You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Ensign_Cthulhu

Weekend Spree. 12-14 Feb 2021.

29 comments in this topic

[ARGSY]
Members
23,329 posts
17,304 battles

Generally derped around and had fun. Picked up the Albemarle, pushed the global reset button on all my captains.

Decided that my Neptune captain had been too long without Concealment Expert and took full advantage of the rework to grind him up on the Dreadnought for some low-tier fun. Managed to fight three random battles in a row, two of which were overwhelmingly human on both sides, without running into a carrier AT ALL. (Go check the VOD on my Twitch channel if you don't believe me.)

Took the Minnesota out for funsies and did a Kraken slaughter carry with it (1 v 3 at the end, and I got two of them at under 10km before the game timed out).

Derped around in co-op for cool-down and chill to close the evening out.

• Boring 1

[TDR]
[TDR]
Members
1,108 posts
11,776 battles

Had fun games in random. Some better than others. Still haven’t figured out Fletcher. She’s a great dd but I think I’m playing her overly aggressive.

Added akizuki to port on Saturday and by patch end I should have enough xp, or need limited free xp, for Kagero, Gearing, Montana, and Zao (regrind for Ohio). then it will be time to knock a few flakes off and put 4 new ships in port, well 5 but I’ve had zao for a while before regrind. I enjoyed the IJN cruiser line so I’ll probably reset again

Curious to see what new ships will be available, if any, before deciding to spend coal. I could use torp boat training I think but z44 doesn’t seem terribly unique. The 80+ steel to own her soon has an added benefit but I’m still on the fence

Edited by ditka_Fatdog

[ARGSY]
Members
23,329 posts
17,304 battles
9 minutes ago, ditka_Fatdog said:

The 80+ steel to own her soon has an added benefit

Do I take it that you are going for Somers before she is removed?

14 minutes ago, ditka_Fatdog said:

Still haven’t figured out Fletcher. She’s a great dd but I think I’m playing her overly aggressive.

Send a replay to @Lord_Zath once the new patch drops.

Captain Rye on YouTube doesn't post very much any more, but he was a huge Fletcher enthusiast; some of his stuff might be worth a look.

Then there's our friendly neighbourhood DD main @Destroyer_KuroshioKaihttps://youtu.be/3o0vUumLr4Y is a start, and look through his US DD stuff. Send him a replay and he'll do an individual analysis for you and tell you everything you're doing wrong and what you should be doing instead.

• Cool 1

[TDR]
[TDR]
Members
1,108 posts
11,776 battles
7 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Do I take it that you are going for Somers before she is removed?

I got Somers just after Christmas but I am a hoarder of resources 😬

[FRR]
Members
859 posts

It was a busy Valentine's weekend, but there were some blocks of time which I used to play some ships and configure some captain skills.

I was thinking about using 1,000,000 FXP to get the Alaska when realized I haven't taken Alaska B to Random Battles for a very long time. I decided to bring her out of Co-op safety, fight it out in the real world, and take advantage of the 200% XP victory bonus to help in stockpiling ECXP for my 3rd 21-pointer captain.

Given the tight schedules, I was hoping to land on top of the team score board to maximize XP, but it was funny how it went 3rd, 2nd, and then 1st. 😄

544838965_WorldofWarshipsScreenshot2021_02.12-18_21_11_18.thumb.png.06790b7e7329f50c3efa0d49d1803eb4.png582041429_WorldofWarshipsScreenshot2021_02.12-18.21_02_40.thumb.png.2e15039304bb870eb94272ff5c7d43d3.png645293255_WorldofWarshipsScreenshot2021_02.14-18_16_15_36.thumb.png.18447ecbfba8ba3f6f43b0369c66f0d2.png732654070_WorldofWarshipsScreenshot2021_02.14-18_16_08_44.thumb.png.d92b514c0159daca65386336cf797b01.png1721413742_WorldofWarshipsScreenshot2021_02.15-00_52_05_73.thumb.png.b085494bb3bde3e7ce213e8b94dfbb67.png1016392126_WorldofWarshipsScreenshot2021_02.15-00_51_50_19.thumb.png.5af402af8262a72ce1e6e5e7f36d166f.png

Valentine's Day was special, but before it began, I went back to my first Tier X battleship. Montana brought back some very, very good memories sinking ships left and right. 

