Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Zenbutcher

Feel Sorry for those who bought the Perth

33 comments in this topic

[DOG]
Members
36 posts
15,289 battles

I got mine in a container by luck about 3 or 4 years ago.  For those that bought one just before the re-launch of captain skills and massive changes you really got hosed.  I had 19 captain skill level and have tried every combo.  Ship can't detect any other ships at any distance.  DDs disappear at 4KM!!!  Once BBs lock on to you, who naturally you can't see you die in a single salvo.  If I would have paid for the Perth I would be super pissed and demand my money back.

• Cool 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 2

Members
4,147 posts
44,248 battles
10 minutes ago, Zenbutcher said:

I got mine in a container by luck about 3 or 4 years ago.  For those that bought one just before the re-launch of captain skills and massive changes you really got hosed.  I had 19 captain skill level and have tried every combo.  Ship can't detect any other ships at any distance.  DDs disappear at 4KM!!!  Once BBs lock on to you, who naturally you can't see you die in a single salvo.  If I would have paid for the Perth I would be super pissed and demand my money back.

I don't think the skills rework is completely set in stone and I agree cruisers in general got a raw deal.

I play all ships. To be honest, I am not really good at cruisers, but I do see the perspective having played the ship type.

While the free period is set to expire soon, I suggest using skills you know will work and enhance survivability, stealth, and maneuverability.

Obviously, you have to trade off something. In terms of weapons on Perth, you have to ask yourself if you excel at using the torpedoes better or the guns better.

Most players choose guns with just a slight enhance to torps. Mainly damage, reload is seldom relevant.

Enhanced smoke and other consumables seems to work well.

Perth is not a aggressive ship that takes point but more of that cinnamon bun wearing princess type ship shooting from cover that slips away undetected if it gets in trouble.

Granted, under the Dead Eye meta it is in danger .

But if stats get out of hand and major top players make this face more 😭 , then WG will start to look at the numbers and make increment adjustments over time.

Resets of skills was not perfect when they did it the first time and it was adjusted back then, so this is just a much more specific change to DD, CA, CL, CB, BB, and CV.

Even a Perth needs addressing if a player can't enjoy the ship.

But it all starts with participating.

Unfortunately, for me, I have to wait for power to be restored. We got a blackout and my Atomic Generators were being overhauled at the same time as the storm hit.

It's a good thing that fair haired dude is more worried about his hairline than attacking my castle 🏰. Or he would have some Hawkmen try it by now.

*Throws another lizardman on the 🔥.

I hear they taste like chicken 🐔.

• Cool 1
  • Haha 1
  • Boring 1

[PPNA2]
Members
74 posts
19,680 battles

Agree with Ensign. Play mine daily great coin/ fxp farming ship. I've had outstanding results in her before and after capt re-work.

• Cool 1

[RLGN]
Members
15,689 posts
27,443 battles
1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Either you never learned to drive it correctly in all that time and you're making every possible mistake, or you're lying your aft off. 

This?

‘Not being able to spot at 4k’ and ‘Perth’ are not things I would have ever expected to be mentioned together.

• Cool 1

[WOLFC]
Members
2,606 posts
11,119 battles
12 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

This?

‘Not being able to spot at 4k’ and ‘Perth’ are not things I would have ever expected to be mentioned together.

My guess is that he is using his crawling smoke and doesn’t understand how that affects spotting. Either he’s maneuvering while trailing it behind him (moving more than 1/4 speed) and had his LOS blocked by his own smoke, or he is in his smoke and his teammates lost sight of the DD.

Edited by Nevermore135
  • Thanks 1

Members
7,122 posts
22,130 battles

In the few miraculous times that ranked has been tier 6, the Perth is a standout.

• Cool 2

[WAP]
Members
476 posts
24,962 battles

Perth is great, its an offensive dynamo, you can pretty much use special modules in all slots, the extended range while using spotter is a must.

