Sign in to follow this  
Snargfargle

Cold enough for you?

41 comments in this topic

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
14,413 posts

It seems that we are in the midst of a real cold snap. I feel sorry for you northerners.

image.png.e5d1e10e51d79f1ab9d7439a0499ff11.png

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
3,915 posts

foot of snow due tonight i think... here in "southern" ontario...

• Cool 1
  • Sad 1

[RLGN]
Members
15,613 posts
27,321 battles

0 degrees right now here in Tulsa. Ground and neighborhood roads covered by snow, 3-6 inches maybe? More snow expected today, Tuesday, and Wednesday.

Bitter, piercing cold because of the wind.

[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,812 posts
4,278 battles

Now you guys know how it is for us most of the time:Smile-_tongue:

Only about +15F here right now, but that storm is heading for us, supposed to get 5-8in tonight, though the temp is supposed to stay steady in the teens. Usually how it works, if it's snowing the temp is OK. It's when it stops snowing and the wind kicks up that it gets scary cold.

• Cool 1

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
14,413 posts

Rotating power outages were initiated by the Electric Reliability Council of Texas,

Do you think that they might want to re-consider the "reliability" part of their name? 

[CRUEL]
Members
526 posts
9,315 battles
1 hour ago, AJTP89 said:

Now you guys know how it is for us most of the time:Smile-_tongue:

Only about +15F here right now, but that storm is heading for us, supposed to get 5-8in tonight, though the temp is supposed to stay steady in the teens. Usually how it works, if it's snowing the temp is OK. It's when it stops snowing and the wind kicks up that it gets scary cold.

I remember in the army if it was snowing it was actually nice and felt somewhat warm. No snow and we were freezing our you know what's off. That said I haven't seen snow in 3 years lol. Before that it was 11 (made the mistake of going to Wisconsin in Feb :Smile_facepalm:)

[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,812 posts
4,278 battles
44 minutes ago, Darmokattenagra said:

I remember in the army if it was snowing it was actually nice and felt somewhat warm. No snow and we were freezing our you know what's off. That said I haven't seen snow in 3 years lol. Before that it was 11 (made the mistake of going to Wisconsin in Feb :Smile_facepalm:)

Yup, we say it's too cold to snow. I think it works the opposite way in reality, when you have snow you need clouds which insulate? the surface? I dunno, not a weather guy. But those crystal clear nights are the ones that are freaking frigid. Add in wind and it's no fun. And yeah, MI is shielded by Lake Michigan, lot of snow but not terribly cold (usually). But WI and MN just get it right off the great plains, not fun in Jan/Feb.

[WORX]
Members
12,637 posts
19,870 battles
4 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

It seems that we are in the midst of a real cold snap. I feel sorry for you northerners.

The "hat" of America will protect us from the cold... If its bad here, its got to be worse there...

[WOLFG]
Members
11,750 posts
10,879 battles
2 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

Do you think that they might want to re-consider the "reliability" part of their name? 

If you live in Kansas, you may be under the same threat.

Members
3 posts
I had just gotten over a bout of serious depression after finally getting a picture the last week of December 2014 after begging for pictures of the children seeing them play with the toys that I bought them for Christmas. How did the ex respond? She sent a picture of my daughter on the ground playing with the toy I got her for Christmas, in the background was the man she was dating (now her new husband), he was, for all intents and purposes naked on the couch. All he was wearing was basketball shorts. When I responded to her, letting her know how inappropriate it was that she sent that to me, she of course acted like she did not know what she did wrong. At this point I questioned all my own actions and my own thoughts when it came to her and the children. So when I posted the picture to FB and asked the question whether I was incorrect in my thinking, of course the resounding answer was that I was NOT incorrect.

So in that week in January, walking my dog, utterly a broken man. I came to a realization. I had still, been living for a woman and children that were not a part of my life anymore. The woman that I had fallen in love with had replaced me, completely, as a husband and father.
  • Sad 1

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
14,413 posts
4 hours ago, DrHolmes52 said:

If you live in Kansas, you may be under the same threat.