544711225_WorldofWarshipsScreenshot2021_02.14-00_35_47_60.thumb.png.34c4e727bece71c64957d8dc348ba85f.png790615763_WorldofWarshipsScreenshot2021_02.14-00_35_39_77.thumb.png.c9e3cb6e69564091af7cd93848da0b35.png

[NG-NL]
Members
6,401 posts
10,580 battles

Emptied my credits stockpile to clear out snowflakes on several ship lines (KMS BB and DD, French BB. Depending how my schedule goes, may do another line before it closes on Wednesday) for extra coal and steel. Co-op was generally chill, go in and blow stuff up--discovered bots are pretty capable of surviving your ramming :Smile_veryhappy:

Tried and found I liked secondary build on Yamato. She's got enough base accuracy and all without deadeye, UU, and aiming system mod to work for me.

Played my MO repeatedly since with the doubloons from last year and this year's generous missions, went above 2500, so thought why not and spent it on 30 days of premium time. One match justified bringing my secondary build GA.

shot-21.02.14_12.11.14-0283.jpg

shot-21.02.14_15.21.18-0228.jpg

[WOLF9]
Members
1,134 posts
23,033 battles

Congrats on the Albemarle @Ensign_Cthulhu.  I was not happy with it, but the Drake is better, and the Goliath is a very good ship.

I took advantage of 2 things this weekend:

1)  The RB reset on the IJN DD gunboats, and FXP and ground back up to the Akizuki.  The line gets real funner at this point on.

2)  I continued my grind on the DD lines, and am almost out of the T7 hole.  I got the Le Fantastique, Hsienyang, and the Lightning.  Only the Skane left at T7.  So one at T9, 6 at T8, and one at T7.  I spent all my FXP to do this.

Bring on the RM BBs.  I am fairly confident I will get at least to T6 in early release, maybe even T7 (attainable by missions I believe).  It also gives me another month to grind FXP for the higher tier BBs.

[ARGSY]
Members
23,329 posts
17,304 battles
1 hour ago, Hukom said:

I was thinking about using 1,000,000 FXP to get the Alaska when realized I haven't taken Alaska B to Random Battles for a very long time.

If you have the Alaska B, why do you need the original? That 1 million FXP are much better off being used on anything else.

[SIM]
Members
5,785 posts
9,263 battles

Finished re-grinding Sinop into Vladivostok. The individual matches were pretty lacking, but I’m glad to have scored more research points. Still not sure which RB ship that I’m actually targeting. 

[ARGSY]
Members
23,329 posts
17,304 battles
4 minutes ago, SkaerKrow said:

Finished re-grinding Sinop into Vladivostok.

First thing that came to mind:

image.thumb.png.a9359da9950d21179a8eac2246708278.png

Members
424 posts
15,691 battles

I tried to maximize the benefits of the 200% this weekend for the lines I am still grinding (most of them).  Played mostly coop in those ships (anywhere from T7 to T9 in most cases) for the various lines, plus a few premiums to work on captains or credits.  Did purchase the Jurua and played her a bunch also to boost her captain quickly (I have the Gallant; very similar play as others have noted).  Played some select randoms (had a pretty good game in my Mo, and I think @ditka_Fatdog was in that game if I recall correctly) to boost credits needed for the Anshan task (Journey West?) as well as finishing the last of the Dockyard event (for RB points and steel).  Off today (Monday), so will try to finish those two up today.

[PVE]
Members
5,091 posts
22,511 battles

Lets's see.  A Wintery mess here so there was plenty of time....  Alas, really didn't spend that much time playing.  Literally, nothing to do in game???  All of the events are long done.  Don't need anymore ships and won't grind because there is no reason to do so anymore.  To what end???  

Played COOP: and, that's it.  The game has no point to it anymore and remains, till our host changes to a better position on quality content, a P/T game at best.  Played the 200% for about 12 ships each day and realized I am actually earning less ECXP than before........  I can't figure out how yet but, I've started a spreadsheet I'll run for a few weeks to see "just how bad the grind is now......." cause, something isn't right.   I seem to be 20% less than before the reBORK....  Same ships, same no use of flags, same CPT's (but, reBORKED) different weekly income..........  Slightly less than before......? 

