Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Dognes

American Dive Bombers: What am I missing?

9 comments in this topic

[ROAD-]
Members
19 posts
2,106 battles

In my experience with an American carrier (primarily with the Lexington), I find the dive bombers to be something I only use when I am all out of the other planes. For me, they tend to mostly get killed on approach. When I do get through, they don't seem to do a lot of damage. For me, the torpedo planes are much more effective and survivable and they do way more damage.

Recently, I was watching Ahskance on Twitch and he mentioned that he takes extra health for his American dive bombers because they are "special".

Did I miss hear that or am I missing something?

[KSC]
WoWS Community Contributors
1,153 posts
12,341 battles
46 minutes ago, Dognes said:

In my experience with an American carrier (primarily with the Lexington), I find the dive bombers to be something I only use when I am all out of the other planes. For me, they tend to mostly get killed on approach. When I do get through, they don't seem to do a lot of damage. For me, the torpedo planes are much more effective and survivable and they do way more damage.

Recently, I was watching Ahskance on Twitch and he mentioned that he takes extra health for his American dive bombers because they are "special".

The US Bombers are their High-Maneuverability plane-type, as well as having high penetration and fire chance.  For me, this makes them a stand out for the line at nearly every tier.

You can certainly go with additional Torpedo Bomber health, or even Rocket Health (for the Lexington), but that comes down to personal preference.

-----

The other strength with the bombers is the ability to interact with Destroyers.  While the reticle is too large for good damage on a cruiser (relative to its max health), they are capable enough at tracking DDs through turns and causing chip damage with the occasional nasty RNG-slap.  This means your Dive Bombers can assist in fulfilling two roles (front-line harass and back-line harass).

[GWG]
Members
7,403 posts
14,192 battles
48 minutes ago, Dognes said:

Your playstyle depends on your build...
Sounds like you have everything on torpedo planes.

With the UU on the Midway, it shifts over to HE bombers with increased damage and health.
So if you follow that and adjust the ship modules and captain skills - you will get there with bombers than can club ships.

They have nerfed so much on US CVs.  The US torpedoes are not even scary.  If I'm facing a Midway or Lex, I'll just ignore their torps and push through.  I once got hit with 23 Midway torps and survived.

[ROAD-]
Members
19 posts
2,106 battles

"With the UU on the Midway"

I have a Midway, but I don't take it out much because I am a n00b with it and the Tier X players are quite hostile. :)

What is the "UU"?

As for using bombers on destroyers, I have never tried that because I tend to struggle to hit cruisers. I figured DDs would be pointless. It sounds like I am not making the most out of their maneuverability.

[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,851 posts
4,290 battles

UU is Unique Upgrade, now only obtainable through the research bureau. I forget what Midway's does.

DBs on the USN CVs have nasty alpha and light fires. Very good against DDs. Bring in the rockets, chip away, force them to smoke or run. Then come back a minute later with the DBs, usually they don't expect that. harder to land hits, but you'll pick it up. A couple of DB hits and it's bye-bye DD.

They chunk cruisers and BBs pretty good too, a decent drop should do 5-6Kish damage and light some fires. Not spectacular but nothing to sneeze at. Also more forgiving to crazy turns on the way in compared to TBs. I use them as my number 2 after rockets, there's just a lot out of your control with TBs IMO.

[-TKS-]
[-TKS-]
Members
1,001 posts
8,042 battles
10 hours ago, AJTP89 said:

UU is Unique Upgrade, now only obtainable through the research bureau. I forget what Midway's does.

DBs on the USN CVs have nasty alpha and light fires. Very good against DDs. Bring in the rockets, chip away, force them to smoke or run. Then come back a minute later with the DBs, usually they don't expect that. harder to land hits, but you'll pick it up. A couple of DB hits and it's bye-bye DD.

They chunk cruisers and BBs pretty good too, a decent drop should do 5-6Kish damage and light some fires. Not spectacular but nothing to sneeze at. Also more forgiving to crazy turns on the way in compared to TBs. I use them as my number 2 after rockets, there's just a lot out of your control with TBs IMO.

Unique Upgrade for Midway is +10% Speed and +10% Damage for HE Bombers.

@Dognes , like AJTP89 said, the Bombers are supreme and can do many things depending on what you like to do.

Personally, I put a bit more upgrades into the torpedoes, but run the unique upgrade for the bombers. The bombers are your main, MAIN, weapon vs Destroyers. get comfortable in Co-Op waiting to drop the bombs till < 1 second.

Avoiding a Halland, is always preferable but this is your best tool to hit them when you need to. 

Also, the Bombs are godlike on Battleships, being able to do 20k plus (and start fires, are you kidding me?). 

Cycling through your plane types is very important, so try to do that best you can. For me, it's usually Bombs, Rockets, Torps, in that order, but Bombers the most. 

EDIT: Also I would support your decision to run the Lex more, even your ranger, before getting back into the Midway; tier 10 is really unforgiving. Get comfortable running your dive bombers on destroyers; think about how they are turning and where they are going to be and think about the mistakes you made in previous attempts and then adjust accordingly.

Edited by Merc_R_Us

[ROAD-]
Members
19 posts
2,106 battles

Thanks for the replies. I will see if I can put all this good advice to use. :)

[ROAD-]
Members
19 posts
2,106 battles

One thing I am noticing is that the bomber aiming reticle seems to hold steady if I maneuver after starting my attack run.

Until now, I have been starting the dive bomber attack run, then trying to hold it steady like I do with the attack planes. But, maybe that is not necessary?

[-TKS-]
[-TKS-]
Members
1,001 posts
8,042 battles
13 hours ago, Dognes said:

One thing I am noticing is that the bomber aiming reticle seems to hold steady if I maneuver after starting my attack run.

Until now, I have been starting the dive bomber attack run, then trying to hold it steady like I do with the attack planes. But, maybe that is not necessary?

Correct. It actually does a really good job of tightening up despite your turning. Highly recommend watching Ahskance on twitch. He really goes over this kind of stuff with you

Sign in to follow this