The state of Texas has its own power grid. That they are having to do rolling blackouts when the weather gets cold shows the problem with an isolated power grid.

[WOLFG]
Members
11,750 posts
10,879 battles
1 hour ago, Snargfargle said:

The state of Texas has its own power grid. That they are having to do rolling blackouts when the weather gets cold shows the problem with an isolated power grid.

Evergy was at 10 o'clock this morning generating at a level below required spinning reserves.  The step after that is rolling blackouts.  They had everything on that could be turned on.  I don't know how it will work tonight when it gets colder.

[WPORT]
Members
8,023 posts
13,099 battles
11 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

image.png.e5d1e10e51d79f1ab9d7439a0499ff11.png

I feel sorry for the people experiencing the loss of electrical power.
Not everyone heats with fireplaces & wood stoves nowadays.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
14,413 posts
1 hour ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

I feel sorry for the people experiencing the loss of electrical power.
Not everyone heats with fireplaces & wood stoves nowadays.

One of the problems Texas has with cold and electricity is that a lot of people in the more populated areas of the state don't have oil, or gas-fired heaters. Only having electrical heat to take off the chill works OK as long as temperatures don't fall much lower than the 40s but when you have hundreds of thousands of people trying to use space heaters in every room at once you can easily overwhelm the power grid.

I have a fireplace but it's now converted to gas and more for show than for practical use. The warmest place during a power outage, ironically, is my garage, which has a gas wall heater and can maintain a reasonably warm temperature no matter how cold it is outside. Right now it's -5 F and the garage, where the two cats live when it's cold, is in the 60s.

I've spent quite a bit of time in Texas. I went to college there (twice) and was stationed there (twice), not to mention that my Grandma had a place on the gulf that I visited at least once a year for several years. I also spent three summers doing field research throughout much of the state. The place I live now was once part of the Texas Republic too. 

Edited by Snargfargle

[WOLFG]
Members
11,750 posts
10,879 battles
11 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

One of the problems Texas has with cold and electricity is that a lot of people in the more populated areas of the state don't have oil, or gas-fired heaters. Only having electrical heat to take off the chill works OK as long as temperatures don't fall much lower than the 40s but when you have hundreds of thousands of people trying to use space heaters in every room at once you can easily overwhelm the power grid.

I have a fireplace but it's now converted to gas and more for show than for practical use. The warmest place during a power outage, ironically, is my garage, which has a gas wall heater and can maintain a reasonably warm temperature no matter how cold it is outside. Right now it's -5 F and the garage, where the two cats live when it's cold, is in the 60s.

I've spent quite a bit of time in Texas. I went to college there (twice) and was stationed there (twice), not to mention that my Grandma had a place on the gulf that I visited at least once a year for several years. I also spent three summers doing field research throughout much of the state. The place I live now was once part of the Texas Republic too. 

With it so cold and with most cold weather areas using gas heat (and getting priority), gas curtailments are in effect for other uses, including natural gas for generation.  A number of units that could be running are off because they can't get the natural gas to operate.

-10 here this morning.  We'll see if I stay on line.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
14,413 posts
28 minutes ago, DrHolmes52 said:

With it so cold and with most cold weather areas using gas heat (and getting priority), gas curtailments are in effect for other uses, including natural gas for generation.  A number of units that could be running are off because they can't get the natural gas to operate.

-10 here this morning.  We'll see if I stay on line.

That's the government for you -- doing things that make absolutely no sense. Oh no! People are going to be using more natural gas because it's cold so let's shut off the supply of natural gas to our power generation facilities so the people who don't have natural gas heating will have to use more electricity but since 99% of natural gas-fired heaters also requires electricity to run the fans those with natural gas heating also will be without heat when we institute rolling blackouts because we don't have enough power production capacity because we've shut off the natural gas to the power plants.

I have a college friend who rose to a pretty high position of government, ending up as the Chief of Staff of a major Federal agency. He said that it always amazed him how stupid most of the people he worked with in government were.

