You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
neptunes_wrath

HEY!! IMPORTANT CAPT SKILL INFO YOU MAY NOT KNOW

33 comments in this topic

Members
3,200 posts
591 battles

IT PAYS TO LEARN THINGS.....

I did not know this until just now watching NOZOUPFOROU vids this weekend (along with many other popular vids trying to figure out the best builds)

IF YOU MOVE A CAPT FROM A TECH SHIP ( having skilled him for that particular ship) AND MOVE TO A DIFFERENT CLASS PREMIUM SHIP, you reskill him for THAT CLASS, for free, while retaining his skill for the other tech tree, different class ship..

unless you already knew this, this is VALUABLE INFO, especially for your high tier , max skill captains..
In other words, SKill a capt specifically for your ZAO and he keeps those skills. Move him to , lets say, your Musashi (BB)_ Skill him specifically for that ship and he keeps THOSE SKILLS FOR THAT SHIP, while keeping Zao skills for moving him back..
Sounds complicated? Nah   just now going to be much easier to move high tier capt's to premium ships while retaining the skills for any and every class ship in that nation for ONE CAP...

Edited by neptunes_wrath
  • Funny 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Boring 2

[DOG]
Members
1,259 posts
13,083 battles
2 minutes ago, neptunes_wrath said:

I did not know this until just now watching NOZOUPFOROU vids this weekend (along with many other popular vids trying to figure out the best builds)

IF YOU MOVE A CPAT FROM A TECH SHIP ( having skilled him for that particular ship) AND MOVE TO A DIFFERENT CLASS PREMIUM SHIP, you reskill him for THAT CLASS, for free, while retaining his skill for the other tech tree, different class ship..

unless you already knew this, this is VALUABLE INFO, especially for your high tier , max skill captains..
In other words, SKill a capt specifically for your ZAO and he keeps those skills. Move him to , lets say, your Musashi (BB)_ Skill him specifically for that ship and he keeps THOSE SKILLS FOR THAT SHIP, while keeping Zao skills for moving him back..
Sounds complicated? Nah   just now going to be much easier to move high tier capt's to premium ships while retaining the skills for any and every class ship in that nation for ONE CAP...

Yes.  And if you have a premium Japanese DD or CV, he can have skills specific to those ships too.  The only thing you need to be careful about is that, once the free respec is over, those Zao skills will be locked in for any cruiser you use that captain on.  Most of the time this is not an issue.  But if you have a weird premium cruiser, like Yubari, those Zao skills might not be optimum.  Same with Atlanta, Flint, Smolensk, etc., or with, say, American BB's, where you might want a secondary build on some of the premiums, like Georgia or Massachusetts, but it would be kind of a waste on all the other BB's, where you want to focus exclusively on main guns.

Members
3,200 posts
591 battles
3 minutes ago, zubalkabir said:

Yes.  And if you have a premium Japanese DD or CV, he can have skills specific to those ships too.  The only thing you need to be careful about is that, once the free respec is over, those Zao skills will be locked in for any cruiser you use that captain on.  Most of the time this is not an issue.  But if you have a weird premium cruiser, like Yubari, those Zao skills might not be optimum.  Same with Atlanta, Flint, Smolensk, etc., or with, say, American BB's, where you might want a secondary build on some of the premiums, like Georgia or Massachusetts, but it would be kind of a waste on all the other BB's, where you want to focus exclusively on main guns.

actually no, I believe CRUISERS skills stay in cruisers... Premium or not... Moving from Zao to a premium cruiser, is not retrainable to that cruiser even if its premium, ONLY separate class ships get reskills for that class..

[PVE]
Members
106 posts
3,196 battles

Absolutely I use lutgens on my GK.  I also use him on the Pommern, Mainz and the z61. 

Three different classes of ship three different builds one captain cost nothing.

Members
3,200 posts
591 battles
5 minutes ago, Filthywon said:

Absolutely I use lutgens on my GK.  I also use him on the Pommern, Mainz and the z61. 

Three different classes of ship three different builds one captain cost nothing.

ljgtD1h.gif

[EQRN]
Members
2,208 posts
19,737 battles

One thing that was a surprise to me, and I'm sure it was mentioned someplace but I missed it, is that captains in training have *zero* benefit to the ship, unlike before where they could have half the benefit.  For example, CE would give 5% detection bonus while training, now gives 0%.  That change seems totally unnecessary to me.

Members
3,200 posts
591 battles

My concern however is that when the free rework is over CAN YOU STILL PICK SKILLS FOR EACH PREMIUM CLASS if you capt is now reset to Zero, pending skill picks...???

