You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
DevilD0g

Carrier Rocket Planes Need a Buff to balance them.

34 comments in this topic

[RAN]
[RAN]
Members
706 posts
10,039 battles

Yes  you  heard me right, carrier rocket planes need a buff.  But not what you think.  For carrier players it is extremely frustrating to take off with your carrier rocket planes and then  have no maximum power as it runs out straight away.

This is something I tested on Langley then on Midway and its the same across the board. First of all distance from Carrier after take off with finger on W key till maximum power runs out.  Not even one square in distance.

Below  you see first for Langley and second pic for Midway. Note the distance from the stationary carrier to the island.

powerRL.jpg.fd17201c1a70c77d263910e7e5c346dd.jpgpowerRM.jpg.6687c6dd8aabe01ef4e3e602e0d826b8.jpg

Next we see Torpedo bombers, first Langley then Midaway.  Note the distance for the Midway torp bombers to the Island and compare to rocket planes above.  Langley nearly one square above and two squares distance, below. Midway, close to the same distance.

powerTL.jpg.2ed5821dcf9ee5075a6e2455d595472c.jpgpowerTM.jpg.2c190b5d42b5a53640451bb56837ab36.jpg

Bombers have the same longevity as torp bombers, first Langley then Midway.  No need to show bombers if they are the same distance.  At times this forces  Carrier to use speed boost to make up time/distance as the default maximum initial speed is sub standard compared with other carrier plane types, when they don't need to.

This is a carrier thing only and its just something that should be done for balancing with the aircraft and given that US aircraft are particularly slow, it would assist with that.

I havent tested this with other navy carriers but I'm sure its the same as that's the programming of it.

Their maximum speed time needs to be balanced so that all aircraft have the same time at maximum speed.

Note well "  Its interesting to note that Midway bombers and torpedo bombers have the same speed that is slower than the rocket planes but they are allowed to go longer at their maximum speed than the rocket planes are and percentage wise 200% longer, which doesnt make sense.  This needs to be corrected.

But that's Wargaming I guess.

Edited by DevilD0g
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Boring 2
  • Meh 22

Members
2,420 posts
52 battles

Let me get this straight, you want rockets to have the same boost characteristics as TBs and DBs, right?

...Why?

• Cool 1

Members
2,069 posts
12,694 battles
15 minutes ago, El2aZeR said:

Let me get this straight, you want rockets to have the same boost characteristics as TBs and DBs, right?

...Why?

He wants to blap DD even sooner.

[RAN]
[RAN]
Members
706 posts
10,039 battles
26 minutes ago, El2aZeR said:

...Why?

Why not ?

To be able to have the same time on maximum power as torpedo aircraft and bombers on take off and why not !

Edited by DevilD0g
  • Cool 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Meh 3

[Y0L0W]
Beta Testers
353 posts
8,971 battles

The speed of planes and their boost were nerfed for a reason

1. to give players more time at the start of the game so there not nuked in spawn
  2. so AA has time to do some damage before the planes have attacked and left the area
  • Cool 1

[TWFT]
Members
1,447 posts
40,262 battles

So you play a ship that all ready can:

Do damage with out taking damage

Remain unspotted most of a match

Not have to use as much information to aim and hit a target like a gun has to

Run the entire map with out a counter

And now you think the rest of the player base that calls you "Sky cancer" and "Click boom coward" will agree you need some sort of buff to make your fun in ruining a match easier for you.  I think you are playing the wrong game and I don't think you will get to many that agree with you, I sure as hell don't.

• Cool 11
  • Meh 1

[KWF]
Members
5,806 posts
7,013 battles

And I would like Halland torpedoes that break the sound barrier. 

Just because I want something doesn't mean it's balanced or needed.

Besides, don't rocket planes have a higher base speed, meaning they will be always quicker on average?

Members
2,420 posts
52 battles
2 hours ago, DevilD0g said:

Why not ?

To be able to have the same time on maximum power as torpedo aircraft and bombers on take off and why not !

And why would you want that? You know it also takes a lot longer for DB/TB boost to regenerate which would actually diminish the performance of rocket planes?

[KSC]
WoWS Community Contributors
1,152 posts
12,295 battles
3 hours ago, DevilD0g said:

Why not ?