Nuclear power is really the way to go and should be implemented nation-wide, no matter what the whiners say. Modern nuclear plants almost never have the problems anymore that led to things like Three Mile Island and Chernobyl and the radioactive waste they produce can be stored in deep holes somewhere in Nevada where it will lie far below the water table in rock that's already radioactive because of its uranium content.

[WOLFG]
Members
11,750 posts
10,879 battles
Just now, Snargfargle said:

That's the government for you -- doing things that make absolutely no sense. Oh no! People are going to be using more natural gas because it's cold so let's shut off the supply of natural gas to our power generation facilities so the people who don't have natural gas heating will have to use more electricity but since 99% of natural gas-fired heaters also requires electricity to run the fans those with natural gas heating also will be without heat when we institute rolling blackouts because we don't have enough power production capacity because we've shut off the natural gas to the power plants.

I have a college friend who rose to a pretty high position of government, ending up as the Chief of Staff of a major Federal agency. He said that it always amazed him how stupid most of the people he worked with in government were.

Nuclear power is really the way to go and should be implemented nation-wide, no matter what the whiners say. Modern nuclear plants almost never have the problems anymore that led to things like Three Mile Island and Chernobyl and the radioactive waste they produce can be stored in deep holes somewhere in Nevada where it will lie far below the water table in rock that's already radioactive because of its uranium content.

It is not really governmental, but it kind of is.  There isn't enough pipe to move enough natural gas to supply everyone.  Which is both a government issue and an economic issue.  A curtailed rate actually makes economic sense for the utilites, except in cases like this.

Natural gas pipeline capacity is a cyclical issue.  This is the third time in my 30 year career that natural gas price have gone low, and then risen again after pipeline capacity has been reached.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
14,413 posts
2 hours ago, DrHolmes52 said:

It is not really governmental, but it kind of is.  There isn't enough pipe to move enough natural gas to supply everyone. 

Not to mention that Texas got sold on "green" energy too and now has a quarter of its electricity produced by windmills, which froze up during the cold snap. I'd say that it might be because of the type of grease they use to lube the windmills in warmer climates because they have windmills farther north that aren't frozen.

[WOLFG]
Members
11,750 posts
10,879 battles
1 minute ago, Snargfargle said:

Not to mention that Texas got sold on "green" energy too and now has a quarter of its electricity produced by windmills, which froze up during the cold snap. I'd say that it might be because of the type of grease they use to lube the windmills in warmer climates because they have windmills farther north that aren't frozen.

Yeah, Kansas is putting out some wind today, even though there isn't much wind.  Someone got some splainen to do on their maintenance practices.  I also know how some plants can't run their diesel units, because they forgot to buy diesel :Smile_facepalm:

Other plants stocked up last week.  

Most clusterplucks require failures of multiple groups.  This one is no exception.

[TFFOX]
Members
1,089 posts
2,776 battles

Welp, it's 69 here, feel bad for those who live up north and out east

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
14,413 posts
27 minutes ago, DrHolmes52 said:

Yeah, Kansas is putting out some wind today, even though there isn't much wind.  Someone got some splainen to do on their maintenance practices. 

Our power out here hasn't had any problems yet. Kansas produces 41% of its electricity from wind farms, 33% from coal, 18% from one nuclear plant, and 7% from natural gas. I don't think that freezing up when it's cold is inherit to windmills per se but how they are maintained.

[WOLFG]
Members
11,750 posts
10,879 battles
35 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

Our power out here hasn't had any problems yet. Kansas produces 41% of its electricity from wind farms, 33% from coal, 18% from one nuclear plant, and 7% from natural gas. I don't think that freezing up when it's cold is inherit to windmills per se but how they are maintained.

I meant it wasn't very windy where I am (right now), but Kansas gets a lot of power from wind.

Most definitely a maintenance issue in Texas.  The one's in Kansas spin in most weather, except (ironically of course) too high of winds.

If you want to see where things are bad, look up poweroutage.us.

Edited by DrHolmes52

[WPORT]
Members
8,023 posts
13,099 battles

:cap_book::cap_popcorn:

Sign in to follow this