Members
3,200 posts
591 battles
1 minute ago, FrodoFraggin said:

One thing that was a surprise to me, and I'm sure it was mentioned someplace but I missed it, is that captains in training have *zero* benefit to the ship, unlike before where they could have half the benefit.  For example, CE would give 5% detection bonus while training, now gives 0%.  That change seems totally unnecessary to me.

capts that are retraining for a new ship have 100% of those skills picked if put in PREMIUM ship, but while in the ship they are retraining for , well they have no benefit at all, never did, while in that ship... the 50% was, and I believe still is, the amount of training they have left, for credits you get to HALF train them, instead of FREE  retraining that has to start at ZERO instead of half...

• Meh 2

[CO-OP]
Members
2,781 posts
28,250 battles
9 minutes ago, neptunes_wrath said:

actually no, I believe CRUISERS skills stay in cruisers... Premium or not... Moving from Zao to a premium cruiser, is not retrainable to that cruiser even if its premium, ONLY separate class ships get reskills for that class..

^^This is correct.  Once you set skills for a particular class of ships it is locked in for that class until you reset it.  So your Zao skills will be the same for an Atago.

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
5,081 posts
22,443 battles
1 hour ago, neptunes_wrath said:

IF YOU MOVE A CAPT FROM A TECH SHIP ( having skilled him for that particular ship) AND MOVE TO A DIFFERENT CLASS PREMIUM SHIP, you reskill him for THAT CLASS, for free, while retaining his skill for the other tech tree, different class ship..

Yes, this can be "One Captain to Rule them All....."  That is, until our host sees what we are up to and closes that option...."  Which, I believe they will...........  So, till then, My Special 5 CPT's are the only ones driving ships.  If I knew this would stay the Rules for a while, I'd get rid of every other CPT's I own......  Why keep 35 (x) CPT's when 15 (x, y & z capable) work just fine???

[WOLFG]
Members
32,225 posts
9,984 battles

You two are basically saying the same thing lol, at least that's how I read it.

• Cool 1

[SWOLF]
Beta Testers
807 posts
8,553 battles

capts that are retraining for a new ship have 100% of those skills picked if put in PREMIUM ship, but while in the ship they are retraining for , well they have no benefit at all, never did, while in that ship... the 50% was, and I believe still is, the amount of training they have left, for credits you get to HALF train them, instead of FREE  retraining that has to start at ZERO instead of half...

no, as he said previously, in the quote you quoted, comanders used to gain 50% benefit from skills in battle while retraining. they now gain 0 benifit from captains in retraining.

it is now 50% cheaper to retrain fully in terms of exp, without the silver cost as you said, but the cost of retraining and the effect of a retraining captain are 2 different things 

[SGSS]
Members
5,722 posts
2 hours ago, neptunes_wrath said:

This it the best part of the the rework.  You can have all kids of crazy builds.

[ARGSY]
Members
23,286 posts
17,234 battles
3 hours ago, neptunes_wrath said:

I did not know this until just now

:fish_palm:

• Funny 2

[PVE]
Members
7,826 posts
23,766 battles

Cruiser skills stay in cruisers...but he was saying that a build you have for a specific cruiser (say the Zao as in your example) may not be ideal for certain premium ships (like the Yubari in his example) you are able to transfer the commander to.

So you ideally want (if you got the ECXP to do it) to have at least 2 commanders for each nation so you can have different build options for each ship type...

Say a gunboat DD build on 1 & a torp boat DD build on the other...

Or a brawler BB vs a survival build BB...

& an IFHE cruiser build plus a non IFHE cruiser build.

(Don't CV so no examples for them)

Cruisers will probably have many other build choices due to all the variations of them that there are (CL/CA/Battle Cruiser's [CB I believe]).

But in the meantime...even a non optimum build is better than no commander so go with what you got as opposed to not running the premium because the build isn't optimum (some of the skills will still be good for it as opposed to not having a commander at all).

2 hours ago, Filthywon said:

Three different classes of ship three different builds one captain cost nothing.

Types...not classes...

Only clarifying because there are different classes amongst the same types.

My concern however is that when the free rework is over CAN YOU STILL PICK SKILLS FOR EACH PREMIUM CLASS if you capt is now reset to Zero, pending skill picks...???

