You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Hyperion728

Why only a single mass skill reset?

24 comments in this topic

[KIA-C]
Members
203 posts
20,652 battles

What's the deal with only being allowed a single mass commander skill reset?  I mean, what difference does it make?

Ok, so inherently my fault for not reading the whole thing but I'm trying to figure out the "why" behind it since they can still be reset manually for free.

I mass reset right after it was available but after a lot of moving around, multiple campaigns, dockyard, multiple ranked, multiple clan brawls, boatload of snowflakes, and an awful lot of experimenting with skills, I found myself with a mess.

So for the first time in 5 years, I properly organized (optimized) the placement of all my captains, on the thought of just mass wiping the skills again and living happily ever after but... nope.

What's the take-away here?   Thanks ahead.

[HINON]
Members
14,007 posts
14 minutes ago, Hyperion728 said:

What's the take-away here?

Reading everything, especially with a massive rework, is vital.

• Cool 1

[RLGN]
Members
15,657 posts
27,371 battles

Unfortunately, because of exactly what you wanted to do. Meaning there would likely be at least two mass resets x however many players equals all that moolah WG wouldn’t get.

• Cool 2

[PVE]
Members
10,923 posts
18,896 battles

I do believe ti said, a one time reset of all Commanders.

Members
7,360 posts
17,403 battles
1 hour ago, Hyperion728 said:

What's the deal with only being allowed a single mass commander skill reset?  I mean, what difference does it make?

Ok, so inherently my fault for not reading the whole thing but I'm trying to figure out the "why" behind it since they can still be reset manually for free.

I mass reset right after it was available but after a lot of moving around, multiple campaigns, dockyard, multiple ranked, multiple clan brawls, boatload of snowflakes, and an awful lot of experimenting with skills, I found myself with a mess.

So for the first time in 5 years, I properly organized (optimized) the placement of all my captains, on the thought of just mass wiping the skills again and living happily ever after but... nope.

What's the take-away here?   Thanks ahead.

Who says this was intentional and isn't just because of a limitation of WG's programmers abilities?

• Haha 4

[SCK]
Members
171 posts
23,339 battles

I thought it was kinda odd as well. I did a reset when the released the reset button and planned on doing another before it expired. Seems kinda crazy that I have to manually reset anything I played now.

[PVE]
Members
5,095 posts
22,557 battles
3 hours ago, DuckyShot said:

Who says this was intentional and isn't just because of a limitation of WG's programmers abilities?

I'm assuming your post was a little Dark Humor.....

Because it was intentional and the programmers did as they were instructed: change the game economy by offering more choices that hide overall degraded effects and effectiveness; that, create meta opportunities that sells more ships.......  That way, they can constantly "evolve" the meta to enhance sales and can honestly say "they listened to the customers;" and,..........................made everyone play more for less and made money doing less actual work for more revenue.....

Something new?  Nope, it's been around since...........the first MMO's.......  I even posted a sample of another game's Skill Tree Change to illustrate just how far you can push "choice"......

2 hours ago, Freedomshells said:

I thought it was kinda odd as well. I did a reset when the released the reset button and planned on doing another before it expired. Seems kinda crazy that I have to manually reset anything I played now.

Actually, they count on many not reading, not understanding what the rules or skill relationships are; and that way, they make even more money in the process.  This is all slight of hand if you will allow that analogy:.........."Choices" disguise and dilute "Effectiveness;".........because, there are so many and you can't have all of them (remember there are only 21 points)...........so, you have to lose more than you had and gain less than you would have before..........each and every match.....  PERFECT........for them.  Most games that go this route stall and a lot implode and fade into a few thousand die-hard players on almost empty servers.....  My example was sold last year and still on life support.

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
3,919 posts

was communicated clearly before you pushed the button the first time...

Members
3,200 posts
591 battles

Here is the best way to explain how to do it...(It is what I did)
MASS RESET and go play a few dozen games with your most played ship(s) in each class...
THEN

I reset all my captains, with more than 6 points to Zero to restart... and am leaving it that way until my YOUTUBE research is done, then I will start up again...

Oh and, this is the most important part...:

BUY THUNDERER with coupon and code for 189K Coal,,..

[WOLF8]
Members
707 posts
9,482 battles

I would be surprised if WG doesn't offer another mass reset after the introduction of subs.

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
3,919 posts

my only issue with the reset and the rework... is argggh.. the countdown is on.. and i can't make up my mind!!!   i need a second set of skills for each class just for PVE, oh and another set just for Ops....

arrgg

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Banned
16,985 posts
8 hours ago, DuckyShot said:

Anyone who has been paying attention to how WG does business over most of a decade.

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Banned
16,985 posts
5 hours ago, Asym_KS said:

Actually, they count on many not reading, not understanding what the rules or skill relationships are; and that way, they make even more money in the process.  This is all slight of hand if you will allow that analogy:.........."Choices" disguise and dilute "Effectiveness;".........because, there are so many and you can't have all of them (remember there are only 21 points)...........so, you have to lose more than you had and gain less than you would have before..........each and every match.....  PERFECT........for them.  Most games that go this route stall and a lot implode and fade into a few thousand die-hard players on almost empty servers.....  My example was sold last year and still on life support.

