You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Qilang

DE on Iowa/Montana?

15 comments in this topic

[-RNG-]
Supertester
3,193 posts
5,736 battles
On 2/15/2021 at 12:10 PM, Qilang said:

prob no.

Misread, forgot it was renamed to pyro.

Edited by _BBaby

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
5,745 posts
21,845 battles
15 minutes ago, _BBaby said:

DE for BBs is only feasibly useful on secondaries.

2 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

Please tell me you aren't one of those players that shoots HE from BB's all the time?

Guys. DE is now DeadEye. The old Demolition Expert (+fire chance on HE) skill is now Pyrotechnician.

• Cool 1
  • Thanks 1

[PVE]
Members
13,436 posts
28,209 battles
Just now, Edgecase said:

Guys. DE is now DeadEye. The old Demolition Expert (+fire chance on HE) skill is now Pyrotechnician.

Yup! MY bad. :Smile_facepalm:

• Cool 1

[CDOH]
Members
791 posts
8,259 battles

Yes to Dead eye Concealment builds on Iowa and Montana.  It does make the Monty feel better. 

Edited by Rothgar_57
  • Cool 1

[BNRJ]
Members
148 posts
6,490 battles

Absolutely. I don’t have Montana, but my Iowa with deadeye is just about my only BB whose performance hasn’t suffered since the skill rework. 

• Thanks 1

[DRY]
Members
186 posts

I've settled on yes, but without concealment. I'm not giving up survivability and still getting in close and tanking, but deadeye is very nice for early game shots, flanking situations, and whenever circumstances leave you distant from surviving targets. This is frequent enough to be worth it.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
5,745 posts
21,845 battles
2 hours ago, ProfessorLumpy said:

I've settled on yes, but without concealment. I'm not giving up survivability and still getting in close and tanking, but deadeye is very nice for early game shots, flanking situations, and whenever circumstances leave you distant from surviving targets. This is frequent enough to be worth it.

There's some anti-synergy inherent in that decision. Without Concealment Expert, Deadeye doesn't even activate unless you're something like 15km out, which means it's either not giving you much benefit, or you're playing quite far away. Perhaps the ebb and flow of battle makes that okay, but it seems like it would be a dead skill much of the time.

[KIA-C]
Supertester
1,828 posts
6,165 battles

Keep in mind that not only Montana/Iowas shells are slow but are 2nd to last in terms of penetration at range only beating GK but not like anyone grinds up the German BB line to snipe anyways so consider it the worst.

I think SI would be good instead by taking advantage of the already buffed main line heal for more tank. You already have the dispersion mod in the last slot which should be enough in terms of accuracy.

[LSNB]
[LSNB]
Members
1,687 posts
5,563 battles

I've been using a Deadeye concealment build on my Montana in Clan Brawls to much success. American BBs are stealthy and speedy enough that they can position themselves closely and still be able to use Deadeye.

I've successfully used it on Iowa as well, but randoms naturally forces you to play a bit further back.

16 hours ago, Edgecase said:

DE will always be demolition expert in my heart

Edited by destawaits
  • Cool 1

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
29,893 posts
25,782 battles

It's quite feasible to do Dead Eye on Iowa.  With Stealth Build her surface detection drops to 12.73kmMontana is 14km with Stealth Build.  Feasible still but you'll have to push back a bit more.

In contrast is Thunderer, where everyone does Stealth + Dead Eye Build on these days.  Her concealment drops to 12.3km.

RIP those Legendaries that reside in Slot 5 where CSM1 is at LOL

[DRY]
Members
186 posts
5 hours ago, Edgecase said:

There's some anti-synergy inherent in that decision. Without Concealment Expert, Deadeye doesn't even activate unless you're something like 15km out, which means it's either not giving you much benefit, or you're playing quite far away. Perhaps the ebb and flow of battle makes that okay, but it seems like it would be a dead skill much of the time.

I think that this is the trouble with the way people are looking at deadeye. To me, minimizing concealment and trying to keep it active at all times isn't optimal. It takes a battleship out of doing it's most important job and pushes it too far back.

As I see it, if I'm playing well I'm going to be too close for deadeye to activate even with concealment expert for around 40 to 60 percent of most matches. But I don't need deadeye at those ranges anyway. I'm looking for that extra accuracy when I'm either moving into position, on the weak side of a red lemming rush, taking down a kiting or sniping red, or similar situations.

For me, it's completely natural that deadeye replaces concealment expert. Previously I may have preferred to try to remain unseen while moving in closer rather than risking long range shots with a ship like Montana, but with deadeye I much more often choose to take those shots and give up concealment.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
5,745 posts
21,845 battles
1 hour ago, ProfessorLumpy said:

I think that this is the trouble with the way people are looking at deadeye. To me, minimizing concealment and trying to keep it active at all times isn't optimal. It takes a battleship out of doing it's most important job and pushes it too far back.

I agree that changing the way you play because of Deadeye is a trap and should never be done. In general, though, concealment is an extremely powerful tool on both offense and defense. The fact that lower concealment also reduces the benefit of other skills is just an extra downside.

[DRY]
Members
186 posts
1 hour ago, Edgecase said:

I agree that changing the way you play because of Deadeye is a trap and should never be done. In general, though, concealment is an extremely powerful tool on both offense and defense. The fact that lower concealment also reduces the benefit of other skills is just an extra downside.

Oh, I agree that concealment is very powerful, but when deciding where to allocate captain points decisions have to be made. However, in my estimation, an extra heal and fireproof win out over concealment expert on Montana. I prefer to be seen, moving, and taking fire. That's my role as a battleship, to be absorbing damage. 

In the past I had preferred not to duel at long range, using concealment to get in and out of mid-close range with Montana, but I'm finding that Deadeye makes Montana deadly at all ranges, so I'm firing instead of hiding.