Edited by shoy07

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Banned
16,985 posts

It's a cruiser.

It got screwed by the skill rebork. 

Just not as screwed as some other cruisers. 

• Cool 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Meh 1

Members
2,070 posts
12,694 battles
6 minutes ago, KilljoyCutter said:

It's a cruiser.

I would argue it got buffed since its crawling smoke now lasts longer and it can benefit from heavy HE without caring about the concealment penalty but if you think BOS & FP were more important on a smoke cruiser then so be it.

• Cool 2

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Banned
16,985 posts
6 minutes ago, Rouxi said:

I would argue it got buffed since its crawling smoke now lasts longer and it can benefit from heavy HE without caring about the concealment penalty but if you think BOS & FP were more important on a smoke cruiser then so be it.

Still don't care about FP on any ship, rarely have more than one or two fires on a ship anyway, certainly not often enough to spend 4 points on a skill.  

It's losing PM that hurts.  

[SALVO]
Members
3,108 posts
7,109 battles
2 hours ago, Zenbutcher said:

I would make a big post saying how your wrong and that the Perth is a great ship. But too often in misguided posts like yours the OP never comes back to read replies. So I won’t bother giving tips unless you show up again in the thread. 

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[O_O]
Members
6,979 posts
17,014 battles
3 hours ago, Zenbutcher said:

:cap_wander_2::cap_wander:

:Smile_facepalm:

"DDs disappear at 4KM!!!"  Uh, you do know that the distance at which you will lose sight of a DD has nothing to do with the ship YOU are in and everything to do with the DD, right?  I mean, after 14,500 battles, you do understand how detection works in this game...don't you???  Hiding in smoke, shooting from smoke, using your spotter plane to spot for you once in smoke (if no allies are doing for you), red DD's spotting you for their red BB's...all stuff I am SURE you know by now?

Edited by desmo_2

[ARC]
Members
1,072 posts
11,497 battles
3 hours ago, Zenbutcher said:

You are not supposed to spot DDs at more than 6-7km in any cruiser that doesn't have radar. If a DD disappeared at 4 km or shorter, you are not using hydro or it simply ended. 

Perth is one of those ships that are still strong, and the skill rework didn't nerf it. PM is not there, but we can do with Last Stand, at least for rudder and engine.

I have both Perth and Mysore, and Perth is definitely the useful one. Mysore has limited potential and her uptiering is poor. She is somewhat more durable thanks to the heal, but I feel underwhelmed by her performance

Edited by hanesco

[ARGSY]
Members
23,461 posts
17,416 battles
20 minutes ago, desmo_2 said:

"DDs disappear at 4KM!!!"  Uh, you do know that the distance at which you will lose sight of a DD has nothing to do with the ship YOU are in and everything to do with the DD, right? 

I think he means when he's in smoke, which speaks volumes as to his awareness of when he should be using it and when not.

If he DOESN'T mean when he's in smoke, then he should be able to pick up any unsmoked DD at 4km - and in that case his post is a flat-out confabulation.

• Cool 1

[SIM]
Members
5,813 posts
9,272 battles

It sounds as if you don’t know/never knew how to play the ship, and you’re blaming the skill rework for your struggles. Do some research on how smoke works in this game, it’ll sort it out for you. 

• Boring 1

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
29,906 posts
25,782 battles

Statistically Perth is doing better than most of her Tier VI Cruiser peers right now, Premium or Tech Tree.

That said, Perth was always centered around 3 things:  Consumables, Stealth, IFHE

Even in the old skill system you never built for Survival Build.

1.  Perth with Stealth Build is very sneaky:  8.8km.

2.  Perth lives and dies on her consumables.  You need to improve her Spotting Aircraft & Smoke Generator consumables.  Without these tools, Perth is extremely vulnerable with a squishy hull and 12.81km gun range.  In the world of BB Dead Eye that's fatal to engage without Smoke or Spotting Aircraft going.