Yes...if reset to zero presently you will be able to specialize them for free later (you will need to pay/retrain to transfer them to a different tech tree ship...but it will be free to transfer them to a premium of a different type & set the skills for that ship type on the premium) ...but it will cost 500 doubloons to respec each ship type from now on...but the other ship type builds will not be reset at the same time.

IOW...500 doubs don't allow you to respec the whole commander...just 1 ship type at a time (after subs are introduced it will take 2500 doubs to respec a whole commander in all of the 5 types at once).

1 hour ago, Asym_KS said:

Yes, this can be "One Captain to Rule them All....."  That is, until our host sees what we are up to and closes that option...."  Which, I believe they will...........  So, till then, My Special 5 CPT's are the only ones driving ships.  If I knew this would stay the Rules for a while, I'd get rid of every other CPT's I own......  Why keep 35 (x) CPT's when 15 (x, y & z capable) work just fine???

Due to the need to spend 500 doubs for each ship type to retrain now I don't think it will be changing soon.

45 minutes ago, GX9900A said:

no, as he said previously, in the quote you quoted, comanders used to gain 50% benefit from skills in battle while retraining. they now gain 0 benifit from captains in retraining. (Some skill worked at 1/2 benefit but others didn't work at all)

it is now 50% cheaper to retrain fully in terms of exp, without the silver cost as you said (actually that's not what he said...he implied that you can still spend credits to cut the costs), but the cost of retraining and the effect of a retraining captain are 2 different things 

Some skills used to allowed 1/2 benefits (those that had a percentage basis or an amount of change got 1/2 the percentage/amounts while retraining) while things like priority target didn't work at all. Now nothing works at all until retrained.

There's no more using credits to cut training costs in 1/2...but all training costs have been cut in 1/2 so there's no need to spend the credits anymore (example... transferring a 19 point commander used to cost 250k XP & that could be cut in 1/2 to only 125k XP for 200k credits...but now it only costs 125k XP & you don't need to spend any credits to cut it in 1/2 anymore).

• Cool 1

[DOG]
Members
1,259 posts
13,083 battles

Yes.  That's what I meant.  OP would need to make sure the skills he is using on Zao would also be optimal for any premium cruisers he plans to use that captain on.  Skills that work on Zao would probably also be good on, say, Yoshino, but might not be what you'd want for  something like Yubari, since you may want to go full AA build on that, for instance.  I use the same commander for Zao and Yoshino, but have a separate commander for Yubari.  That's what I was getting at.

[META_]
Members
218 posts
3,148 battles

Yes.  All captains can have a set of skills for each class.  It has nothing to do with premium ships aside from the fact that you can assign a captain to a premium ship without retraining.  If you had a captain trained for Zao and assigned him to Yamato, he would have a clean skill tree for BBs available, the same as if you'd assigned him to Hizen or Musashi.  You'd just have to re-train him before using the skills on Yamato (and then re-train him again for Zao if you sent him back - but he would keep the same skills you had assigned when he was trained for Zao before).

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
3,915 posts

i just need 2 more sets of captains skills now for each class!!

i need one set for pvp, another for pve, and a 3rd for ops..

thanks!

[-BCO-]
Members
1,818 posts
3,252 battles
9 minutes ago, SKurj said:

i just need 2 more sets of captains skills now for each class!!

i need one set for pvp, another for pve, and a 3rd for ops..

thanks!

Well....you mean one need two 21 pointers? PER SHIP?? Yes you are correct.

[-BCO-]
Members
1,818 posts
3,252 battles
3 hours ago, Skpstr said:

You two are basically saying the same thing lol, at least that's how I read it.

You see now, what I meant back then?

[-BCO-]
Members
1,818 posts
3,252 battles
5 hours ago, FrodoFraggin said:

Members
2,069 posts
12,691 battles
Just now, Bandi73 said:

WG gives out a free premium with each new line they release so I'm having trouble believing that.

[-BCO-]
Members
1,818 posts
3,252 battles
4 minutes ago, Rouxi said:

WG gives out a free premium with each new line they release so I'm having trouble believing that.

Erm...not exactly sure what you mean by that...

Members
2,069 posts
12,691 battles
Just now, Bandi73 said:

Erm...not exactly sure what you mean by that...

Retraining captains fully work on premium ships. WG gives out free premium ships all the time. Therefore this is not a "money grab" because WG is constantly giving players the means to not pay money for this.

[WOLF1]
Members
2,946 posts
5 hours ago, Asym_KS said:

huh? unless you only play premium ships, moving between tech ships cost retraining/money, lol

so any tech ships you want to play you have to have a dedicated captain

Edited by Happy668