 said:

Wait until you play them to find the one you like most, as only you can answer this question. What’s the rush?

Case in point: my terrible advice for you would be to get Hipper’s, but that’s because I’m weird and really like that ship. Most players consider her very subpar and would tar and feather me for making that suggestion.

Here, let me give you the scolding you so richly deserve...

Hipper is not just subpar, it's a worse version of a terrible ship (PE).

Crap piled on top of crap results in

download (1).jpg

[A-I-M]
Members
3,862 posts
14,886 battles
15 minutes ago, Nevermore135 said:

Wait until you play them to find the one you like most, as only you can answer this question.

^^^This right here.^^^

You need to determine which one you will play the most, particularly which one will hold your interest the most after you’re done grinding it to the next ship. Reasons:

1. We live in an era of abundance of cheap single-use camos that give better XP than permacamos. The permacamos slow the grinds down.

2. Because of #1 above, the best use of a permacamo is to use them post-grind, to free up the high-yield free camos for going onto ships with active grinds.

• Cool 1

[SGSS]
Members
5,763 posts
3 hours ago, QueenGaladriel said:

Hipper.

I would regrind the German but I have non prem cammo for the..

Germans are good.

[SGSS]
Members
5,763 posts
2 hours ago, AnimaL21 said:

Put it on whatever one you regrind the line on the most.  IMO, regrinding lines should really be chosen based on what t8-9 ships you enjoy the most since that is the longest part of any RB regrind.   Dump the T8 perma on that line unless its one that already has ample permacamos like biz.  

Yes.

I just got free t9 link cammo from dockyard.  Now all my US cruiser have prem camo.  

Regrinding go so much better.

[SGSS]
Members
5,763 posts
2 hours ago, Nevermore135 said:

I like the German line.  Solid top to bottom....well there is t4:)

[GLF]
Members
1,151 posts
18,148 battles
1 hour ago, jags_domain said:

Yes.

I just got free t9 link cammo from dockyard.  Now all my US cruiser have prem camo.  

Same here.  I always regrind french BB and now with the dockyard t9 camo, all of them have permacamo's.    Its a more expensive line, but I can tolerate it more than other lines.  

I only put my permacamos on BBs though... you get the most square inches of paint for your money.  Minnesota needed a whole tanker truck of paint with all that superstructure.  WG lost paint money on that deal. 

Edited by AnimaL21

[_BDA_]
Members
491 posts
7,911 battles
4 hours ago, Nevermore135 said:

I like Hipper.

[SALTY]
Beta Testers
684 posts
8,030 battles
32 minutes ago, michael_zahnle said:

I like Hipper.

You have the right to be wrong.

[FLTF1]
Members
287 posts
7,864 battles
On 2/16/2021 at 2:37 PM, QueenGaladriel said:

I already chose Amagi, put infernal on her.
Also remember that you might want to reset a branch to get Research Bureau points. In this case, it's better to put permacamos on most ships of that branch.

Members
2,069 posts
12,694 battles
On 2/16/2021 at 12:07 PM, Kartaugh said:

Here, let me give you the scolding you so richly deserve...

Hipper is not just subpar, it's a worse version of a terrible ship (PE).

Crap piled on top of crap results in

download (1).jpg

Hipper is actually a decent choice for 1v1 brawls due to its hydro and insane yolo torp potential.