Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
WhiteCoatClubber

Drop in the level of play in operations

81 comments in this topic

[BUF]
Members
68 posts
6,633 battles

Hi All

Has anyone noticed a drop in the general level of play in operations lately.  Just had a game in Killer Whale with the north exit where the team just refused to get into the exit.  I don't think it was malicious but a total lack of situational awareness and a basic understanding of the exit criteria.

Just seems like a lot of people come into operations just to lose.

WhiteCoatClubber

[CO-OP]
Members
2,826 posts
28,416 battles

All of the KW games I've played this week were 3+ stars, no defeats.  Most everyone seemed to know how to play the scenario.  The only exceptions usually got killed, and didn't affect the final outcome.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
29,858 posts
25,782 battles

Solo Queueing Ops has always been a dice roll in the quality of a team.

Even in the straight forward Narai you can have some teams that just defy expectations on how bad the player base can be.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 2

[SALVO]
Members
26,129 posts
29,129 battles
1 hour ago, WhiteCoatClubber said:

Hi All

Has anyone noticed a drop in the general level of play in operations lately.  Just had a game in Killer Whale with the north exit where the team just refused to get into the exit.  I don't think it was malicious but a total lack of situational awareness and a basic understanding of the exit criteria.

WhiteCoatClubber

The more recent operations battles I've fought have had good teams.  But I have had some Killer Whale battles where teams refused to enter the exit point and it was very frustrating.

I'm not sure if it's a basic understanding of the exit criteria or just some casual players who don't care about winning and only care about shooting stuff.

[SALVO]
Members
26,129 posts
29,129 battles
37 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Solo Queueing Ops has always been a dice roll in the quality of a team.

Even in the straight forward Narai you can have some teams that just defy expectations on how bad the player base can be.

The trick often seems to be whether the teams just don't understand what the operation's requirements are or if they're just bad players at their core.  It's probably a little of both.  I've certain seen plenty of players on Narai who don't understand where they should be going with what ships.  But I've also seen some players who really are bad at fighting their ships. 

[WOLF7]
Members
97 posts

Yea KW it's a toss up, lately every cv player on KW is new or don't know the objectives. I just don't wanna wait on 10 cvs on queue probably like 5 mins wait time. I posted on another thread bout a cv player stayed at spawn area in KW you can guess what happen when two bbs showed up. Now I have to play cv just to win.

[CVA16]
Members
6,172 posts
19,039 battles

I have had some good games but more crap teams than I have seen in years. Especially noticeable for the CV when the guy has no clue what he should be doing. Dive bombing forts, chasing down transports. Staying at the spawn until suddenly they are surrounded by red boats (and then asking for support). 

Too many players seem to think its a good place to try out that new T6 DD also. I've had three on one team. Only one of which was qualified to bring one.

Some teams completely ignore the red warships when those transports show up. I will be the only one shooting at the docked BB until all the transports and shore facilities are dead. Some teams seem clueless that  you have to get half the ships to the exit or you get NO stars.

How can there be that many players that have never played this OP before? 

• Cool 1

[CVA16]
Members
6,172 posts
19,039 battles
3 minutes ago, Hard_Stylzz said:

I posted on another thread bout a cv player stayed at spawn area in KW you can guess what happen when two bbs showed up.

Just posted about that myself while you were posting and I'm pretty sure we weren't in the same match. Must happen a lot!

Wish WG would at least put a warning up when someone decides to bring a CV into a scenario that tells them they don't have enough games in the ship or the scenario to play the OP successfully. Please pick another ship type. Need the same warning for DDs I suppose. Likely most would ignore it anyway 'cuz they know they can kick bot posterior there. 

[-BCO-]
Members
1,835 posts
3,390 battles
3 hours ago, WhiteCoatClubber said:

Hi All

WhiteCoatClubber

Yep. For some games I even gone for the spawn myself in my Cl's . I don't condone that kind of "tactics" because takes out the fun factor, generally speaking and from the team. But I just had enough. Cv players just flying around, BB's going in to deep, players not even trying to head towards exit...  I was on my way to get the Thud and....I needed the wins. Besides anything less than 3 stars in KW, I consider a loss.It is the most easy operation.

Edit: Generally speaking and overall, I had much better teams in Newport.I mean the recent cycle.

Edited by Bandi73

[KREW]
[KREW]
Members
477 posts
20,732 battles

My favorite is the BB drivers who get to this point and realize "oh, I'm the one they've been telling to turn around..."

InkedBriefing-Operation_Killer_Whale_LI.jpg.e63e177ac24135d62bc92101675b0693.jpg

[WOLF7]
Members
97 posts
46 minutes ago, Admiral_Kartoffel said:

My favorite is the BB drivers who get to this point and realize "oh, I'm the one they've been telling to turn around..."