Just another typical WoWs's weekend.  Little used, a lot abused and, losing players interest at an alarming rate........  I can't see it as more than a "game to study;" till, there is no reason to play (other than for research data......)

[TDR]
[TDR]
Members
1,108 posts
11,776 battles
1 hour ago, chrisope said:

I tried to maximize the benefits of the 200% this weekend for the lines I am still grinding (most of them).  Played mostly coop in those ships (anywhere from T7 to T9 in most cases) for the various lines, plus a few premiums to work on captains or credits.  Did purchase the Jurua and played her a bunch also to boost her captain quickly (I have the Gallant; very similar play as others have noted).  Played some select randoms (had a pretty good game in my Mo, and I think @ditka_Fatdog was in that game if I recall correctly) to boost credits needed for the Anshan task (Journey West?) as well as finishing the last of the Dockyard event (for RB points and steel).  Off today (Monday), so will try to finish those two up today.

Then it’s possible I owe you an apology if you were on my team. I played a few Iowa games but one in particular i potatoed quite nicely 😬

[WOLF9]
Members
455 posts

Finally bought the Haragumo.  Still trying to think if which coal & FXP dd's I want, Neutrashimy, Marcaeu or Z-44. or use my fxp on the Freiseland.  decisions, decisions

[ARGSY]
Members
23,329 posts
17,304 battles
13 minutes ago, S7CentNickel said:

Still trying to think if which coal & FXP dd's I want, Neutrashimy, Marcaeu or Z-44. or use my fxp on the Freiseland. 

If you're considering getting the Friesland, I assume you either already have or don't want/need the Alaska (decision to be made by tomorrow night, and after that you wail in darkness).

All of your choices are high skill floor and not to be taken lightly. When buying a premium ship, I always consider what it adds to my fleet's capabilities in the context of the way I play the game. For example: hitherto I've played a lot of co-op, and Z-44 is a very bad choice for that because the thing she gets (an extra 2km range on the torps above any other German ship) in exchange for what she loses (hydroacoustic search) is of no added benefit there. I already have a T-61 if I want a German premium DD to have fun in co-op; I don't need Z-44, and I'm not devoted enough to German destroyers overall to pick it up on general principles for Random/T9 Ranked play. Your situation may well be different, but that's the way I approach every potential ship acquisition.

I sometimes spend a lot of time in the Premium Shop or the Armory just looking at stuff, reminding myself of all the reasons why I haven't bought [insert ship here] yet, and acknowledging that the reasons for not making that purchase are still valid. When the reasons for NOT grabbing a ship STOP being valid, out comes the wallet.

[WOLF9]
Members
455 posts

Already have the Alaska, Georgia & Thunderer.  The Z-44 is probably on the bottom of my list for the reasons you stated above, just not sure I want to burn everything for the extra steel at this time (I'll still be short of affording the Smalland or Somers one way or the other).

[WOLF9]
Members
1,134 posts
23,033 battles

The only resource I have in abundance at the moment is Coal (around 350k), and I have ship for dubloons coupon, but only 4k dubs.

Luckily, there are no ships I really want right now that are available as I bought a ton the last week of December.  Still waiting for the resource that the Marco Polo will be available for.

Done grinding for today, having promoted my last T7 DD to T8 (Oland).

Will just do the daily missions tomorrow, and then wait for the new missions on Wednesday.

Also waiting for LWM's take on Cruiser Captain skills. 

Otherwise, see you all around later.

[ARGSY]
Members
23,329 posts
17,304 battles
6 minutes ago, kyesac said:

Also waiting for LWM's take on Cruiser Captain skills. 

Bear in mind that Mouse mostly advises for Randoms, and that there are compromises you can afford to make in co-op vs others you can't (for example, my personal experience supports the contention that any CV main not taking Last Stand on all cruisers and destroyers is either very brave or very insane).

8 minutes ago, kyesac said:

Done grinding for today, having promoted my last T7 DD to T8 (Oland).

Personal opinion again - upgrade the torpedoes first. Your experience will be so much better when your fish hit for 10K each (before deductions for torp mitigation) instead of 7K.

23 minutes ago, S7CentNickel said:

just not sure I want to burn everything for the extra steel at this time

Yeah, the question came into my mind recently of what I want and how close am I to getting it? For me, the answer to the first was "Most probably Plymouth" (unless they make Vampire 2 for steel) and the second "Not before the next Snowflakes round". So why burn resources in a hurry now if it's not going to get you what you want?

