You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
KingoDingo

What's with people going AFK at the start of the match?

31 comments in this topic

[WDWTS]
Members
136 posts
3,103 battles

Just came out of a full Tier X came where our Daring AFK'd at the beginning of the match after reversing to the map border. He came back about 10 minutes in and said he was surprised the game was lasting this long, and left again.

This isn't an issue that I encounter every game but when I do it's extremely frustrating. I've had this happen in Ranked as well. These aren't people who DC because of network problems or anything along those lines, but instead intentionally state their purpose of avoiding the match. There needs to be some kind of temporary ban punishment in place for these people because as it stands nothing is done about them whatsoever. 

• Cool 1

[SIM]
Members
5,789 posts
9,263 battles

If you have a replay, you may want to submit a ticket. That’s more than just having to go AFK, that’s intentionally attempting to throw a match.

[PVE]
Members
7,877 posts
23,851 battles
46 minutes ago, KingoDingo said:

Just came out of a full Tier X came where our Daring AFK'd at the beginning of the match after reversing to the map border. He came back about 10 minutes in and said he was surprised the game was lasting this long, and left again.

This isn't an issue that I encounter every game but when I do it's extremely frustrating. I've had this happen in Ranked as well. These aren't people who DC because of network problems or anything along those lines, but instead intentionally state their purpose of avoiding the match. There needs to be some kind of temporary ban punishment in place for these people because as it stands nothing is done about them whatsoever. 

When they just do it you can only use the "report AFK" report in game as there's no way to prove it wasn't just an emergency that came up where they ran to back to be less easy to farm to try to preserve their points for the team...

But if they actually entered chat to admit to doing it intentionally then you should submit a ticket as it probably is a banable offense (not at 1st of course...there will be co-op only 1dt for them & if repeatedly reported for it it can lead to a ban...but you will never know the outcome as they'll just do what they do & not let you know 1 way or the other.

• Cool 2
  • Meh 1

Members
4,098 posts
44,123 battles

It was explained to me by some players that there are some incidents occuring. No confirmation by WG on this forum but it will probably be something soon.

All I know is it occurs in nearly all battle modes and I have observed it alot in my battles especially when I use Battleships especially in Co-op.

I don't know the reason behind it and WG probably does, but I am guessing that they will not be able to tell us everything about it either.

If anything, WG will only inform us of any action taken to deal with it.

At least based on player information.

But so far, some of that information is unconfirmed.

We are probably going to hear more Monday.

[1984]
Members
4,482 posts
21,506 battles
1 hour ago, KingoDingo said:

Was it a cv match? Some players are voting with their wasd as it were.

btw in game reports apart from misbehavior in chat are worthless, only the aforementioned has ny effect whatsoever. Submit a ticket if you want, support will tell you they have it under control.

[INTEL]
Members
7,756 posts
36,930 battles

I was in a T6 game yesterday. The green CV started moving and kept moving in a straight line. Not launching planes. Acting like a bot (nay, bots play better). Kept moving full speed aimed at a gap between islands until it reached B cap and was promptly  killed at the 4 minute mark. Went downhill from there. His XP: zero. Never did anything but run straight ahead. Infuriating. Of course we lost. Of course everyone reported and so did a few red players. Not fun WG.

[TIGRB]
Members
245 posts
2,699 battles

I have been noticing in a lot of games we have FAKE afk's at the start. DD's and some cruiser players are just sitting there until some other players are out in front of them. Their guns have turned so they are their but won't move. I have called a couple of dd players out as to why they are not moving and get the usual foul mouth answer back. Only one admitted he was sick of being out front and getting hit quickly in the game. I asked him if it's that bad, why not play another ship type? 

He came back asking why team mates would not support him in the cap. I answered just because we are not in the cap with him does not mean we are not shooting at the ships he spotted. I guess he wants cruisers and BB's to cap with him.

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
3,920 posts
4 hours ago, SteelRain_Rifleman said:

It was explained to me by some players that there are some incidents occuring. No confirmation by WG on this forum but it will probably be something soon.

All I know is it occurs in nearly all battle modes and I have observed it alot in my battles especially when I use Battleships especially in Co-op.

I don't know the reason behind it and WG probably does, but I am guessing that they will not be able to tell us everything about it either.

If anything, WG will only inform us of any action taken to deal with it.

At least based on player information.

But so far, some of that information is unconfirmed.

We are probably going to hear more Monday.

eh?  are you saying a game issue?  a player issue? a technical issue?  

i've not seen these afk players but playing mostly coop, i am not overly concerned with what the rest on my team are doing until its almost over and we are about to lose... 

[ARGSY]
Members
23,388 posts
17,330 battles
3 hours ago, monpetitloup said:

Was it a cv match? Some players are voting with their wasd as it were.

Not an appropriate response.

4 hours ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

an emergency that came up where they ran to back to be less easy to farm to try to preserve their points for the team...

If I were genuinely doing that, I would at least type "sorry afk emergency" or something like that into the chat.

In co-op, set your ship to run straight into the enemy base so that at least you provide your team some spotting before you die. I did that once in the Mutsu and the goddamn ship actually survived to the end of the battle and took the cap for the win!!! (I'd told the team what I was doing, so they probably reacted to it and took full advantage.)

• Thanks 1

[WTAF]
Members
237 posts
9,118 battles

I imagine a likely scenario is a player wanting to grab their snowflakes before they expire but they don't have time to play. So they enter a match but don't play and go work, walk the dog, or make dinner or something, then repeat with another ship.

