You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
dechion

Ship picks for Ranked

52 comments in this topic

[WOLFX]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,164 posts
4,311 battles

I thought briefly about making a poll. But it would have to include everything tier 8 and up (plus bacon), so just figured I'd ask.

What ship(s) are you planning on sailing in ranked this season? 

I'm likely looking at Fletcher if I stick with DDs or possibly Seattle or Buffalo if I go with CL/CA. I'm also likely just staying in bronze league, so I'm not looking at my tier 10s. If I did, I'd likely sail Gearing and Salem. 

I had thought about Alaska, but forgot to buy her this weekend. Probably not a good idea to learn a new ship in ranked anyhow, lol.

Hows about you fine folks? What is your go-to ship for competitive modes?

[TORCH]
Members
697 posts
17,989 battles

This is going to depend a LOT on...a lot of things.  Depends on the maps, and the battle mode, of course.  It also depends heavily on personal preferences, and what ships you have available.

I'm a cruiser guy.  Of the ships in my port, my preferences are:

T8 - Cleveland.  Have also had some good results with Chapayev.

T9-  Roon

T10 - Hindenberg

[SALVO]
Members
7,102 posts
5,569 battles

Whatever I need to grind at T8. Ranked, even more Bronze, is not a competitive mode imo. 

• Cool 3
  • Meh 1

[WOLFC]
Members
3,200 posts
12 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

Whatever I need to grind at T8. ...

^^^ This.

• Cool 1

Members
7,122 posts
22,139 battles

I wish they put quotas on ships as well as limits. Seeing 4 Mass each game at tier 8 and 5 Thunderer's  and 3 Petros and Stalin's at tier 10 is boring as hell.

[RCNW6]
Members
425 posts

This will be my first time trying ranked, so I don't expect to go beyond Bronze League:

Tier VIII : Benson (DD), Cleveland (CL), Baltimore (CA)

Tier IX : Z-46 (DD), Neptune (CL), Buffalo (CA)

Happy Sailing! 

• Cool 1

[WOLFX]
1,164 posts
4,311 battles

I don't plan to go beyond bronze either, and honestly it never occurred to me to grind ships there. I do have a few lines at tier 8 that could use some work.

[-VT-]
Members
811 posts
35,894 battles

Lots of elite captain xp to grind.

Hiya, Kidd, shall we dance?

[WOLFC]
Members
3,200 posts
7 minutes ago, dechion said:

I don't plan to go beyond bronze either, and honestly it never occurred to me to grind ships there. I do have a few lines at tier 8 that could use some work.

Not just the ships ... the real reward is adding another level or 2 to your Captains, especially the 19 pointers.  Didn't take many games at all to take my Mass captain to 20.

[WOLFC]
Members
2,606 posts
11,119 battles

I’m going to play whatever I feel like in ranked. IMO picking ships you like and enjoy playing is more effective than trying to bring a “meta” ship.

In Bronze I will likely be playing a lot of tier 8 German cruisers, rotating my one 21pt captain through Hipper, Mainz, and Prinz Eugen to grind ECXP. If/when I decide to move to Silver, I’ll likely be grinding Buffalo, Riga, and MN.

Edited by Nevermore135
  • Cool 1

[-VT-]
Members
1,185 posts
28,904 battles

Some one mentioned this earlier, if they would put an cap of one of any ship on a side that would be very good IMO

[FORM]
Members
2,237 posts
13,275 battles

Just to sidetrack... do we have ANY idea what's in the ranked crates? 

[SAINT]
[SAINT]
Members
1,597 posts
18,571 battles

I only play Bronze, because the rewards are simply not worth the additional grind. With that in mind I play the Odin. With the smaller maps this ship can be a beast. Accurate enough guns, solid secondaries, reasonable AA plus a fighter, and torpedoes for those unlucky enough who want to knife fight.  

Also bacon since the OP mentioned it; bacon makes everything better. 

