You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
iBrowEcc0

merge servers ?

22 comments in this topic

[WOLF6]
Members
204 posts
7,235 battles

how viable is merging all servers?

the 4x increase in player pool to draw from would give MM more options such as 1+- only , perphaps even cv optional.

lag would increase but this game is forgiving with lag.

• Meh 1

[PVE]
Members
10,914 posts
18,890 battles

We used to play world wide when we had dial up servers, there should be no reason it can't be done now.

[ROXY]
Members
386 posts
1,619 battles

The gameplay will be interesting,

CIS is known for brawling and knife fights.

EU known for colorful gameplay (diversity)

Asia known for some rather equal gameplay.

NA known for GK sitting on J line shooting HE, also smallest server most money.

Plus: There will be 12 different people speaking 12 different languages at same time in chat...similar to my rank teammates.

Edited by YAMATO_DIFFERENCE
  • Funny 1
  • Haha 2

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
29,840 posts
25,782 battles

There's some MMORPGs that have 1 big server.  I still play Star Trek Online and that is 1 server.

I don't mind an international playerbase.  I'm used to it from past games and IRL experiences.  Having a clan with people from vastly different countries was nice.

• Cool 1

[WPORT]
Members
8,096 posts
13,161 battles
38 minutes ago, iBrowEcc0 said:

the 4x increase in player pool to draw from would give MM more options such as 1+- only , perphaps even cv optional.

Ping and Lag are an issue, in my opinion.

Personally, I prefer to have a game server as local as possible and to have fast and secure internet connections to/from that server.

• Cool 1

[AN2AC]
Members
156 posts
9,325 battles
59 minutes ago, iBrowEcc0 said:

I came across from the ASIA server purely for the english language, asian languages come up as a box.

[SALVO]
Members
26,113 posts
29,100 battles
1 hour ago, iBrowEcc0 said:

the 4x increase in player pool to draw from would give MM more options such as 1+- only , perhaps even cv optional.

With all the languages this game supports, the likelihood of a great number of people being unable to communicate with each other would go WAYYYYYYYYYYYY up, with a rather obvious negative effect on what little teamwork currently exists.

Frankly, players should be looking in the mirror and thinking about how THEY can get better rather than constantly looking for escape hatches for aspects of the game they want to avoid.

• Cool 2

[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,819 posts
4,285 battles

Practically there are several problems. First is connections. NA ping to RU servers is high for example. You'd have that issue for 3/4 of your playerbase now. Second is time zones. Each server now has different peak times. On a united server prime times would be a lot harder, imagine the outrage if WG schedule CBs during work hours for one region. You could argue that with united servers the population would be high enough to avoid needing prime times, but I'm not sure that's true. Language is the third issue. Think of the lack of communication now. Now imagine if everyone spoke a different language. Not to mention the asian chats just look like blocks on western clients.

Then there's some current issues that could be fixed but are major concerns. First is server capacity. The regional servers have been known to start chugging under high loads. I remember WG NA ran an event to try and get as many people as possible online a while back. We were pushing 20K players over the weekend, and the servers were definitely feeling it. Now imagine quadrupling that load. WG would need to seriously upgrade their hardware, which isn't worth it for them unless there's a really good reason. The second is each WG region is run semi-independently. Yes, they all talk with WG HQ, but a lot of the events are regional, which is good as the regional HQ can tailor their events for their playerbase. They can also use the appropriate languages. Centralizing that would be tricky, you now have people for each language group but unable to do more targeted events as it's all one server.

So dumping everyone on one server is not straightforward. And honestly there's no reason to. Things work fine as is. And I don't think people would appreciate being dumped into a match with people they can't even chat with.

What I think might be a better option (though probably still technically challenging) is to not region lock accounts. Basically your account is the same on every server, and when you login you choose what server you want to play on. That I think is a better and more realistic solution than one server to rule them all.

• Cool 1
  • Meh 1

[BWC]
Beta Testers
2,004 posts
7,783 battles

One of the biggest hurdles is that the various servers are run by different companies under the overall direction of WG.  WG-NA is not the same company as WG-EU, but are more like franchises.  Putting everyone on the same servers would mean these companies would also have to merge, which I am not sure is in anyone's plans.