InkedBriefing-Operation_Killer_Whale_LI.jpg.e63e177ac24135d62bc92101675b0693.jpg

Usually I like to go up north and take out kolberg and Kaiser, I never go past those islands near port in a bb no need they come to you. Take out forts while I'm waiting on ships. I think my record for destroyed forts in bb is 8 that's this week it happen.

Edited by Hard_Stylzz
Forts Destroyed total from 7 to 8
  • Cool 1

[WOLF7]
Members
97 posts

8  forts destroyed with a lost, cv died earlier in spawn, our cruiser didnt want to exit but died anyway near the exit up the north end.

World of Warships 2_12_2021 5_22_35 PM.png

• Sad 1

[KREW]
[KREW]
Members
477 posts
20,732 battles

Going in from North is my favorite way to go in BB. Best way to learn the Op too in my opinion.

Had a fellow clanmate in our Ops div yesterday who had never played KW before. He was in an Arizona, spawned all the way in back. 
Suggested going to the North from spawn to take out the forts, then take shots of opportunity until the second wave spawned.
He watched what the rest of us did on the mini-map, took care of the second wave, communicated. 
We must have done it over 15 times in a row, at least 10 were 5 star, tactical expertise. 
Today, he was calling out spawn times.
And decided to start the UK light cruiser line after watching a PUG Leander "steal his kills" up north. :Smile_trollface: 

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
29,858 posts
25,782 battles
21 hours ago, Crucis said:

The trick often seems to be whether the teams just don't understand what the operation's requirements are or if they're just bad players at their core.  It's probably a little of both.  I've certain seen plenty of players on Narai who don't understand where they should be going with what ships.  But I've also seen some players who really are bad at fighting their ships. 

The typical WoWS player isn't that good in the game.  Add to that, to be an actual asset in Operations requires familiarity.  There are good players that can screw up an Op simply because they're not making the right decisions optimal for an Op's success.  So it's easy to see why a randomly put together Ops Team can be very terrible.  Some Ops out there already suck to begin with, i.e. "Defeat at Newport" but the previous points just make it even worse.

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
3,919 posts

i think i've played at least half a dozen mebbe 8-10 KW's...

most have been 5's, but there were 2 complete fails, and 4 star in there, i just dunno what some of these players are thinking, the exit spawns in the west and they continue heading to the NE corner...  or the CV and BB are in the enemy port...

Members
72 posts
3,988 battles

KW has been like 95%+ WR this week and ive played it a lot, seen some really good BB players carry and a couple CV players put on absolute seminars on how to dominate. Watched a DD go north immediately and camp northern spawn line and just drop fish into the sides of the reinforcement waves as they spawned, was a little gamey but still impressive none the less.

Ive actually seen more good to really good teams that bad, and even the bad teams we typically had a BB to carry us to a win.

Aegis seems difficult to lose

Raptor it seems I get losses when im out hunting the DDs or CVs and you look up to as you get that "mission failed raptor lost" message once in a while

Naval Station Newport is a waste of time, as with most people I take that week off....

Narai is so much fun even the losses are better than playing coop. Narai is just a non-stop shooting gallery...

• Cool 2

[WOLF7]
Members
97 posts

My first go on my newly bought Leander just Now. Great Ship for ops, BTW i didnt load up all the signals but i did have premium. 30 sec left it would been a loss if CV didnt make it in time... close one 

Got 5 stars

World of Warships 2_15_2021 7_41_10 PM.png

[WPORT]
Members
8,118 posts
13,166 battles
On 2/14/2021 at 7:04 PM, WhiteCoatClubber said:

Hi All

WhiteCoatClubber

I played Killer Whale several times this past weekend.
It was a mix of players with varying levels of experience in that scenario operation.
Had a few 5-star finishes, though, among the total games played.

We all started as "newbies" at some point.  

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
29,858 posts
25,782 battles
On 2/16/2021 at 4:02 AM, Swervenkill said:

Leander is an awesome ship, maybe the best in the line.

Fiji, IMO.  Even better is that she's Tier VII and a fine candidate for one of the best Cruisers to take into Narai.

• Cool 1

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
29,858 posts
25,782 battles

Ops teams are always up and down in quality, unless you go in with a Premade Team.  Yesterday when taking Munchen and several BBs through Narai, none of my teams could finish better than 2 stars.  Yesterday I watched a Helena die to the Nicholas at the Transports Route.  One game yesterday I was the only ship in the bay protecting the transports until other players arrived quite late.  Today a handful of runs, all have been 5 stars except for one 4 star game.  One game today someone flubbed the Transports route but someone in a Cruiser got out fast enough to save the star.  Another game someone messed up the CV route.  I can't blame them, CV route is the hardest to do, but still someone got out there fast enough to save the star for over there and got back in time to help in the bay.

