Jump to content
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Merc_R_Us

Upcoming Other Changes for Flak in 10.1

9 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

859
[-TKS-]
[-TKS-]
Members
1,003 posts
8,060 battles

Note from the changes states:

  • "Fixed an error that caused AA explosions not to deal any damage to aircraft squadrons in some cases."

Not sure exactly what this will mean for Flak but you may want to consider slapping on that 4 Point Skill if you're not using it. I've always flown through some clouds that are partially dissipated and not taken damage, not sure if it will effect the cloud duration or maybe the clouds that pop right in front of you sometimes in which you have no way to avoid. 

@El2aZeR

@Ahskance

Without addressing each other (:Smile_Default:), Do you guys know when a Flak cloud is "safe" to fly through in the current state?

Edited by Merc_R_Us

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,783
Members
2,462 posts
52 battles
36 minutes ago, Merc_R_Us said:

Do you guys know when a Flak cloud is "safe" to fly through in the current state?

Yes. Flak has a fixed "lifespan" of around 3 seconds and is calibrated to hit you towards the end of that if you were to continue flying at it at a fixed speed. However the flak animation is independent of the damage zone and has a delay of roughly half a second at least (depends on your hardware and connection in my experience), if e.g. you were to simply slow down a little you can fly through seemingly active flak as the actual damage zone has already despawned because of that. I doubt this will change given that this kind of rendering delay applies to all manners of things such as ship spotting as well due to the game being server sided, "fixing" it would be pretty much impossible.

I believe the fix refers to the speed exploit instead which caused flak to not hit aircraft flying at high speed for some reason. Demonstrated here:

Although I have been told by others that this has already been addressed and hasn't been working for awhile. Haven't tested and never actually used it before and since making that video.

Edited by El2aZeR

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,039
[GRETA]
Members
1,384 posts
10,635 battles
1 hour ago, El2aZeR said:

Yes. Flak has a fixed "lifespan" of around 3 seconds and is calibrated to hit you towards the end of that if you were to continue flying at it at a fixed speed. However the flak animation is independent of the damage zone and has a delay of roughly half a second at least (depends on your hardware and connection in my experience), if e.g. you were to simply slow down a little you can fly through seemingly active flak as the actual damage zone has already despawned because of that. I doubt this will change given that this kind of rendering delay applies to all manners of things such as ship spotting as well due to the game being server sided, "fixing" it would be pretty much impossible.

I believe the fix refers to the speed exploit instead which caused flak to not hit aircraft flying at high speed for some reason. Demonstrated here:

Although I have been told by others that this has already been addressed and hasn't been working for awhile. Haven't tested and never actually used it before and since making that video.

This is why Flak in its current state really only punishes players with latency issues.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
859
[-TKS-]
[-TKS-]
Members
1,003 posts
8,060 battles
1 hour ago, El2aZeR said:

Yes. Flak has a fixed "lifespan" of around 3 seconds and is calibrated to hit you towards the end of that if you were to continue flying at it at a fixed speed. However the flak animation is independent of the damage zone and has a delay of roughly half a second at least (depends on your hardware and connection in my experience), if e.g. you were to simply slow down a little you can fly through seemingly active flak as the actual damage zone has already despawned because of that. I doubt this will change given that this kind of rendering delay applies to all manners of things such as ship spotting as well due to the game being server sided, "fixing" it would be pretty much impossible.

I believe the fix refers to the speed exploit instead which caused flak to not hit aircraft flying at high speed for some reason. Demonstrated here:

Although I have been told by others that this has already been addressed and hasn't been working for awhile. Haven't tested and never actually used it before and since making that video.

On a separate point, how happy are you that they fixed the continuous damage and explosion ammunitions going through terrain bug?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,215
[KSC]
WoWS Community Contributors
1,153 posts
12,353 battles
30 minutes ago, Merc_R_Us said:

On a separate point, how happy are you that they fixed the continuous damage and explosion ammunitions going through terrain bug?

To the initial topic, I would defer to El2aZeR's knowledge on flak mechanics.  Much of what I know was learned from him as well as other EU CV players.

As for what the change actually is, I can try to inquire to WG and see if I get a response.

---

I will be honest, I hadn't noticed the lack of continuous/flak through islands, which is pretty cool.

It means that the game feels like one would expect it to feel, because people more often notice the "wrong" instead of the "right".

Glad that you called attention to it being fixed.

Edited by Ahskance

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,783
Members
2,462 posts
52 battles
7 hours ago, Merc_R_Us said:

On a separate point, how happy are you that they fixed the continuous damage and explosion ammunitions going through terrain bug?

To be honest I never noticed that either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,215
[KSC]
WoWS Community Contributors
1,153 posts
12,353 battles
22 hours ago, Merc_R_Us said:

Note from the changes states:

  • "Fixed an error that caused AA explosions not to deal any damage to aircraft squadrons in some cases."

WarGaming has confirmed it was a fix to address Fast Plane/Flak interaction.

Worthy or note, this is going to affect Graf Zeppelin's Torpedo Planes, as they have a long attack animation that often starts around 5-6km on a "high velocity strike" (just slamming it full throttle from start to delivery).  This is also likely to affect the Japanese Unique Upgrade which gives Hakuryu torpedoes a similar "high velocity strike" potential, and probably MvR torpedoes as well.

High velocity striking meant being fairly committed to a line, and depending on how the flak lands now it will likely force throttle jockey'ing?  Guess we'll see how the new flak gunners track the fast movers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
952
[USCC]
Members
3,120 posts
14,656 battles

You CV people might as well be typing in klingon, I have no idea what you folks are talking about, but I'm glad WeeGee has fixed the whatchamacallit.. :cap_like:
 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,331
[CLUMP]
Members
1,534 posts
2,216 battles

I have gotten better at avoiding flak but only against one ship though :Smile_hiding:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×