You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Sabot_100

Pennsacola turrets horrible, unplayable now?

18 comments in this topic

[CVA16]
Members
6,187 posts
19,061 battles

With the skill rebork the Glue the Gears skill hardly helps those glacial turrets. Takes forever to get them on target and God forbid you touch the rudder or  your long awaited target lock breaks. This ship is the poster child as to why this skill need fixed. 

Tried the ship for the first time since the rebork for the scenario. Very painful compared to the Molotov and Dallas I tried first. Grass grows faster than these guns turn. 

[CO-OP]
Members
2,845 posts
28,456 battles

Sensing a theme here:

WG can you buff Pensacola. - General Game Discussion - World of Warships official forum

It's time to update turret traverse speed for all ships - General Game Discussion - World of Warships official forum

To the OPs point, it is faster to turn the ship than the turrets.  This can lead to showing more broadside than is prudent

• Cool 1

[O_O]
[O_O]
Members
5,231 posts
22,836 battles

I need to see this fixed before I come back. Expert marksman, replaced by this, is a joke.

[CVA16]
Members
6,187 posts
19,061 battles

WG might argue that it is only a 1pt skill now so it shouldn't be as good. The problem with that is there is no subsequent skill to boost this even further. You are stuck with glacial turrets forever. It generally takes the fun out of a ship if you can never actually use your guns, if half you time is waiting to get/keep the guns on target (and Pepsi has no torps ).  

Edited by Sabot_100

[USN]
Members
34 posts
6,046 battles

I love my Pens for scenarios. Turret speed is an issue,  but I preplan my target area as far in advance as possible and use the rudder to help things along. Her AP hits heavy and reloads are decent. I pull 100k damage in her often enough to be happy. If there was some way to put a heal on her,  I would take that over a change to turret traverse.

All that being said,  I never use her in randonms and rarely in co-op. She goes out one to two times a day in scenarios, and that's it. 

[GOCRY]
Members
739 posts
On 2/13/2021 at 1:27 PM, Pirate_Named_Sue said:

I could deal with the Pepsi armor, but that turret speed stopped me cold on that grind. Worst part of that ship. GL.

I only ever played Pensacola a couple of times because of the turrets, and that was BEFORE the skill rework!  I have zero interest in playing the ship now.

[TFFOX]
Members
1,089 posts
2,815 battles

I just coughed up 70K FXP for new orleans because I HATED that thing

Members
64 posts
3,511 battles

They are not unplayable. The line more or less has islands in mind, and usable islands are abundant at low tiers, the traverse shouldn’t be that much of a problem if the ship was played correctly. Then when played correctly she packs quite the punch with 10 guns, has 25mm plating to bounce most same tier BBs, and laser accurate secondaries for some reason.

Not everything is designed as an open water cruiser, though I can get the whole idea that Pensacola ended up implemented with features lacking rhyme or reason. I wouldn’t be too upset if the 25mm plating did get replaced by turret traverse.

[DOG]
Members
12 posts
2,315 battles

I'm in the same boat, the turrets can't keep up with the turn speed.  I've got a 12 point commander on this ship and I last maybe 2 minutes unless I run to the farthest corner of the map and wait it out. 

[NET]
Beta Testers
574 posts
6,241 battles

its the nerf she got for being down tiered ages ago from  tier 7 to 6. her guns are 8" and not many tier 6 cruisers have 8" guns.

[GOCRY]
Members
739 posts
21 hours ago, motaz87 said:

its the nerf she got for being down tiered ages ago from  tier 7 to 6. her guns are 8" and not many tier 6 cruisers have 8" guns.

We know why and when it got nerfed.  It’s debatable whether it was needed.  I don’t really care, as “I” find it much more fun to play Dallas.  The thing I like most about cruisers is having the flexibility to respond quickly to changing threats.  Slow turrets make that harder.

[NET]
Beta Testers
574 posts
6,241 battles
3 hours ago, SeaGladius said:

We know why and when it got nerfed.  It’s debatable whether it was needed.  I don’t really care, as “I” find it much more fun to play Dallas.  The thing I like most about cruisers is having the flexibility to respond quickly to changing threats.  Slow turrets make that harder.

alot of newer players i bet have no clue she used to be a tier 7, and i enjoyed here there with un-nerfed turret traverse. she can still do very well at tier 6 you just gotta think ahead a bit more where you want to aim.

[GOCRY]
Members
739 posts

I never said she couldn’t do well. I said I don’t enjoy her slow turrets.  No matter what class of ship you play, you need to think ahead.  If I’m going to play a ship with slow turrets, I’m going to break out a battleship.  In my cruisers, I want to rapidly target a DD that just got spotted.

• Cool 1

[NET]
Beta Testers
574 posts
6,241 battles

thats your choice to pass on her. i enjoy the raw firepower of 8" guns on a cruiser at tier 6. 

[NMKJT]
Members
3,060 posts
8,293 battles

It seems to need BB-lite gameplay, just like the really old Furutaka did. And just like Furu you can't actually take hits like a BB would.

[CAAT]
Members
1,032 posts
4,626 battles
On 2/13/2021 at 12:42 PM, Sabot_100 said:

With the skill rebork the Glue the Gears skill hardly helps those glacial turrets. Takes forever to get them on target and God forbid you touch the rudder or  your long awaited target lock breaks. This ship is the poster child as to why this skill need fixed. 

Tried the ship for the first time since the rebork for the scenario. Very painful compared to the Molotov and Dallas I tried first. Grass grows faster than these guns turn. 

I've been saying it since 0.10.0 dropped, Grease the Gears needs to change, and as someone suggested, to -20% turret traverse time reduction. Easiest solution, fixes ALL turret traverse issues for ALL SHIPS, AND baest of all, it's PERCENTAGE-BASED!!! So it's easy peasey maths too.

the way it works right now is abysmal and bass-ackwards imo.

Edited by SaiIor_Moon
  • Cool 1