But if games don't change, they die!   /s

Also, I got one of their in-game surveys today.

And of course, when I said there was zero chance I'd recommend the game now, the survey just ended -- WG doesn't care why people don't play, they're only interested in answers that feed their ego or give them clues on how to sucker in more players.

Edited by KilljoyCutter
  • Cool 1

Members
574 posts
48 minutes ago, KilljoyCutter said:

But if games don't change, they die!   /s

Also, I got one of their in-game surveys today.

And of course, when I said there was zero chance I'd recommend the game now, the survey just ended -- WG doesn't care why people don't play, they're only interested in answers that feed their ego or give them clues on how to sucker in more players.

That makes me wonder...WG claims to have overwhelming demand for these massive changes...WG surveys auto-close if you add negative input...the few surveys that have positive answers must be the ones requesting these changes. 

If I get to fill out one of these surveys, I'm gonna say this is the best game ever and would love to have guided anti-ship missiles, 27 point commanders, nuclear subs, etc.:Smile_trollface:

Edited by OuijaApologist

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
3,919 posts
8 minutes ago, OuijaApologist said:

That makes me wonder...WG claims to have overwhelming demand for these massive changes...WG surveys auto-close if you add negative input...the few surveys that have positive answers must be the ones requesting these changes. 

If I get to fill out one of these surveys, I'm gonna say this is the best game ever and would love to have guided anti-ship missiles, 27 point commanders, nuclear subs, etc.:Smile_trollface:

i haven't seen this...  I had the survey popup a couple times this year, and even with a positive it was a one question survey..

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Banned
16,985 posts
2 minutes ago, SKurj said:

i haven't seen this...  I had the survey popup a couple times this year, and even with a positive it was a one question survey..

There are times when a lot of people get the survey in the same short time span, and those who report answering more positively get several more questions while those who report answering more negatively get just that one question.

Members
574 posts
1 minute ago, SKurj said:

You are referring to the infuriatingly vapid "how much did you enjoy this battle" question I take it?

[SNGNS]
Members
601 posts
6,978 battles
54 minutes ago, KilljoyCutter said:

But if games don't change, they die!

the thing is... that is kinda true... at least for the game and profit type wg chose. a game like this, that does not change will get boring fast, it will lose players and become irrelevant. thats fine for games where you pay in advance and but with wows the main income comes from things you buy after you played the game, not before. so wg totally could have made a not changing game, it would probably have a few ships of every nation and the servers would have lasted for a few years, but no changes would have occured and people would have needed to pay 60 bucks upfront...

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Banned
16,985 posts
2 minutes ago, TobTorp said:

the thing is... that is kinda true... at least for the game and profit type wg chose. a game like this, that does not change will get boring fast, it will lose players and become irrelevant. thats fine for games where you pay in advance and but with wows the main income comes from things you buy after you played the game, not before. so wg totally could have made a not changing game, it would probably have a few ships of every nation and the servers would have lasted for a few years, but no changes would have occured and people would have needed to pay 60 bucks upfront...

There's a difference between adding content, and making changes.

Sadly, WG keeps wasting so much time and effort on making unwanted, unneeded, counter-productive changes, that their added content keeps getting worse. 

[PVE]
Members
5,095 posts
22,557 battles
11 minutes ago, OuijaApologist said:

I had one survey this year that was three pages....  And yes, I oppose Carriers and want changes to the game that would make sense: not line our host's pocketbook "immediately..."   First world, content expansion of the product is massively expensive and as far as I know, I think they disbanded their R&D team last year......  I could be wrong; but, I believe that is what I think I read last year>?

And yes, this is a small niche market now firmly in a "Brown Ocean mature game" paradigm.  As sooooo many before it get to after 4 or 5 years of play.   The solutions to that slippery slope position is only one thing:  first world quality content expansions......  Otherwise, video game history "infers and has shown" that games this age stall, get too expensive to expand and the hosts put them on life support till the titles are sold or they simply exist with simple maintenance and count of players trying the hosts "other titles"........  Some close.  Some are sold to other corporations.   There are but a few good choices for us........status quo isn't one of them........

[VOP]
Members
956 posts
8 minutes ago, OuijaApologist said:

You are referring to the infuriatingly vapid "how much did you enjoy this battle" question I take it?

WG seems to ask this after a low damage battle where I get deleted, lol. What answer did they think they would expect? I swear WG has ESP in this case. "Hell yeah! I really enjoyed trying to turn out of that incoming salvo that followed me through a 90 degree turn I started after the shells were in the air and blapped me! Gimme some more!"

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
3,919 posts
27 minutes ago, OuijaApologist said:

ok i guess i didn't actually get a survey then...   just that one shot...

[WOLFG]
Members
32,288 posts
10,008 battles
37 minutes ago, OuijaApologist said:

There's also an occasional popup in port that asks you if you'd like to take a survey.

I don't know if there's more questions, but the first one is a 1-10 scale of "how likely would you be to recommend this game to a friend?".

I answered as a 3, (which is more to do with the core concepts and gameplay and not the quality of the game itself. None of my friends, and only a couple relatives, would play anything more involved than a sports game, FPS, or driving game) and that was the only question.