Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Waylon112

Commander Halsey.

22 comments in this topic

[PVE]
Members
108 posts
3,314 battles

Is it still possible to get Halsey?  I haven't seen him anywhere in missions, or for coal, nothing,  just curious can somebody fill me in or am I too late to the party.

[BTLST]
Members
127 posts
4,251 battles
3 minutes ago, Filthywon said:

Is it still possible to get Halsey?  I haven't seen him anywhere in missions, or for coal, nothing,  just curious can somebody fill me in or am I too late to the party.

Yes, you get him by finishing the "Hit Hard! Hit Fast! Hit Often!" campaign. I'm currently working on that.

Edited by tangofan
Campaign name corrected
  • Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
108 posts
3,314 battles
1 minute ago, Phearal said:

He's the Hit Hard! Hit Fast! Hit Often! campaign reward.  Yes you can still earn him.

Thank you, I will do that.

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
3,922 posts
26 minutes ago, Qilang said:

too much trouble, they should put him on sale.

its not difficult, for each section of the campaign pick the task(s) that fit your play style, and then just play the game...  you can repeat the tasks over and over to get the stars..  Sure you won't do it in a day, but its not difficult to just keep earning credits or captain exp.. if thats the only mission you want to do.

• Cool 2

[GWG]
Members
7,400 posts
14,187 battles
49 minutes ago, Filthywon said:

"The Whole World Wants to Know."

• Cool 1
  • Haha 1

[WOLFG]
Members
32,334 posts
10,021 battles
3 minutes ago, SKurj said:

its not difficult, for each section of the campaign pick the task(s) that fit your play style, and then just play the game...  you can repeat the tasks over and over to get the stars..  Sure you won't do it in a day, but its not difficult to just keep earning credits or captain exp.. if thats the only mission you want to do.

I found the easily repeated generic missions the best, because you just set the mission and forgot about it, and just played as normal.

[WOLFG]
Members
32,334 posts
10,021 battles
53 minutes ago, Filthywon said:

Just curious, have you got Yamamoto yet? 

Same process.

[VRR]
[VRR]
Members
1,283 posts

Yep yamamoto can be done in coop but it's a bit of a grind . Still doable for sure.

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
3,922 posts
19 minutes ago, Versili said:

Yep yamamoto can be done in coop but it's a bit of a grind . Still doable for sure.

and halsey

[BWC]
Beta Testers
2,016 posts
7,796 battles

While I understand the desire to have Halsey from a historic or collection perspective, his special abilities almost never trigger.  If you don't have them yet, you might be as well served by getting one or both of the Doe brothers.  Of course, if you do have them, getting Halsey is just one more option for your USN BBs and CAs.

[KREW]
[KREW]
Members
477 posts
20,732 battles
1 minute ago, Jakob_Knight said:

While I understand the desire to have Halsey from a historic or collection perspective, his special abilities almost never trigger.  If you don't have them yet, you might be as well served by getting one or both of the Doe brothers.  Of course, if you do have them, getting Halsey is just one more option for your USN BBs and CAs.

The Doe brothers cost doubloons for one, coal for the other.
 Halsey is free, has the same enhanced commander skills AND the campaign gives 8 super containers...

• Cool 1

[WOLFC]
Members
2,585 posts
11,084 battles
1 hour ago, AVR_Project said:

"The Whole World Wants to Know."

The world wonders?

And on that subject, the common perception of the events of that (in)famous part of the Battle of Leyte Gulf is incorrect and those words were never intended to be delivered to Halsey as a sarcastic rebuke (or at all, in fact). Some clerks screwed up with the encoding and decoding of the messages.

• Cool 2

[BWC]
Beta Testers
2,016 posts
7,796 battles
7 minutes ago, Admiral_Kartoffel said:

The Doe brothers cost doubloons for one, coal for the other.
 Halsey is free, has the same enhanced commander skills AND the campaign gives 8 super containers...

Completely true, and I'm not advising against getting him. However, there is a time investment in getting him, so not quite free. I was only pointing out other options if the only factor was needing a Unique USN commander with the abilities Halsey brings to the game.

I have all three, and they are all very much used.

Of note is if the intent is to use Halsey in Clan or Ranked battles, I believe his unique skills no longer function, making him identical in that respect to the Does ( of course, given that they never seem to trigger, that's probably not a loss anyway ) .