You're forgetting the advantages that Rocket Planes have:

Excepting US tech-tree Rockets, Rocket Planes can 90 degree turn during the prep phase of their attack using a down-throttled engine.

Rockets get +40 knots/-20 knots engine responsiveness, other types get +30/-15 (excepting IJN and possibly German)

Rockets accelerate/decelerate  very quickly, where torps and bombs often ramp up to their maximum/minimum speeds.

Rockets are expected to overfly hard to spot destroyers (excepting British rockets), so limiting speed reduction aids in causing an overshoot followed by an attack turn (often blind if no Patrol Fighters are dropped to spot)

Rockets are often used as an initial wave for spotting and Destroyer harass.  Additional boost would make for earlier spotting.  While the difference is likely in the 5-10 second range, it's still something some consider too early as is.

I realize it might be nice for the sake of consistency across the types, but I don't really see the "need" for the change.

• Cool 1

[CAAT]
Members
1,033 posts
4,626 battles
9 hours ago, DevilD0g said:

Yes  you  heard me right, carrier rocket planes need a buff.  But not what you think.  For carrier players it is extremely frustrating to take off with your carrier rocket planes and then  have no maximum power as it runs out straight away.

This is something I tested on Langley then on Midway and its the same across the board. First of all distance from Carrier after take off with finger on W key till maximum power runs out.  Not even one square in distance.

Below  you see first for Langley and second pic for Midway. Note the distance from the stationary carrier to the island.

powerRL.jpg.fd17201c1a70c77d263910e7e5c346dd.jpgpowerRM.jpg.6687c6dd8aabe01ef4e3e602e0d826b8.jpg

Next we see Torpedo bombers, first Langley then Midaway.  Note the distance for the Midway torp bombers to the Island and compare to rocket planes above.  Langley nearly one square above and two squares distance, below. Midway, close to the same distance.

powerTL.jpg.2ed5821dcf9ee5075a6e2455d595472c.jpgpowerTM.jpg.2c190b5d42b5a53640451bb56837ab36.jpg

Bombers have the same longevity as torp bombers, first Langley then Midway.  No need to show bombers if they are the same distance.  At times this forces  Carrier to use speed boost to make up time/distance as the default maximum initial speed is sub standard compared with other carrier plane types, when they don't need to.

This is a carrier thing only and its just something that should be done for balancing with the aircraft and given that US aircraft are particularly slow, it would assist with that.

I havent tested this with other navy carriers but I'm sure its the same as that's the programming of it.

Their maximum speed time needs to be balanced so that all aircraft have the same time at maximum speed.

Note well "  Its interesting to note that Midway bombers and torpedo bombers have the same speed that is slower than the rocket planes but they are allowed to go longer at their maximum speed than the rocket planes are and percentage wise 200% longer, which doesnt make sense.  This needs to be corrected.

But that's Wargaming I guess.

Now I'm a bit of a newbie when it comes to CV mechanics, buuuut I was under the impression that these "rocket" planes were like, PRETTY DARN FAST in terms of maximum speed compared to torpedo bombers or dive bombers. Maybe that's probably why they are "balanced" in this way, right? But I mean let's face it, CV balance is out the window-

[RCNW6]
Members
425 posts
9 hours ago, DevilD0g said:

I'd imagine those that play only/mostly surface ships STRONGLY approve of anything that is "extremely frustrating" for Carrier Players given that Carrier Players often seem to be "extremely frustrating" to everybody else in the game.:Smile-_tongue:

• Cool 3

[JHF]
[JHF]
Members
298 posts
5,078 battles

Well, also if your holding the "W" key to boost while you are taking off it will drain it before the squadron even fully launches.  Be sure to not be boosting while taking off in rocket planes.

[-K-]
Beta Testers
5,657 posts
14,045 battles
10 hours ago, DevilD0g said:

Why not ?

Consistent engine heating across different aircraft-payload combinations is not an obvious or natural state of affairs. Thus the burden of justification is not, as you imply, on the status quo. At a minimum you need to show why changing values for consistency is not deleterious to game balance. Beyond that, most of us expect to hear a better reason for why it would be an improvement over the current state of affairs, because most of us find it intuitively acceptable that a squadron with a different aircraft-payload combination would not have the same engine performance profile.