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
3,920 posts
10 minutes ago, Kenrod_Melrocity said:

I imagine a likely scenario is a player wanting to grab their snowflakes before they expire but they don't have time to play. So they enter a match but don't play and go work, walk the dog, or make dinner or something, then repeat with another ship.

i thought of that as a way to get my snowflakes for the 3-4 dd's i own...   in the end i played coop... only to get 2 losses in a row in gremy... so i gave it up.

[1984]
Members
4,482 posts
21,506 battles
41 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

If that’s his reason then clearly he thinks it is an appropriate response.

[ADR]
Members
4,521 posts
17,071 battles
6 hours ago, SkaerKrow said:

If you have a replay, you may want to submit a ticket. That’s more than just having to go AFK, that’s intentionally attempting to throw a match.

you mean like BBs who sit back on start line and don't move?   Oh because Deadeye is in the game, it's "using a skill right?"

Me, once I see half or more of my teams BBs not moving, I just sit behind them  and listen to the salt flow.

• Boring 1

[WOLFG]
Members
32,294 posts
10,021 battles
2 hours ago, SkullDuggery05 said:

DD's and some cruiser players are just sitting there until some other players are out in front of them.

I do that a lot, at least until I know where the planes are.

[WOLFG]
Members
32,294 posts
10,021 battles
1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Certainly true in some cases however.

[WOLFG]
Members
32,294 posts
10,021 battles
10 minutes ago, Shadowrigger1 said:

you mean like BBs who sit back on start line and don't move?   Oh because Deadeye is in the game, it's "using a skill right?"

Ironically, they make excellent targets for your own Deadeye lol.

[ARGSY]
Members
23,388 posts
17,330 battles
9 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

I do that a lot, at least until I know where the planes are.

In a DD with carriers in the game, I try to stay no more than 5km in front of the nearest cruiser or BB at the start; carrier drivers looking for easy pickings with rocket fighters often won't persist if they're faced with a BB or cruiser; they'll scout elsewhere or come back with more appropriate ordnance to handle the bigger ship.

[WOLFG]
Members
32,294 posts
10,021 battles
1 minute ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

In a DD with carriers in the game, I try to stay no more than 5km in front of the nearest cruiser or BB at the start; carrier drivers looking for easy pickings with rocket fighters often won't persist if they're faced with a BB or cruiser; they'll scout elsewhere or come back with more appropriate ordnance to handle the bigger ship.

I agree, although sometimes the nearby ships have weak AA, in which case I just ignore them and carry on lol.

[--O--]
Members
994 posts

Rolling Black-outs across many areas right now along with sporadic power fluctuation because of the storms.

Im in Northern Arkansas and had a few problems with power but holding for now, -4 air temp wind chill to as bad as -28 below ZERO, ZED, NOTTA BURRASSCOLLDDD...

The OP's situation should get a ticket sent in as that is a throw and possibly even a cheat where a person sinc drops from two PC's so they can farm massive damage as they know where everyone is....

Members
26 posts
401 battles
8 hours ago, KingoDingo said:

I would love to see a replay of this.

What you've described should be banned in ranked.

As it stands now, it's an effective way to "earn" ranked rewards without taking the time to play the game.

[-N-]
Members
2,247 posts
15,101 battles
8 hours ago, KingoDingo said:

Usually one of two things:

1.  Person had to stop for a personal reason of some kind (Door, Work Phone Call) I have seen.

2.  They are running Match Making Monitor and didn't like the make up of the team or CVs and just go boarder humping to take themselves out.

[PHD]
Members
1,851 posts
7,262 battles
3 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

In co-op, set your ship to run straight into the enemy base so that at least you provide your team some spotting before you die. I did that once in the Mutsu and the goddamn ship actually survived to the end of the battle and took the cap for the win!!! (I'd told the team what I was doing, so they probably reacted to it and took full advantage.)

In one CoOp match I saw a stationary AFK BB sink a bot DD. LOL

[PVE]
Members
7,877 posts
23,851 battles
4 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

If I were genuinely doing that, I would at least type "sorry afk emergency" or something like that into the chat.

What's inappropriate about his response? It's an accurate potential response to OP's inquiry.

Whether the action is an appropriate action or not doesn't mean his response is.

& even if you think he is just trying to turn it into another CV rant thread...it may actually be the situation.

As for your battle...saw the replay... well-done.

1 hour ago, Mustangrde1 said:

The OP's situation should get a ticket sent in as that is a throw and possibly even a cheat where a person sinc drops from two PC's so they can farm massive damage as they know where everyone is....

Throw yes...but doubt their going to announce they thought the match was over already if they're doing the sync drop thing.

[ARGSY]
Members
23,388 posts
17,330 battles
31 minutes ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

What's inappropriate about his response?

I was referencing ragequitting as a response to seeing CV in the matchmaking. That's what's not appropriate.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
5,736 posts
21,821 battles
29 minutes ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

What's inappropriate about his response? It's an accurate potential response to OP's inquiry.

I think he was saying that a player engaging in that behavior would be responding inappropriately to the presence of a carrier. Not that the poster was being inappropriate for bringing it up.

And yeah, AFKs do seem to be up in some places. I feel like the game client has had an increase in instability lately, but it's also not as if people haven't been crashing or AFKing from the dawn of online gaming. If an incident is particularly egregious, send customer service the replay. You have no way of knowing whether it was an isolated incident or a pattern, but CS does if they get multiple reports about the same player. Only for really bad behavior though, garden variety AFKing they usually just leave to the automated pink/orange system.