3.  Without IFHE she only has 25mm HE Pen.  There's tons of Tier VI-VII Battleships she'll encounter with 26mm deck armor, etc.  Fires?  Too RNG.

Of important note is special upgrade Smoke Generator Mod 1 for Slot 3.  It increases the active time of her Smoke consumable by 30%, which is absolutely crucial.

For 19pts, this is what I would do for her in today's game.

You do not, ever, EVER, EVER play Perth like you would Helena, Budyonny, or some other Cruiser out there, open water gunfighting with other ships.  If you try that you will get smashed into a million pieces and be someone else's XP / Credit Bag to farm.

STEALTH

CONSUMABLES

Discipline to know when it's time to stop firing, use your stealth and GTFO of the area before you get deleted.

If you don't emphasize this for Perth, you are going to get rekt.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 2

[ARGSY]
Members
688 posts
10,917 battles

Nope. All CAs got a hit with the rework but used correctly Perth is an OP ship. This is a ship that rewards the correct use of consumables. Walking smoke is one of the deadliest tools you can hope to have.  

[WKY04]
Members
3,884 posts
24,992 battles

One of the strongest cruisers at its tier. 

Members
0 posts
16 hours ago, Zenbutcher said:

For those that bought one just before the re-launch of captain skills and massive changes you really got hosed.

How so? I don't see how any of the changes impacted Perth at all. The skill change that hurt it most was the IFHE change that happened a while back.

[CDOH]
Members
792 posts
8,261 battles
16 hours ago, KilljoyCutter said:

It's a cruiser.

The Deadeye meta has really impacted the Cruiser class not the Cruiser skill tree.   I find it easier to push up in cruisers such as Wooster and Des moine.  But when i get there there is rarely anyone to shoot.  When i get spotted by the never ending waves of Planes,  i just get smacked by over matching AP or HE spam from across the map. 

Edited by Rothgar_57

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Banned
16,985 posts
7 hours ago, Rothgar_57 said:

The Deadeye meta has really impacted the Cruiser class not the Cruiser skill tree.   I find it easier to push up in cruisers such as Wooster and Des moine.  But when i get there there is rarely anyone to shoot.  When i get spotted by the never ending waves of Planes,  i just get smacked by over matching AP or HE spam from across the map. 

Deadeye is as much perception as it is reality -- players aren't advancing because they perceive an increased threat.  Those who do advance become isolated targets for all the ships hanging back, regardless of how much more accurate the fire from BBs using Deadeye really is.  

As for the cruiser skill tree, the loss of PM and BOS makes it easier for a cruiser to end up in a bad way if it does take fire, further exacerbating the problem.  Lose of engine or rudder while trying to cross no-mans-land results in an even worse time than otherwise. 

[CDOH]
Members
792 posts
8,261 battles
5 hours ago, KilljoyCutter said:

Deadeye is as much perception as it is reality -- players aren't advancing because they perceive an increased threat.  Those who do advance become isolated targets for all the ships hanging back, regardless of how much more accurate the fire from BBs using Deadeye really is.  

As for the cruiser skill tree, the loss of PM and BOS makes it easier for a cruiser to end up in a bad way if it does take fire, further exacerbating the problem.  Lose of engine or rudder while trying to cross no-mans-land results in an even worse time than otherwise. 

I agree but Deadeye does make tighter shell groupings.  More of my shells are hitting cruisers when deadeye is active.  Couple Tighter shell groupings with cruiser isolation as you stated above, roll in our favorite Overpowered  CV cancer and you have The T10 camping meta.  

[FML]
Members
4,160 posts
16,067 battles

I have always preferred the additional survivability of Leander - particularly it’s heal - than the HE and fire potential of the Perth. But I’m pretty sure it’s because I am playing the Perth badly rather than the ship itself. 

[NEMO]
Members
168 posts
12,499 battles

Perth was a pretty good ship during the submarine event, all captained up anyway.

Sign in to follow this