You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
CptGoodAdvice

Unsatisfactory Random Battles - Could Big Hunt be the answer?

15 comments in this topic

[LEARN]
Members
13 posts
9,030 battles

If you have been playing random battles for some time, you have certainly encountered at least one of the following situations:

1. CVs are not balanced enough
  2. Players who just sit there the whole match (AFK), and often without camouflage or signals (often only to remove Pink penalties) 
  3. That one guy who “YOLO’s”, dies in the first 45 seconds, and was the only DD on his team…
  4. That group of players that hides behind a single island for the whole match, ending up as CV fodder.
  5. The ruinous up/down tiering system in place, pinning 2 level lower tier ships against higher tier ships (Ex: Omaha vs Nagato – let the LOLZ be heard) – This is just ridiculous.
  6. Not to mention the new BB “game mode” (Known to some as the “Dead Eye” skill)

The Random Battle mode takes you to a battle where both teams are supposed to be equally balanced, however the truth is that due to the situations above, this is simply not possible. Battles where players on your team are destroyed every minute and the match ends in less than 5 minutes - with no enemy team ships destroyed (except for that ONE ship you destroyed just before dying yourself) - are much more common than before.

But what if things were a little different? What if there was a NEW mode option?
The new modality of battles announced for version 0.10.2 (Big hunt / Before was "Key battle"), has great potential. If this were extended, it could greatly increase the contentedness of current players and potentially bring new ones in.

Imagine if you were on a large map with robot-controlled ships spawning at random points from time to time. In addition, some real players (16 in this case) would also spawn in specific places. And then YOUR battle begins.

Did a player enter without camouflage? This is no problem for you! Did the CV want to participate in the battle and found you? Not a problem, as they will need to handle a bunch of robots spawning near them first. 
In such a battle mode (PvPvE) each player would have much more control over the quality of their own game, and balance issues would have much less importance.

Add to that a possibility of finding loot in specific places on the map or taking the loot of the players / robots that you destroyed to assist you in the match. Perhaps even have hidden loot that contain actual normal-mode content (such as Doubloons/free XP, etc.). This too will add to more players desiring to join. 

The addition of a big boss (in this case AURORA) could provide an additional dynamic that could make it much more fun, as has been seen before in other successful modes.

In my opinion, a game mode like this would bring a great attraction and offer opportunity for both players and for WG.

Random battles as they currently are simply cannot be the future of this game. And even with the “BIG HUNT” event being a nice change of pace, I believe that players having the ability to bring their own ship, with their own captain, camouflage, etc., is a much better path to follow in order to keep people interested. I know that I want to enjoy something new and challenging when I play and not be stuck with the same boring and frustrating situations every time. I believe that many of YOU want the same thing too!

PS: Special thanks to @MANEFISTO_9 for helping with the translation issues.

• Cool 3
  • Boring 3
  • Meh 3

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
3,915 posts

guessing someone has a personal issue...   (the downvote)

meh weegee spends a lot of time developing weird temporary game modes... must cost a fortune ... and i'd be surprised if any have paid off, or even made it out of the red.

for me it's a wait and see...  but on the current schedule, i probably won't bother as the weather will be nicer by then and I won't be spending as much time in front of this thing in my spare time.

• Meh 1

Members
1,164 posts
1,669 battles
2 hours ago, CptGoodAdvice said:

That one guy who “YOLO’s”, dies in the first 45 seconds, and was the only DD on his team…

This happens more often in Co-Op.

The ruinous up/down tiering system in place, pinning 2 level lower tier ships against higher tier ships (Ex: Omaha vs Nagato – let the LOLZ be heard) – This is just ridiculous.

No it isn't. Remember, it used to be +/- 3 tier MM for ALL tiers. Langley vs Atlanta :cap_fainting:

Not to mention the new BB “game mode” (Known to some as the “Dead Eye” skill)

Overrated. I have played several Random Battles since the patch went live, and any battleships that appeared to be playing as if they had Deadeye quickly got stomped on.

The new modality of battles announced for version 0.10.2 (Big hunt / Before was "Key battle"), has great potential.

Now THIS I like.

The addition of a big boss (in this case AURORA)

:Smile_amazed: HIRMS Aurora is a tier Russian premium cruiser. We've only had boss ships in the Halloween Akerian remnants.