[ARGSY]
Members
1,892 posts
5,832 battles
14 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Yeah, the question came into my mind recently of what I want and how close am I to getting it? For me, the answer to the first was "Most probably Plymouth" (unless they make Vampire 2 for steel) and the second "Not before the next Snowflakes round". So why burn resources in a hurry now if it's not going to get you what you want?

Indeed 'lil EC.

Plymouth is a flat out better version of Mino...already a superb ship with Vampire looking to topple Daring. Since I know of your allegiance I know what your choice will be!

The highlight of this new patch is of course the Trumpet of Jericho being added to ELs Ju-87s rendering the GZ completely obsolete!  

[WOLF9]
Members
1,134 posts
23,033 battles
1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Bear in mind that Mouse mostly advises for Randoms, and that there are compromises you can afford to make in co-op vs others you can't (for example, my personal experience supports the contention that any CV main not taking Last Stand on all cruisers and destroyers is either very brave or very insane).

Personal opinion again - upgrade the torpedoes first. Your experience will be so much better when your fish hit for 10K each (before deductions for torp mitigation) instead of 7K.

@Ensign_Cthulhu - I use LWM's post for her take on the feasibility of the skills, not always going for the specific builds.  One difference is on Secondary BBs.  I went for the whole thing (one 3 pt skill and 2 x 4 pointers).  Another is Deadeye - I don't use it at all, preferring CQC since I send most of my ships in to at least medium range.  I haven't assigned anything to Cruisers yet, and haven't played them much since the rework dropped.

On my DDs, I went with the skills on the right hand side - PM, Last Stand, SE, and Concealment.  No other skills have been assigned yet.  I also got a good post from reddit on DD skills.  I am pretty sure I will be taking torp skills on the EUs, because those torps are so pathetic.  Just being lazy so far.  Maybe in a week or two I will look into a lot of these builds.

WoWS Community Contributors
3,477 posts
13,893 battles
12 hours ago, ditka_Fatdog said:

Had fun games in random. Some better than others. Still haven’t figured out Fletcher. She’s a great dd but I think I’m playing her overly aggressive.

Added akizuki to port on Saturday and by patch end I should have enough xp, or need limited free xp, for Kagero, Gearing, Montana, and Zao (regrind for Ohio). then it will be time to knock a few flakes off and put 4 new ships in port, well 5 but I’ve had zao for a while before regrind. I enjoyed the IJN cruiser line so I’ll probably reset again

Curious to see what new ships will be available, if any, before deciding to spend coal. I could use torp boat training I think but z44 doesn’t seem terribly unique. The 80+ steel to own her soon has an added benefit but I’m still on the fence

If you would like to PM me a replay I can get a coaching video done for you in the next few days.

[ARGSY]
Members
23,329 posts
17,304 battles
3 hours ago, kyesac said:

Maybe in a week or two I will look into a lot of these builds.

Safe thing to do is zero the captains out while skill resets are still free, sit on them, and use the Public Test Server to try stuff out with no commitment and no live-server resources on the table.

[A-I-M]
Members
3,851 posts
14,851 battles

WoWs time was way down this weekend, with family in for a visit.

Decided to pay for some of the Huzen final stages, primarily to get the Steel. Did so, got the 2k steel plus clan bonus. Also got Vanguard out of the Santa crate. Decided to fork over for the final stage and got Hizen, and cleared its steelflake.

Bought Nuestraslimy and cleared its steelflake.

Bought Seattle and cleared its steelflake. Sold Seattle and Izumo. (Flake was cleared a few weeks ago.)

Ground to Albemarle, and started its grind.

[ARGSY]
Members
23,329 posts
17,304 battles
9 hours ago, MannyD_of_The_Sea said:

Bought Nuestraslimy

Why do I think this is NOT a typo? :Smile_veryhappy:

[A-I-M]
Members
3,851 posts
14,851 battles
1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Why do I think this is NOT a typo? :Smile_veryhappy:

It’s not a typo, but it is an error!

I had meant to call it/her “Nutra-slutty,” per a prior conversation we had. :Smile_teethhappy: You were charitable in your assessment of her character, and presumed she might be simply “misunderstood!”