• Meh 1

[DPG]
Members
2,055 posts
11,339 battles
13 minutes ago, Jakob_Knight said:

One of the biggest hurdles is that the various servers are run by different companies under the overall direction of WG.  WG-NA is not the same company as WG-EU, but are more like franchises.  Putting everyone on the same servers would mean these companies would also have to merge, which I am not sure is in anyone's plans.

Where did you get your information from?  They aren't "franchises."  It's all one company, Wargaming. 

[RM-I]
[RM-I]
Members
964 posts
10,197 battles

I know of another game developer that throws all players into one server globally. Won't mention any names though...

Members
399 posts
26 battles
41 minutes ago, Impitoyable_5929_x said:

Does it have something to do with getting stuck at the log-in screen since the last 2 days?

1010506813_Screenshot2021-02-16004938.thumb.jpg.83da3687ab7435b322e3a77651383a52.jpg

Screenshot 2021-02-16 004938.jpg

That happens to me on the EU server, hitting escape seems to fix it.

Mixing servers? Well tbh the EU ones have struggled at times as I believe WOWS uses the same server as one of the two World of Tanks servers, or certainly does.
That's before latency/ping issues.

Edited by SoothingWhaleSongEU

[BWC]
Beta Testers
2,004 posts
7,783 battles
7 hours ago, Amenhir said:

Where did you get your information from?  They aren't "franchises."  It's all one company, Wargaming. 

It has been that way since the beginning.  This is why WG-Asia can offer different ship sales and ships from WG-NA (hense where the Southern and Eastern Dragons originated...they were originally offered only on WG-Asia, and were later added to the other servers after players on other servers asked why they couldn't get the same ships and offers).  While Wargaming oversees each of the sub-companies, they are quite separate entities.  As mentioned, they also operated much more independently in the past, and the servers remain isolated to this day.  

Merging the servers would also mean merging these sub-companies, which would have its own interesting times.

[ARGSY]
Members
23,329 posts
17,304 battles
11 hours ago, iBrowEcc0 said:

options such as 1+- only , perphaps even cv optional.

Your real agenda is so transparent it isn't funny.

• Cool 1
  • Haha 1

[DPG]
Members
2,055 posts
11,339 battles
11 hours ago, Jakob_Knight said:

It has been that way since the beginning.  This is why WG-Asia can offer different ship sales and ships from WG-NA (hense where the Southern and Eastern Dragons originated...they were originally offered only on WG-Asia, and were later added to the other servers after players on other servers asked why they couldn't get the same ships and offers).  While Wargaming oversees each of the sub-companies, they are quite separate entities.  As mentioned, they also operated much more independently in the past, and the servers remain isolated to this day.  

Merging the servers would also mean merging these sub-companies, which would have its own interesting times.

You are wrong.  A franchise suggests that those other companies are owned by someone else under license.  They are not.  They have 23 different offices across 16 countries.  They are all owned by Wargaming.  Offices do have some sort of autonomy, which explains why one of the Asian offices was able to create the dragon ships.

offices.PNG

[BWC]
Beta Testers
2,004 posts
7,783 battles
2 minutes ago, Amenhir said:

You are wrong.  A franchise suggests that those other companies are owned by someone else under license.  They are not.  They have 23 different offices across 16 countries.  They are all owned by Wargaming.  Offices do have some sort of autonomy, which explains why one of the Asian offices was able to create the dragon ships.

offices.PNG

The point is still that those companies would have to be merged if the servers they operate merge.  Perhaps they are not franchises, but they operate as you have said, autonomously under the overall guidance of WG in Cyprus.  Which is very similar to a franchise operation.  

So your point of contention is a purely technical one, and does not change the point I made. 

[DPG]
Members
2,055 posts
11,339 battles
1 hour ago, Jakob_Knight said:

The point is still that those companies would have to be merged if the servers they operate merge.  Perhaps they are not franchises, but they operate as you have said, autonomously under the overall guidance of WG in Cyprus.  Which is very similar to a franchise operation.  

So your point of contention is a purely technical one, and does not change the point I made. 

I'm done arguing this with you.  Have a nice life.

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
3,919 posts
2 hours ago, Jakob_Knight said:

yup i have heard similar, it isn't just a US office...