Edited by Jolly_Rodgered

[S0L0]
[S0L0]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
4,829 posts
7,548 battles

Enterprise or Kaga, if I choose to go the easy route.  I could do Lexington, but need the credits always.   Musashi,  Kronsdaht, or Alaska for the credits.   I'll probably research Yugumo, sometime this next few days..  I may try it some.. if I don't feel too much like I'm gimping my team.   The IJN DD lines seem to me like they lack consistency of playstyle in their lines.   So I have no idea what I'll be getting into with that?     

[A-I-M]
Members
3,880 posts
14,916 battles
3 hours ago, dechion said:

I had thought about Alaska, but forgot to buy her this weekend.

It’ll still be there tonight.

Somebody cue up the old Kenny Rogers song “We’ve Got Tonight” (Yeah, yeah, Bob Seger, blah, blah, blah...but Kenny Rogers had Sheena Easton on this one)

[WOLFX]
1,164 posts
4,311 battles
5 minutes ago, MannyD_of_The_Sea said:

It’ll still be there tonight.

Something to think about for sure. I've also heard that the heavier cruisers like Alaska had really taken a beating on the captain skill rework. 

[SALVO]
Members
7,102 posts
5,569 battles
34 minutes ago, TheArc said:

Just to sidetrack... do we have ANY idea what's in the ranked crates? 

Yeah, the rewards are listed in the news page (too lazy/busy to track the link). They are tasty, iirc a bunch of FXP, some flags, some coal and I think some dubs too.

Edited by ArIskandir

[FORM]
Members
2,237 posts
13,275 battles
8 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

Yeah, the rewards are listed in the news page (too lazy/busy to track the link). They are tasty, iirc a bunch of FXP, some flags, some coal and I think some dubs too.

Ahhh, yup. Tnx. Img link - https://wows-wowsp-global.gcdn.co/media/ceph-image/f4195a64-6c3e-11eb-95ad-8cdcd4b147d4.jpg

News Link: https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/general-news/ranked-battles-2/ 

[WOLFC]
Members
2,606 posts
11,119 battles
4 hours ago, dechion said:

I had thought about Alaska, but forgot to buy her this weekend.

38 minutes ago, dechion said:

Something to think about for sure. I've also heard that the heavier cruisers like Alaska had really taken a beating on the captain skill rework. 

Yeah, 60s fire duration on such a large hull with no way to mitigate it with captain skills is rough.

If you have the free xp I would still consider grabbing AK tonight. She’s still a decent ship and I would not be shocked if CBs eventually get 45s fire duration like Graf Spee in the new post-rework environment.

Edited by Nevermore135

[NOVUM]
Members
120 posts
5,567 battles

Last season my only T8s were Tallinn, a new non-upgraded Baltimore, and Kansas. I'm bad at Kansas so I played Tallinn and grinded the Baltimore. Then I got Albemarle and grinded that one too. I stayed in Bronze the whole season.

For this season, I now have Cleveland so I'll be playing that along with the other cruisers. I also have Georgia (my only T9 ship) but I still haven't figured out what kind of build to use with her since the reboot.

If I somehow accidentally rank out of Bronze I guess I'll use Thunderer (like everyone else!) since that's my only T10 ship.

[A-I-M]
Members
3,880 posts
14,916 battles
Just now, dechion said:

It’s all true.

Shoot, if I put a high-point captain with unused points on a cruiser, the skill selections, beyond a point, are like the 1950’s description of television programming:

”A vast wasteland.”

There’s nothing that makes me say, “I gotta have THIS!”

[WOLFX]
1,164 posts
4,311 battles

The more I look into it the more I think Alaska may not be for me. I seem to have the most fun in quicker ships with shorter reloads. Not a big fan of battleships, and even heavy cruisers seem a little sluggish to me. (Except Salem. Shes awesome). Alaska likely leans a bit towards the BB side, at least based on what I'm reading/watching.

[SALVO]
Members
7,102 posts
5,569 battles
55 minutes ago, BitCrushed said:

If I somehow accidentally rank out of Bronze (...)

That's like saying I accidentally cheated on my wife/girlfriend