Edited by black_hull4

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
3,915 posts

ermm ok yeah big hunt, went and looked at it on the news page... tuned out the moment i saw reference to "monsters" 

[LSNB]
Members
1,679 posts
5,440 battles

I'm not sure if events like Big Hunt even make enough revenue for WG if they only enable it for a month. I believe we only had resales of Halloween camouflages last time.

I'd personally like the option to play more game modes other than the ones allowed currently.

[K-POP]
Members
66 posts
4,079 battles
18 hours ago, CptGoodAdvice said:

The Random Battle mode takes you to a battle where both teams are supposed to be equally balanced, however the truth is that due to the situations above, this is simply not possible. Battles where players on your team are destroyed every minute and the match ends in less than 5 minutes - with no enemy team ships destroyed (except for that ONE ship you destroyed just before dying yourself) - are much more common than before.

Agreed.  I also think there is too much of an emphasis put on Random Win %.  If there was another metric to judge a player's skill, a majority of complaints could be avoided.  Right now Win % is too dependent on the quality of team a player is placed on.  Damage, Ship's Destroyed, ...Captures(?) all should be regarded higher than Random Win %.

Members
864 posts
2 hours ago, xCAMx1652 said:

Agreed.  I also think there is too much of an emphasis put on Random Win %.  If there was another metric to judge a player's skill, a majority of complaints could be avoided.  Right now Win % is too dependent on the quality of team a player is placed on.  Damage, Ship's Destroyed, ...Captures(?) all should be regarded higher than Random Win %.

there is its called your clan rating and your stats in that clan...

• Thanks 1

[K-POP]
Members
66 posts
4,079 battles
15 minutes ago, arch4random said:

there is its called your clan rating and your stats in that clan...

Maybe, but do you think there should be a metric that reflects solely a player's individual skill level, not how well he/she plays within a clan or random team?

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
3,915 posts
3 hours ago, xCAMx1652 said:

to be fair the game isn't as much about WR as it is about damage farming....   or whatever the marathon grind event wants today....  be it cruiser potential damage... fires... etc..

[TFFOX]
Members
1,089 posts
2,776 battles
20 hours ago, black_hull4 said:

:Smile_amazed: HIRMS Aurora is a tier Russian premium cruiser. We've only had boss ships in the Halloween Akerian remnants.

Aurora is also the name of a permacamo for Moskva, IIRC

Members
864 posts
2 hours ago, xCAMx1652 said:

Maybe, but do you think there should be a metric that reflects solely a player's individual skill level, not how well he/she plays within a clan or random team?

they are doing a 1 vs 1 event soon...T8

• Cool 1

[TIMT]
Members
1,333 posts
4,871 battles
7 hours ago, xCAMx1652 said:

You could look into a metric called Personal Rating (PR), which can be used to judge players abilities overall and in specific ships. It is, as many things, not perfect though. It looks at the avg. damage, avg. kills, and WR of a player (either total or in specific ship) in relation to an expectation value and rates the player based on that relative performance. It actually weights damage highest, then kills, and last is WR. More details can be found here, if you are interested: https://na.wows-numbers.com/personal/rating

Downside of PR is that it can be farmed by primarily farming damage, or by playing ships that have low average values because they are barely played except by players who are grinding them for the first time. As an example, my by far highest PR values is in T5 Hawkins. Not because I am such a great cruiser player, but because in the few games I played the ship recently I played mostly against more inexperienced players and was pretty good in damage farming. It further helped that I got lucky and won 6 out of 7 games, so my WR appears to be off the chart compared to the average (which is of course nonsense as 7 battles is nowhere near enough to be sure).

Nevertheless, I think it is one of the better indicators to tell you how you are doing in a ship overall apart from WR.

[MUG-T]
Members
332 posts
3,813 battles
On 2/20/2021 at 4:51 AM, ShinMazingerZERO said:

another battle type: no deadeye mode / old commander skill mode.   It will be popular, I swear.

Pre 0.6.0 commander skill mode:Smile_trollface:

Members
4 posts
3,229 battles

Yes please. New update trashed the game. Could really use a new mode with less ships like 5v5 that is permanent as 12v12 is stupid. CV's are waaaaaaaaaay to influential to battle outcome. Just played another match with cv flying around the edge doing nothing and what should have been an easy win was a massacre. Would really like a battle mode with cv optional. Big hunt was a nice change. Would really like to shoot these big guns at other things than ships.