[TIGRB]
Members
245 posts
2,699 battles

Heck no! In the first place Rockets were not used against warships in WW2. their were a couple of strikes on merchant shipping close to harbor but that's it. They were used mainly against ground troops and soft targets. In World war 1 same deal. No CV's operated against enemy fleets but stayed close to home as they were more experimental than functional at that time so Rockets on CV based planes in world war 1 didn't exist and should not in the game, at least until tier 7 which represents the 1930's IMHO. Thats when CV's were really becoming Full ocean going and operational ships. All throughout the 1920's they were still working out problems on Lex and Sara. CV2 and 3. 

[--K--]
[--K--]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
2,646 posts

Can't tell if bait or just ignorant and/or bad.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,692 posts
10,130 battles
6 hours ago, vikingno2 said:

I have a solution, get rid of rocket plane! everything will be consistent

Better yet, get rid of carriers. You know, for consistency. 

• Cool 3
  • Haha 1

[RAN]
[RAN]
Members
706 posts
10,039 battles
12 hours ago, wooserloop said:

Well, also if your holding the "W" key to boost while you are taking off it will drain it before the squadron even fully launches.  Be sure to not be boosting while taking off in rocket planes.

I did the same on all three plane types and that is the result i got.  thank you for your positive and thoughtful recommendation wooserloop but it was not the case.

As for others.

But its clear that the forum is a joke, you cant even explain a concept to people with pictures and descriptions like talking to children about a game issue without getting abuse as they are all wrapped up in their own faction of morbid selfishness and self interest and heaven forbid they would want to be considerate of other players and share advice or support a point of view.

yes the rocket planes are faster, but why make them 400% slower on take off.  yes they are used for attacking DD's but i attack DD's with bombers and torps as well and get good accuracy on them with that ordinance.  I dont lead with rocket planes anyway, I go for BB damage.  I leave the DD for the cruisers and DD opposing them because thats their job.  German carrier bombers are recommended on DD's as German and not  rockets as they are AP and only do only10% damage at best , not as much as normal rockets.  But DD's arent the primary focus for Rocket planes in the game for me.  I actually use them the least as they do the least damage due to the wide dispersion.  So while all you self interested DD players think  you are hard done by, stop crying poor victim me as the carrier may initially damage you, but in the end after the carrier plane leaves you, the fleet usually kills  you from spotting,  even if the carrier plane doesnt fire on  you, spotting you for the fleet will get you killed even if they just fly by you not targeting  you. Carriers are one of the primary hunted  targets for DD's and they do kill them id say 70 % of the time once they sneak up with insane concealment and find a carrier when they sneak up on them so sure you want an effective weapon to counter that wouldnt you to survive!!!  So like spotting DD's for the fleet gets them killed so does spotting other ships for the fleet gets them killed, so get a life  and stop your whining all the time like spoiled brats. 

Im sick and tired of CV wha wha wha  and I dont hear how bad the Battleships are, highest damage dealers in the game (the stats prove it) and yet they have the temerity to bang on about how bad carriers are. With all their heals and armour, hiding behind mountains or  five of them in the spawn line shooting and sniping thinking they are making a difference while their cruisers and destroyers on their team all die from lack of support from them as the enemy team pushes and moves forward and caps defeating them.  Sniper Battleships are here to stay but they are ruining the game.  Maybe an OK concept in world of tanks but not in WOW.

I actually watched a you tube video yesterday where someone was saying how bad the concept of sniper battleships are, so slowly that line of thought is starting to filter through, no i dont make videos.

Members
2,420 posts
52 battles
58 minutes ago, DevilD0g said:

yes the rocket planes are faster, but why make them 400% slower on take off.

They aren't. Your method is simply hilariously flawed since what you measured is not distance over time but distance covered while using boost.

[GRETA]
[GRETA]
Members
602 posts
19,255 battles

Deal. You get your buffed rocket planes.

In exchange, you'll also have:

1. Limited hanger, no plane regen

2. 60s fire duration, 80s DCP cooldown, planes can't take off while ship is on fire.

3. Rearm time, no more F key insta re-launching another full squadron.

4. Repair time, damaged planes will not be instantly repaired to full health upon landing.

You know, to keep it consistent.