Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
EraserNZ1

feedback on the game in 2021

6 comments in this topic

[Y0L0W]
Beta Testers
353 posts
8,913 battles

I have been playing since alpha and seen how the game has evolved over the years and the current meta is the worse its ever been. I'm making this post because i want to give my feedback on how i would get the game back that i used to love playing with friends. Every class has a reason to play passive these days and its really showing in the game play in such a negative way. I understand WG wanted to give us very powerful ships we would get excited about and want = making money but it has come at great cost to gameplay and in the long run is costing WG players and money. My clan has pretty much stopped playing the game is just not fun anymore so why bother right?

Things i think are driving the passive meta today

• Battleships

Back in the first couple of years in the game battleships only had to be worried about been slammed by torps playing aggressive or been out of position and eating cits from other battleships.The HE spamming ships at the time like the Zao could take them down over time but it was not a quick death like it is now. Then came along a little boat that changed the game the Worcester that had extreme fast firing guns that could punish a battle ship so quickly burning it alive. Since then we have had a lot of HE spammers across all classes. The share speed you go from been set on fire twice to damage con to been back on fire is so fast these days. I think WG tried to give battleship players something to address HE spam Kremlin but even that can still go down quick to fire from things like Harugumo, Smolensk.

Forces battleships to play the game like cruisers so they don't burn alive (sitting at extreme ranges and using islands as cover).

I think lowering the fire chance on rapid firing guns is much needed to extend the time to die from fires to allow BB's to be more aggressive.

• Cruisers

Except for Zao i have not played that many cruisers as it's not really the play style i like but i have seen what the current meta has done to cruiser play. The amount of large caliber guns that have been added to the game in the last few years has made long range open water play such a lottery. Back when I used to play the zao you could position your self well so your angled to battle ships that could shoot you and mitigate damage and support front line ships these days its not unusual to eat 1-2 cits angled from a kiting position because of all the over matching that's going on.

Its forcing team comps full of Russian cruisers so they can tank and not be over matched easily. Clan battle comps are kinda a joke and no diversity at all now.

I think the only way to allow cruisers to play more aggressive is to make it so they can angle against 457's to mitigate damage again instead of just been over matched.

• Destroyers

I don't think its going to be any surprise to anyone of why destroyers have to play so passive these days and that's the spotting from Carriers and the damage from beloved rocket planes. As a DD main the games been a ruff ride since the carrier rework that's for sure. The game went from what dd am i going to play tonight to a very narrow selection that i can still do well in and not get frustrated to the point of not wanting to play anymore. Its often the unintentional spotting from planes that are just flying over to a target behind me that causes the most problems.

I have played a lot of carriers since the rework so i'm not just a dd main that's anti CV i would just love them to be balanced

Capture.JPG

Some ideas on possible changes to cv's.

• Give planes there speed back and lower the number of planes in a wave to say 4-5 and have one attack run only (would need to buff there damage too)

The worst thing about the rework for me was the number of planes in the wave allowing multiple attack runs and this is bad for a few reasons.

1. The targets that get hit hard are targets that do not have the AA to fight back in first place, like a tier 8 cv attacking a tier 6 target is just disgusting. I have killed tier 6 battleships with kaga torp planes before they even have had time to leave the spawn because you just have free rain to keep attacking the target multiple times. Even as the cv player that felt bad.
  2. With large waves it means NOTHING to shoot some planes down.
  3. Even the rare times you hit some flak most of the time you can still attack one or two times

This would make shooting down a plane or two more meaning full as your lowering there strike on you making you feel like your AA is doing something. If the the cv misplays and hits flak he gets punished for it.

• Give planes a fuel counter in the ui and once they run out the planes return to cv

Limiting the range on planes to force the cv to move to a flank they want to support so they don't have free rain over the whole map. This will also give players time to leave the spawn before they are attacked/spoted and also move to another flank if they want to avoid the planes.

• Have a travel mode and attack mode for planes

You could have a travel mode for planes where they are faster and use less fuel but can't spot some targets like dd's then left click droping lower been slower using more fuel and can spot everything.

Would lower the amount of unintentional spotting cv's do

• Standardize plane health

There is no reason planes in higher tiers have to have more health, what that does is cause a CV to be to strong when top tier and under perform when bottom tier.

Balancing AA would be so much easier and players will still feel like the higher tiers there getting more powerful because of the armament not have super planes that the AA does nothing to.

• Cool 1
  • Thanks 4
  • Meh 2

Members
5 posts
1,817 battles

I was actually going to make a post on this same topic. Many of the things you stated are similar to my ideas. One other thing I think needs to happen is nerfing the HE on battleships (especially Thunderer and Conqueror). Battleships have a pretty high fire chance and can penetrate very large amounts of armor. If the maximum penetration and the fire chance of battleship HE were nerfed I think that would also help because they would no longer be able to shoot HE at the back of the map and still be able to get pretty hefty salvos. I also think that Carriers need to have a nerf to their AA. I don't know why but it seems like they have way better AA than all of the surface vessels. I also think that DDs should have a nerf to their HE fire chance. Sure they only have about 8% (in Daring's case) per shell but it adds up when they can shower you with 128 shells in one minute. I've attached a file of notes that I have made. It's pretty messy because I haven't finalized it. Note that only I am not saying all of them should be in place (that would create a huge mess). I'm open to feedback if you're willing to give it.

Rebalancing Between Ship Classes, Ideas Proposal.pdf

[Y0L0W]
Beta Testers
353 posts
8,913 battles
2 hours ago, Brigadoon1 said:

I also think that Carriers need to have a nerf to their AA. I don't know why but it seems like they have way better AA than all of the surface vessels.

the reason for this is because carriers are so powerful if one cv snipes the other one right at the start the game it's most likely game over. In testing Jap cv's could take out cv's just because their torp planes are so good.

[XXII]
Banned
862 posts
957 battles
On 2/14/2021 at 9:24 AM, EraserNZ1 said:

• Standardize plane health

There is no reason planes in higher tiers have to have more health, what that does is cause a CV to be to strong when top tier and under perform when bottom tier.

So, t4 ships fighting planes with t10 level health, or AA insta-wiping out t10 planes?

[NSS]
Members
26 posts
1,848 battles

This game is so heavily invested in Destroyers it makes me sick, I can only play with BB's and before it was fun, but it just isn't anymore. AP needs to do exactly what it would do in real life if it hit one, blow them into a million pieces smh. 

They should also do stuff like having ranked battles but for all tiers, idk. Instead of setting it up so you make money. 

[GISH]
Members
5 posts
3,203 battles

This thread brings up a lot of good points. Particularly with cvs I think having a mandatory reconnaissance plane/squadron that would be used to spot only. Especially in the beginning of the match while the rest of the planes are on cool down and this would also allow for the recon squad to be used if other planes ran out giving relief to a ship that may be overly focused by a cv. 

Sign in to follow this