Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Noworriesderpy1

For PVE Only FDR or Somers ?

10 comments in this topic

[BEA5T]
Members
547 posts
17,289 battles

As a COOP main I am torn at this point whether to suck it up and just go down the long winding road to get the FDR ( Short by over 6K Steel) or grab the Somers being it will be no longer available in about 30 days.

So the question becomes for all you COOP "Flag Ranked"  that have either and or both which one ? 

Edited by Noworriesderpy1
word

[PVE]
Members
13,405 posts
28,077 battles
5 minutes ago, Noworriesderpy1 said:

As a COOP main I am torn at this point whether to suck it up and just go down the long winding road to get the FDR ( Short by over 6K Steel) or grab the Somers being it will be no long available in 30 days.

So the question becomes for all you COOP "Flag Ranked"  that have either and or both which one ? 

From a simple mode perspective Somers is the better Co-op ship. DD's are the most OP class in Co-op and CV's the most UP due to the various aspects of the mode (that I don't need to tell you about obviously as you play it). So if you want the one that will perform best for you it is the DD.

With that said, I personally will be going with FDR. It is a more unique ship and currently the only Premium T10 CV. I wonder how long before it goes away too (maybe when that new T10 KM CV comes out with the skip bombers?).

Don't have either so can't give personal experience. Just explaining my thought process. I could get Somers now. I am 400 some Steel from FDR. My decision is FDR even if the ship is not the better of the 2 for Co-op.

Edited by AdmiralThunder
  • Cool 2
  • Haha 1

[T-D-M]
Members
68 posts
18,501 battles

I took the Somers after 5 years of grinding for steel. I agree that the tier 10 FDR is rarer but I really like US DD's so it works for me. Will try harder for the FDR in the next five years. :)

• Thanks 1

[ARGSY]
Members
23,322 posts
17,285 battles
5 minutes ago, Noworriesderpy1 said:

As a COOP main I am torn at this point whether to suck it up and just go down the long winding road to get the FDR ( Short by over 6K Steel) or grab the Somers being it will be no long available in 30 days.

FDR has a twofold issue with her rocket fighters:

1) They don't have a CAP/scout consumable.

2) The run-in to attack is abnormally long. By the time you trip over an unspotted destroyer, you're unable to attack her.

In addition, the obligatory time between attacks is something like 25 seconds, and the planes are incredibly slow for the tier.

My call is that she is an INCREDIBLY inflexible and un-versatile ship for co-op, and I would rather have any other premium CV. I fear that Thunder is setting himself up for disappointment, but I've seen him say enough about the FDR to know that he's aware of what he's letting himself in for.

Conversely, I have heard it said - rather loosely - that Somers is what you get if you want an American Shimakaze. The guns look beastly, but in fact the reload has been gimped to keep her under control so she's not an OP nightmare. My next chosen steel ship is Plymouth, unless they make Vampire 2 for steel.

• Cool 2

[FRR]
Members
859 posts
30 minutes ago, Noworriesderpy1 said:

As a COOP main I am torn at this point whether to suck it up and just go down the long winding road to get the FDR ( Short by over 6K Steel) or grab the Somers being it will be no longer available in about 30 days.

Somers. You'll sink more ships.

• Cool 1

Members
424 posts
15,658 battles

I'm of the same quandary, in that I have around 32K of steel when I looked last evening (from dailies, snowflakes, and the DY event), which is almost enough for FDR (I think I'm about 200-300 short), but plenty for Sommers or Plymouth, or Bourgogne, or most of the others in the armory (not sure if a coupon can be applied or not on any of those either).  @Admiral_Thunder, @Ensign_Cthulhu, @M_113, and @Hukom make some good points re Sommers...but I'm still waffling.

• Haha 1

[CO-OP]
Members
2,799 posts
28,330 battles
11 minutes ago, chrisope said:

I'm of the same quandary, in that I have around 32K of steel when I looked last evening (from dailies, snowflakes, and the DY event), which is almost enough for FDR (I think I'm about 200-300 short), but plenty for Sommers or Plymouth, or Bourgogne, or most of the others in the armory (not sure if a coupon can be applied or not on any of those either).  @Admiral_Thunder, @Ensign_Cthulhu, @M_113, and @Hukom make some good points re Sommers...but I'm still waffling.

Of the 4 ships listed, I would still go with the Somers (for all of the reasons already posted.)  If you're a battleship main, the Bourgogne is a really fun ship.  The Plymouth seems like a nerfed version of the Minotaur, but if you like RN CLs then this might suit you (just not my cup of tea.)  Somers is also the cheapest of the 4, so save a little more steel for one of the others or future steel ship.

• Cool 2

[PVE]
Members
13,405 posts
28,077 battles
1 hour ago, chrisope said:

With the coupon, which you can use on Steel ships, FDR is just 24,500.

EDIT - HMMMM??? I have checked FDR's price with the coupon a few times and it was always 24,500. Now it is suddenly 24,750??? Strange. That means instead of being just 403 Steel away I am 653 away. :Smile_amazed::Smile_child::Smile_sad:

Edited by AdmiralThunder
  • Cool 1

[TFFOX]
Members
1,089 posts
2,801 battles

Buy somers. Thing's basically an American Shimakaze, and its main weakness (AA) is irrelevant in PvE because bot CV's can't hit something a foot from their face. 

Edited by AdmiralFox08

[FEM]
[FEM]
Members
51 posts
120 battles

The FDR makes for some exciting high-damage drops in co-op (an obvious training ground for pvp battles) but as it has been said, the extremely long cooldown between attacks makes it pretty useless in co-op. It doesn't have enough time to farm.

Sign in to follow this