tangofan

Any reason to keep tier 1-4 ships in port after successor ships are unlocked?

14 comments in this topic

[BTLST]
Members
125 posts
4,191 battles

I understand that from tier 5 onward keeping ships in port, even after all successor ships have been unlocked has some tangible benefits,  e.g. for the Christmas Snowflake event.

Are there any benefits to keeping ships from tier 1-4 in port, once the successor ships have been unlocked or is it best just to sell them? I'm running low on port slots and selling some would be helpful.

[INTEL]
Members
7,756 posts
36,923 battles

Not really unless a) you like them or b) they are premium ships. Note, this does not apply to Tier I which are worthless and free to repurchase.

At the beginning when you are low on port slots, that might be a reason.

After years of playing and over 250 ships in port, the only T2 to T4 I kept are as said, Premiums and a couple of other ships I like. When do I really play them? Never. Why? WG in its infinite wisdom decided they do not contribute to daily missions.

That said, a couple of Tree ships are fun. In my case Derpski and Bogatyr. Maybe St. Louis. (I kept all three).

Edited by alexf24

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
25,204 posts
21,009 battles

Only reason to keep them is if you want to.

[ENDO]
Members
284 posts

These are the reasons why you should keep tiers 1 to 4:

• If you want to research the line again then it is cost effective to keep them. When one researches the line again the system sells all prior ships and modules. If one does not have the module, the system will buy it at full price and sell it at half price. I believe this works the same with ships that are not own in the line.
  • If you have a low tier with a permanent camo. It is sometimes fun to play it.
  • If a new line emerges that branches off of a tier 1 to 4 ship.
  • If you are interested in a collector emblem?

The reasons to sell are:

• Lack of port slots and want to save your cash.
  • Lack of credits.
  • Lack of interest playing them.
  • No desire to be a collector.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
9,664 posts
25,147 battles

Yeah there probably isn't a really good reason to hang on to them unless you really like playing the ships. I would make sure you have all the missions done from "Five Epochs of the Navy" campaign done before selling them off since you need some low tier ships to get them done. 

[O_S_D]
Members
229 posts
18,067 battles

I have 149 ships and only 7 are tier 1 to 4.  A couple of premiums and a few I like playing occasionally.  Plus the 5 Epochs of the Navy campaign made me think I need at least one ship at each tier if they do that again.  I have over 20 open port slots now.

[SRM]
Members
275 posts
19,056 battles

If you are collecting them, I have a few like T-3 K Albert  

[CVA16]
Members
6,172 posts
19,039 battles

Snowflakes?

Not a great reason but if you have port slots to spare....

[WHS]
Beta Testers
67 posts
7,981 battles

I would keep them to play with people who are newer to the game, but I have gotten a number of low tier premiums for free over time, and I don't get as many new people playing the game with me recently...

Also the premiums get used when one of my friends is grinding a new line. They don't play nearly as often as I do.

Members
682 posts
220 battles

@tangofan

Keep them for the club achievements.  Sell when you need the port slots... which is never as WG keeps giving port slots away.

image.thumb.png.c098a1fb82b081a36122b60c5739452c.png

Edited by Laser_Beam

[55TH]
Members
43 posts
5,069 battles

I keep a couple so I have them on hand for when I get friends to get into the game, and sometimes it's just fun to jump down to low tiers and meme with a division. St. Louis, Derzki, and Mikasa come to mind. I also tend to keep Kuma just because she's a monster of a T4 cruiser.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
9,664 posts
25,147 battles
15 minutes ago, Verdha603 said:

I keep a couple so I have them on hand for when I get friends to get into the game, and sometimes it's just fun to jump down to low tiers and meme with a division. St. Louis, Derzki, and Mikasa come to mind. I also tend to keep Kuma just because she's a monster of a T4 cruiser.

These are all great ships and so fun to play. Kuma is probably my favorite tech tree cruiser. The only other TT ship I would mention at that tier is Clemson. When I first started, people used her to seal club noobs all the time. It is a fun ship and a good boat. I just got around to playing her again as I was cleaning up missions after finishing the Epochs campaign. There was a mission for Clemson to farm some flags and I had a blast doing it. 

Edited by Taylor3006

[TFFOX]
Members
1,089 posts
2,801 battles

I keep around my premiums

[WPORT]
Members
8,118 posts
13,166 battles
On 2/16/2021 at 12:23 PM, mrkimba said:

These are the reasons why you should keep tiers 1 to 4:

• If you want to research the line again then it is cost effective to keep them. When one researches the line again the system sells all prior ships and modules. If one does not have the module, the system will buy it at full price and sell it at half price. I believe this works the same with ships that are not own in the line.
  • If you have a low tier with a permanent camo. It is sometimes fun to play it.
  • If a new line emerges that branches off of a tier 1 to 4 ship.
  • If you are interested in a collector emblem?

The reasons to sell are:

• Lack of port slots and want to save your cash.
  • Lack of credits.
  • Lack of interest playing them.
  • No desire to be a collector.

@mrkimba covered the pros & cons nicely.

Personally, I like to keep ships because
~ I enjoy playing them
~ I am a member of the Collector's Club
~ They're useful during *snowflake* events
~ Having them around means I have potential story material that I may utilize when I write pieces of fan-fiction in the "If our commanders could talk ..." forum topic.
https://forum.worldofwarships.com/topic/221037-if-our-commanders-could-talk/