You never know what it's like when you solo queue Operations day to day until you're in the middle of a game.  Some days even Narai stinks, some days the teams are really good.

[-BCO-]
Members
1,835 posts
3,390 battles
1 hour ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Another game someone messed up the CV route.  I can't blame them, CV route is the hardest to do, but still someone got out there fast enough to save the star for over there and got back in time to help in the bay.

Idk if you noticed, but Narai has changed. Fixed the Bretagne and dd "bug" and now the Phoenix (and sometimes the Nicholas as well) remain in the bay charging the incomers, be it transports, or ....other ships.The Cv now sometimes go completely alone.

[CUDA]
Members
286 posts
8,014 battles
8 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Fiji, IMO.  Even better is that she's Tier VII and a fine candidate for one of the best Cruisers to take into Narai.

I like Fiji, good ship with lots of guns but I think Leander is a better tier 6 than Fiji is at tier 7, primarily because of Leander's acceleration. I'd like to see Arethusa as a pocket version of the Leander, perhaps a premium Tier 5 giveaway. 

[D4RK]
[D4RK]
Members
42 posts

Well   for starters   there haven't been a drop in  players abilities  in ops this is the way it has been from the start. 

i get sunk about once a month in my bbs in a narai what i have noticed is the yolo's have increased  why do you need to be 2 inch's from a ship to hit is beyond me  when you have 15 k range gun.

i  am  happy when teams stink  because there is more pot. damage i can get when there dead.

i do not approve of the change they made to the cv task  for  one   when the nic goes inside and it dose often the cv task  is  worthless.  if there intent was to make bay a bit harder just add a ship for that . not screw up the cv task by letting escape naked  with out support.

i have done  narai and kw with 4 players  often  and with 5 is ice cream  as well...

The reason people go north early in kw is  if you wait till everything is dead the Kohlberg will enter bay before you get there  thus loss of a star. 

and the reason people go deep into the bay  is the fault of the cv player  not getting the albert moving early. i suggest killing albert   and transports  with the cv  gives players no reason to go deep   there will always be one or two going  deep anyways .

when i play with pugs in a cv thats exactly what i do  i kill albert then all the  transports  check to see if one is going north then finish off kong  if no one goes north i kill kolberg ,the kaiser will not enter  then i go kill the 2 bbs....

i played about 30 kw a day last week   and had maybe 1 fail  95 % 5 stars ..there  many reasons  that op pugs are bad  for one they don't read the instructions for the win. #2  its there first time and they follow other bad players  . #3  hell bent on killing defenseless transports for easy kills. # 4 no communications from vets helping those who want to learn.  and #5  waiting to long to get that last kill  and time runs out .

3 tips  

#1  bbs kill the turrets asap this is critical  before even the ships the dds that rush into harbor cant kill them and get tore up  so kill them  first  then kill the stuff that's shooting at you.

you wont stop the dds from rushing in that's what they do  so help them by killing the forts.

#2 dd/cls don't rush into harbor give the bbs a chance to kill the turrets  there is no repair so if you want to survive till the end wait sec for bbs to do there job. your job is clean up  and defense on exit  if your half dead your no help.

#3 as a bb there is no reason you should be inside the inner inner harbor  you have range use it to kill from a distance  you do not have to be 1 inch from a ship to kill it.

and lastly  one person should always go north early  when is the right time you ask  when the kong is engaged <not sunk> you should be on your way.

i can be found in ops chat every day if you want help learning  ops 

good luck

image.png.8ea1192bee7528bc9cf4709a32255494.png

bp.jpg

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
29,858 posts
25,782 battles
11 hours ago, Bandi73 said:

Idk if you noticed, but Narai has changed. Fixed the Bretagne and dd "bug" and now the Phoenix (and sometimes the Nicholas as well) remain in the bay charging the incomers, be it transports, or ....other ships.The Cv now sometimes go completely alone.

I saw that a bunch of times the last few days, Phoenix defending the bay instead of pushing ahead of the Lexington.

Also noticed the Dallas in the bay pushing out early instead of waiting for a player to get close to the entrance.  If players have been hanging back instead of pushing in front of the transports, you can lose transports this way.  The Dallas will push out, shoot things up, and then do a 180 degree turn to go back in the center of the bay.

Two days ago I took Munchen solo for the CV route and only dealt with Nicholas and the Lexington.  Phoenix was nowhere to be seen going my way.

Sign in to follow this