Edited by Jakob_Knight

[VRR]
[VRR]
Members
1,283 posts
2 hours ago, SKurj said:

and halsey

This is true yes . And halsey is easier to grab than yamamoto but I may be mistaken.

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
3,472 posts
13,117 battles
1 hour ago, Jakob_Knight said:

It's easier to trigger Halsey (Confederate and Double Strike) than Yamamoto (Fist Blood and Kraken), and his buffed skills are better.

Andrew Cunningham is much easier to get his first two abilities to trigger (2 floods and 2 kills), third is almost pointless as there won't be much left when it does trigger (Witherer).

Luigi Sansonetti is fairly easy, as it's main battery hits, get a kill, then Confederate. 2 out of 3 easy isn't bad.

Gunther Lutjens is probably the easier to trigger, as it's just a number of ribbons per ability. 

The French one looks really easy to trigger, the Russian one less so, I don't have either so no personal experience there.

Edited by SgtBeltfed

[BWC]
Beta Testers
2,016 posts
7,796 battles
7 minutes ago, SgtBeltfed said:

It's easier to trigger Halsey (Confederate and Double Strike) than Yamamoto (Fist Blood and Kraken), and his buffed skills are better.

Andrew Cunningham is much easier to get his first two abilities to trigger (2 floods and 2 kills), third is almost pointless as there won't be much left when it does trigger (Witherer).

Luigi Sansonetti is fairly easy, as it's main battery hits, get a kill, then Confederate. 2 out of 3 easy isn't bad.

Gunther Lutjens is probably the easier to trigger, as it's just a number of ribbons per ability. 

The French one looks really easy to trigger, the Russian one less so, I don't have either so no personal experience there.

I'd debate that getting a Confederate or Double Strike is easier than getting First Blood.  I think I've gotten one Confederate in the last six months of playtime.  Still, the real issue is the impact of that activation on the game.  By the time you get a Confederate or Double Strike, the ability activation probably won't matter.  Same for Kraken on Yamamoto.  First Blood though is something that at least will have an impact on the game, even if it's pretty hard to get.

I'd agree Philippe Auboyneau probably has the easiest abilities to activate, though they do require the ship to be in the forefront of the action (not going to get any Captures in the back, and not that likely to get any Dev Strikes without being close either).  However, Nikolay Kuznetsov's 'Will to Victory' is likely to trigger every battle, and getting a free heal is something that's always going to affect how the battle goes.

I'm actually disappointed in how useful WG has made the other Unique Captains compared to Halsey and Yamamoto.  If they had a USN and IJN commander that was on par with Kuznetsov or Lutjens, I would seriously consider spending coal for them.

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
3,472 posts
13,117 battles
12 minutes ago, Jakob_Knight said:

I'd debate that getting a Confederate or Double Strike is easier than getting First Blood.  I think I've gotten one Confederate in the last six months of playtime.  Still, the real issue is the impact of that activation on the game.  By the time you get a Confederate or Double Strike, the ability activation probably won't matter.  Same for Kraken on Yamamoto.  First Blood though is something that at least will have an impact on the game, even if it's pretty hard to get.

I'd agree Philippe Auboyneau probably has the easiest abilities to activate, though they do require the ship to be in the forefront of the action (not going to get any Captures in the back, and not that likely to get any Dev Strikes without being close either).  However, Nikolay Kuznetsov's 'Will to Victory' is likely to trigger every battle, and getting a free heal is something that's always going to affect how the battle goes.

I'm actually disappointed in how useful WG has made the other Unique Captains compared to Halsey and Yamamoto.  If they had a USN and IJN commander that was on par with Kuznetsov or Lutjens, I would seriously consider spending coal for them.

With First blood, you're not only competing with your own team, but the reds as well. At least with Halsey your not competing with your own teammates, or worse, the other side.

Members
453 posts
8,190 battles

The newer Unique commanders are useful in Coop as some of their skills can proc with things that can happen in Coop.  Halsey and Yamamoto's skill are all tied to achievements  (even if you technically achieve what would count for the achievements in Coop, their skill don't activate because the achievement wasn't awarded).  So only their commander skills are useful aside from coming as 15 point captains.

Sign in to follow this